Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I love the actor they got to play the reverend. I recognized him right away as the dude who played Chauncy in Menace II Society, and for his more iconic role, Pinky from Next Friday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkqXgn50CjM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

nine-gear crow posted:

Also how the gently caress do these people not instantly recognize Jeff when he shows up somewhere in his civvies, threatens them, leaves, and then shows up again 20 minutes later wearing that same beard, a super suit, and a pair of lovely sunglasses that don’t actually disguise his face?

Like, I love this show so much, and it’s otherwise perfect, but I’ll just never get over that one.

This is the one thing that took me out of the episode. I guess they decided that all superhero disguises would be pretty ineffectual in real life so they just decided to throw some sunglasses on him and call it a day.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I have a feeling that for season 2 we probably won't be getting a unique rap song each episode.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Burning_Monk posted:

Oh, for sure! Early in the episode she told Jefferson that she wasn't his secretary and he should call the School Board. At the end, when she was giving him the School Board's ultimatum to give up his veto and get only a vote she happily skipped out of the room to call them.

She was probably the one who suggested that option to the Board to begin with, at least that's my theory.

I get the impression that she's just extremely into Jefferson

Also based on the first episode or two I had completely assumed she was his secretary

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

nine-gear crow posted:

Also how the gently caress do these people not instantly recognize Jeff when he shows up somewhere in his civvies, threatens them, leaves, and then shows up again 20 minutes later wearing that same beard, a super suit, and a pair of lovely sunglasses that don’t actually disguise his face?

Like, I love this show so much, and it’s otherwise perfect, but I’ll just never get over that one.

That's the same type of suspension of disbelief that virtually all super hero shows have relied on, Superman/Clark Kent being the most egregious example.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

RandomBlue posted:

That's the same type of suspension of disbelief that virtually all super hero shows have relied on, Superman/Clark Kent being the most egregious example.

Supergirl too. She doesn't even wear her glasses half the time and nobody's put 2 and 2 together.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Bruceski posted:

Supergirl too. She doesn't even wear her glasses half the time and nobody's put 2 and 2 together.

I liked the justification of it at the start, that people never looked at Kara because she's so meek and self-effacing, and people are too awed by Supergirl to pay too much attention to what her face looks like in the brief time they see her. And then Kara started acting more confident and assertive and Supergirl started hanging around and chatting with people who know Kara and that whole premise just stopped making any kind of sense.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Murderion posted:

Does anyone else get the feeling the vice principal is up to something?

Based on the pilot it seems like she wants to jump the principal’s bones.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Chokes McGee posted:

He's up to something. I don't know what, but it's not good. At best he's trying to keep Pierce from knowing Tobias is alive so he doesn't do something stupid. At worst he's manipulating Black Lightning to his own end.

Political commentary: the well off white guy is helping BL out, ostensibly out of altruism, but still using him to his own ends. Gods I love this show.

Yeah, I wish we had some idea of what his endgame is. Like, he isn't directily working with the 100 since he wants BL back, but he isn't helping BL as well as he could be. He's taking off with a shotgun to a crime scene for... reasons? Best case scenario he recognized the daughter and was coming to provide backup, worst case he was coming to take her down and we get the reveal that the reason this show doesn't have as many metas as Flash/Arrow is because Gambi's been hunting and killing them behind the scenes as soon as they surface. I guess Flash has gotten me too used to villains very clearly spelling out their whole plan and/or the show revealing it for them.

I hope he gets redeemed and doesn't go full heel. I like his ridiculous unexplained Gambi-cave too much to lose him in a mid-season finale or something.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bruceski posted:

She's defying the CW superhero codes.

Have secret identity, tell everyone about it.
Have secret base, everyone drops by for beer and/or fight

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rocksicles posted:

To be fair, she hasn't revealed her secret identity to the two people who could do the most real damage to her (Lena and Reign), AND her secret base is fully staffed by an army of special agent commandos and other superheroes, so good luck breaking into it unless you have some kind of superpower yourself.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Yeah, I wish we had some idea of what his endgame is. Like, he isn't directily working with the 100 since he wants BL back, but he isn't helping BL as well as he could be. He's taking off with a shotgun to a crime scene for... reasons? Best case scenario he recognized the daughter and was coming to provide backup, worst case he was coming to take her down and we get the reveal that the reason this show doesn't have as many metas as Flash/Arrow is because Gambi's been hunting and killing them behind the scenes as soon as they surface. I guess Flash has gotten me too used to villains very clearly spelling out their whole plan and/or the show revealing it for them.

