Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsupremacy
Dec 3, 2012

Ranter posted:

Win? How did you win?

u flex on em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
^^^^^ Look at this scrub who doesn't flex+ on em.

LifeLynx posted:

I'm sort of worried about replayability as a roguelike.

It feels like a finished game, but it's early access. There is a ton of additional content planned according to the devs (and it's been released a bit every week).

I don't expect it to be BoI levels of replayable, but it seems easy enough to expand as it is (new cards for existing classes, new classes, new monsters, alternative areas, additional events and relics). I assume the largest influx of content is going to be related to new mechanicss, as you can only extract so much content from the existing ones.

Speaking of: I just won a run with Nightmare (that I got from Neowth. I've used it 5 times in the whole run, and it's a terrible card; but it let you do hilarious hijinks together with Bullet Time, like:
- quadruple alchemize
- quadruple catalyst+
- quadruple footwoork+
- quadruple caltrops+
- quadruple blur against the Awakened One

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 14, 2018

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

LifeLynx posted:

I'm sort of worried about replayability as a roguelike. Not too much though. The two characters in the game are already pretty well balanced, and the developer admitted that too many new cards can't be added because they'd dilute the card pool and make archetypes difficult to draft. I could see this being solved by letting people pick from four cards instead of three with each card selection screen. New characters are planned and would help add variety and keep it going because if you got bored of Ironclad decks, you could do a few runs as Character #4.

The Binding of Isaac has thrown off its game balance with expansions and booster packs, so I'd hate to see StS suffer the same fate. Isaac has some great ideas with character ideas though. I'd love to see an Eden-like character that just shuffled 80 random cards from all the classes together as the card pool for that run.

They have said the strategy for adding new cards would be to keep creating new classes, each with their own card pools. That way they can keep adding variety without running into the bloat problem seen in a lot of other rogue-lites.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

LifeLynx posted:

I'm sort of worried about replayability as a roguelike. Not too much though. The two characters in the game are already pretty well balanced, and the developer admitted that too many new cards can't be added because they'd dilute the card pool and make archetypes difficult to draft. I could see this being solved by letting people pick from four cards instead of three with each card selection screen. New characters are planned and would help add variety and keep it going because if you got bored of Ironclad decks, you could do a few runs as Character #4.

The Binding of Isaac has thrown off its game balance with expansions and booster packs, so I'd hate to see StS suffer the same fate. Isaac has some great ideas with character ideas though. I'd love to see an Eden-like character that just shuffled 80 random cards from all the classes together as the card pool for that run.

I think I read somewhere that they decided they could get around card pool inflation by just making more characters. There's still a third of the game we haven't seen yet and know nothing about.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
I was playing a pretty normal shiv deck, then I ended up picking up an item I hadn't seen before. A dead branch. Well, that was interesting. The last fight took about 20 mins and I gave up trying to plan things half way through.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

So here is an interesting one that just happened to me. Started a new game, took the Transform a Card opener, and got Evolve. Do I immediately start moving towards an exhaust deck? Do I keep it in mind depending on what I see? I just got to my first merchant and Power Through is available, so that seems like a good sign? So I rolled with it and ended up in a weird place where it felt close to coming together for a Wound/Second Wind block deck - but I never saw Body Slam, so I ended up just picking up Strike cards for the Perfected Strikes it threw at me. Funny enough, I almost pulled off the run as well, died to Shapes at the very end do to some poor draws (hello pulling both Second Winds with only attack cards, and then the next turn pull all wounds and a Strike+). Run history below for critique:

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Okay I've played enough into Ascension that I'm now at below 50% win rate with Silent. I don't know if I'd say Silent is inherently bad compared to Ironclad, but I really feel like Silent needs better upgrades. Too many Silent upgrades are just +3 damage or armor, while I feel like Ironclad gets much more transformational upgrades like +1 card Pommel Strike and 0 cost Body Slam. Mind you I just started the game recently so I'm on 2 tiers of unlocks playing A3 and I see that 7 damage on discard card on every card pick when the card isn't strong enough to really bust discard decks open by itself.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

LifeLynx posted:

I'm sort of worried about replayability as a roguelike. Not too much though. The two characters in the game are already pretty well balanced, and the developer admitted that too many new cards can't be added because they'd dilute the card pool and make archetypes difficult to draft. I could see this being solved by letting people pick from four cards instead of three with each card selection screen.

