Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tjones
May 13, 2005

Minrad posted:

so when did ying go from everyone deciding she was awful to being picked in almost literally every single game of the six invitational

Rush planting with smokes and ying flashes have always been a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Minrad posted:

Gotta go faster. Ying is immune to her own flashbangs, so use the time theyre going off to be fighting.

Despite thousands of hours played, I still didn’t actually know this until recently, and felt like such a clown.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

Shockeh posted:

Despite thousands of hours played, I still didn’t actually know this until recently, and felt like such a clown.

thats why she wears the speed dealer sunnies

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Q8ee posted:

I love Ying's gadget, it's one of my favourites, but god drat I can't play her. People can still just look away and not get flashed, especially if they're tucked in a corner. So I'll trust in my gadget, only to enter a room full of people who can still see just fine. I've since stopped playing her.

Ying's flashes ignore your facing. They're probably out of range. Roll more than one in on staggered timers.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

What about an operator that releases bees and or wasps?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

The only people saying ying was bad were basics handing out hot takes when they didn't like her gun when she launched

Of course the people who have played 3000 hours think differently

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
her LMG could use a slight buff but as it stands it reloads absurdly quickly for how large the mags are

and people thinking fun operators are bad because of their gun keeps pickrates down so you don't have to fight over her

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I played for about two hours with a few friends. Every single round the rando on the team picked Ying and team flashed me. Ying can go to hell!

blame the weakly challenges imo haha

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Krogort posted:

Ying seem to be picked a lot in the Invitational.
Every time I try to play her I find the gun to be really crap...

Yea if you are playing with a pro league team who practice together 16 hours a day and have tactics and poo poo, ying is great. For the rest of us she is loving terrible in every way.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Q8ee posted:

like the dogs they are.

gettin some hostility from you bro

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

My not so hot aiming aside, I thought this was hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbuQoSrXQwU

Glaz gon' back that thing up

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

Penpal posted:

The only people saying ying was bad were basics handing out hot takes when they didn't like her gun when she launched

idk how having flashbangs for a gadget makes up for having the worst attacker gun

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

by worst he means it takes 3 or 4 instead of 2 of the 80 bullets in the drum mag to kill someone if she misses their head

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
you'll have to come up with something better because every gun can get headshots, and having more bullets in a mag is pointless when your rate of fire is so low. that combined with the low damage makes it the worst gun, yes

if you're gonna go 'but hs' the gun should have the one attribute that helps you get those, which is a high rate of fire.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

way to miss the point. the majority of players in this game aren't getting headshots. shoot them with literally 1 more bullet ftw, big deal

don't worry she still gets breach charges

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

I can kill poo poo bads with any gun. when I actually go up against anyone that got some game I'd like to not have the very worst gun with the highest time to kill.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

yeah, but let's not pretend like the difference between weapons within their classes are anything staggering in this game.

sure you can bust out a chart and min/max to your hearts content but if you want to be dead rear end serious then game sense and teamwork are going to win matches more often than not against players that aren't "poo poo bad", not some minor increase in DPS

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

yeah, lets get real, there's actually zero difference between good and bad things

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

oh please. not the best does not mean unviable. you can play literally any operator in this game and do alright until upper plat

to say ying is outright bad is ridiculous. especially in hostage mode. fuze isn't nearly as useful as her there despite having some of the best weapons in the entire game lol

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
personally I just like yolo breach rushing with the shotgun. I've won a lot of games where the roamers just literally didn't make it back in time because people rarely expect ying and a shield op to be on the point within 20 seconds of round start.. she's also just a real monster and an rear end in a top hat on maps with any vertical play, just tear up the floor after planting some charges and let someone with a Real gun go to down through the floorboards.

also I wish planting the flashbangs on walls was less finnicky. I swear to god I just throw it at a window and destroy by own breach charge like 10% of the time still, always embarassing to stand there flashing your own team like a dildo.

Minera fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Feb 15, 2018

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Thief posted:

way to miss the point. the majority of players in this game aren't getting headshots. shoot them with literally 1 more bullet ftw, big deal

don't worry she still gets breach charges

The gun's rate of fire is low enough that drat near any other gun is going to beat you to that 4th bullet. It's actually kind of a problem with using the drat thing. It also doesn't mesh well with her gadget. Someone should just give her the CS/LR17 or CS/LR14 or something. Or hell, the QBZ-95 Carbine with it's higher RoF.

I've found uses for it. Those uses usually end with me wondering why I didn't take Fuze's instead though.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Ying's gun can't possibly be worse than Valkyrie's SMG, which IIRC has the lowest DPS of any gun in the game by far. I love her but I had to stop playing her because Lesion and Ela were just soooooooo much more powerful, combined with Dokkaebi's implicit nerf to her.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
otoh, valkyrie cams are the highest possible dps gain for already busted ops like ela as they run outside the moment somebody starts rappeling

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I play the ops with the coolest hats.

Hope this helps.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I play the ops with the coolest hats.

Hope this helps.