I hope he gets redeemed and doesn't go full heel. I like his ridiculous unexplained Gambi-cave too much to lose him in a mid-season finale or something.

There's a lot unknown about Gambi. I don't think he's malicious, but he has his own reasons for what greater good he's trying to serve, even if it means undermining BL. He's taking a shotgun to a crime scene because there was a super powered meta stomping around and he wasn't sure whose side they were on and if they were even still there. That's also why he didn't poke his head inside the building that the lot belongs too so as to not draw any unnecessary attention.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

RandomBlue posted:

Sometimes people can look very different like Anissa now and when she was with Dougie:

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

I'm pretty sure that is perfectly within the CS superhero codes, seeing as Barry Allen literally imediately tells every one he the flash, and villains routinely and constantly just walk right into both Star Labs and the Arrowcave.

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwFps-O_ot4&t=24s

hangedman1984 fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Feb 10, 2018

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

hangedman1984 posted:

I'm pretty sure that is perfectly within the CS superhero codes, seeing as Barry Allen literally imediately tells every one he the flash, and villains routinely and constantly just walk right into both Star Labs and the Arrowcave.

I think that was Rocksicles point. There are people who don't know Kara is Supergirl and her base of operations is mostly pretty secure.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

CeeJee posted:

Sometimes people can look very different like Anissa now and when she was with Dougie:

:eyepop: Wow. Anissa give two rides?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm getting a mutual respect, different approaches with the same goal, love interest in the Vice Principal. The fact that her presence in this episode played against Jefferson's ex wife pulling away and disapproving of Jefferson not only with the phone calls but the dinner conversation sold it more to me. All the while the VP went from someone Jefferson thought he was at odds with but who gave him a different perspective but support for his decision.

Gambi I'm not sure but my first thought was that he recognized Nyssa or at least recognized the powers. Maybe he knows the kids have powers somehow. Or maybe there was another Thunder somewhere along the line? Its worth considering that Gambi didn't seem to retire when Jefferson did and he might have worked with other people in the nine years between Black LIghtning. I don't know. I definitely think Gambi is hiding stuff but I'm not sold its malicious.

And yeah, what the gently caress voodoo poo poo from Jill Scott!

BrianWilly posted:

Anissa said in the second episode that she couldn't look too clearly at BL's face because it was too...powerful, or something. He's like Zeus. :science:
Yeah, they handwaved it away like it was looking in the sun or something. That's good enough for me, I guess. Better than a hoodie and domino mask or tying you hair back and putting on glasses sometimes.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Xelkelvos posted:

There's a lot unknown about Gambi. I don't think he's malicious, but he has his own reasons for what greater good he's trying to serve, even if it means undermining BL. He's taking a shotgun to a crime scene because there was a super powered meta stomping around and he wasn't sure whose side they were on and if they were even still there. That's also why he didn't poke his head inside the building that the lot belongs too so as to not draw any unnecessary attention.

I thought he maybe recognized Jeff’s daughter on the video and went out to take measurements for her crime fighting suit and didn’t tell her father because he wouldn’t approve. Or something. But definitely that he caught onto the identity of the metahuman.
Maybe I misremember the scene but I got the impression that the last clip he watched before erasing was the one before she pulled up her hood.
Still, there’s now two occurrences where Gambi hides information from Jeff. When he deleted the first video, wasn’t he also heard saying “I’m sorry, Jeffrey” or something?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

He's unquestionably hiding stuff from Jefferson and feels guilty about it. I think people were speculating that he told Jefferson Tobias was dead, but that seems like the kind of thing Jefferson would have figured out on his own was lie in the last 9 years with the way he's shown to be plugged in with the streets. We're only a few episodes in so its probably likely that whatever Gambi's hiding hasn't even really been revealed to us at all.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

kjetting posted:

I thought he maybe recognized Jeff’s daughter on the video and went out to take measurements for her crime fighting suit and didn’t tell her father because he wouldn’t approve. Or something. But definitely that he caught onto the identity of the metahuman.
Maybe I misremember the scene but I got the impression that the last clip he watched before erasing was the one before she pulled up her hood.
Still, there’s now two occurrences where Gambi hides information from Jeff. When he deleted the first video, wasn’t he also heard saying “I’m sorry, Jeffrey” or something?

