Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh wow I entirely forgot about Dungen even existing. I love(d) them. Definitely need to go back and re-listen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I bought 3 CDs this weekend.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
Cool. Do you care to elaborate?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Beelerzebub posted:

Cool. Do you care to elaborate?

One is very good, one is okay, and one is real trash and I wish I hadn't bought it.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

happysaph98 posted:

A bunch of people are getting those Square things for phones so they can take cards, else some will just take Paypal or that Facebook money thing. Cash never fails, though.

Went to Arizona a few months ago. Was driving through the Navajo reservation, came across some craft tables under tents, literally on a packed clay road, out in the middle of the desert. The native Americans running the place had those little square things on their cell phones so they could accept plastic and not lose a sale.

Might be time for everybody else to catch up. :)

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I have recently added a few CDs to my collection and forgot to picture Pink Floyd's The Wall. I have added:
Iron Maiden - Powerslave, Number of the Beast
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
The Mountain Goats - Tallahassee, The Sunset Tree, Goths

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I got Monty Python’s Total Rubbish for Christmas! All 9 albums (including the BBC one) in one box with liner notes about the recording of said albums.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

My wife's mother got me Jimi Hendrix's First Rays of a New Sun on CD.

My wife got me a record player and the Westworld soundtrack on vinyl. So now I guess I've started that collection too. :homebrew:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
My haul from DeepDiscount

Funkadelic: Cosmic Slop
Oingo Boingo: Dead Man's Party
Scarface: The Fix
Propagandhi: How To Clean Everything (remastered)
Spiritualized: Ladies and Gentlemen, We Are Floating In Space
Big L: Lifestylez Ov Da Poor and Dangerous
The Damned: Machine Gun Etiquette
Dillinger Four: Midwestern Songs of the Americas
Jello and the Melvins: Never Breathe What You Can't See
Sly and the Family Stone: There's A Riot Goin' On

80 bucks. If you're shoring up your collection, give the site a try.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Best Buy is eliminating CDs in their stores starting July 1st. When I started at BBY back in 05, music was one of the biggest areas. Nowadays it’s an anemic row or two. Crazy to see that over time.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Man, I haven’t gone to Best Buy for a CD in ages. Last one I remember picking up was Random Access Memories.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The FYE closed in my mall, BestBuy is doing this, and Target has always been garbage. I hope that places start selling 24bit FLAC files, because if I'm buying a digital file, I want it to be at least as good as CD quality.

EDIT: I've been toying with the idea of going to pawn shops to see if I can get used CDs on the cheap. I miss when GoHastings would put their used CDs on sale, and I would buy 30 CDs for like $100.

IUG fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 8, 2018

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

IUG posted:

The FYE closed in my mall, BestBuy is doing this, and Target has always been garbage. I hope that places start selling 24bit FLAC files, because if I'm buying a digital file, I want it to be at least as good as CD quality.

I don't disagree but cd quality is 16bit and 44.1keelohurts

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah, but why limit music releases to that standard if you’re not releasing it on a disk? So far, I think I’ve only gotten NiN that was released in that format though.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
No reason, just wanted to make sure you weren’t avoiding 16bit stuff because it is lower than CD quality.

I’ve had quite a few times where the flacs that a band puts on bandcamp are higher than CD quality, which I guess is appreciated by some. The problem is bandcamp doesn’t tell you what quality the flacs are, just that they are flac, so I always end up downsampling them to 16/44.1 anyway since sonos won’t play any higher.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

listening to flacs is stupid. like you're some kind of drat sound robot? ridiculous

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
If you’re lucky sometimes the downloads that come with (some) vinyls are good quality. St Vincent’s latest gives you WAVs, for example. However I have also bought a record that came with 128kbps MP3s which is hilarious in 2017.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That reminds me of the fact that REM released every single song off New Adventures in Hi-Fi for free, a few songs at a time, ahead of its release. And of course, it being 1997, they were incredibly low quality .wav files

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Beelerzebub posted:

Nice. That's one of my favorites. Bat Out of Hell 2 is just as good IMO.

