Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Natural 20 posted:

Is there any way to stop everyone screaming attack names? Like I use 4 over Tora because she's just quieter.

As an aside, 4 managed to draw evil dark samurai and frost justice man as her two tank blades? Worthwhile on her or should I aim to pull more stuff? I think I'm about to get 5 soon.

Someone mentioned earlier that Evil Dark Samurai is actually not good on her (I initially thought it would be)

Personally I use Evil Dark Samurai anyway because he has smash. So between her default blade and one with topple, she can do everything but Launch. I tend to control her as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Natural 20 posted:

Is there any way to stop everyone screaming attack names? Like I use 4 over Tora because she's just quieter.

As an aside, 4 managed to draw evil dark samurai and frost justice man as her two tank blades? Worthwhile on her or should I aim to pull more stuff? I think I'm about to get 5 soon.

Tora was benched ever since I got 4 because I could not stand his incessant "Meh! Meh meh meh!" during combat.

I used Percival and Godfrey on 4 as well because they were the first tank blades I got on her. Godfrey however is poo poo, despite giving topple. Percival is situationally useful but I ended up using story blade, second story blade (Aegaeon), and Kassandra (or sometimes Finch) because they just worked a lot better.

ssb fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 12, 2018

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Momomo posted:

I don't think they have to keep "eating" people to stay young, otherwise that would mean Nia was chomping down on guys up until the start of the game.

Nia's not really that old, though.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Supremezero posted:

Nia's not really that old, though.

Either way I don't recall anything about Jin continuing to eat people, was that touched on? I thought the whole thing was handwaved when Cole explained that not all were successes. That was so many hours ago and mostly I just hunt mons the last couple weeks so it's getting hazy

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

They don't have to keep eating people. Cole was aging because his etherflow was corrupted by the same thing that was killing the titans. Jin and the others didn't have that problem because of Malos.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

IcePhoenix posted:

They don't have to keep eating people. Cole was aging because his etherflow was corrupted by the same thing that was killing the titans. Jin and the others didn't have that problem because of Malos.

Ah, I thought that he was aging because he just wasn't doing what they were doing and all I could infer from that was eating people. Since they were trying to recruit him by telling him they could cure him.
I feel a bit like Cole is one of those half arsed things because they never mention him from the past at all.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Someone mentioned earlier that Evil Dark Samurai is actually not good on her (I initially thought it would be)

Personally I use Evil Dark Samurai anyway because he has smash. So between her default blade and one with topple, she can do everything but Launch. I tend to control her as well.

Evil Dark Samurai is an agility tank with a decent moveset so I don't know why he wouldn't be good. I guess he's kind of redundant because she gets another agility Katana automatically?

Barudak posted:

It gets so much worse in a chapter or two, culminating in chapter 10 where youll be hard pressed to remember how the game works by the end of it all

Taear posted:

It honestly gets worse.

Can't wait! :v:

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 12, 2018

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Taear posted:

Ah, I thought that he was aging because he just wasn't doing what they were doing and all I could infer from that was eating people. Since they were trying to recruit him by telling him they could cure him.
I feel a bit like Cole is one of those half arsed things because they never mention him from the past at all.

It's another one of those moments where it comes up once and then is pretty much never spoken about again, I think, despite feeling like it should probably be more important.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

It's another one of those moments where it comes up once and then is pretty much never spoken about again, I think, despite feeling like it should probably be more important.

He does have a quest to "cure" him that involves the stuff around Vampire Bride Marion. I only know because I picked those items up and had to google them because I was baffled as to what they might be. That quest gives absolutely no more information about him whatsoever which I was really disappointed by.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Taear posted:

He does have a quest to "cure" him that involves the stuff around Vampire Bride Marion. I only know because I picked those items up and had to google them because I was baffled as to what they might be. That quest gives absolutely no more information about him whatsoever which I was really disappointed by.

Oh right, I remember getting that quest like 40 hours after I had already gotten those items and wondering what they were for :v:

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The sheer number of cutscenes at the end of the game got so bad that I started skipping them when I got too bored. I wasn't really invested in the story at all, granted. But this also included the cutscenes after you beat the final boss, so I have no idea how the game ends and am not even gonna bother to look it up. But I still went on to play for another 20 hours after that......

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Suspicious Cook posted:

I finally beat the game and I really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to whomping bonus bosses and tackling NG+.

That final boss, though, it sure was poorly conceived and not great. Having a final boss that can decide to just not be in range for however long it likes is about as bad as the audio balancing during cutscenes.

