Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

In Training posted:

I want a third birthday sequel

Isn't that just Akiba's Trip?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Really Pants posted:

Skies of Arcadia's gameplay always just looked kind of messy to me, but we should have a lot more games about air pirates in general.

It wasn't really messy, it was just kind of plain with nothing about its regular battle system that made it stick out over any other turn based battle system (this isn't including the unique ship fights mind you). Where skies stood out was aesthetic. It absolutely nailed the feeling of adventure and exploration and just overall being a very optimistic and happy game that doesn't let itself get bogged down in melodrama.

Though one thing I DID like about the turn-based battle system was the fact that you could see monsters and allies trying to attack each other in the background while you were making your choices. These attacks never actually landed and were only for aesthetic purposes to make battles seem more action-packed than they were, but it was still a neat thing.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

The kids in Akiba's Trip that get their clothes tore off are probably older tho

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

glam rock hamhock posted:

Yeah just pick it up locally if you can.

I guess that's a good sign that maybe it's actually selling well this time

Nah amazon is really bad with nintendo stuff a lot of the time

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

no, 3rd birthday had a functional combat system

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Lace, whiskey, and a case full of cocks leads to a brand new kind of adventure.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

In Training posted:

I want a third birthday sequel

we named the sequel fourth birthday

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

skies of arcadia had too many random battles

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

This forsaken forum has broken me to the point where I'm staring at this and I can see loss in it.

Posts like this aren't helping

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I mean that second one's not actually a loss.jpg

... right?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Endorph posted:

maybe im just too old and lesbian for that trick to work on me

please read my fanfiction where i retell the game with a female protag and all the girls in the game are bi

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

FirstAidKite posted:

It wasn't really messy, it was just kind of plain with nothing about its regular battle system that made it stick out over any other turn based battle system (this isn't including the unique ship fights mind you). Where skies stood out was aesthetic. It absolutely nailed the feeling of adventure and exploration and just overall being a very optimistic and happy game that doesn't let itself get bogged down in melodrama.

Though one thing I DID like about the turn-based battle system was the fact that you could see monsters and allies trying to attack each other in the background while you were making your choices. These attacks never actually landed and were only for aesthetic purposes to make battles seem more action-packed than they were, but it was still a neat thing.

Grandia also had that sense of going on an adventure and the main cast were optimistic and positive.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Iconocloasts or Owlboy?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

please read my fanfiction where i retell the game with a female protag and all the girls in the game are bi

Why not just make everyone in your fanfiction a girl at that point?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Iconocloasts or Owlboy?

Iconoclasts.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

trying to help out people with tempered elders in mhw is fun, because you almost certainly are going to fail the quest and can take pride in not being the one to gently caress it up

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i'm addicted to responding to LR SOS flares in MonHunWo with my tier 5 weapons and stylin' armor and my cat who is dressed like a jester and carries a flower around that he bops dinosaurs with and paralyzes them

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Wow, Nioh is so much better than every other "Soulslike"

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Clearing a HR rathalos + rathian + azure rathalos quest with less than a minute to spare is tense. Wasn't sure I'd make it in time.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I beat Berseria and didn't get bored enough to never finish it like Persona 5 so that's my criteria for liking it better. Unfortunately any game with turn based combat now puts me to sleep and I'd rather play anything that lets me whack buttons to kill stuff.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

oddium posted:

skies of arcadia had too many random battles
that was my experience with MMBN1 which I just beat. making Escape a chip rather than something you can do at any time was an awful decision

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Iconocloasts or Owlboy?

Celeste

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I just captured Rathalos, felt pretty good!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

I beat Berseria and didn't get bored enough to never finish it like Persona 5 so that's my criteria for liking it better. Unfortunately any game with turn based combat now puts me to sleep and I'd rather play anything that lets me whack buttons to kill stuff.

For me I played through both games but only Berseria had a dungeon so bad that I turned it to easy, muted the game and watched videos on my phone while grinding through it.

