Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

So I've been stuck reloading and trying to pick this very easy lock for hours and from what I can tell it's the only way to get out of the castle... is the lock picking system loving broken with a controller? I binged this game until 3am last night and loved it but I've sent literally my entire play session tonight failing to pick a lock

Edit: like my lock picks break while the cursor is gold and I'm not trying to turn the tumbler what the gently caress is this poo poo.

Edit2: using my Bluetooth keyboard to hit D while using the analog stick to stay in the sweet spot instead of trying to rotate the tumbler with the other analog stick made things easy as pie. Lock picking with the controller is completely broken

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Maybe there's a bug with the lockpicking or something. There isn't that much technique to it and it is pretty simple and yet sometimes the drat lockpick just insta breaks over and over. I installed the lockpick mod on nexus and I'm happy to be playing the game without bothering with the minigame anymore. I'll turn it back on whenever that patch comes out and anyone getting frustrated should just do that too.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Lockpicking's not been too difficult for me, although I'm on PC and I'm not getting any instantly breaking picks. I'm loving nightmarishly bad at sword combat though

Regular Dude
Oct 17, 2008

Jarmak posted:

So I've been stuck reloading and trying to pick this very easy lock for hours and from what I can tell it's the only way to get out of the castle...

For anyone else who is having trouble with this, there is another way out of the castle. If you jump off the bridge and make a run for it, you can make it back to your village. Make sure to jump onto the logs leaning up against the bridge or else you'll damage you feet/legs.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Regular Dude posted:

For anyone else who is having trouble with this, there is another way out of the castle. If you jump off the bridge and make a run for it, you can make it back to your village. Make sure to jump onto the logs leaning up against the bridge or else you'll damage you feet/legs.

Or use your horse

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
I like the idea of going for a no magic medieval Skyrim, it's a nice change but the combat looks atrocious.

Firstborn posted:

Here's a good example of a common encounter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzYflCYk590

:laffo:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The combat actually isn't that bad if you learn the advanced techniques for getting around blocks, but those techniques are damned hard to pull off, requiring some pretty frame-perfect timing.

Still don't know how to do combos -_-

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Lock picking becomes so much easier (on console) once you are a level or two in to the skill.

Also, at some point in the main storyline you will probably come across a fairly liberal priest that you will sit down and have drinks with. He will ask you if you want to keep getting hammered or to call it:

Keep Getting Hammered

It's the best quest in the game so far. Probably funnier than the Witcher 3 quest where all the witchers get shitfaced and piss off Yennifer.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Also, if people don't want to use the save mod, here is a spoiler of the recipe for save pots. You always have it, but you can't read it to start. The materials cost six bucks.

pour wine in (wine is at the station), add Nettle, boil for two turns of timer. grind up two Belladona, add in, boil once more. bottle and serve.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

So the fight at the end of Nest of Vipers, where the dude is ridiculously strong...

I died like 8 times.

Then I pulled out my bow and shot him through the eye with an arrow.

GotY.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Firstborn posted:

Also, not an awful idea to set the VA to German but have English subtitles. No Czech, unfortunately.

I'm deffo going to do this, some of the nobles would have spoken German at that point, right?

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Diogines posted:

I'm doing it with a mouse and I honestly don't get the difficulty people are having. Move it, find the center, hold D to move the lock continuously and move the cursor along with it to keep it centered. People are trying to do it slowly? Why?

I'm with you. I don't get it either. I failed the first couple of tries. I didn't know what I was doing and broke both of my picks. Once I realized what I was supposed to do, I had no problem. I don't think I've broken a pick since.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Still don't know how to do combos -_-

One thing I noticed about combos: make sure your weapon type matches the combo you're trying to do :blush:

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
This bearded dude getting stuck into the Friar at the slightest provocation owns

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Is there any way to sleep outside? Ended up at night going cross country and couldn't find a place to sleep as I didn't get lucky with any abandoned campsites.

The brightness at night wasn't as bad as the previews indicated. The game does eye adaptation so if you put out your torch your view is super dark but it brightens up and you can see passably at night after a bit. Enough to navigate a forest at least.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Phlegmish posted:

I'm deffo going to do this, some of the nobles would have spoken German at that point, right?

Which menu do you do this from? I didn’t have the option in-game I think.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Firstborn posted:

Also, not an awful idea to set the VA to German but have English subtitles. No Czech, unfortunately.

