Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
Rei made a friend whose more hopeless than he is. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I was really confused until someone explained what was going on in the next episode preview. Thanks, preview!

Sindai fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jan 29, 2018

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Stupid q: roughly which episode of the manga does the most recent episode end? I wanna start reading forward.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
They actually display the manga chapter #'s during every episode. Latest episode covered chapters 74-76.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
How far is the Manga right now?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
About one volume comes out a year, which was Volume 13 (chapters 127-139) as of at least October 2017.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Anime takes a 3 week hiatus during Olympic winter games, this Saturday will have episode 38, and episode 39 will be on March 3rd.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Noooooooooooooooo!

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

March comes in with an episode and takes a nap until April

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Taking a break on a high note. The Kawamoto family is very powerful.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I just want Kiriyama to eat all that delicious food.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It was nice to even just see Rei have a genuine laugh like that :unsmith:

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
Now we can all be assured of perfectly soft boiled eggs thanks to the Kawamoto family.
https://my.mixtape.moe/wwzxlp.webm

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I don't really know why I started watching this because I don't loving understand shogi and I generally hate anything even adjacent to the phrase "slice of life" but this show is kinda spiritually soothing. Also the pacing is absolutely glacial which I can't even tell whether is a bad thing or not.

I guess it's just nice to watch something that doesn't have trash characterisation and the plotlines aren't fantastical.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Amstrad posted:

Now we can all be assured of perfectly soft boiled eggs thanks to the Kawamoto family.
https://my.mixtape.moe/wwzxlp.webm

Great, now this show is responsible for both cardiac arrest due to adorableness AND a massive increase in my cholesterol

Anyway I went and charged ahead, massive manga spoilers

holy poo poo holy poo poo the father arc, holy poo poo holy poo poo
Rei straight out of the loving blue PROPOSING MARRIAGE
and Hina being totally cool with it

Is Honey and Clover as good as this? I know a lot of people liked it back in the day and I may have to take it up myself.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

MJP posted:

Great, now this show is responsible for both cardiac arrest due to adorableness AND a massive increase in my cholesterol

Anyway I went and charged ahead, massive manga spoilers

holy poo poo holy poo poo the father arc, holy poo poo holy poo poo
Rei straight out of the loving blue PROPOSING MARRIAGE
and Hina being totally cool with it

Is Honey and Clover as good as this? I know a lot of people liked it back in the day and I may have to take it up myself.

Honey and Clover is really good but different than March Comes in like a Lion. March Comes in like a Lion is probably Chica Umino's better work. Honey and Clover is more melodrama and deals with romance, graduating college and learning more about themselves. The use of music in the anime is really good though.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Honey and Clover is really great but it also has one of the most maddening endings I have ever witnessed

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
what happens

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

littleorv posted:

Honey and Clover is really great but it also has one of the most maddening endings I have ever witnessed

By and large I thought the ending was great and made sense, but that's probably because I interpreted Shuji as being Hagu's caretaker rather than a husband-to-be, and if someone took it the other way I can see not liking it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

yes the ending is better if you misinterpret it

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Cake Attack posted:

yes the ending is better if you misinterpret it

I don't see the relationship ever being anything more than one-way, even if he wanted something more.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

littleorv posted:

This is a really good synopsis of that show.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I finally caught up, I'm not sure if it was intentional, Souya appearing to be child-like and autistic when actually he is just becoming deaf. The way he reacted (or actually didn't react) to the wine was a bit too much and didn't feel consistent with him just being deaf.

