Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should get the final Elimination Chamber Spot?
This poll is closed.
Finn Balor 5 6.58%
Seth Rollins 0 0%
Squeeze them both into one pod 35 46.05%
Give THE BIG DOG! two pods to himself 36 47.37%
Total: 76 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

Dolph loving sucks, which makes him the perfect choice to be the champion of Smackdown Live, which loving sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Jerusalem posted:

I am honestly flummoxed by whatever the hell is going on with Dolph. He left as a heel, came back at the Rumble in the final spot and was immediately eliminated. Doesn't appear last week, then gets an opportunity to get into the title shot due to unrelated Shane shenanigans. Is still coming out to his record scratch/silent entrance theme, but they're playing the record scratch BEFORE his theme music, then just playing his theme music anyway. He cuts a heel promo backstage but is put into the main event as a face, and the commentators sell him as a face at the end of the show while the crowd cheers for him and he plays to them as a face.

Alright, lemme see if I can piece this together.

- Dolph wins the US Title, abdicates it, leaves as part of his "I hate the fans because they don't appreciate me" storyline. There was some intention for him to come back and challenge for the US Title probably leading to a match at Wrestlemania with Roode?
- This plan got canned in the Rumble, they had him come out at 30 instead to get tossed. This was going to be Dolph's last thing in WWE and he was probably gonna walk out after this.
- WWE backed up the money truck to keep him. At this point, all plans and all storylines involving Dolph prior to this point are completely scrapped.
- He gets added to the main event feud via Shane shenanigans. They keep the record scratch entrance and the FIRST TIME he comes out with a smarmy, smug heel expression on his face. Link. At this point, he's still a heel, so the record scratch is still part of his entrance.
- Zayn and Owens beat the poo poo out of him.
- Later in the show, Dolph cuts a face promo about how he loves doing this and he wants to main event Wrestlemania, he won't be stopped. This marks the start of his face turn. Note that he doesn't bury the fans at all in this promo.
- He comes out, the second time he's not sneering, he's determined that despite his injuries, he's going to fight. Link.
- He beats Zayn. Commentary immediately puts over how hard he fought to get the win. The crowd cheers, he plays up to the crowd cheering him. This solidifies the face turn.

The record scratch should probably be gone next week.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

VJeff posted:

- Later in the show, Dolph cuts a face promo about how he loves doing this and he wants to main event Wrestlemania, he won't be stopped. This marks the start of his face turn.

In all honesty this still comes across as a heel promo to me, but that just may be colored by years of Dolph saying largely the same thing when he was a heel - there is only so many times a guy who gets constantly beaten can say that nobody is better than him before it comes across as deluded egomania.

VJeff posted:

Note that he doesn't bury the fans at all in this promo.

This is true. And if they ditch the record scratch next week good. I have a suspicion it's going to be his thing now though, since WWE seems to love overproducing everything to the point that any original concept or theme behind it is lost.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah I think the record scratch may just be BURN IT DOWN-like in terms of Vince just wanting to add something to it because he can't leave well enough alone. I will say, I think on the second entrance, the silence worked. Dolph walked out with just black screens and silence behind him, he had an expression like he knew he was hosed but then he suddenly got determined and strode to the arena as his music started up behind him. I kinda liked that. If he walked out to black screens and then his music started behind him, that might be okay. The record scratch is extremely grating though and if he's a face, it 100% needs to go.

Anyway, the "NOBODY IS BETTER THAN ME" bits in that promo are stupid and unnecessarily muddy it, that's true, but anytime a guy talks about how much he loves competing (without it being disingenuous like Miz or Alexa claiming to be a fighting champion) and how he wants to main event Wrestlemania, it's definitely a face promo.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
*record scratch* You're probably wondering how I got signed to a new long term deal

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
If Dolph is going to be the "I just wanna wrestle" guy then he needs to go all the way with it. No music, black trunks, black boots, do nothing but wristlocks for 20 minutes. Stop half-assing this.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Jerusalem posted:

I am honestly flummoxed by whatever the hell is going on with Dolph. He left as a heel, came back at the Rumble in the final spot and was immediately eliminated. Doesn't appear last week, then gets an opportunity to get into the title shot due to unrelated Shane shenanigans. Is still coming out to his record scratch/silent entrance theme, but they're playing the record scratch BEFORE his theme music, then just playing his theme music anyway. He cuts a heel promo backstage but is put into the main event as a face, and the commentators sell him as a face at the end of the show while the crowd cheers for him and he plays to them as a face.
Never in a million years did I think that WWE would eventually follow TNA's method of booking

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I haven't been watching the last few weeks but that World Title five way seems like some of the most random, stupid, pointless, clusterfuck booking I've ever seen. Did it actually play any better in execution?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Listening to Observer Live, the guy who said WWE is "the overcomplication of simplicity" is spot-on.

I really wish they would step back and just let the show be, but they have to enforce their micro-management onto EVERYTHING and it just gets exhausting.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

Did it actually play any better in execution?

Nope.

Especially as most people are assuming (hoping, really) that AJ is just gonna win anyway so we can get Shinsuke vs AJ at Mania, and any other result is gonna be worse than that.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

STAC Goat posted:

I haven't been watching the last few weeks but that World Title five way seems like some of the most random, stupid, pointless, clusterfuck booking I've ever seen. Did it actually play any better in execution?

No. Here's what happened.
- It was AJ vs. Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn in a handicap match at the Rumble. AJ pinned Owens when he wasn't legal because the ref thought he saw a tag that hadn't happened.
- Because the ref made a bad call, Bryan gave them one more chance. Sami vs. Kevin, winner gets AJ at Fastlane.
- During the match, Sami taunts AJ, AJ attacks Sami and Kevin. Bryan decides it will be a triple threat between AJ, Sami and Kevin at Fastlane.
- Shane announces on twitter that the winner of Ziggler vs. Corbin the following week will be added to the match as well, making it a fatal four way. We're meant to assume this is Shane's grudge against Owens and Zayn trying to stack things up so the chances of Sami or Kevin winning the championship is diluted. It's also meant to reinforced a point AJ made that whenever Bryan and Shane make some decision about Owens and Zayn, it winds up negatively affecting him.
- On Tuesday, Ziggler vs. Corbin is supposed to happen. Owens and Zayn beat the poo poo out of both. Shane books Corbin vs. Owens and Ziggler vs. Zayn, where if Corbin and Ziggler win, they get added to the match.
- They both win and both get added.

In the space of a week we went from "Sami vs. AJ or Kevin vs. AJ at Fastlane" to "Sami vs. Kevin vs. Corbin vs. Ziggler vs. AJ at Fastlane". It's been an absolute clusterfuck.

Jerusalem posted:

Nope.

Especially as most people are assuming (hoping, really) that AJ is just gonna win anyway so we can get Shinsuke vs AJ at Mania, and any other result is gonna be worse than that.

I mean, I want Shinsuke vs AJ more, but I certainly won't cry if Nakamura vs Zayn II happens at Mania with Zayn as champion.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

https://streamable.com/2fldq

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

It was possibly the worst WWE show since the ZZ Top Raw.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I don't want my bae to be a face, it never works out for him :ohdear:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Haha, that's great.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

dolph ziggler is very attractive

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Maybe because its weird and different but i actually like the record scratch and delayed entrance music

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Benne posted:

Dolph spent like 3 months burying the fans in promos and then plays to the fans as a babyface last night

Dolph loving sucks

Benne posted:

Dolph spent like 3 months burying the fans in promos and then plays to the fans as a babyface last night

Dolph loving sucks

Yeah read the thread and decided to watch Raw. People going nuts for Braun and Elias always make me happy. They are so over. Braun always had potential and glad to see him rising like he should. I sincerely hope Vince gives up on Roman and decides to back Braun instead. Guy could do it. Still wish he had been the guy to retire the Undertaker. I enjoyed that Raw in spite of the overbooking. As long as it doesn't become the norm or the crutch I can live with it... although what the hell why any members of Absolution are in the title scene is beyond me. They can't seem to handle going one on one and don't have a storyline reason for being shoved up there (like cronies for the Authority or whatnot). Just feels like "we need a couple of more ladies for the elimination chamber and you will do".