Get the gently caress out of here that album is dogshit especially compared to Bat Out of Hell

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

A human heart posted:

listening to flacs is stupid. like you're some kind of drat sound robot? ridiculous

Also it's physically impossible to tell the difference between flac and a high enough bitrate mp3

And by high enough I mean like, less than 320

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah but if you're going to rip all your cds, why do it in mp3 when you can do it with a lossless format these days? it's not like storage space is a problem anymore

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

realbez posted:

Yeah but if you're going to rip all your cds, why do it in mp3 when you can do it with a lossless format these days? it's not like storage space is a problem anymore

Because it's fast and who cares.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Get the gently caress out of here that album is dogshit especially compared to Bat Out of Hell

Yeah seriously.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Because it's fast and who cares.

This is the CD thread lol

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Listened to it again recently, and yeah. It's not great. Not dogshit, but definitely nowhere near as good as the first. It does have Rock and Roll Dreams Come Through, though, which is a really great song. The rest ranges from alright to dogshit.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

realbez posted:

My iPhone only has 128 gigs, and I'm starting to reach the end of my phone's capacity in music alone. At work I'll listen to over 100 songs a day. Once I go over my phone's capacity, every morning I'll have to sync 100+ new tracks. It would be much worse if they were FLAC files. But if I'm going to buy an album from an online store, I want at least CD quality to start with to down sample from.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
yeah I downsample everything to mp3 for my phone, too. I just think that if I’m going to back up my cds, I might as well actually back them up rather than compressing them in a lossy format. Not that I think I can hear the difference or anything. mp3s are good, but they aren’t a backup.

realbez fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 16, 2018

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

realbez posted:

mp3s are good, but they aren’t a backup.

No, they're the convenience. CDs are the backup, that's the point.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
so I’m talking about backing up my cds and you’re telling me not to because cds are their own backup

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

No, they're the convenience. CDs are the backup, that's the point.

https://news.avclub.com/all-your-precious-collections-may-be-slowly-dying-of-d-1798257268

Discs might not be the best backup...

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

I still buy CD's, among other collecting methods...

Of course I just rip them to FLAC right away and put them on a shelf somewhere but it's nice to have a big pretty collection of album art. And I can find great deals on used CDs sometimes.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Zorodius posted:

Digital files are either lower or equal quality to CDs

Hi-Res files (24 bit/96 khz) are higher, but you could make a good case that the gains are negligible for listening.

mp3s should've died a long time ago though, imo.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Honestly this thread popping back up in the last couple weeks made me realize tonight: I don’t know when I’ll buy a new CD from a major artist. In 2014, I got into the local punk scene and so usually pay $5 for a tape and bandcamp code, or a few bucks more for vinyl. I really only buy CDs if they’re the only option the artist has.

I also don’t really hit up the store around here that sells new and used music. The CDs are usually hella marked up, and so I’d rather use the gift certificate I have on vinyl or a poster, but I don’t care about buying new vinyl reissues of old albums. I’d rather an old vinyl for a bigger name or new vinyl for a small band.

I never really thought I’d see optical media die. Like, of course it was going to, but I guess it came a lot quicker than I expected.

Still buying Blu-Rays tho. gently caress yeah full 1080p and surround audio!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just got The Stooges Fun House on CD and it's rad everyone should have a copy.

$7 on Amazon and $2 cheaper than the download :v:

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

Just got Live at Jittery Joe's, Everything Is, and life of the World to Come. It ended up being $21 total.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

Got these today.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I recently bought Foolish by Superchunk, The Else by They Might Be Giants, and So by Peter Gabriel.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

My wife informed me that my order of 33 CDs from SecondSpin came in today. (Also that one of our cats knocked over a champaign glass and broke it.) . I'll have to check the quality of the disks when I get home.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Beelerzebub posted:

I recently bought Foolish by Superchunk, The Else by They Might Be Giants, and So by Peter Gabriel.

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I'm an old and I still buy CDs too.

Any suggestions for a more compact storage method than just sticking 500 CDs on a shelf? I'm in the process of ripping but loving A I've got a long way to go. And right now they're all either

1. stacked up on the floor after ripping, or
2. in a heavy duty contractor bag in the corner of our study waiting to be ripped.

And no I don't want to toss them all after they're ripped, but the contractor bag is pretty lame.

• Locked thread