Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

al-azad posted:

Mishima isn't in the first beach trip
he is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Expect My Mom posted:

persona 5 is the best modern persona game and persona 4 can eat my shorts

he literally sleeps in the room with you

That's the second beach trip and you're cagey around Mishima because the dude can't keep his mouth shut. He's the kid at school who goes I HAVE A SECRET BUT DON'T ASK ME ABOUT IT BECAUSE I WON'T TELL YOU BOBBY AND JESSICA ARE GOING OUT

e: Like if I was trying to relax on vacation and a friend won't shut up about work I'm going to tell them to put a sock in it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
If I'm ever the kind of person that describes something as "dollar store philosophy" please just put me out of my misery

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Persona 2 are the best Persona games as they slowly evolve into Freudian and Lynchain nightmares of repression and fear

I want to replay them soon

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I for one only pay attention to the finest philosophy money can buy.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

al-azad posted:

That's the second beach trip and you're cagey around Mishima because the dude can't keep his mouth shut. He's the kid at school who goes I HAVE A SECRET BUT DON'T ASK ME ABOUT IT BECAUSE I WON'T TELL YOU BOBBY AND JESSICA ARE GOING OUT

e: Like if I was trying to relax on vacation and a friend won't shut up about work I'm going to tell them to put a sock in it.
lmao i literally forgot you go to the beach with friends and then not even two weeks later go to hawaii and just have a miserable time

persona 5's good but drat it's got some clunkers

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the early persona games are better structured narratively even if playing them is a bit of a chore

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

cheetah7071 posted:

Most don't make you run over huge, empty, boring maps while boring music plays and then the reward at the end of the room is another room with identical aesthetics so there's no sense of progression and then repeat that a dozen times in every dungeon and between every cutscene because the next NPC you need to talk to can't ever be in the town you're already in

This is what vexed me the most about the game, I think. After a while I came to accept that the soundtrack will never get any good, so I just burned through some podcasts and let my brain rot as I held Joystick Up across the wastelands of Fantasy Genericaland.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my opinion, crafted after years of training in the alps, is that all of the persona games are like, okay. 6-7/10.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Expect My Mom posted:

lmao i literally forgot you go to the beach with friends and then not even two weeks later go to hawaii and just have a miserable time

persona 5's good but drat it's got some clunkers

I don't know how you could forget getting chased on the beach by "Beefy Trendsetter" and "Scruffy Romantic."

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
My favorite part of Persona 5 is when they write back characters into the Hawaii trip who previously weren't there, only for them to get a single line of dialogue and then everyone gets huffy about a fast food chain

The Colonel posted:

the early persona games are better structured narratively even if playing them is a bit of a chore
The Calendar system is cool but I feel too frequently it winds up shooting them in the foot, but they will never get rid of it now

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bizarrely they seem to have backslid. p4g handled the calendar way better than persona 5 did. maybe its just a product of persona 5's seventeen rewrites.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Expect My Mom posted:

Persona 2 are the best Persona games as they slowly evolve into Freudian and Lynchain nightmares of repression and fear

I want to replay them soon

I enjoyed it for the most part but I wish the actual craziness happening during both games had been swapped around. I feel like it hit a peak with the first disc and was never able to recapture that craziness with the second disc despite how hard it tried

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

If I'm ever the kind of person that describes something as "dollar store philosophy" please just put me out of my misery
I get my philosophy at poundland

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Expect My Mom posted:

My favorite part of Persona 5 is when they write back characters into the Hawaii trip who previously weren't there, only for them to get a single line of dialogue and then everyone gets huffy about a fast food chain

The Calendar system is cool but I feel too frequently it winds up shooting them in the foot, but they will never get rid of it now

It's more like the games get more linear with each iteration that at some point I question why there even is a calendar system. Persona 3 just lets you loose, requiring you to be strong enough to beat a boss every month and finish the tower at some point before new years. Persona 4 is more linear but you actually have to do the investigation before it'll unlock the dungeon. Persona 5 just takes away almost all agency and I guess it's thematically appropriate but I feel like I'm just a passenger in this world. There are no S-Links tied to jobs, one NPC S-Link is a fellow student, no S-Links are derived from others, and I think this game has the steepest requirements to continue either needing a maxed stat and every single one you have to beat a dude in mementos to complete it despite having less time than ever.

