Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Instead of video gaming tonight I zonked out and watched random poo poo on the 'tube

A shameful gamer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I spent the evening hunting mons. Had to go back to low rank to work on some weapons, and I felt a little guilty at how I just annihilate everything down there now.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Edit: Nevermind

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

tbh i didn't know it was valentine's day until you posted

gonna die alone but that's not such a bad thing when you're an introvert :v:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I spent today watching streams while drawing. Another eventful Valentine's Day that totally didn't solidify my status as a lonely goon.

I drew this pic for my brother's birthday though since I don't have any money to spend on actual gifts. He likes pokemon so whatever, I'm sure he'll be fine with it. He knows I'm poor anyways.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Iconocloasts or Owlboy?

Hollow Knight

Ciaphas posted:

tbh i didn't know it was valentine's day until you posted

gonna die alone but that's not such a bad thing when you're an introvert :v:

I knew it was Valentine's day because when you work in retail you have to keep stocking the seasonal merchandise.

Which reminds me, I once found a box of condoms in the back of the candy section. I'm certain someone put that there on purpose.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Really Pants posted:

Skies of Arcadia's gameplay always just looked kind of messy to me, but the setting was great and we should have a lot more games about air pirates in general.

Giving you spells and abilities that affect specific parts of the battlefield and not letting you have any control over positioning is such a weird idea. If SoA does ever get any kind of remake (it won't) then I'd hope for a system more like something from Trails in the Sky.

But the discovery mechanic is so so good. Let me dig up weird and magical secrets across the world all day long

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

that being said i can't find anything in my steam library or in the store that i'm too interested in playing right now, besides possibly subnautica but that keeps scaring me

something graphically intense maybe, been mucking about with the pc for a few days cleaning it up etc

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
My mom gave me Skies of Arcadia for Valentine's Day fifteen years ago :unsmith:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I spent the night hugging and kissing my favorite girl, then my DS died and I had to stop playing love plus

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Looper posted:

My mom gave me Skies of Arcadia for Valentine's Day fifteen years ago :unsmith:

Why did your mom give you something on Valentine's Day?

Ciaphas posted:

that being said i can't find anything in my steam library or in the store that i'm too interested in playing right now, besides possibly subnautica but that keeps scaring me

Oh come on, Subnautica isn't scary. Just swimming with lots of friendly fish.

Look at that face! That's a happy face you can trust.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I thought I wasn't spooked by the ocean but i was oh so wrooooong :cry:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
instead of gaming tonight i finally bit the bullet and cooked my font

but one might say that makegame is the most galaxy brain activity in gaming

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I have died 24 times to Diablos and burning all these items in losing battles is just confirming every hoarding instinct I have ever had in an RPG

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

wow I just scrolled through my labyrinth of a steam library and I really can't find anything i really want to play right now or this weekend (besides more monhun of course), and especially nothing graphically intensive

not seeing a lot on the store either, did i awake from monhun hypnosis into a drought or something

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

for me diablos is the monster that most suddenly shifted from "oh my god this is impossible" to "heh more like predictablos :smug:". it took a long time across multiple games but i suddenly went from fearing them to smushing them without even noticing it happening

so take heart CharlieFoxtrot

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

for me diablos is the monster that most suddenly shifted from "oh my god this is impossible" to "heh more like predictablos :smug:". it took a long time across multiple games but i suddenly went from fearing them to smushing them without even noticing it happening

so take heart CharlieFoxtrot

It rules when monsters get to be like that for you, going from "It never stops attacking what am I supposed to do" to just trying to see how fast you can take it out because you recognize all their openings. I'm at the elder dragon fights and they're really the only things I feel at risk of losing to. Everything else is only a threat due to me getting too cocky. I need to find better ways to deal with flying enemies though, just so they don't take so long.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

flash bombs, bring lots of them

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

bring three flash pods and ten flashbugs on every quest, craft on the fly

grats the entire rath family and several other monsters besides are completely loving snookered

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

hmm maybe I could install witcher 3? try to get more than ten hours into that again

but that feels less like a good game and more like a kinda-bad game wrapped in an enthralling fantasy universe, and i'm less patient with those nowadays

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
re; p5 social links, now that I think about it, it actually makes sense somewhat that you have no social links other than Mishima among the student NPCs, as there's all those rumors around you.

precision posted:

you really don't tho

How else am I supposed to achieve 100% completion in my persona log?!