You can still hit him when he backs up, if you walk to the closer parts of the platform.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

The sheer number of cutscenes at the end of the game got so bad that I started skipping them when I got too bored. I wasn't really invested in the story at all, granted. But this also included the cutscenes after you beat the final boss, so I have no idea how the game ends and am not even gonna bother to look it up. But I still went on to play for another 20 hours after that......

That's weird, it feels a waste of time even playing the game at that point to me.
Granted I was zoned out for some of the story but the only stuff I skipped was the second half of Dahlia's personal quest.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Taear posted:

the only stuff I skipped was the second half of Dahlia's personal quest.

The only way you could have done yourself more of a favor would have been skipping it entirely and also probably skipping Godfrey's quest.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

shortspecialbus posted:

The only way you could have done yourself more of a favor would have been skipping it entirely and also probably skipping Godfrey's quest.

She was the second or third blade I unlocked and I was tired of having her trees all locked off even though I used her on Nia absolutely constantly.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Taear posted:

That's weird, it feels a waste of time even playing the game at that point to me.
Granted I was zoned out for some of the story but the only stuff I skipped was the second half of Dahlia's personal quest.

The game has a fair amount of content locked behind beating the final boss, so in terms of the things I cared about in the game, finishing the story didn't even feel like an important milestone in the experience, just the final hurdle I needed to get over to begin tackling the things I actually cared about which was the postgame superbosses

Besides, by that point in the game, anything interesting in the story had long since been resolved and I was getting bored to tears over the game stumbling over itself to try and keep the story going seemingly just for the sake of it. Trying to make me care about Torna only after they've already been killed by someone who isn't me definitely felt like a lot like it was tacked on as the game's deadline was approaching. Trying to pass off the two characters as siblings when they'd never before even spoken to each other in the game was borderline ridiculous.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Besides, by that point in the game, anything interesting in the story had long since been resolved and I was getting bored to tears over the game stumbling over itself to try and keep the story going seemingly just for the sake of it. Trying to make me care about Torna only after they've already been killed by someone who isn't me definitely felt like a lot like it was tacked on as the game's deadline was approaching. Trying to pass off the two characters as siblings when they'd never before even spoken to each other in the game was borderline ridiculous.

I'm going to say the most exciting part of the game for me was reaching and seeing Elysium and the Architect. And that I absolutely didn't give a poo poo about Torna because their storyline was mostly stupid and really loving trite anime. I don't know who you're talking about when you say about them being siblings that never spoke in the game.

You are absolutely missing out not watching the ending.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Taear posted:

I'm going to say the most exciting part of the game for me was reaching and seeing Elysium and the Architect. And that I absolutely didn't give a poo poo about Torna because their storyline was mostly stupid and really loving trite anime. I don't know who you're talking about when you say about them being siblings that never spoke in the game.

You are absolutely missing out not watching the ending.

He probably means Akhos and the Torna girl, who aren't even really siblings because they're blades, but Akhos pretends they are because ?????

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Are blades not allowed to have families? Maybe Jin was right.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

chumbler posted:

Are blades not allowed to have families? Maybe Jin was right.

They talk about how in the past, especially in Torna the continent, blades and humans would sometimes marry. So they could have families, but not offspring. There are no child blades that grow into adults. They pop into existence as they always are, until at some point their lifecycle turns them into a titan somehow.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Do salvage points have their own unique QTE inputs? I didn't put this together until last night and thought it was either random or specific to the type of cylinder used.

This fuckin game, man.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Louisgod posted:

Do salvage points have their own unique QTE inputs? I didn't put this together until last night and thought it was either random or specific to the type of cylinder used.

This fuckin game, man.

Yes, each salvage point has a unique input (it may be shared with other ones though.) There are some salvage points that have a random input each time which is really annoying.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Louisgod posted:

This fuckin game, man.

It took me forever to realize that too. Every spot has a set input with the exception of one spot per continent which is randomized. Usually though, if a salvage spot is in a disproportionately high-level area it wont be randomized so if you can sneak there it's a good spot to get rich.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

shortspecialbus posted:

They talk about how in the past, especially in Torna the continent, blades and humans would sometimes marry. So they could have families, but not offspring. There are no child blades that grow into adults. They pop into existence as they always are, until at some point their lifecycle turns them into a titan somehow.

They considered themselves siblings because their drivers were siblings. I don't think them not having childhoods somehow means they can't consider other people family.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

It took me forever to realize that too. Every spot has a set input with the exception of one spot per continent which is randomized. Usually though, if a salvage spot is in a disproportionately high-level area it wont be randomized so if you can sneak there it's a good spot to get rich.