A pretty world that you interact with basically entirely through your phone. And I don't think it would take much to change it up but I'm definitely not going to play it again if they release the Golden equivalent down the line.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I will almost 100% buy Persona 5 Crimson or whatever because I am a dumbass

Endorph posted:

bizarrely they seem to have backslid. p4g handled the calendar way better than persona 5 did. maybe its just a product of persona 5's seventeen rewrites.
look this game is coming out in Winter 2014, writing is hard we have NO time

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

People made fun of FF13’s dungeon design but that’s the way to do it

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I liked the dungeons in Wild ARMs. They should bring back that series.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

PantsBandit posted:

this is the only dollar store philosophy you need

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

al-azad posted:

A pretty world that you interact with basically entirely through your phone.

Sounds a lot like life

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

man it's good that we're all cool and super into the persona games otherwise the rest of this page would seem like complete gibberish

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I'm catching up on other threads and wanted to share this.

DontMockMySmock posted:

[I'm sorry I have no video editing or voice acting skills to make the following script into a reality.]

TJ "Henry" Yoshi: Well, Pannenkoek, I made it, despite your directions.

Pannenkoek: Ah, TJ "Henry" Yoshi, if that is your real name. I hope you're ready for an unforgettable Watch for Rolling Rocks.

TJ "Henry" Yoshi: Eh.

[Pannenkoek enters Hazy Maze Cave and sees that he has to press A]

Pannenkoek: Ye gods, my low-A-press run is ruined! Hmm. . . But what if I were to hold A from a previous level? Ho ho ho ho! Delightfully devilish, Pannenkoek! *begins to press A*

[TJ "Henry" Yoshi enters]

TJ "Henry" Yoshi: Ah. . .

[Musical number]
Pannenkoek with his crazy explanations. TJ "Henry" is gonna need his medication, when he hears Pannenkoek's crazy explanations. There'll be trouble in SM64 tonight!
TJ "Henry" Yoshi: PANNENKOEK!!!

Pannenkoek: TJ "Henry" Yoshi! I was just transporting this scuttlebug! Every time it hits you its home resets to a new location! Care to join me?

TJ "Henry" Yoshi: Why are you pressing A, Pannenkoek?

Pannenkoek: Oh! That's not an A press! Those are B presses! Mmmm, B presses!

TJ "Henry" Yoshi: Eh. [Exits.]

Pannenkoek: Phew. [builds up speed for 9 hours]

[Pannenkoek enters the dining room]

Pannenkoek: TJ "Henry" Yoshi. I hope you're ready for holding down the A button!

TJ "Henry" Yoshi: I thought you said you were going to press the B button.

Pannenkoek: No I said "half A press." That's what I call holding the A button down from a previous level.

TJ "Henry" Yoshi: An A press is an A press. You can't say it's only half.

Pannenkoek: Yes I can. An A press has three parts.

TJ "Henry" Yoshi: Uh huh. What parts?

Pannenkoek: Pressing the button, holding it down, and releasing it.

TJ "Henry" Yoshi: Really. Well I've speedran any% SM64 and I've never heard anyone use the phrase "half A press."

Pannenkoek: Oh, not in an any% run, no. It's a low-A-press run expression.

TJ "Henry" Yoshi: I see.

TJ "Henry" Yoshi: You know, you'd still have to press A at some point in order to be holding A during Watch for Rolling Rocks, so that'd count as an A press.

Pannenkoek: Oh ho ho ho, no. You can hold A from a previous A press that you used for a different level. Old Pannenkoek strat.

TJ "Henry" Yoshi: For a "half A press."

Pannenkoek: Yes.

TJ "Henry" Yoshi: And you call it that despite the fact that you have obviously fully pressed A.

Pannenkoek: Well. . . you know. . . One thing I should-. . . excuse me for one second.

TJ "Henry" Yoshi: Of course.

[Pannenkoek uses his built up speed to zoom around Hazy Maze Cave]

Pannenkoek: [yawns] Ah, well, got the star. A good time was had by all. I'm pooped.

TJ "Henry" Yoshi: Yes, I should- Good lord, what is happening in there!?

