Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

rafikki posted:

A ticket came in:

Customer states that the firewall we manage has been breached and they have been hacked. Their timer board is showing "Glory to Ukraine, Death to USA".

Investigation reveals that they have the thing plugged straight into their modem and a public IP assigned to it. Further investigation reveals that no credentials are required to login and modify it.

After explaining this to the customer, the only reply we get is "thx".

The firewall that you manage is ludicrously misconfigured and has been hacked? How is that the customer's fault?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Weatherman posted:

The firewall that you manage is ludicrously misconfigured and has been hacked? How is that the customer's fault?

He means the tv board thing is plugged directly into the modem, which means it's not behind their firewall, which means their firewall is fine, the customer is the idiot that put the device directly onto the internet, also they had anonymous admin access available to said thing on the internet.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
I hope the message you sent informing them of this was sent directly to their timer board.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Have some before/after. I had to replace a couple of line cards in a switch and the cabling gave me cancer, so I fixed it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Two new high level executives are starting tomorrow. The COO has been getting antsy because the both left very important positions at real companies to join our shitshow. They don't realize yet that they've been conned.

Anyway, I have all their tech equipment in place. Bill has done his part by making sure one office has an old chair that is missing all but one caster, and the chair in the other office looks like someone was sitting on it when they gave birth.

:thumbsup:

EDIT: ^^^^ You need to velcro those four power cords together so they can efficiently be yanked out at the same time by accident.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

MF_James posted:

He means the tv board thing is plugged directly into the modem, which means it's not behind their firewall, which means their firewall is fine, the customer is the idiot that put the device directly onto the internet, also they had anonymous admin access available to said thing on the internet.

Ohhh I get it now :downs: Sorry, rafikki.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

No worries dude, it's all good. And man, the idea of sending the reply to their timer board is glorious.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Dick Trauma posted:

Two new high level executives are starting tomorrow. The COO has been getting antsy because the both left very important positions at real companies to join our shitshow. They don't realize yet that they've been conned.

Anyway, I have all their tech equipment in place. Bill has done his part by making sure one office has an old chair that is missing all but one caster, and the chair in the other office looks like someone was sitting on it when they gave birth.

:thumbsup:

EDIT: ^^^^ You need to velcro those four power cords together so they can efficiently be yanked out at the same time by accident.

Hahaha holy poo poo not getting a working chair on day one would have me back at my old employer like 'what two weeks notice, I never quit'

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I expect Bill will be triggered into a last minute frenzy to get better chairs, probably by taking them from less important people.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Keyboards are cheap, even on a laptop. I had gently caress-all of a budget at my last gig, and I still made sure all new hires got brand new keyboards and mice at a bare minimum. I wouldn't want to touch a used (to the point the letters are wearing off) keyboard, so I'm not gonna make other people do it either.

When I started my new job ~3 months ago, I got a chair with a dead air cylinder on day one, which really pissed me off. I complained and got a brand new chair by day 3, but it certainly is not a good way to make a first impression and made me have some doubts about my decision right off the bat.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo not getting a working chair on day one would have me back at my old employer like 'what two weeks notice, I never quit'

And that kids, is why you always start the new job before quitting the old one. Two week notice? Or Two week vacation? OMAHA OMAHA :manning:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kurieg posted:

I picked up the first season of CSI:Cyber super cheap and was watching it just to laugh at everything that was so hilariously wrong. My favorite was their visual depiction of tracking traffic through the deep web as if the deep web were a physical place below the internet, indicated by big scary red glowing letters that said DEEP WEB.

Season 2 gets hilariously terrible, because you can always see the exact moment in each episode they write themselves into a corner and contrive bullshit for a solution.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Season 2 gets hilariously terrible, because you can always see the exact moment in each episode they write themselves into a corner and contrive bullshit for a solution.

Didn't they also bring on Ted Danson as an out of touch old-person for their target audience to relate to?

E.G.: "Please explain to me what new-fangled technology you're misusing."

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Feb 15, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kurieg posted:

Didn't they also bring on Ted Danson as an out of touch old-person for their target audience to relate to?

E.G.: "Please explain to me what new-fangled technology you're misusing."

Ted Danson is indeed in season 2. You can also tell he's just collecting a paycheck, playing with the toy of the episode, and not caring at all.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Isn't CSI the one where IRC is pirate ships passing packages at sea?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

spankmeister posted:

Isn't CSI the one where IRC is pirate ships passing packages at sea?

I think that was Numb3rs, someone posted it in the last month or two in some thread.