To be fair it was optional and people I think in this thread literally told me not to do it but I'm dumb and MAN was it bad

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I haven't gotten very far in Berseria yet because I'm trying to clear out some other games first, but I can definitely see why people say it's the best modern Tales game. Dat story swerve at the beginning was cool

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

precision posted:

I haven't gotten very far in Berseria yet because I'm trying to clear out some other games first, but I can definitely see why people say it's the best modern Tales game. Dat story swerve at the beginning was cool

Everything from the end of the village bit through the end of the first real town area is some of the best storytelling in video games imo. It's really spectacular

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Quest For Glory II posted:

that was my experience with MMBN1 which I just beat. making Escape a chip rather than something you can do at any time was an awful decision

you can run from battles if you press L in the chip menu during battle, though that might've been added later. bn1 was a very lame game. unfortunately annoyingly common random encounters are kind of a consistent issue, if you want to just play the better ones i'd recommend skipping to 3 and 6 because 2 exaggerates the issue with really terrible level design and 4 and 5 are pretty much entirely wastes of time

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

The Colonel posted:

the early persona games are better structured narratively even if playing them is a bit of a chore

I don't think Persona 1 was that good, but Persona 2 was neat. Eternal Punishment more so than Innocent sin. I haven't played Persona 3. Maybe someday.

Persona 4 was a mixed bag to me. I utterly hated having to spend time with Teddie, Chie, Yosuke and Yukiko and every time they opened their stupid annoying mouths I just wanted to hang myself. I don't think I really care about any of the other social links except for Adachi, Nanako, Dojima, the Strength duo, and the Hanged Man guy's whose name I don't recall offhand. I liked Rise, Kanji and (especially) Naoto, though. I probably would have liked the game a lot more if I could have never had to interact with the other 4. The random dungeons were an absolute chore even when I could one hit kill pretty much any enemy. The overall plot was... Passable.

Persona 5 so far is pretty cool. I'm only at the third dungeon so far, but I've honestly wanted to spend time with every social link character I've had a chance to. Morgana gets annoying from time to time (particularly when she crits several times and repeats the same line over, and over, and over) but nowhere near a fraction as much as Teddie ever was. Ryuji seems to be like what they were going for with Yosuke, but mostly coming off as likable and kind of a normal dude (with things like the whole scene with the maid service) as opposed to Yosuke basically having nothing to him but trying and failing to get with a girl, any girl. None of the characters are super 12th dimensional Great Gatsby character studies or anything, but they are entertaining and I considered being able to spend time with them a reward, and not a chore.

an actual dog posted:

I will destroy p studio, the worst part of atlus

Atlus has a million mediocre games and even as someone who isn't an enormous Persona fan, the 6 main games probably average somewhere towards the top of their output.

Ometeotl posted:

It's a 60 hour game stretched to 120 with terrible tedium and the writing isn't good.

Thanks for sharing! :)

Endorph posted:

i thought persona 5's dungeons were worse than berseria's. all the rooms were identical in them too only you got booted out of them every ten minutes and you had to do boring stuff like airlock puzzles.

You mean the security thing? Maybe it gets worse later, but I've never come even remotely close to getting kicked out except when I was screwing around trying to farm Regents.

That is one complaint I have, I guess; Leveling up Personae takes FOREVER. Maybe it's my fault because I'm playing on hard. I do appreciate how stat buffs and debuffs have a lot of value, though. Shadow Madarame being hard was a pleasant surprise.

Endorph posted:

main game: mishima is in on the phantom thieves stuff
beach trip 1: we gotta act dodgy around mishima so he doesnt know we're phantom thieves
main game: ann has like, idk, issues with showing off her body in her s. link?
beach trip 2: ann wears a sexy bikini and casually makes fun of ryuji for getting horned up over it

The Mishima thing is kinda weird, but it has that problem within the same plotline. Like, I went from nudge-nudge wink-winking about the phantom thieves thing to more or less straight up stating we were the Phantom Thieves to Mishima, but then the game suddenly only gives options like "Yeah those phantom thieves, huh."

I wonder if that's got to do with the development being like a million years long.

spudsbuckley posted:

Nier:A was dollar store philosophy wrapped up in baseline budget mid-00s game mechanics. Just a bit poo poo really.

I think N:A was really overrated, but it did make pretty good use of the medium. Fantastic music, too.

al-azad posted:

It's more like the games get more linear with each iteration that at some point I question why there even is a calendar system. Persona 3 just lets you loose, requiring you to be strong enough to beat a boss every month and finish the tower at some point before new years. Persona 4 is more linear but you actually have to do the investigation before it'll unlock the dungeon. Persona 5 just takes away almost all agency and I guess it's thematically appropriate but I feel like I'm just a passenger in this world. There are no S-Links tied to jobs, one NPC S-Link is a fellow student, no S-Links are derived from others, and I think this game has the steepest requirements to continue either needing a maxed stat and every single one you have to beat a dude in mementos to complete it despite having less time than ever.

A pretty world that you interact with basically entirely through your phone. And I don't think it would take much to change it up but I'm definitely not going to play it again if they release the Golden equivalent down the line.