There's literally a relic that does just that for you, so you'd have to reconceptualize a lot more than just card access.

I think the proposed idea of "instead of adding new cards to existing classes, add new classes with different playstyles" is best for game longetivity, though being in early access we can't exactly see how that'll pan out until it happens.

Ultima66 posted:

Okay I've played enough into Ascension that I'm now at below 50% win rate with Silent. I don't know if I'd say Silent is inherently bad compared to Ironclad, but I really feel like Silent needs better upgrades. Too many Silent upgrades are just +3 damage or armor, while I feel like Ironclad gets much more transformational upgrades like +1 card Pommel Strike and 0 cost Body Slam. Mind you I just started the game recently so I'm on 2 tiers of unlocks playing A3 and I see that 7 damage on discard card on every card pick when the card isn't strong enough to really bust discard decks open by itself.

A lot of Silent's card upgrades are just straight block/damage bumps, yeah, which I think plays into the fact that Silent plays into a bigger deck much easier, but bigger decks are harder to properly upgrade.

Unfortunately, Ironclad is the one who gets Armaments, when the effect really synergizes better with the Silent taking big decks.

The thing about Silent discard decks is that they're less about cards (though Tactician and Reflex are cornerstones and need to be in most discard decks) and more about card churn. Relics help boost your output (there's relics that give you +3 Block or do 3 damage to enemies whenever you discard that are absolutely top priorities when running a discard deck) but really, a proper Silent discard deck is also a proper Silent draw deck. The general idea is to start playing and removing enough Tacticians and Reflexes to fuel whatever you drat well want to do, while at the same time more or less keeping you safe from curses and statuses by punting them out of the way.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
Jesus christ that trio of slavers in the second floor elite pool is absolute dogshit. I would take Nemesis any day over having to deal with that garbage. I don't know what the rationale was when that encounter was being designed. They hit you for high 20s to low 30s every single turn.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Ghost Head posted:

Jesus christ that trio of slavers in the second floor elite pool is absolute dogshit. I would take Nemesis any day over having to deal with that garbage. I don't know what the rationale was when that encounter was being designed. They hit you for high 20s to low 30s every single turn.

They're basically an extension of the triangles, in that they're a trio of hard-hitting enemies that have relatively anemic health pools (compared to other elites) but make up for it in numbers. They crumble pretty quickly to AoE damage, though admittedly very few decks build into that what with the rarity of Whirlwind or Die Die Die, respectively.

While we're talking about Absolute Dogshit in the city, though, I am sick and loving tired of the death orb being my first fight in the floor; it pretty much guarantees I'll end up taking some (or often, a lot) of damage before I can even really settle into the floor because I'm still largely relying on starter Strikes and Defends to pad out my deck and those don't do poo poo versus barricade and a 5-turn frail, respectively.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Feb 15, 2018

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Ultima66 posted:

Okay I've played enough into Ascension that I'm now at below 50% win rate with Silent. I don't know if I'd say Silent is inherently bad compared to Ironclad, but I really feel like Silent needs better upgrades.

It's a common thought that Ironclad is easier than Silent in Ascension, especially at high levels; mostly because of how important the starting relic is when you are going to take chip damage at almost every fight.

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia

That Italian Guy posted:

It's a common thought that Ironclad is easier than Silent in Ascension, especially at high levels; mostly because of how important the starting relic is when you are going to take chip damage at almost every fight.

A related question, how often do you replace the starting relics in either character?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

For me

Ironclad: Never replace starting relic, that heal is too good early on
Silent: Maybe replace, depends on other options really.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Artelier posted:

For me

Ironclad: Never replace starting relic, that heal is too good early on
Silent: Maybe replace, depends on other options really.

:same:

Burning Blood never stops being significant, and it even gets an upgrade in the boss pool. Ring of the Snake is nice, but it doesn't help you play those extra cards you draw, and you can still get screwed early on and take some hits with a bad draw. Passive HP regen after a battle means you can take a few scrapes and still come out okay, or if you get bashed around a bit, a perfect fight or two will patch you right up. On the other hand, the Silent has a battle of attrition that they're prepared to lose from the get-go, given that the initial two or three fights with your starter cards are a nightmare to get through without taking at least a few cuts and bruises.

tl;dr: the Ironclad's starting relic is too good to ever consider tossing to the whale, whereas losing the Silent's isn't going to make or break a run on its own.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Ironclad can sacrifice half his HP to the whale and it's fine. I feel that boss relics aren't as run defining as rare relics. Like I would be actually pissed to get something like Tiny House.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Grimwall posted:

A related question, how often do you replace the starting relics in either character?