I wonder how much difference there is between spots? Because it never feels like there's a lot, regardless of where you are.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Natural 20 posted:

You can adjust the volume of combat voiceover independently of cutscene and UI voices, iirc. It's good when you just want the music.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
So different weapons have different attack speeds? Great axes feel like they take forever to activate.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Different weapons have different speeds, and different characters have different movesets I.E. Rex's axe is different than Nia.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Testing it out a bit, yeah. Nia's greataxe speed is awful compared to my other dudes. Sucks because I already have two greataxe rare blades for her, Zenobia and Agate.

Is there a chart somewhere with attack speed information?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Man it feels like Zeke doesn't really do anything in game. It feels like he's meant to be an attacker but Mythra is so amazingly ridiculous that he's never going to take Rex's spot.

Also is there any fast way of unlocking dead core crystals? I just went and cleared up some sidequests I've missed and have a bunch sat unusable in my bags.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Yeah, he's an attacker. If you want to use Zeke then... do it? :shrug: Kick Rex off your team. Go on, try it. He isn't required to beat anything in the game. I've beaten the hardest superbosses without him or Tora and I wouldn't say I'm even particularly good at the game.

I got bored of Rex around when they introduced his third... fourth? I lost count... super attack/mode/whatever that only he can do. That's boring. Rex, BENCH.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Natural 20 posted:

Man it feels like Zeke doesn't really do anything in game. It feels like he's meant to be an attacker but Mythra is so amazingly ridiculous that he's never going to take Rex's spot.

Rex + Zeke + Tank, with a healing blade on Rex can work

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Was sort of hoping the NG+ patch would have hit by now.

I have work for the next 5 days, so it would have been nice to get it while I had free time.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Silver Falcon posted:

Yeah, he's an attacker. If you want to use Zeke then... do it? :shrug: Kick Rex off your team. Go on, try it. He isn't required to beat anything in the game. I've beaten the hardest superbosses without him or Tora and I wouldn't say I'm even particularly good at the game.

I got bored of Rex around when they introduced his third... fourth? I lost count... super attack/mode/whatever that only he can do. That's boring. Rex, BENCH.

I mean I like using Rex because I equip Mythra, scream "Enjoy the blender," and spin around like I'm Juggernaut in Dota. It's more that I think the game is begging for a fourth active combat character. Dedicated Tank/Dedicated Healer/Dedicated DPS is both very strong and very simple to build around and mechanically Rex is far and away the best DPS, Nia is your only healer, so your only real choice is on Tank and I suspect that won't be one when the final version of Poppi unlocks.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Natural 20 posted:

when the final version of Poppi unlocks.

Just so you know, the final version of Poppi is a sidequest that you get from going back to Tora's house in chapter 8 and talking to someone. I'm not sure the game ever tells you this is the case, they're probably just expecting you to be going back for Tiger Tiger every now and then.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

IcePhoenix posted:

Just so you know, the final version of Poppi is a sidequest that you get from going back to Tora's house in chapter 8 and talking to someone. I'm not sure the game ever tells you this is the case, they're probably just expecting you to be going back for Tiger Tiger every now and then.

Yeah at some point I'm heading back when the ether I get from Tiger Tiger is good so I can unlock the Dark core.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

I mean I like using Rex because I equip Mythra, scream "Enjoy the blender," and spin around like I'm Juggernaut in Dota. It's more that I think the game is begging for a fourth active combat character. Dedicated Tank/Dedicated Healer/Dedicated DPS is both very strong and very simple to build around and mechanically Rex is far and away the best DPS, Nia is your only healer, so your only real choice is on Tank and I suspect that won't be one when the final version of Poppi unlocks.

How could anyone play a game with this many options and only stick with the most boring ones

I'd understand if the game actually required good party setups from you to survive, but it really really doesn't

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Saw this on reddit and had a good laugh (chapter 7 spoilers)

Amppelix posted:

How could anyone play a game with this many options and only stick with the most boring ones

I'd understand if the game actually required good party setups from you to survive, but it really really doesn't

With the game allowing you to de-level yourself (which is an awesome game design, seriously) I could definitely see myself playing through the game again with a completely different setup in new game +

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 15, 2018

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Natural 20 posted:

If you enjoy using Mythra, that's fair. I got bored with it after awhile. You can also turn Zeke into a human blender, or a ranged DPS machine if you give him Ether Cannons I guess? I stuck to melee for him. Zenobia is a beast and just as much fun to use as Mythra, imo.

My favorite character to control for most of the game was Nia, though. :3: I love the angry Welsh cat woman. My tank of choice is the 4th character because I hate Tiger Tiger and I'm also horrible at it, so Tora got benched shortly after I got the 3rd Poppi. A shame, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

The only reason I play Rex over zeke is that he can use any blade so I don't have to worry about overdrive when it comes to attack blades