Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

STAC Goat posted:

It just seems like Doctor Who makes no sense if you're the type that cares deeply about canon and continuity. No? You just gotta go for the ride.

I mean, yeah. The show gave three separate explanations for the destruction of Atlantis in the span of five years. You just kinda go with it and let them tell the story they want to at the moment regardless of what came before. It's better that way. That's why "timey wimey" is so good; it's a show about time travel, just go with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I love the idea that in his extreme old age the Doctor not only decided to run around as Tom Baker again, but as a fatter, more insane version of Tom Baker

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Finally finished season nine, and yeah the final trilogy of episodes was really good. Next episode is Husbands of River Song, which I just noticed...did they take a entire year off since after it is a second Christmas episode.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
They took a whole loving year off.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I was a big fan of Moffat and feel he got unfairly criticized in a lot of cases (and fairly in others) but I am really looking forward to not having gigantic gaps in production because of an inability to budget appropriately.

I mean, I'm assuming Chibnal is good at that since he seemed to have a pretty tight handle on Broadchurch, anyway.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Jerusalem posted:

I was a big fan of Moffat and feel he got unfairly criticized in a lot of cases (and fairly in others) but I am really looking forward to not having gigantic gaps in production because of an inability to budget appropriately.

I mean, I'm assuming Chibnal is good at that since he seemed to have a pretty tight handle on Broadchurch, anyway.

I haven't seen Broadchurch, but I'd wager that's an easier show than Who to keep on top of budget-wise given the fact it's one setting and no special effects.

As I recall, though, he also ran Torchwood for a time. And you can say a lot about that, but at least production went smoothly.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
We can probably trust Chibbers to not ERASE PEOPLE FROM DOCTOR WHO at least.

Thank goodness we've never actually used the Oubliette of Eternity...

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The one thing that has me slightly optimistic is that Chibnall will apparently be using a proper writer’s room.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rhyno posted:

I'm sorry, the Robots of what?

of DEATH

<twaaaaang>

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
>:( it's not that serial!!!!!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Ambassadors? At this time of day? At this time of year? In this part of the country, localized entirely within those space suits?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

2house2fly posted:

Well you see, at some point among his first three incarnations the Doctor met up with this museum curator, and evidently they got on so well the Doctor took on his face. The Curator knows a bit about Time Lord regeneration and assumed the Eleventh Doctor, who looked younger, was in fact a younger version of the man he'd met

That’s silly. Regeneration doesn’t work like tha...

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The Sixth Doctor is Space Frasier.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

Ambassadors? At this time of day? At this time of year? In this part of the country, localized entirely within those space suits?

....yes!

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

DoctorWhat posted:

le tardis volant!!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

May I see them?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

The narrative/plot/continuity reasons are all,"It's the 50th and we've got Tom Baker so goddammit we're gonna use him." Tom Baker showed up on set one day with a TARDIS full of liquor and no one could get him to leave.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

May I see them?

No.

NOT THE MIND PROBE! :byodood:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Doctor Zero posted:

surely

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

To K-9: Will you stop staring at me?
Will: Hey, Doc, check out this new chair I found for the TARDIS!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

i have been watching a LOT of frasier lately

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
hey baby i hear the blues a--callin'
cat broaches and gumblejacks

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

quite stylish

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Doctor Zero posted:

"I know where I got this face, and I know what it's for! It's to remind me that this regeneration is loving INSANE!!"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

i have been watching a LOT of frasier lately

I started a rewatch in memory of John Mahoney. It's weird to watch the first season, where David Hyde Pierce is so nervous, Jane Leeves was obviously told to play up her accent, and you can actually see the hangover on Kelsey Grammer.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Was RTD unable to budget correctly as well or was there some creative reason for why we only got 4 eps that one year?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

remusclaw posted:

Was RTD unable to budget correctly as well or was there some creative reason for why we only got 4 eps that one year?

That had something to do with David Tennant playing Hamlet that year, I think.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

remusclaw posted:

Davies wanted a gap year to allow the new production team some time and had already informed the BBC he wouldn't produce a fifth season, which also gave Tennant some time to do Shakespeare.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

If I remember right, at the time the initial plan was that RTD would leave but Tennant would stay for Moffat's first season, presumably because there was a fear the audiences would leave if RTD and Tennant were to both go at the same time. Then Tennant decided he might as well make it a clean break so Moffat had to rush down into his basement and stitch together a body so Wendy Padbury could summon Patrick Troughton's spirit to occupy it, and everything turned out for the best.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Watched the latest episode of "DC's Legends of Tomorrow" and John Constantine said "Allons-y Alonso."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

The Master: Hey, who the hell took my fluid link? My fluid link was right here. *slamming fists on console* THIS STINKS!! THIS IS TOTAL BS!! THI- oh, here it is.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Davros1 posted:

Watched the latest episode of "DC's Legends of Tomorrow" and John Constantine said "Allons-y Alonso."

A man in a trenchcoat speaking French? Nah, it'll never catch on.

(Such a great episode. Such a great, goofy series)

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 40 days!

TinTower posted:

Also, from Day of the Doctor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cbQVfVfSrI

"You know, I really think you might." :tviv:

"I can only tell you what I would do if I were you...

heh

if I were you..."

:)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Or - or maybe, you were me

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It seems like a great piece of writing, but the whole speech is actually just what Tom Baker says to any passerby he meets.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

It seems like a great piece of writing, but the whole speech is actually just what Tom Baker says to any passerby he meets.

Yeah, they just didn't film the part afterwards where he asked, okay now that he's gotten to know Matt Smith a little, when the scene's going to start.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah and it rules.

I just remembered the time Jon Culshaw rang up Sylvester McCoy while imitating Tom Baker to ask him really bizarre out-of-nowhere questions, and McCoy's reaction suggested that maybe this isn't the first time he's had a call like this :allears:

He also rang Tom Baker while pretending to be Tom Baker, and Tom seemed completely onboard with the idea that this is something that might happen :)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

He also rang Tom Baker while pretending to be Tom Baker, and Tom seemed completely onboard with the idea that this is something that might happen :)

Wasn't the conversation something like:

Culshaw: Hello, this is the Doctor.
Tom: I believe you're mistaken, I'm the Doctor.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, and as Culshaw started going into techno-babble about how this was possible, Tom was just nodding along and asking how he could help :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ7uHzZYREo

• Locked thread