Personally, never unless I'm just messing around. It's not worth a curse and both starting relics are pretty good.

KataraniSword posted:

tl;dr: the Ironclad's starting relic is too good to ever consider tossing to the whale, whereas losing the Silent's isn't going to make or break a run on its own.

I usually run several powers and card draw/cycle in my Silent, and drawing more cards on round 1 help quite a lot with that. Nothing worse than having a static hand most of the time, especially on round 1 when you don't have your bullshit combos running already.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Feb 15, 2018

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia
I also discovered a fun little card combo for Ironclad: Brutality + Bites + Rupture + Limit break for free str forever.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

To underline how much this game has divisive (good? balanced?) content, Celerity - the 50 win streak alternating characters guy - just said that, aside from energy ones, Snecko Eye is the most busted relic in the game, cause it fundamentally breaks the mechanics of StS.

According to other high ascension players, it's the worst relic.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
It's busted because it lets you make plays no other relic will, and it's divisive because of the randomness. And I love it.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

junan_paalla posted:

It's busted because it lets you make plays no other relic will, and it's divisive because of the randomness. And I love it.

Yeah, it basically offers the Ring of the Snake's bonus every turn, and completely throws a wrench in the actual game balance. Imagine if an actual card game like MtG had a card in one of its expansions that said "roll a d6 whenever you draw a card, that's the card's cost for this turn". Suddenly the energy economy in the game has been completely and utterly disemboweled.

Or you could get bad rolls and end up RNG screwed, if you don't draw the card soon enough or if you draw it too soon and don't have the power cards to use with it.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Stallion Cabana posted:

Demon Form is mediocre at best, if not outright bad. It absolutely is not in contention for being the best card in the game.

It's just too expensive and ramps up too slow unless you're also using a slow, grindy deck that can survive the build up. I will agree on Offering and Adrenaline though. I never skip an Offering.

Demon Form is a win condition for decks with a lot of block, which are very easy to build. It's a very good card.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It's okay, but I like Limit Break a lot more. Really, one of the nicer things about the Ironclad is how flexible his conditions are. He's durable enough that almost any scaling ability can carry his long game if he focuses on block.

On that note, Body Slam+ is maybe my pick for the most broken common.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
among the best feelings in this game, getting a girya just before your first campfire is probably in the top 5

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

my own thoughts on snake ring vs burning blood:

there's two common relics. one heals you for 2 at combat start, the other draws 2 extra cards on combat start. the card draw is certainly one of the best common relics, but burning blood is so much better than the equivalent common relic it's not even funny

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Watched a beta stream last night and apparently the area 3 elite pool gets a 2 Cube Guardian (? The things that just gain strength every turn and give you burn cards) which I think is horse poo poo since they only have like 50some hp and are a joke compared to the head or even post nerf Nemesis

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Those things gently caress up lean decks incredibly hard

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Minrad posted:

my own thoughts on snake ring vs burning blood:

there's two common relics. one heals you for 2 at combat start, the other draws 2 extra cards on combat start. the card draw is certainly one of the best common relics, but burning blood is so much better than the equivalent common relic it's not even funny

True, but it’s worth noting that the common heal-for-2 relic is also a free ticket into Bitetown with no MaxHP loss. It’s reliant on you chancing into that event, but Bite is enough of a straight upgrade to your starting Strikes that unless you’ve pruned the hell out of your deck it’s a significant power boost.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

KataraniSword posted:

True, but it’s worth noting that the common heal-for-2 relic is also a free ticket into Bitetown with no MaxHP loss. It’s reliant on you chancing into that event, but Bite is enough of a straight upgrade to your starting Strikes that unless you’ve pruned the hell out of your deck it’s a significant power boost.

The bite upgrade is almost always worthless to me because I do prune the hell out of my Strikes. Unless I spot a card or relic that's a high priority for my build, cutting a Strike is my default action whenever I hit a shop.