Yeah, found it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2rGTXHvPCQ

"I speak leet."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I like Numb3rs but they're a lot better at their math then they are at anything involving computers.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

You guys should watch Scorpion. There's 3 or 4 seasons on Netflix and it's the ultimate relaxing tech bullshit show. Most episodes are just your average detective show but sometimes they ramp up the action to ridiculous heights. Like in the pilot where they fix a low-flying airplane from a speeding Lambo, or somewhere in season 2 where they fix a NASA rocket literal seconds before it takes off. Good stuff.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Merijn posted:

You guys should watch Scorpion. There's 3 or 4 seasons on Netflix and it's the ultimate relaxing tech bullshit show. Most episodes are just your average detective show but sometimes they ramp up the action to ridiculous heights. Like in the pilot where they fix a low-flying airplane from a speeding Lambo

Yea, there's a loving USB port on the underside of the plane :lol:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Hackers in on Netflix so you should watch that on repeat instead, with the sound turned up loud during the bits where Leftfield and Underworld are on.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I think you all mean watch the 1995 BBC show Bugs.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Merijn posted:

You guys should watch Scorpion. There's 3 or 4 seasons on Netflix and it's the ultimate relaxing tech bullshit show. Most episodes are just your average detective show but sometimes they ramp up the action to ridiculous heights. Like in the pilot where they fix a low-flying airplane from a speeding Lambo, or somewhere in season 2 where they fix a NASA rocket literal seconds before it takes off. Good stuff.

gently caress no

Even if you look past all the tech bullshit, it's about how ultraintelligent people cannot relate to the normal world, but one of them is a normal person with an ultraintelligent child, so they help her understand his life, and in return she translates the normal world for them.

Imagine everything bad that people say about Big Bang Theory and nerd blackface, and it's thousands of times worse for this show.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Didn't it turn out the guy whose stories they based the entire show on was completely full of poo poo?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Big bang is the bane of my life because of the constant "You work in IT? Do you like the big bang theory then?"

At this point i'm half convinced its a goddamn conspiracy to make me mad

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

dogstile posted:

Big bang is the bane of my life because of the constant "You work in IT? Do you like the big bang theory then?"

Wow IT guy you are just so smart, look at you working with all this code (powershell). It's like that guy on that show, Big Bang haha! Do you watch that show?? Sheldon is so funny, I bet you understand like every joke on that show lol!

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

dogstile posted:

It was awful when my colleague wouldn't shut up about it. He did recommend Mr Robot to me.
Only watched season 1. I should get around to season 2 someday.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sefal posted:

It was awful when my colleague wouldn't shut up about it. He did recommend Mr Robot to me.
Only watched season 1. I should get around to season 2 someday.

Season 2 is just as good :suspense:.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Season 2 is just as good :suspense:.

gently caress. Season 1 was drat good. Some day will be this weekend :v:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Mr Robot is great. It's one of the few series I've seen in a long time where I haven't been able to predict the plot reveals.

The big plot twist in Season 1 was such an "oh poo poo it all makes sense now" moment.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Have you not watched fight club?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Don't be a dick to those who haven't watched it yet, come on.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't be a dick to those who haven't watched it yet, come on.

Yes, watch out for spoilers on that 19 year old movie.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
It's the fact that it spoils Season 1 of Mr. Robot.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Thanks Ants posted:

Hackers in on Netflix so you should watch that on repeat instead, with the sound turned up loud during the bits where Leftfield and Underworld are on.

The correct answer.

tactlessbastard posted:

Didn't it turn out the guy whose stories they based the entire show on was completely full of poo poo?

That would suppose anyone believed him in the first place.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Hey if you guys need to convince your bosses to not use Apples in a work environment, Any program can take a screenshot of your entire desktop at any time and run it through an OCR

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Kurieg posted:

Hey if you guys need to convince your bosses to not use Apples in a work environment, Any program can take a screenshot of your entire desktop at any time and run it through an OCR

How is that different from normal linux/windows applications? Don't those run with the user's privileges? Can't they access/see anything the user can see, including taking a screenshot of the user's desktop?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Kurieg posted:

If someone wants to use a program installed on your computer maliciously you're essentially hosed anyways. The fact that it's easy to program doesn't really change the threat model, since if you're at the point where malicious software is installed as a program on an endpoint then it's compromised anyways.

Proper remediation for this is software restriction policies and removing local administrator from your users.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I felt that if something was privacy sandboxed, it shouldn't be able to see anything outside the sandbox, including via screen capture. It never actually occurred to me the default screen capture would just be accessible by a program.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
Was this the thread talking about time in Linux? Well regardless here:
https://twitter.com/climagic/status/964169350776262656

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Jaded Burnout posted:

I think you all mean watch the 1995 BBC show Bugs.

I have the DVD box set. The memories stood the test of time a lot better.