Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

"Ordinary people gently caress around while fighting fantasy monsters" is such a powerful concept I'm willing to forgive somewhat weak execution on it. Making friends with your RPG party members is cool and good and it explains both the success of Persona and modern Fire Emblem, I think.
tbh my biggest issue with persona 5 is that i felt *less* connected to them than most jrpg parties. a lot of the party member's s. links were pretty weak and 90% of their plot cutscene dialogue was just recapping the plot. the only two who really felt like characters with a believable dynamic with the people around them were yusuke and futaba. it wasnt helped by the fact that they all had to talk to the cardboard cutout protag instead of each other.

like i felt way more invested in makoto in the three minutes she was threatening to beat ryuji up and arguing over plans with him than i was in the 70 hours of her reestablishing things i already knew and asking akira to stalk a friend of hers (broken up by like 50 hours midway through due to a random social stat block)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

live die repeat is better than either

The sequel is called Live Die Repeat and Repeat. Gonna be awesome

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

In Training posted:

The sequel is called Live Die Repeat and Repeat. Gonna be awesome

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

More jrpgs need to adopt the Fire Emblem style where you get to pair off party members rather than just the main character having some love interests.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

it wasnt helped by the fact that they all had to talk to the cardboard cutout protag instead of each other.

The fact that it's *you* making friends with them is important to the appeal imo even if that almost necessarily makes the writing weaker

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Endorph posted:

it really dulls the message of power hungry adults getting hosed up imo because the game is pretty much always punching downwards at anyone who isnt a ethnically japanese dude who wants to gently caress some pussy and consistently ignoring any issue thats more complicated than 'dont touch kids'

seriously the villain of the game is a shinzo abe standee and they dont even mention korea, thats like if i made a game where the villain was a trump stand-in and didn't once mention mexico

I don't know if I want to deal with realistic not-Shinzo Abe in my video game about magic teens.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

The fact that it's *you* making friends with them is important to the appeal imo even if that almost necessarily makes the writing weaker

maybe im just too old and lesbian for that trick to work on me

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

In Training posted:

The bigger question is how has nobody made a roguelike based on Edge of Tomorrow

Roguelikes randomize on death, it's more like a Souls game. Or a Surge-like in this case

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

in celeste do you keep all the strawberries and stuff you get if you quit a stage

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Why is Emily Blunt the one who kisses Tom Cruise instead the other way around, since she’s only interacted with him for a day while he’s been interacting with her for days and days due to time shenanigans

What a thought to have today of all days, the International Love Day

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

probably because she went through the same thing until she lost the blood. i dunno i don't remember the end that well

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

maybe im just too old and lesbian for that trick to work on me

A set MC is absolutely one of the weaknesses of P5 I'll agree. And one that will matter more the less you resemble the old conservative executive's picture of the default gamer

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

lets hang out posted:

in celeste do you keep all the strawberries and stuff you get if you quit a stage

If you've already best the stage and are just going back to clear it, yes. Not sure otherwise

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

LawfulWaffle posted:

I'm catching up on other threads and wanted to share this.
This owns.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Talking about Tales games a few pages back reminded me. Is Namco ever bringing more classic games than Symphonia to steam? Would love to see Abyss and Vesperia on there.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

xedo posted:

Talking about Tales games a few pages back reminded me. Is Namco ever bringing more classic games than Symphonia to steam? Would love to see Abyss and Vesperia on there.
They might. Vesperia and Abyss both use the same engine as Symphonia IIRC.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I really like P5 and thought it was overall a far better game than Berseria, though that game is still quite good.

Okay, that's all I got. Byyyyyyye!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
If there was a yellow submarine game but with etrian odyssey gameplay, I'd probably play that

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Just wanted to let you all know about my hot idea of yellow submarine odyssey

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Amazon informed me that my copy of Bayonetta 2 won't arrive until Feb. 20.

I should probably cancel

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I should probably cancel

Order another one with faster shipping. Can never own too many copies of Bayonetta.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 15, 2018

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I should probably cancel

Yeah just pick it up locally if you can.

I guess that's a good sign that maybe it's actually selling well this time

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

That Amazon release discount, though...

If I can't get it from them on release day I will probably just throw it on my rental queue, I do have Monster Hunter plus 8 other things to play

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I got unbelievably excited when RE: Revelations showed off the Metroid Prime scanner as its new mechanic and I love that poo poo, and it made so much sense to put that in a RE game where the #1 action of the game is just looking at rooms to figure out what you need to examine next. But then they quickly said Nah its just a collectible thing that gives you herbs and random ammo drops when you point it at trash cans. Bleh

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I thought I would find juicy hot takes in Amazon Japan's ratings of P5 but the 1-star reviews are either series veterans complaining about the linearity and weakness of the end game content or they're completely new to the series and are having a sensory overload at all the spinning plates the game expects you to balance, none of which I disagree with.

What do Japanese gamers have to say about Berseria?

quote:

The characters are also aimed at girls but girls do not sympathize with these characters!

Gamers be gamers

quote:

Because the main plot of the game is "revenge" and the characters can not forgive, I thought the story was useless. I can't empathize at all, especially the main character Velvet and the pirate Eizen.

I think I'm going to play Berseria once I finish up my other stuff.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

That's bullshit, Velvet is a pirate too.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Imagine playing Berseria and not thinking "wow Velvet owns"

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Is it possible to play berseria and not like magilou?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

FirstAidKite posted:

If there was a yellow submarine game but with etrian odyssey gameplay, I'd probably play that

Unfortunately the team behind the Yellow Submarine game never improved, even after internal critique.

It's their policy to never read their own reviews.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wish there was a new Dino Crisis game.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Is it possible to play berseria and not like magilou?

Or Eleanor. Or any of them except Rokurou who is just kinda there, but even then he's still Laphi's weird uncle.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i wish there was a new parasite eve game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

al-azad posted:

What do Japanese gamers have to say about Berseria?
'girls do not emphasize with these characters, especially not eizen'

*the hardcore tales fanbase that is 90% girls votes eizen the fifth best tales character ever*

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

chumbler posted:

Or Eleanor. Or any of them except Rokurou who is just kinda there, but even then he's still Laphi's weird uncle.
His bro-rivalry...brovalry?...with Eizen is good too.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I liked Rokurou way more than Eizen

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I want a third birthday sequel

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I want a skies of arcadia pc port

I wanna relive that game again. Such a great game.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I wish there was only the first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Skies of Arcadia's gameplay always just looked kind of messy to me, but the setting was great and we should have a lot more games about air pirates in general.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 15, 2018

• Locked thread