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 15, 2018

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Diablos is what killed me last night and I still might not ever play the stupid game again

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

screamer bombs, bring lots of em

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I tried using those since the free items are supposed to help you but every time I tried to use them while Diablos was tunneling I did nothing, got stun locked by his surfacing attack, then died

Edit I have spent three hours on this one fight now, I accidentally overrode my layout which is probably a sign my head is not in the game. Most of my deaths come from panicking and not being able to use items because I keep telling myself to use the shortcuts but I don't remember any of them in the middle of Battle so I use the scroll wheel and die

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Feb 15, 2018

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Honestly while I generally like it my biggest problem with MonHun is how long everything takes, when I can slap something around for 30 minutes then still die and fail the mission I just feel like I'm wasting my time, more so than spending an hour on a Souls boss but getting like 12 attempts in that time, even though there's no difference really.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sakurazuka posted:

Diablos is what killed me last night and I still might not ever play the stupid game again

LR Diablos is real easy once you realize you can tank every single attack she has. the gunlance shield is strong enough to take no damage even from her burrowing attack. it's actually one of the easiest mons for me, i don't think i've fainted more than once to her ever

Kirin OTOH can eat all the dicks

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I tried using those since the free items are supposed to help you but every time I tried to use them while Diablos was tunneling I did nothing, got stun locked by his surfacing attack, then died
yeah screamers are only worth it if he's tunneling fairly far, because of the recovery time after sheathing your weapon before you can fire the slinger, its mostly just a way to get some bonus damage in rather than mitigating the attack to begin with. mostly you can just bait him and roll out of the way before he surfaces, or if you're using lance or CB you can tank the hit with your shield

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

precision posted:

LR Diablos is real easy once you realize you can tank every single attack she has. the gunlance shield is strong enough to take no damage even from her burrowing attack. it's actually one of the easiest mons for me, i don't think i've fainted more than once to her ever

Kirin OTOH can eat all the dicks
IDK if you can get guard up in LR, but if you can that will let you tank all of kirin's stuff

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Are all the costumes for P5 DLC only, not unlockable by playing like in p4g?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cuntellectual posted:

Unless you mean how there just AREN'T any minorities really in which case, well, that's kinda Japan. The fact that there's a recurring (though nameless) black NPC that isn't around to make jokes about watermelon or fried chicken is about as good as can be expected
i mean, not really, koreans both in and out of japan are a constant political issue and the game is dealing with politics on some level considering the villain is literally a politician. and theres plenty of stuff out there that actually touches on this on some level. freaking sword art online has a korean character and the story dedicates like two lines to her issues assimilating into japanese society especially due to her recurring illnesses. sword art online is more transgressive and brave than persona 5 lol

also have you gotten to the gay dudes in shinjuku who are based on actual 1990s gay comedians who were gay rights activists, and the game depicts them as into sexually assaulting teenage boys, and plays that for laughs, because that's a funny thing to do with caricatures of rl gay dudes

Endorph fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Feb 15, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Edit I have spent three hours on this one fight now, I accidentally overrode my layout which is probably a sign my head is not in the game. Most of my deaths come from panicking and not being able to use items because I keep telling myself to use the shortcuts but I don't remember any of them in the middle of Battle so I use the scroll wheel and die

Try doing the fight without trying to use items besides potions. My mindset on them is that they are there to provide more opportunity when you know what you're doing, not to be critical to success. That will help get you in the mindset of evading attacks and looking for tells first rather than looking for opportunities to do damage. Just spend time evading and watching rather than trying to attack from the start, which will also tire it out a bit. You'll also get a better feel for using the superman dive to dodge big attacks like his tunneling because boy howdy is it absolutely necessary when you get to the elder dragons who all have one hit down attacks. Diablos has huge windows where it's open or doing a tail swing, but because he dashes so far you might not catch up with him in time to take advantage if you don't run off to the side but in the same direction as his dashes.

You still may get hit with an unlucky stun and followup, but that's how it goes.

