Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
Not hyped. I love FFVII because it's one of the first RPGs I remember playing and all of the charm comes from the blocky characters, pre rendered backgrounds, etc. I like it because it's a product of its time and remaking it to cash in on nostalgia is lame. So much of that game seemed cool when it was being processed through the imagination of an 11 year old. Going through it today fully voiced dialog and a bunch of cutscenes will probably make it cringe inducing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
VIII is better than VII anyway. Tweak it so you get more from Draws and get an editor to hack at the script and it'd be a masterpiece.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

OldAlias posted:

there already is one, for iOS, and it’s the definitive version of FFVI

WRONG the definitive FF6 is FF6 Randomizer: Beyond Chaos:
https://github.com/abyssonym/beyondchaos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV3Yqns8bow

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
The FF IOS releases look terrible though. The sprites look like they're from a flash game but the backgrounds are still pixel art. It's weird.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Final fantasy is unrepentant garbage

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Honestly Final Fantasy 7 getting remade will be wonderful cuz it will show everyone just how f****** stupid it was and we'll see a bunch of dumbass nerds have conniption fits over it

Also if I know squaresoft they will fix everything except for the translation problems, you know like the most problem

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Who What Now posted:

VIII is better than VII anyway. Tweak it so you get more from Draws and get an editor to hack at the script and it'd be a masterpiece.

If you're drawing magic you're a sucker, just convert cards and items. The game is extremely broken and it's great.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

P-Mack posted:

If you're drawing magic you're a sucker, just convert cards and items. The game is extremely broken and it's great.

Fixing draws is to make it more accessible to people who have touched a boob in their life and thus don't have time for all that.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

P-Mack posted:

just get the diablos GF and turn off random encounter all together. the best FF game is the one you dont even have to play

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Just walk into a freezer and freeze yourself. What’s stopping you?

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

P-Mack posted:

Yeah lol if you didn't Craft things from cards and junk wait a minute

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

I played this game from start to finish as a kid and I seriously can't recall a single loving detail about it. I know there were thetans or some poo poo that made magic and the one chick gets killed like a third of the way through the game cause she had too many thetans like the villain dude did.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Will get a lot of flak for this, but final fantasy 4/2 north american version. is the one that should have been remade in 4k/3d/bellsandwhistles. Its basically star wars. but medieval.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

1500quidporsche posted:

I played this game from start to finish as a kid and I seriously can't recall a single loving detail about it. I know there were thetans or some poo poo that made magic and the one chick gets killed like a third of the way through the game cause she had too many thetans like the villain dude did.

its because the plot of the game is absurd nonsense, you're not meant to understand it. only reason it exists is to tie together cool fantasy-industrial backgrounds to fight weird monsters in.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

RobotDogPolice posted:

The FF IOS releases look terrible though. The sprites look like they're from a flash game but the backgrounds are still pixel art. It's weird.

it has the best sound, best graphics, best portraits, helpful hints and other features. it’s the only platform for which it’s truly portable - I always have my iPhone on me

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

OldAlias posted:

it has the best sound, best graphics, best portraits, helpful hints and other features. it’s the only platform for which it’s truly portable - I always have my iPhone on me

just put a SNES emulator on your iphone

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Rutibex posted:

Are there even any good ones?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

OWLS! posted:

Final fantasy is unrepentant garbage

Can confirm

Lime Tonics posted:

Will get a lot of flak for this, but final fantasy 4/2 north american version. is the one that should have been remade in 4k/3d/bellsandwhistles. Its basically star wars. but medieval.

They did that except on the DS so the graphics are kinda ugly and battles run at 15fps, even after they ported it to mobile and Steam.

Anyway the FF7 remake’s no big deal to me because I seriously doubt we’ll see it anytime soon if ever. SE is still struggling to get their poo poo together in making big budget games in less than five years. Hell, nobody knew who was even directing the thing until they asked around and settled on Nomura or whoever, and that was after they loving announced it.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

VI > IX > VII > VIII > X

hth

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Cloud looks anorexic in the remake.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
You got your list backwards

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Lime Tonics posted:

What is there about IV that makes it like Star Wars? If any FF is a Star Wars copy, it's XII.

Anyway, FFVII remake has the potential to be an amazing game, but not in the context of it being made by modern day Square Enix.

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
I just like prerendered backgrounds :(

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

Who What Now posted:

I couldn't deal with X's writing. It seemed like each character was dumb as hell in their own special way. Tidus was an airhead, yuna was dangerously naive, bender was a racist dipshit, kimahri was a special boy, ect. I could not finish it.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Even amongst the elite troops of SOLDIER, Sephiroth is known to be the best. His past is locked away in a confidential file held at Shinra, Inc. His giant sword, which only he can handle, has extremely destructive power. Said to have disappeared in a battle years ago, his current whereabouts are unknown.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Happyimp posted:

I couldn't deal with X's writing. It seemed like each character was dumb as hell in their own special way. Tidus was an airhead, yuna was dangerously naive, bender was a racist dipshit, kimahri was a special boy, ect. I could not finish it.

Tidus was from another world and so understandably doesn't understand Spira's customs, Yuna isn't actually naive but only pretends to be in order to "fake it until she makes it" by going on a holy quest to kill herself to buy her people a brief reprieve from Sin, Bender is a racist but has an arc where he learns everything he taught about the Al Bhed was a lie, and Kimahri is indeed a special boy.

But yeah, I'll cop that the writing ain't the strongest and is especially bad in the beginning.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Who What Now posted:

:chloe:

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Devils Affricate posted:

What is there about IV that makes it like Star Wars? If any FF is a Star Wars copy, it's XII.

Anyway, FFVII remake has the potential to be an amazing game, but not in the context of it being made by modern day Square Enix.

It's a loose fit, but the storys there. Guy seeks redemption to become a paladin/jedi, dark side always tempting, father/son thingy. The main evil dude in the original was emperor palpatine but an alien. you fight an evil empire full of puppets. You meet a diversity of people/religions to fight the evil.

It really is star wars.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Rutibex posted:

hmm no, that sounds like android nonsense. phone controls suck with emulators and I don’t want a stupid controller peripheral for a phone when I can just do that on my computer. besides why would I want to play a worse version when this one is objectively the best?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

VI is mega boring

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
I want to know how they handle Cait Sith. The whole character makes no drat sense at all in the original.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

README posted:

Always have "Sprint Shoes" effect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy_DASt7hDs&t=12s

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Lime Tonics posted:

It's a loose fit, but the storys there. Guy seeks redemption to become a paladin/jedi, dark side always tempting, father/son thingy. The main evil dude in the original was emperor palpatine but an alien. you fight an evil empire full of puppets. You meet a diversity of people/religions to fight the evil.

It really is star wars.

But Star Wars wasn't about a bad guy turned good guy seeking redemption. It was about a kid in the desert getting swept into a giant war. A space pirate and his furry friend provide transportation.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i cant wait to fight a house

in 4k

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
hannah minx tifa cosplay video

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

imagine this fight

but in 3840x2160 resolution

G. O. T. Y.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Who What Now posted:

VI is mega boring

even assuming that, IX worse than VIII and X? I don't think so

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
IX loses major points because it's minigames are garbo.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

OldAlias posted:

there already is one, for iOS, and it’s the definitive version of FFVI

Lmao gently caress off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

935 posted:

Yeah sure I can't wait for the dark gritty reboot where Aerith gets stabbed to death by comically large sword through her chest by (spoiler alert) Sephiroth in glorious 4K 60fps with proper ragdoll physics

i always felt like that scene would have worked better if cloud hadn't gotten interrupted from his mind control thing and just butchered her himself