Smackdown? Just can't do it. Even fast forwarding when Shane comes on I still get stuck with Ziggler. Its like Smackdown hates us. Ziggler doesn't give a piss as WWE doesn't give a piss. Watching him is still a chore. Last weeks "duly noted" with Rusev still rubs me the wrong way. Ziggler adds nothing to the main event. I don't even like him in the IC/US title scene but can easily ignore it. Say what you will about Miz but I know he will be great at selling horror and desperation. He will show plenty of rear end which most of the other's wont be able to or might hurt their pushes. Dolph just does the typical Dolph flopping, trailerpark HBK-wannabe. Nobody has benefited from a Dolph program in years.

Granted I am also sad that Rusev didn't make it as he's popular, insanely good in the ring, charismatic and its wrong to disrespect Rusev Day. Guy can make any match good.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 14, 2018

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Incessant Excess posted:

It's amazing that they somehow managed to not completely kill AJ.

AJ has survived TNA booking, nothing the WWE could do could ever possibly destroy him.

Samoa Joe is much the same way. No matter how bad those two are booked, they are at least not being dressed up as a reindeer or having a penis painted on their face.

Unless they put Joe in a diaper and make him the New Year's Baby for 2019 or something, that I'm not sure he could come back from.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Also just to stress again, the two guys who have been added to the title match didn't make the Top 10 list that was supposed to dictate who got pushes. Kevin and Sami aren't on that list either, but the four of them are getting a title shot against AJ, who is Number 1 on the list but is already champion so he can't actually get any more opportunities than he already is.

The Top 10 list includes the WWE Champion, Women's Champion, Tag Team Champions and US Champion on it.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I still have no clue what they're hoping to accomplish with the Top 10. Is it supposed to be riffing on the PWI list, or college football rankings, or what? Why should wrestlers care about being on or off it? Why are the No. 1 contenders not even on it? Who is this supposed to benefit?

Why is anything on SD happening the way it is?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Honestly reading "World Champion AJ Styles ended up in a nonsense five way with four challengers not on the touted ranking list due to all kinds of ridiculous booking from multiple authority figures and seeming incoherent face/heel turns" probably WAS a recap of an Impact episode from years ago.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

STAC Goat posted:

Honestly reading "World Champion AJ Styles ended up in a nonsense five way with four challengers not on the touted ranking list due to all kinds of ridiculous booking from multiple authority figures and seeming incoherent face/heel turns" probably WAS a recap of an Impact episode from years ago.

Road Dogg just making AJ feel at home

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Benne posted:

I still have no clue what they're hoping to accomplish with the Top 10. Is it supposed to be riffing on the PWI list, or college football rankings, or what? Why should wrestlers care about being on or off it? Why are the No. 1 contenders not even on it? Who is this supposed to benefit?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Let's get one thing straight, as much of a fun punching bag as Road Dogg is, Vince should be the target of your ire. Always.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Vince couldn't care less

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
If anything, WWE probably likes that Road Dogg is the public scapegoat because it takes the attention and heat away from Vince (who is still ducking #MeToo allegations as we speak)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Road Dogg's not a McMahon so they're probably happy to let him take the heat and there's probably lots of fans happy to put it someone who isn't a McMahon.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Benne posted:

If anything, WWE probably likes that Road Dogg is the public scapegoat because it takes the attention and heat away from Vince (who is still ducking #MeToo allegations as we speak)

Not that Road Dogg doesn't deserve at least some of it for being such a tool on twitter. Remember guys, September is tough for sports entertainment.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Jerusalem posted:

Also just to stress again, the two guys who have been added to the title match didn't make the Top 10 list that was supposed to dictate who got pushes. Kevin and Sami aren't on that list either, but the four of them are getting a title shot against AJ, who is Number 1 on the list but is already champion so he can't actually get any more opportunities than he already is.

The Top 10 list includes the WWE Champion, Women's Champion, Tag Team Champions and US Champion on it.
The only champs in theory that should be on it should be the US and Tag champs since they could actually go for the world title if they ranked high enough. It's just a stupid poorly thought out idea.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

bradzilla posted:

It was possibly the worst WWE show since the ZZ Top Raw.