This and pink guns.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

valk's smg seems nice but her cams certainly help with readiness

when i think of lackluster SMGs the first thing that comes to mind is the UMP

idk about the stats but if you break it down i suppose the time to kill might take a sliver of fraction of a second longer to end someone

Nebiros posted:

It also doesn't mesh well with her gadget.

i'd recommend the shotgun for Yings that want spam candelas and drop down a hatch or swing in through the same window you just fuze flashed from like comedy option rambo. and at that point you may as well be playing Ash

either way she shouldn't really be breaching and clearing solo unless she is making the most of her timers and map knowledge to enter from a different angle - ideally as the candela is firing off its final flashes. its pretty silly to expect anyone to do this without maining her

disorienting effects don't do much to stop an experienced player from holding their angle and using predictive fire to counter anyone without a shield trying to gank them from that same angle

i guess this is how most people imagine Ying gameplay and expect to play her. Sure, if she didn't have the worst non-shotgun primary weapon in the game she might be better for this... but perhaps that is exactly why she doesn't get an assault rifle because it would be blatantly OP.

in practice her ability is actually best used for completing the objectives of securing a hostage or defusing the bomb, not focused on breaching and winning through pure kills. Thatcher mains should love playing Ying and give her a try. especially since his guns suck too, they should feel right at home!

hostage mode:

- drone site to figure out where traps are
- have thatcher/iq or someone with explosives take out as many as possible
- smoke obj
- stagger flashes to create the widest window possible to run in and steal the hostage and gtfo without stepping on a frost trap

ying owns for rushing in and stealing the hostage. bring a shotgun for this!

bomb mode:

as someone said earlier, she pairs very well with shield users here. ying + blitz is really fun when the bomb site is near the perimeter of the building or isolated on a different floor than the other one.

- cover shield rush
- don't die to traps
- smokescreen plant

now regardless of if you rushed or it is the last 30s of the round, the active defuser phase is when ying really shines imo :frogsiren:

bring the LMG for this. her immunity to her own flashes let her anchor on or near site for improvised defense. her lmg and its phat drum mags and near instant reloads let her lay down suppressing fire all while using candelas in the same way smoke uses cannisters.

Nebiros posted:

I've found uses for it. Those uses usually end with me wondering why I didn't take Fuze's instead though.

Fuze is great for spamming aoe damage but this requires him to phyiscally go to specific areas and prep. Ying's ability has an incredible amount of flexibility and improvisation in comparison which makes her far less predictable

Thief fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 15, 2018

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
https://www.reddit.com/r/Rainbow6/comments/7xm966/why_is_nobody_talking_about_this_new_operators/

It seems like these two share an introduction video. It's in Spanish but someone already made a good translation down in the comments.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Good news everybody!

I'm Bout to play some siege!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

just had an idea for an op, please feel free to tell me how dumb it is and hobble my creativity forever:

- similar to valk, with cams
- has an eyepiece like a silly google glass prototype
- cams don't broadcast visual feed, they use ultrasound or whatever the science-y explanation is
- op doesn't need to open phone to check cams, their google glass 1080p led prototype allows them to see wireframe models of the room at all times, and any operators within
- expensive skin available on day 1 that lets you browse the internet in real time, during a match

that would be pretty fun. the counter op could be some guy that deploys a gadget that disables any normal cams / ultrasound cams in the room

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
I'm thinking about getting this during the Steam sale. Which of the versions would be the best value? I'm leaning towards the Advanced since its only like $5 more than Standard. Also how much is Uplay involved in the game as I've heard nothing good about it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

MelvinBison posted:

I'm thinking about getting this during the Steam sale. Which of the versions would be the best value? I'm leaning towards the Advanced since its only like $5 more than Standard. Also how much is Uplay involved in the game as I've heard nothing good about it.

Get either Standard or Complete.
Starter is a scam and Advanced only gives you a bunch of cosmetics.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

just start with the standard edition. this game goes on sale all the time so if you get tired of unlocking stuff for free it shouldn't be a long wait before you cam get discounts on the extra stuff

Azran posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Rainbow6/comments/7xm966/why_is_nobody_talking_about_this_new_operators/

It seems like these two share an introduction video. It's in Spanish but someone already made a good translation down in the comments.

forget pro league sets, i hope we get a bunch of obnoxiously bright and oversized hazmat suits in these cash grab packs to better roleplay on the best and most important map in the game known as bartlett university

Thief fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 15, 2018

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?

Penpal posted:

I'm loving trash and I've always liked Ying. :/

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

MelvinBison posted:

Advanced. Don't go for the cheapest one (the one that gives you two free characters)

Uplay is pretty benign, it's only used to sync saves as well as weekly challenges that are activated through the overlay.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Azran posted:

Advanced. Don't go for the cheapest one (the one that gives you two free characters)

Advanced only gives you 10 lootboxes compared to Standard. There's no reason to buy it.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

unlawfulsoup posted:

This and pink guns.

I use the valentines day skin and call it my "love gun"

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Ying's gun can't possibly be worse than Valkyrie's SMG, which IIRC has the lowest DPS of any gun in the game by far. I love her but I had to stop playing her because Lesion and Ela were just soooooooo much more powerful, combined with Dokkaebi's implicit nerf to her.

Valks SMG is accurate as hell though, it puts bullets where you need them to go.

I think this whole DPS argument is kind of ridiculous because so much of the combat is shooting somebody before they can shoot you. You're dead before you can get all the way from one side of the doorway to the other, and frequently you had no idea they were even shooting at you from until you watch them on the kill cam.

Don't get me wrong, it's fun to catalog stuff and figure out exactly how fast each gun spits out damage, but the caveat to all of that is you're still going to die from a few shots no matter what, so all that information and detailed stat tracking means exactly dick when you vault over a kitchen island at the wrong time and some level 35 guy sends a burst of bullets from his whatever-gun-you-think-is-bottom-tier through the wall and kills your rear end anyways.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Even in the same category, some weapons have double the DPS than other so it really matter.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

What's ridiculous is taking the position of 'nothing matters, do whatever' in a discussion. Why bother discussing anything?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Only hats matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Gun hats are where it's at.