Also yeah, kirin is just an rear end in a top hat and annoying to fight.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like im not expecting persona 5 to be some woke masterpiece but the game is constantly posturing about how its about neglected teens taking the fight to lovely adults and then the cast are

1) a middle class japanese kid whose punishment for assaulting a politician is living in a cool flat and getting free coffee, and who gets weird rumors about him but is never actually bullied or threatened in any way due to these things.
2) a kid with a lovely home life who got kicked off the track team due to a bum leg and a lovely coach, but the story doesnt really dedicate much time to these things because ryuji has to be made fun of at every opportunity
3) ann is a half-white model who presumably makes good money off her work and is also gorgeous enough to be a model, and while she's creeped on by the first villain she has a friend who was literally assaulted that the game hastily shoves off screen so hard that she might as well have said 'i have to go now. my planet needs me.' also the racial issues inherent to her character are a throwaway line because her s. link is about 8 different things.
4) yusuke is actually in kind of a lovely situation also but bizarrely the game plays his abject poverty and desperation for, uh... laughs? and some of the jokes are funny but he's hanging out with a model, a rich girl, and a bunch of other kids who are decently well-off, you'd think one of them could toss him a few bucks instead of him saying hes starving and everyone going 'oh that yusuke.'
5) futaba actually has serious issues that the game treats halfway decently. grats to futaba.
6) makoto is a cop
7) haru is insanely rich and got rich off her dad being a literal embodiment of everything wrong with capitalism, and then everyone goes 'boy it sure sucks your dad died,' which yeah sure its a complex situation but are none of us going to talk about how shes insanely rich and like, what she should do with that money in order to help other people. no? we're just gonna beat up shinzo abe? okay i guess
8) morgana is a cat

like im not saying they should have been the burger king kids club but like, the cast of persona 4 were dealing with more legitimate social ails than most of these kids just because they all lived in a kind of broke town. come on. at least dont put a rich kid and a cop into your game about how the systems that society is built on are unjust.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Feb 15, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

kirin can suck dicks in hell

horse hell

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

kirin can suck dicks in hell

horse hell
which kirin lol

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Raxivace posted:

I didn't have a good Valentine's Day so I decided that all of you goons retroactively are my valentine. Please pretend I gave you candy or something, and that it was your favorite flavor.

Caramel? How did you know?!?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

first act of persona 5: woah a game about legitimate social issues like teachers sexually abusing kids this game is badass
second act of persona 5: woah a game about legitimate social issues like a weird tengu man murdering a woman in order to profit off her art...?
third act of persona 5: woah a game about legitimate social issues like wondering if this said yakuza or mafia in japanese, also it kind of brushes up against teenage prostitution but only in the loosest terms and the guy who wanted to kidnap and sell teenage girls into prostitution is also a wacky bug man who starts freestyle rapping when you fight him because this game understands tone
fourth act of persona 5: i mean futaba's issues are decently written even if the way it ties into the main plot kind of kills the 'social issues' angle
fifth act of persona 5: woah a game about legitimate social issues like capitalism (note: killing the slave driver who's gotten his employees killed was bad, actually)
sixth act of persona 5: woah a game about legitimate social issues like LOKI
seventh act of persona 5: i get the metaphor with the god guy but also what

ending of persona 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtbkYCLFxYU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

homeless snail posted:

which kirin lol

i mean i can beat em up when theyre tempered but it is such a careful slogfest of one-mistake-and-you’re-already-dead even with defensive mantles and stuff

yeuch, xeno is more fun to fight

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Hey was FF12 any good, I honestly can’t remember playing more than an hour of it in its original form and I’ve just learned of the remaster or whatever on Steam

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Hey was FF12 any good, I honestly can’t remember playing more than an hour of it in its original form and I’ve just learned of the remaster or whatever on Steam

its good if you like a bunch of weird british banter and auto-battle mechanics

personally i like one of those things so i think its okay

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

watched the new cloverfield movie on netflix, I guess the defining attribute of all these movies is that the endings loving suck huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

chumbler posted:

Why not just make everyone in your fanfiction a girl at that point?

i left ryuji and yusuke male to throw a bone to people who like more than lesbians and paired them off

I did genderswap Akechi tho

• Locked thread