Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

DoctorWhat posted:

Or - or maybe, you were me

Or maybe... it doesn’t matter either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
"I've been put on trial by the high council of the Time Lords for committing a terrible crime."

"Oh God."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"I always rather fancied Davros you know...." :lol:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEGaHn8NIg4

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

"Have you been in the pub?"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

All that led me to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtYiOQ5NquQ

:aaaaa:

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

The Master: Hey, who the hell took my fluid link? My fluid link was right here. *slamming fists on console* THIS STINKS!! THIS IS TOTAL BS!! THI- oh, here it is.

"Who's our next caller, River?"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well yeah of course that happened, that's... wait, WHAT!?!

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I've been thinking about ordering some classic Who DVDs since it's been a few years since I last really got any and was first thinking I'd fill out what I didn't have of the first couple of Pertwee seasons, but then I kinda figured that for around the same amount I could finish off what I didn't have of C. Bakes and Sly and cross them off as complete alongside Bill and the Trought. Except, well, it's kind of a cursed basket...

I'm personally kinda fond of Greatest Show in the Galaxy at least, I guess, and some people tend to like Ghost Light...? :shrug:

(and yes I need to have them all, even absolute guff like Twin Dilemma and Time and the Rani. No, I don't really know why. I guess just because having the whole* show, warts and all, would be nice. I'm more picky when it comes to Big Finish and tend to cross check a few reviewers to tend to avoid the bad stuff there

*I have the narrated soundtracks of the stories that otherwise only exist in Mugabe's vault)

e: The more obvious solution, that for some reason completely eluded me until just now: get the Colin stuff, and fill out the first Pertwee season. Then, later on, I can fill out the second Pertwee season while getting the McCoy stuff and move on from there. Much more balanced that way

(TWANG!)

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Feb 15, 2018

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Greatest Show had an Obama lookalike rap about the circus.

You can't beat that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gaznck2xW-g

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

TinTower posted:

Greatest Show had an Obama lookalike rap about the circus.

You can't beat that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gaznck2xW-g

Greatest Show is such a weird, brilliant mish mash. There's a galactic circus but also Old Gods and killer robots and then a cool werewolf girl that should have been a new companion and...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm just glad I never knew until years after I watched it that it was all supposed to be a meta-narrative on the show, it's fans, the BBC, Mary Whitehouse and even elements of Star Trek. I had fun with it and McCoy belittling the Old Gods and tearing them down was good.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Box of Bunnies posted:

Greatest Show is such a weird, brilliant mish mash. There's a galactic circus but also Old Gods and killer robots and then a cool werewolf girl that should have been a new companion and...

Isn't this the explosion where his costume caught fire, but he kept going because he knew they wouldn't be able to do another take?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Wait, people don't like Ghost Light? Whaaa

(On that list, I also love Greatest Show, and Paradise Towers has a really tight script attached to a poor production.)

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I see you already must have Vengence on Varos..

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Cleretic posted:

Isn't this the explosion where his costume caught fire, but he kept going because he knew they wouldn't be able to do another take?

I thought the issue was that the explosion was much larger than they expected

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Wait, people don't like Ghost Light? Whaaa

(On that list, I also love Greatest Show, and Paradise Towers has a really tight script attached to a poor production.)

I remember Ghost Light to be an incomprehensible mess that seemed like it was trying to cash in on the Rocky Horror craze but I haven’t watched it in years so maybe I’m misremembering.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

I remember Ghost Light to be an incomprehensible mess that seemed like it was trying to cash in on the Rocky Horror craze but I haven’t watched it in years so maybe I’m misremembering.

It's definitely an incomprehensible mess, but if you can start to get it, there's a good story going on underneath all the confusion.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Cleretic posted:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I thought the issue was that the explosion was much larger than they expected

No. The plan was to use an air cannon to simulate the explosion and dub in the sound fx in post. Then there was a problem with the air cannon, so the fx team said "Hey, we could just do a real explosion instead." "Great," said the production team. "It's a go."

Except no one remembered to tell Syl about the change. He was completely unaware that a real explosion was going to happen. But he just rolled with it anyway.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

health n safety in the 80s

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You know, I'm not the biggest fan of River Song but her rant about the Doctor in Husbands is really great.

TWO HEARTS, STUPID CLOTHES

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Weird loving thing I was wondering about on the drive to work today:

Like, Seven obviously died in San Francisco 1999.

Eight died on Karn but what year???

Nine died on the TARDIS in the year 200,100.

Etc. etc. Is there a chronological list of all the time periods and places the The Doctor has died and regenerated at/in?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

Etc. etc. Is there a chronological list of all the time periods and places the The Doctor has died and regenerated at/in?

The First Doctor died in the 1980s, or some alternate version of them in which we were being invaded by Cybermen.

