Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Barely even any reaction to the siren

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

How long between matches?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
🙅

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Could work as a rec thing like AFL 9s. Which I suppose is the intention.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Broomhead’s name is apt

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
That echoey as gently caress ground commentary is quite grating.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I can’t even pretend to care about this despite Melbourne playing the first ever match

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I watched the Trailblazers beat Golden State by 4 points in Portland tonight that was pretty good

What did you guys do

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
It’s not bad but it definitely isn’t good

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Is that three tackles now?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Yeah I don't care whether Adelaide win

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

hiddenmovement posted:

I watched the Trailblazers beat Golden State by 4 points in Portland tonight that was pretty good

What did you guys do

I'm about to head down and have a roll up before playing 11 ends.

The excitement level from the commentary box is on the floor, and it's being occupied by by BT and JB. :fork:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Basketball footy

I just want watch some of the young Freo guys run around.

It's not terrible, but not overly interesting.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

hiddenmovement posted:

What did you guys do

I posted a bit and then had too much to eat for dinner

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
BT subtly flagging the possibility of teams intentionally losing so they only have to play 2 games instead of 3

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Curtley Hampton played OK so that's nice. Not gonna bother watching the rest.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

If nothing else, comparing this to the aflw dispels the idea that higher scores mean a more interesting game

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

"an absolute party atmosphere'

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

gay picnic defence posted:

"an absolute party atmosphere'

Valium is considered a party by some, I guess.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Haven’t seen a crowd this alive since heavens gate

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

This really feels like something out of the late 90's to mid 2000's

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Testekill posted:

This really feels like something out of the late 90's to mid 2000's

Yeah it's got a kind of lame, slam ball vibe to it

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

The Deadly Hume posted:

Could work as a rec thing like AFL 9s. Which I suppose is the intention.

Someone elsewhere said if you replaced the goal posts with jumpers on the ground this is 100% what you would see down at the park or at a school.

Not much tacking because who wants to get sore/dirty and a bunch of kicking the ball around.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ok I’m out this is too boring. I’ll proabably watch tomorrow just to see the young hawks but... snore.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Lol they're going to change the footy over to the yellow version. Who knew a graphite coloured ball was a bad idea???

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
This is so poo poo. Commentators have given up even trying to talk about the match and are just fellating the fact this is GREAT for internationals because the ground.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

snake leaver

realbez posted:

This isn't very good.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I gave up after Freo played

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Hey, at least it isn't running opposite any AFLW games

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Robodog posted:

This is so poo poo. Commentators have given up even trying to talk about the match and are just fellating the fact this is GREAT for internationals because the ground.

They even suggested that it could become some BBL style franchise thingy

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

gay picnic defence posted:

They even suggested that it could become some BBL style franchise thingy

IPL to be more precise; you know, literally one of the most watched leagues in the world

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

This is hot trash. What dickhead thought that ripping the fast running and long range skill out of AFL would make an attractive product.

Know what a good sport is? AFL. Export that. Or don't. I don't care. People can watch anything from anywhere these days. Just please don't make me watch this because i stupidly will. Also ovals aren't some rare and unique thing cmon...

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

masterpine posted:

This is hot trash. What dickhead thought that ripping the fast running and long range skill out of AFL would make an attractive product.

Know what a good sport is? AFL. Export that. Or don't. I don't care. People can watch anything from anywhere these days. Just please don't make me watch this because i stupidly will. Also ovals aren't some rare and unique thing cmon...

From everything that I've gathered from Americans watching the AFL, there's two things that they love; fantastic skills and tough hits. The skills are what you'd expect from professionals playing on a small field but there's no physicality.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
To float some ideas that are a bit far-fetched, but I guess no more far-fetched than the idea of playing rules on a soccer pitch:

If they wanted to make it more "serious" and have a single premier at the end of it, this is one thing they could do to sort of make it along the lines of rugby sevens tournaments:

Add two invitational teams to make it up to 20 - since the squads are so small you could possibly have scratch teams from what's left. Make one Indigenous and then have the second, I dunno, Tasmanians or something.

4 pools of 5 teams. Each team would play four games then, so each pool would need 10 games to sort those out, or 40 games all up. It's something where you could split each pool's games at one venue, like they're sort of doing anyway, and you could knock over 10 games in a late afternoon/evening. Incidentally this means each club gets 80 minutes playing time.

If you wanted to show every game on TV (with no concurrency) you'd probably have to run this over 4 days, so it's awkward.

Obviously, then you could take the top two from each pool and bring the final eight to one venue and have the knockout rounds in a single evening. 7 games, so you might make the playing times a bit longer.

Just one thought. I cannot see it happening myself but I do kind of like having a pre-season premiership that we haven't had for a while, even if it is bullshit mickey-mouse games on square pitches.

18 clubs is a bit tougher to break down but then we'd get the AFL's favourite thing, the half-arsed compromise!

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

And we have the big presentation up next

woo?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Im not sure what you people are whinging about. It looks like a fun local sports comp game WHICH IS WHAT ITS DESIGNED TO BE.

Bigfooty is leaking again.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Nutsngum posted:

Im not sure what you people are whinging about. It looks like a fun local sports comp game WHICH IS WHAT ITS DESIGNED TO BE.

Except Gil was on before talking about how the lack of suitable grounds overseas is a key impediment to sending AFL overseas. The fact that it may be a fun little game to play with your mates on the weekend is not the key aim of this. The AFL clearly wants a game it can use to market footy overseas and thinks it needs to radically change to the game to do that.

However, I think most people have pretty quickly recognised that attacking footy is only exciting if you have to work for it. AFLX shifts the atk/def dial way too far in one direction and as such comes out as pretty one dimensional and bland. OF course I turned it off half way through so I'm not going off the biggest sample size, but I'll watch the Saints tomorrow night and reassess.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Nutsngum posted:

All I can say is that at least AFLW isn't boring as sin to watch. Knock it for the skills but the women are going all out and actually contesting the football

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

AFLX is revealing that deep down you all crave Lyonball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Spedman posted:

AFLX is revealing that deep down you all crave Lyonball.

Let's not get crazy here