I agree that the Silent's started relic is much weaker, probably too weak. I'd rather it was something like draw one extra card per turn.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Archenteron posted:

Watched a beta stream last night and apparently the area 3 elite pool gets a 2 Cube Guardian (? The things that just gain strength every turn and give you burn cards) which I think is horse poo poo since they only have like 50some hp and are a joke compared to the head or even post nerf Nemesis

they have closer to 90 hp and they're already in the pool. they're probably one of the easier encounters, but I've died to them before with thin decks if they open with double burn. they don't really have any gimmicks like nemesis or head, instead they just do a bunch of damage and you lose if you can't kill them both quickly.

realistically, they're only slightly worse than triple cultist encounters.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Ring of the Snake has an equivalent: Bag of Preparation (common).

Burning Blood has a less good equivalent: Bloody Idol (event, i.e. rarer than rare, requires first getting the Golden Idol event, then the event to trade the Idol) and that is 5 hp every time you get gold.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Also, the best Silent discard deck is Unceasing Top. You get to play hilarious nonsense like Concentrate (0, Uncommon, Discard 3 cards: gain [G][G]) and just cycle through your stuff.

Of course the irony is those "Unplayable" cards designed for discard decks are very bad for this deck.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

somehow i've never managed to trade the idol and it remains the one relic I've never gotten. yet I see it every time someone posts a screenshot, wtf

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Minrad posted:

among the best feelings in this game, getting a girya just before your first campfire is probably in the top 5

Peace Pipe's even better, being able to gently caress away all your Strikes before the first boss is amazing.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I want to like Snecko Eye but I feel like this is way too common;

This was in a deck where I got a Bludgeon from the Whale, so I was trying to remove cards, but I died in the city due to getting hands like this over and over.

my next run did not do an amazing benefit to transforming cards.

I generally try to avoid posting random pics but these two happened one after another and are such weird examples of RNG.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

:same:

Burning Blood never stops being significant, and it even gets an upgrade in the boss pool. Ring of the Snake is nice, but it doesn't help you play those extra cards you draw, and you can still get screwed early on and take some hits with a bad draw. Passive HP regen after a battle means you can take a few scrapes and still come out okay, or if you get bashed around a bit, a perfect fight or two will patch you right up. On the other hand, the Silent has a battle of attrition that they're prepared to lose from the get-go, given that the initial two or three fights with your starter cards are a nightmare to get through without taking at least a few cuts and bruises.

i think the biggest problem i have with the silent relic is it's literally the bag of preparation, which i conveniently happen to almost always get while playing Silent

Stallion Cabana posted:

I want to like Snecko Eye but I feel like this is way too common;

This was in a deck where I got a Bludgeon from the Whale, so I was trying to remove cards, but I died in the city due to getting hands like this over and over.

my next run did not do an amazing benefit to transforming cards.

I generally try to avoid posting random pics but these two happened one after another and are such weird examples of RNG.

Snecko eye isn't really good if your deck is full of 1 cost cards. I don't like it much either since i tend to go for 1 costers.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
yeah, that's the problem with it. You need to start building even before you have it, it feels like. I was removing strikes as normal but the swap to the Eye- even on boss one-, I just wasn't able to get the cards removed in time, especially because I'd keep drawing 2-3 cost on every card while Bludgeon wasn't getting a downcost at all; it was difficult to beat foes playing 1 card per turn.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

You really don't, though.

You should almost always have a few 2+ cost cards (unless you're going for a specific 0 mana cycle gimmick, since expensive cards are exponentially better value on their own); and both Shrug it Off and Backflip are common and super good - and super good with Snecko. Anything that does something and cycles itself has the potential of being amazing, as you get 25% or 44% chance of pulling a 0 cost card from it (depending if it cycles for 1 or 2). If your hand is big enough, the RNG becomes irrelevant.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 15, 2018

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Does anyone know if the costs on Snecko Eye are actually random (i.e., 25% chance of 0, 1, 2, or 3) or if it's distributed in some way?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

I don't think we can know for sure, but afaik it's "random" (probably not truly, just some regular randomizer) and not based on any pattern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

That Italian Guy posted:

You really don't, though.
You should almost always have a few 2+ cost cards

In Ironclad, the only 2-cost non-rare I'm taking early is Flame Barrier. I'll snag an Uppercut+ late, but that's it. Even the rares are like 50/50, so other than Bash, I'll only ever have like 0-3 2+ cards in an Ironclad deck, so why would I ever want lolrandom Snecko Eye.

Honestly, the thing that make Snecko Eye worth keeping is more if you can get Whirlwinds or Skewers early, since those are unaffected and it'll let you toss them and any cards that get reduced to 0.