Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

The Contenders

PM Paolo Gentiloni/Matteo Renzi: Partito Democratico (Democratic Party) (in coalition)

Renzi resigned as PM in 2017, because he wasn't able to pass a referendum which would have made himself and the Italian Senate more powerful in proportion to the Chamber of Deputies. He's a wannabe Macron who is trying to mount a comeback; his labor reforms have limited the rights of workers to strike and his education reforms were broadly unpopular among students and teachers. Gentiloni is the current PM, also in PD, and considered to be the most likely anti-populist guarantor of Italy's political stability in the event that it becomes hard to form a government. Paolo!

Pros: Not Nazis, would kill baby hitler
Cons: Neoliberal democrats (literally) with lotsa succ to go around

Pietro Grasso: Liberi e Uguali (Free and Equal)

Walter White/Bush Jr's lovechild is a traitorous splitter from Renzi's dems, and supports actual left-wing policies. The LeU is also super anti-mafia. Sadly, they're only polling between 5-6%.

Pros: Sells meth
Cons: Arguably have undermined the Dems enough that it's made a far-right coalition more plausible

Luigi Di Maio: Movimento 5 Stelle (Five Star Movement)

Enigmatic comedian-led party with a platform that's all over the place, M5S defies categorization and common sense. Anti-EU. Likely to be the biggest party in parliament, but they refuse to join coalitions with anyone.

Pros: In favor of direct "e-democracy," environmentalist, gay (so what), isolationist foreign policy, anti-"growth" economics. Led by a millennial video game character
Cons: Extremely xenophobic, anti-vaccine, corrupt despite pretenses of being anti-corruption

Silvio Berlusconi: Forza Italia

He's back, but also barred from running due to corruption??? He's decided to be the face of Forza Italia this year, but it's unknown who would be PM in the event that they lead a coalition government. A proto-Nazi/Nazi/Southern Nazi coalition between them and Northern League/Brothers of Italy is currently the most likely coalition, despite FI being pro-EU. Has pledged to deport 600,000 immigrants. Pedophile, convicted of tax fraud, and authoritarian. SILVIO :sadcoke:

Pros: lol nothing matters

Matteo Salvini: (formerly)Lega Nord (Northern League)/(now)Salvini Premier

Why the name change? LN has traditionally been an elitist Northern Italy party, but Salvini sees where the wind is blowing and has made hating the browns LN's priority above hating Neapolitans and Sicilians, and surprise surprise, they're the fastest rising party in the country and a strong candidate to be a major force in a right-wing coalition government. Euroskeptic.

Pros: Still secretly hate other Italians
Cons: Nazis

Giorgia Meloni: Fratelli d'Italia (Brothers of Italy)

Aspiring Southern-Italian fascists, FdI is causing LN to court Southerners for the first time, as a right-wing coalition is in the cards. Polling at roughly 5%. Rachele Mussolini, Benito's granddaughter, is a major force in the party.

Pros: v woke and progressive that they have strong woman leaders
Cons: Nazis, deceptive party name

Yossarian-22 has issued a correction as of 22:18 on Feb 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

i dunno how to format for poo poo

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
I don't know much about Italy but it's pretty cool that 3/6 political parties are fascist.

Heritage not Hate, gang

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

i'll try to post daily polling updates to keep this dead thread alive

Yossarian-22 has issued a correction as of 23:52 on Feb 14, 2018

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.
italy's never gonna be rid of berlusconi, or what?

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Apes-Ma posted:

italy's never gonna be rid of berlusconi, or what?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
how much groping of women will be occurring?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

M5S has got to be one of the strangest political parties I've ever heard of. What a grab bag of positions. My guess is that they're just a way to channel "they're all crooks!" populist sentiment, but they'd implode the second they took office. If anyone is better informed about them, I'd be interested to hear.

Also just lmao that Berlusconi is still alive, let alone still active politically.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
wow i cant believe italy allowed a madame tussauds wax sculpture to run for office

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

M5S has got to be one of the strangest political parties I've ever heard of. What a grab bag of positions. My guess is that they're just a way to channel "they're all crooks!" populist sentiment, but they'd implode the second they took office. If anyone is better informed about them, I'd be interested to hear.

Also just lmao that Berlusconi is still alive, let alone still active politically.

they won the mayoralty in rome and it's been a total shitshow so you are correct

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Isn't Mussolini's daughter an actual feminist fascist? And what happened to the PCI? I

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the funniest thing is that berlusconi, the ur-trump, is running as a moderating political figure against the neo-fascist forces he helped create

watching italy from afar is is cool because it's a preview of what the american political system is going to be like in ten years

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
can i post italo-disco ITT?

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
you dont see romanovs running around doing politics in russia, just sayin'

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

you dont see romanovs running around doing politics in russia, just sayin'

the house of savoy has been banished from italy and had their wealth confiscated dude

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

It's probably in the top 5 of strangest mainstream political parties of all time

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Also any southern Italian that votes for the fascists is a traitor to the memory of their Homeland

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

also is being in favor of direct democracy via online really a pro

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hope the imgur favstar party wins

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

also is being in favor of direct democracy via online really a pro

Hasn't their stuff been super dodgy

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Also thank you op for making the thread :)

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Lawman 0 posted:

Hasn't their stuff been super dodgy

I’m not Italian or anything but I’m inherently suspicious of any political party whose main driving ideology seems to be that political parties are the real problem with politics

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

I’m not Italian or anything but I’m inherently suspicious of any political party whose main driving ideology seems to be that political parties are the real problem with politics

I wonder who else had that opinion :thunk:

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
dictatorship of the steam reviews

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The seem like the fun italian style of stupid

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

A very normal looking 81 year old man.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

He's hypernormal.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

still somehow less disgusting to look at than trump

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

is this a screenshot from robot chicken

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

get that OUT of my face posted:

the funniest thing is that berlusconi, the ur-trump, is running as a moderating political figure against the neo-fascist forces he helped create

yes and no

FI is currently polling slightly ahead of salvini's party, but the two have served in berlusconi's coalitions before and are friendly with one another. berlusconi has said that an fi-led coalition would only reduce eu payments rather than leave the eu altogether, which is salvini's position

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Yossarian-22 posted:

yes and no

FI is currently polling slightly ahead of salvini's party, but the two have served in berlusconi's coalitions before and are friendly with one another. berlusconi has said that an fi-led coalition would only reduce eu payments rather than leave the eu altogether, which is salvini's position
lol gently caress

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

trying to think of whats a funnier hellworld result, putting berlusconi back in power or Italy making another Mussolini its leader

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

trying to think of whats a funnier hellworld result, putting berlusconi back in power or Italy making another Mussolini its leader

Why not both?

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I can't say no to this face

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

rudatron posted:

dictatorship of the steam reviews

*Italy devolves into anarchy as Chinese malware floods the government*

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

the bitcoin of weed posted:

I can't say no to this face

What about, "noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo"

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
TL;DR but rushing in to post: pray for us

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hackbunny posted:

TL;DR but rushing in to post: pray for us

You are in my thoughts and prayers Italy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
OK, so my plan to completely ignore the news and TV has worked, because I had no loving idea who the PM was outside of the name. I literally had never seen his face before this thread. I planned to naively read the programs of each party, and vote based on that, willingly ignoring the subtext. Thanks to C-SPAM, I guess that will not happen

• Locked thread