The Second Doctor died in Gallifrey's era (no one knows when that is).

The Third Doctor died during the UNIT dating controversy.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The Fourth Doctor regenerated on the 28th February 1981

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

Harvested from episode summaries and such because I will do anything to avoid work for a bit:

One: Antarctica, 1986

Two: Somewhere between Gallifrey and Earth if I'm interpreting the end of The War Games properly

Three: England, sometime in the 70s 80s THE UNIT YEARS

Four: The Pharos Project, 1981

Five: In the TARDIS on his way away from Androzani Minor sometime in the 51st century

Six: In the TARDIS, en route to Lakertya, er, sometime

Seven: San Francisco, 1999

Eight: Karn, time probably barely even existed at this point frankly

War: The TARDIS, last day of the Time War

Nine: The TARDIS departing the Gamestation in 200,100

Ten: London, 2009 and the TARDIS, departing Earth in 2010.

Eleven: The TARDIS, Trenzalore, I don't think a year is ever given

Twelve; Antarctica, 1986

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I think the Papal Mainframe is a 51st Century thing, and the Doctor being on Trenzalore for roughly 800 years ("twelve hundred and something" the episode before, "over two thousand" the episode after) means it was probably around the year 5800/5900 when he regenerated. Let's do what Moffat would do and say 6000 because it sounds cool

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Astroman posted:

I see you already must have Vengence on Varos..

Yes, the one that has extra features! EVEN MORE OF COLIN!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Still waiting for the English-speaking world to catch up with the Germans on season box sets of the classic series!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

It's definitely an incomprehensible mess, but if you can start to get it, there's a good story going on underneath all the confusion.

Yeah, there is a ton of interesting stuff in there but it's absolutely jam-packed even without all the stuff they cut (and only exists in the original recording footage with the timecodes burnt in, from memory?) which makes it a bit of a mess.

I'd still classify it as an extremely good story though, and one of 7's better ones.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ghost Light is a very good story, the downside is that it can take a couple of viewings to piece everything together. It’s very densely packed, and there’s not a wasted moment (indeed, it could honestly use a little more room to breathe).

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Got to give props to the original cybermen for killing two doctors on the same mission.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

docbeard posted:

Harvested from episode summaries and such because I will do anything to avoid work for a bit:

One: Antarctica, 1986

Two: Somewhere between Gallifrey and Earth if I'm interpreting the end of The War Games properly

Three: England, sometime in the 70s 80s THE UNIT YEARS

Four: The Pharos Project, 1981

Five: In the TARDIS on his way away from Androzani Minor sometime in the 51st century

Six: In the TARDIS, en route to Lakertya, er, sometime

Seven: San Francisco, 1999

Eight: Karn, time probably barely even existed at this point frankly

War: The TARDIS, last day of the Time War

Nine: The TARDIS departing the Gamestation in 200,100

Ten: London, 2009 and the TARDIS, departing Earth in 2010.

Eleven: The TARDIS, Trenzalore, I don't think a year is ever given

Twelve; Antarctica, 1986

This is cool, thanks for doing the legwork.

So the earliest The Doctor has ever died was '81 and during his Fourth incarnation and before One even regenerated, which happened at the same general time as Twelve!

Barring the deaths of Eight and War because I guess the Time War took place all across Time and Space or whatever.

Also interesting that he's regenerated more times in his TARDIS than anywhere else. I guess if you're going to do it, you might as well do it somewhere safe.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Rirse posted:

Got to give props to the original cybermen for killing two doctors on the same mission.

If they were going to do that, maybe they actually should have had the finale of the season set on Mondas and actually led up to the Christmas special rather than having a parallel but separate Cyberman story?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

docbeard posted:

Twelve; Antarctica, 1986

Surely Ypres, Christmas Day 1914?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

To be to honest I'd give the War Doctor's regeneration to the 23rd of November 2013. He was in the Present Day right before regenerating, and while the date wasn't established in the episode itself, Moffat likes to have the date in the adventure match the date of broadcast

remusclaw posted:

If they were going to do that, maybe they actually should have had the finale of the season set on Mondas and actually led up to the Christmas special rather than having a parallel but separate Cyberman story?

"They" weren't going to do that.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Ghost Light is amazing, especially the first time when you have no idea what the hell’s going on.

Every McCoy serial is good, even the bad ones

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

misadventurous posted:

Every McCoy serial is good, even the bad ones
especially Battlefield

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Those two Tom Baker calls were brilliant, and exactly what my cold, dead heart needed after the last few days. Thank you.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Battlefield is great. The only bad McCoys are Silver Nemesis and Time and the Rani.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I like Battlefield. It's just a gigantic disorganized pile of gobbledycook, but the Brig is amazing, and so are the scenes in which the doctor is getting pissed off at his future self.

• Locked thread