Pannenkoek: Parallel universes.

TJ "Henry" Yoshi: Eh!? Parallel universes!? In this game? In this part of the castle? Almost twenty years after SM64's release? Localized entirely within Hazy Maze Cave?

Pannenkoek: Yes.

TJ "Henry" Yoshi: May I see them?

Pannenkoek: That would crash the game.

[TJ "Henry" Yoshi exits]

Pannenkoek's mother: [yelling from upstairs] Pannenkoek! I'm trapped in a parallel universe!

Pannenkoek: [calling up to his mother] No, mother! You just have to be QPU-aligned!

TJ "Henry" Yoshi: Well, Pannenkoek, you are an odd fellow, but I must say. . . you half-press a good A button.

Pannenkoek's mother: Help! Help!

[Pannenkoek smiles and gives a thumbs up]

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

man it's good that we're all cool and super into the persona games otherwise the rest of this page would seem like complete gibberish

I feel the same way when people talk about The Witcher 3

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

al-azad posted:

Mashima can keep the secret better than Ryuji.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

I feel the same way when people talk about The Witcher 3

This is me and Souls games. Something something Graveguy Neato, a sword wielding doggo which sounds kind of cool, lots of cursing about Blight Town and Father Gasscoin, some girl's wet nurse, and absolutely nothing about Dark Souls 3.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Cowcaster posted:

this is me when people talk about fina lfantasy

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Persona 5 is fantastic, but I can't help but get hung over some details, like how skeevy Mona is, how Ann keeps getting treated by the guys and the whole gay panic scenes.

It still has fantastic gameplay, the soundtrack is stellar(There are some good covers on Spotify btw) and loving up power hungry adults is great, but once in a while you just go "wait, what"

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i know every video game so i am never confused

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the Furi soundtrack is on Spotify, which has made my life better

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Samuringa posted:

Persona 5 is fantastic, but I can't help but get hung over some details, like how skeevy Mona is, how Ann keeps getting treated by the guys and the whole gay panic scenes.

It still has fantastic gameplay, the soundtrack is stellar(There are some good covers on Spotify btw) and loving up power hungry adults is great, but once in a while you just go "wait, what"

it really dulls the message of power hungry adults getting hosed up imo because the game is pretty much always punching downwards at anyone who isnt a ethnically japanese dude who wants to gently caress some pussy and consistently ignoring any issue thats more complicated than 'dont touch kids'

seriously the villain of the game is a shinzo abe standee and they dont even mention korea, thats like if i made a game where the villain was a trump stand-in and didn't once mention mexico

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

maybe they didn't do it because who cares

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oddium posted:

maybe they didn't do it because who cares
:thinking:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Why is it that escape-pods in video games always end up getting hosed to poo poo when they land? Shouldn't they be designed specifically to not get super hosed up during difficult landings?

Like I'm playing Subnautica and in the beginning you are on an escape-pod and within 3 seconds of launching panels are coming off the wall and poo poo.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The one in the beginning of Titanfall 2 does ok iirc

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The bigger question is how has nobody made a roguelike based on Edge of Tomorrow

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

that's just super meat boy

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

In Training posted:

The bigger question is how has nobody made a roguelike based on Edge of Tomorrow
because the western live action adaptation butchered the glorious japanese title of ALL YOU NEED IS KILL

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
"Ordinary people gently caress around while fighting fantasy monsters" is such a powerful concept I'm willing to forgive somewhat weak execution on it. Making friends with your RPG party members is cool and good and it explains both the success of Persona and modern Fire Emblem, I think.

And Persona 5 like absolutely nailed the aesthetics. Like it'd be a once-in-a-decade aesthetic presentation if it weren't for the fact that it somehow came out in the same year as Nier Automata (which I'm lukewarm on but the aesthetic presentation is incredible).

Basically like I agree with almost all the complaints about Persona 5 I just think they're wildly outstripped by the good parts.

LawfulWaffle posted:

I'm catching up on other threads and wanted to share this.

This is incredible. Pannenkoek is a national treasure of whichever country he belongs.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

live die repeat is better than either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

In Training posted:

The video game adaptation of Edge of Tomorrow is Dark Souls

• Locked thread