I admit that him not picking up the phone in an earlier episode was some clever foreshadowing though.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Symbolic Butt posted:

I finally caught up, I'm not sure if it was intentional, Souya appearing to be child-like and autistic when actually he is just becoming deaf. The way he reacted (or actually didn't react) to the wine was a bit too much and didn't feel consistent with him just being deaf.
I feel like it was more that he just finds the media attention tiresome at this point, and just didn't really give a poo poo since people tend to think of him as pretty eccentric anyway and it got him out of the gaggle sooner.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I think the implication is not that he is is intermittently deaf specifically, but that he is just detaching from reality. There is a constant reinforcement of his transcendental nature, and that he has the distance of a deity. He sort of fades in and out of the normal plane of existence, and sound is just a part of that.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

:love:

https://twitter.com/freusan/status/965018866110910464

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
honkers

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol she is almost literally doing honkers's official art pose.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Getting a little existential this week.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh right, this arc! For some reason I thought this was way later. It really cuts straight to the bone.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
They make it hard to know who to root for.

My impression though is that Kishou(?) probably shouldn't be striving to win because his friends and colleagues stopped playing Shogi and saddling him with that obligation; they stopped, that's their choice and on them, maybe for one tournament it'd be fine to say "I dedicate this win to [X] who unfortunately had to stop." But you're entire shogi career? That's unreasonable.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
Holy hell this was an incredible episode. This show is so astonishingly good at pushing you into its' characters heads and making you feel their experiences, even for minor side characters.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Raenir Salazar posted:

They make it hard to know who to root for.

My impression though is that Kishou(?) probably shouldn't be striving to win because his friends and colleagues stopped playing Shogi and saddling him with that obligation; they stopped, that's their choice and on them, maybe for one tournament it'd be fine to say "I dedicate this win to [X] who unfortunately had to stop." But you're entire shogi career? That's unreasonable.

Kishou isn't his name, it's a title he's earned, like "grandmaster" or something. It's replacing the numbered rank other players get, ie: Shimada 8-dan. His name is Yanagihara, iirc. If Shimada wins he will become the new Kishou. That's what they mean by a title match: they're literally competing for a title.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
Holy Hell episode 40 was amazing. I still don't understand one thing about shogi but that was one incredible battle. Seeing this animated really adds to the emotion of whats going to.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Lmao WTF That post credits art

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Pootybutt posted:

the literal representation of 3-gatsu characters as Street Fighter characters.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Powerful characters require Powerful Art.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Pootybutt posted:

I've always wanted to see Hana dressed as Dva and Rei as a Jojo character.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Man, I've consumed all the March Comes in Like a Lion I could find, and I've got some opinions.

This show is really good, and I enjoy seeing people laugh, blush, cry and generally look adorable. The squishy cartoony faces make everyone seem so alive. It's giving me a major Totoro vibe whenever Bodoro Momo is in a scene:

If Mei is a crab, then Momo is some type of hamster.

The voice acting also really sells the whole: "Never make Hinata cry again" thing when you can actually experience it first hand. Everything about the bullying is so visceral, it's kind of hard to watch.

The first movie
is a pretty adequate adaptation. Rei's actor is very good, and they manage to go through the overarching plot beats in a reasonably good way. That boy's got a weird haircut, though. It looks like it would require a lot of maintenance. Apparently he even gets his hair done during fits of crippling depression. :v:

Something that actually bothers me is that the Kawamotos are not focused on enough. Their introductory scene is really great, but then the Shogi starts taking up all the runtime, and I don't care about that aspect nearly as much.

Especially egregious is that they didn't manage to include this scene:

:colbert:

The second movie
(which covers all of the manga and more) is a bit unpleasant, though. The way it's framed makes it really obvious what a weirdo Rei is. In the manga, they kind of deal with the whole love confession thing in a calm manner, and still let Rei hang out and stuff. Here, it all happens so quickly that he seems pretty unhinged, and appropriately gets told to gently caress off. It doesn't help that he simply goes insane during that final Shogi match.

Something I'm curious about : Did they change the resolution of the father storyline deliberately or was that arc simply not finished at the time? It kind of feels like the manga could go in a similar direction at some point, since Rei is seriously overprotective. I'm not sure I'd enjoy that, though. Doesn't sound fluffy at all.

And More fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Someone please reboot the teacher.

• Locked thread