No loving way. The matches to add the dudes, while not having a reason to exist, were at least good action. There have been tons of Raws way worse than that show since then.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

What's even crazier is that no one on the list who isn't champion is being granted an opportunity. New Age are feuding with jobbers, Randy is part of a feud involving a literal open challenge, Naomi and Becky just stood around by ringside to DEFEND the champ last night and Tye hasn't even appeared on TV

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Two Beans posted:

Much like how The Celtic Warrior Sheamus O'Shaunessy is the cousin to associate scientist Beaker, Buddy Murphy is the nephew of Detroit Police Officer and notable Little Stinger Alex Murphy.

WWE should do another crossover with The Muppets, also another Scooby Doo one as well(Sister Abigail can be the ghost)

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

WWE should do another crossover with The Muppets, also another Scooby Doo one as well(Sister Abigail can be the ghost)

they unmask bray wyatt to reveal he's been husky harris all along, trying to scare tourists away from the pirate treasure under the arena

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

VJeff posted:

No. Here's what happened.
- It was AJ vs. Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn in a handicap match at the Rumble. AJ pinned Owens when he wasn't legal because the ref thought he saw a tag that hadn't happened.
- Because the ref made a bad call, Bryan gave them one more chance. Sami vs. Kevin, winner gets AJ at Fastlane.
- During the match, Sami taunts AJ, AJ attacks Sami and Kevin. Bryan decides it will be a triple threat between AJ, Sami and Kevin at Fastlane.
- Shane announces on twitter that the winner of Ziggler vs. Corbin the following week will be added to the match as well, making it a fatal four way. We're meant to assume this is Shane's grudge against Owens and Zayn trying to stack things up so the chances of Sami or Kevin winning the championship is diluted. It's also meant to reinforced a point AJ made that whenever Bryan and Shane make some decision about Owens and Zayn, it winds up negatively affecting him.
- On Tuesday, Ziggler vs. Corbin is supposed to happen. Owens and Zayn beat the poo poo out of both. Shane books Corbin vs. Owens and Ziggler vs. Zayn, where if Corbin and Ziggler win, they get added to the match.
- They both win and both get added.

In the space of a week we went from "Sami vs. AJ or Kevin vs. AJ at Fastlane" to "Sami vs. Kevin vs. Corbin vs. Ziggler vs. AJ at Fastlane". It's been an absolute clusterfuck.

I mean, I want Shinsuke vs AJ more, but I certainly won't cry if Nakamura vs Zayn II happens at Mania with Zayn as champion.

Good lord AJ Styles is completely right to say to Shane "WHY DO YOU HATE ME SO MUCH I JUST WANT TO WRESTLE AND DEFEND MY CHAMPIONSHIP 1v1!" :mad:

That and not having him appear on Smackdown generally.

Benne posted:

Remove anyone who's a champion from being on the list and you've freed up 4 spots. You can then look at the list to see who should get opportunities- but dear god, always gimmick the list to align with booking. It currently looks so insane.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Daniel Bryan doesn't seem to like AJ either. In fact the way I read that recap it seemed like Shane was basically working under the idea that Bryan is favoring Zayn and Owens and I can't really see any reason to doubt that.

Now why Shane McMahon would think the counter to Bryan being biased for KOSZ and stacking the deck against AJ would be to further to stack the deck against AJ, I have no idea. But he is a McMahon so I guess its just instinct.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Remember when Shane and Bryan would open the show with "hey [CITY NAME], here's the matches tonight, OK bye" and hosed off and weren't all over the show in every story of significance, man those were the days

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

piss tape israel posted:

Vince couldn't care less

Also HHH replacing Vince inevitably means Road Dogg will stay much much much longer

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

SI says Dolph's new contract is two years. $1.5mil per year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Chris James 2 posted:

SI says Dolph's new contract is two years. $1.5mil per year

Justin Barraso wrote that, right? He has a tendency to be completely wrong on that kind of stuff. He's about as accurate as Sportskeeda (which is to say, not at all). So I would take it with a grain of salt until otherwise noted.

• Locked thread