I agree with the time problem; I never bothered with the DVD rentals after the first time I had like a 30,000 late fee because I was stuck in story events.

If it weren't for the fact that s-links are mostly stuck on the theme of tarot cards, I'd almost have assumed some were cut, though. There's not very many chances to say, hang out at places thus far despite that being a mechanic.

I think needing a maxed stat to be able to talk to the weapons merchant and get actual weapons is one of the dumbest things they did in the entire game, though.

If (when?) they do a Golden style re-release I'd 100% play it, though. The core of the game is pretty much as good as a JRPG can be in my eyes, but some of the window dressing could have used another pass.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

glam rock hamhock posted:

For me I played through both games but only Berseria had a dungeon so bad that I turned it to easy, muted the game and watched videos on my phone while grinding through it.

To be fair it was optional and people I think in this thread literally told me not to do it but I'm dumb and MAN was it bad

I don't remember a dungeon that bad unless you mean the postgame one that expects you to be like 20 levels higher than most people finish the game at and have been grinding out the best armour, in which case lol

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I just captured Rathalos, felt pretty good!

let him out

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't remember a dungeon that bad unless you mean the postgame one that expects you to be like 20 levels higher than most people finish the game at and have been grinding out the best armour, in which case lol

Yeah that's the one :v:

In general, I think I would take the Subways in P5 over even the best dungeons in Berseria. They just weren't very good. At best they were hallways with five times more enemies than the game actually expected you to fight spawning everytime you entered a room. The ways enemies were distributed was almost uniquely bad in that game being possibly the only time I've seen a game with visible enemy encounters that were done worse than just having random encounters.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Anways, I spent today being really sick, watching AGDQ videos and watching the post office potentially lose a copy of Monster Hunter World that I traded with another good for.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cuntellectual posted:

That is one complaint I have, I guess; Leveling up Personae takes FOREVER. Maybe it's my fault because I'm playing on hard.

This is intentional. You're supposed to fuse personas to get stronger ones, not level up the ones you already have.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

it really dulls the message of power hungry adults getting hosed up imo because the game is pretty much always punching downwards at anyone who isnt a ethnically japanese dude who wants to gently caress some pussy and consistently ignoring any issue thats more complicated than 'dont touch kids'

seriously the villain of the game is a shinzo abe standee and they dont even mention korea, thats like if i made a game where the villain was a trump stand-in and didn't once mention mexico

That first part is so at odds with what I've seen so far I'm not sure if we're talking about the same game. :confused:

Unless you mean how there just AREN'T any minorities really in which case, well, that's kinda Japan. The fact that there's a recurring (though nameless) black NPC that isn't around to make jokes about watermelon or fried chicken is about as good as can be expected.

cheetah7071 posted:

This is intentional. You're supposed to fuse personas to get stronger ones, not level up the ones you already have.

You need to level up personae to get their skills to fuse into the better personae, though!

cheetah7071 posted:

A set MC is absolutely one of the weaknesses of P5 I'll agree. And one that will matter more the less you resemble the old conservative executive's picture of the default gamer

99% of the time when people complain about the lack of diversity in game characters I roll my eyes, but RPGs with set characters are basically the handful of cases I don't. I'd have loved to play as a girl in P5, even if the game acted like I was a dude. Heck, change the romantic social links a bit and it can fit into the whole social outcasts thing by being able to play as a dyke.

Samuringa posted:

Persona 5 is fantastic, but I can't help but get hung over some details, like how skeevy Mona is, how Ann keeps getting treated by the guys and the whole gay panic scenes.

It still has fantastic gameplay, the soundtrack is stellar(There are some good covers on Spotify btw) and loving up power hungry adults is great, but once in a while you just go "wait, what"

Maybe it's just because I'm comparing Morgana to Teddie, or she gets worse when there's more girls in the party, but with regards to Ann she's come across as being more of a precocious child with a crush than genuinely offputting.

I would have liked to be able to stick up for Ann a bit more when guys were getting weird to her, but maybe that was expecting too much from a Japanese game. On that note, I haven't run into any gay panic yet (yet) but I won't be surprised if it comes up. It sucks, but again, kinda par for the course. Doesn't mean we have to like it though, granted.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Digirat posted:

let him out

That's Lao-Shan Lung :argh:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cuntellectual posted:

You need to level up personae to get their skills to fuse into the better personae, though!

you really don't tho

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I didn't have a good Valentine's Day so I decided that all of you goons retroactively are my valentine. Please pretend I gave you candy or something, and that it was your favorite flavor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
before buying account

after buying account

• Locked thread