From what I remember of the scene, it didn't look like he saw who it was pulling up the hood as the face was obscured by shadow. At least as far as was shown on screen.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My memory is that the scene is shot in a way where he's watching the monitor and we're behind him as she walks just out of our view obscured by his body. Then he reacts and turns it off. So theoretically we don't actually see what he reacts to. She could have turned to the camera or revealed herself or maybe not. It seems to have been left intentionally obscured to keep Gambi's motivations mysterious.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

He can fly :v:

Another amazing episode. Lots of backstory for everyone, hilariously bad(but I assume comics accurate) costume for Anissa and a James Brown beatdown payback.

Tobias and his sister are a good team and great villains.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 14, 2018

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I see Anissa has taken the "face paint instead of a mask" route from early season Arrow. (And no, that isn't her comics costume. With all that sparkly latex, she looked like she stepped off a 1970s Saturday morning show.)

So apparently Gambi is working for the ASA (another Outsiders reference).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

That was a rather abrupt ending. I was surprised they were showing a preview for the next episode (in two weeks) during the show, and then annoyed that the news was interrupting before I caught on.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Pretty sure the girl playing Tobias' sister is one of the girls in Omar's stick-up crew in the Wire, and the dude helping the daughter solve her grandpa's murder mystery is Huggy Bear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWNQTqMkezc

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I assume we're going to get some kind of backstory episode later this season, what with the casual drop that Tobias and his sister have age slowing juice running through their veins.

I am wondering who was paying for that storage locker, they generally don't just leave things in storage for 30 years.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So about not having backstory episodes for Jefferson, I think that's gonna happen now since it's fairly obvious that he was one of the kids that developed powers from the experiments and Gambi was 100% involved.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Although it would be kind of funny if his whole deal was completely unrelated.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Oh, no episode tonight? Boo.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Who the hell did they find to play Syonide? She's like 6'6" and 40 pounds. :stare:

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Rocksicles posted:

That makes me sad, Charlie Murphy's cancer was making him so thin.

What a way to find out Charlie Murphy died :negative: :cry: :smith:

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Chokes McGee posted:

Who the hell did they find to play Syonide? She's like 6'6" and 40 pounds. :stare:

According to her wiki Charlbi Dean is from South Africa. She's also apparently a fashon model, so that explains her being rail thin.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

8one6 posted:

According to her wiki Charlbi Dean is from South Africa. She's also apparently a fashon model, so that explains her being rail thin.

She's really good at emoting posture, too. Every time she's on the screen, the only thing I can think of is how she looks like a snake.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, she's done a really good job of becoming a character despite not really doing or saying anything so far. If she ever busts out in a fight or something its going to be fun.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I must find out the weakness of my enemy. Now let's google what health problems albinos have :v:

Goddamn Anissa's outfit is still hella goofy.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I must find out the weakness of my enemy. Now let's google what health problems albinos have :v:

Goddamn Anissa's outfit is still hella goofy.

Yeah, I was about to say. Gambi better hook her up with something because hoo boy Black Looker is not a good costume.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

They put out promotional photos of Anissa's final costume before the show even aired.

The main storyline tonight was pretty rote ("No Jefferson, you can't murder a man!" :nono:), but all the little embellishments around it were great.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

What a way to find out Charlie Murphy died :negative: :cry: :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSuCjX_QqpM

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

drat that was funny but also sad as gently caress. :smith:

Anyway, this show is good I really liked how they both found out each other had super powers within the span of like 4 minutes, if this was arrow it'd be a 2 season plot. "oh this? I'm uh, cosplaying as black lightning, yeah, love that guy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

A bunch of reviews and commentary keep mentioning the show's slow pace and I'm just like... are we watching the same series?

A normally paced cable series would probably have her discover her powers right about now, and maybe end the season with her suiting up and fighting crime for the first time.

That they played the reveal for the first time so suddenly really threw me. I thought for sure that we'd get at least a few episodes where her Mom or Dad didn't know and we would get some SecretIdentity! angst. Instead, nope, let's bulldoze right past that and get to the even better and thornier questions.

The Khalil material is easy the weakest part, and feels very short-sighted. His arc is one that would've hugely benefitted from slowing down, but instead its VERY clear they're rushing him to get us to a finale-ready narrative place.

• Locked thread