The German VO is surprisingly good in this which is very fortunate, due to being the closest to the actual setting. Even though the German they use is from the last century, since no one would even remotely understand the language they spoke in the 1400 (in case someone cares: https://de.wikisource.org/wiki/Absetzung_K%C3%B6nig_Wenzels)

Beefeater1980 posted:

Which menu do you do this from? I didn’t have the option in-game I think.

The language options are under "game setting" (or so), first option in the settings.

haldolium fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Feb 15, 2018

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Czech would have been even better, as I understand the protagonist is some sort of proto-class warrior. I guess it wouldn't have been worth the investment.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Leg day perk in herbalism is probably not worth it unless you're going for the 10000 herbs picked up achievement, you only get one point of xp to strength per pick.

One more haggle offer after going angry perk on the other hand...

75 coins more than the initial offer, I don't think you can come close to that the normal way

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

ZZZorcerer posted:

I like the idea of going for a no magic medieval Skyrim, it's a nice change but the combat looks atrocious.

Yep, and those are lightly armoured and poorly trained bandits. When you're facing anyone remotely skilled, every one of those hits the enemies parried would've been returned to the player as a flurry of blows you have really no chance of blocking.

I mean, the combat is really cool in theory, but either they tested it too much in house with people who had gotten way too good at it through months of practise, or they intentionally made it way too punishing "for realism". And, once again, archery is even worse. The enemy hitboxes are so tiny and the arm shake so pronounced I couldn't reliably hit anything even at ~4 meters even after turning my monitor's built in aiming spot on!

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Feb 15, 2018

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Neurosis posted:

This bearded dude getting stuck into the Friar at the slightest provocation owns

I just saw that cutscene, too. Love that guy! So eloquent, (case in point: that "deep loving poo poo" speech) yet knows how to flatly tell it like it is, when the need arises. Screw Radzig; let me be HIS squire! :D

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
German voices are pretty good. I don't mind Henry or some of the other characters' English voices, but some of them are atrocious. It's not like it's hard to find people with bad English accents anywhere in Europe these days so it's confusing how they found some of these people.

As for high level combat, use an axe or (even better) a mace. You won't be getting through platemail with uncle Hans' rusty hunting sword.

Woohoo
Apr 1, 2008

Sheep posted:

German voices are pretty good. I don't mind Henry or some of the other characters' English voices, but some of them are atrocious. It's not like it's hard to find people with bad English accents anywhere in Europe these days so it's confusing how they found some of these people.

I think it only adds to experience. Peasants didn't speak refined Shakespearean anyway. Angry fucker in a tavern somewhere Bumfuck, Central Europe won't give you pure language. Even today. And accents can be attributed to local dialect.

I'm stuck at Viper's nest and from what I read, only more frustration awaits. Should I grind side quests and arena and try again after few irl days?

Woohoo fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Feb 15, 2018

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

You can really tell with some of the inflections and emphasis in the English voice acting that they were just reading their lines off a sheet in a vacuum and had no clue what the context was meant to be.

Woohoo
Apr 1, 2008
I'm more annoyed by how it sounds rather than how they pronounce. I understand that they can't record speech in open air, but talk in soundproofed studio doesn't feel like talk at the top of battlement overlooking valley. So you have to add howling winds and echo after the fact. The reverb effect in Reeky's cave, for example, sounded so out of place.
Sound engineering falls just flat, is all.

There's an estate in Silver Skalitz that has 4 or 5 bandits on it ever since the prologue (just over the stone bridge) and I've been going back from time to time to try to eliminate them (and getting my rear end whooped). Feels like I'm finally ready to take them on
E: Nevermind, there's at least 6, and 2 are archers. fml. Killed them and there's nothing of value on estate at all. BUT THERE'S LIKE 6K WORTH OF poo poo IN THE CHEST UNDER STONE BRIDGE

Woohoo fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Feb 15, 2018

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

So, I loaded an earlier save in the Stonemason quest, and was pleasantly surprised that I managed to outsmart the murderer by going to the spot of his next victim and talking to the victim there to get his confession about helping the murderer before, then just... walking over and strangling the murderer in his sleep? . I may have missed some way of turning the guy in before he hurts someone again. Like, I tried knocking him out and talking to the local authorities but they arrested me for assault. Also, unless you do this I don't see how you are supposed to figure out that the guy is responsible before he strikes again, so you're essentially required to know the quest's outcome?

Atari teenager
May 29, 2008
Goon opinion :
To me this is the best game I played since Witcher 3! It's right up my alley. I appreciate that for once in a story heavy "atmospheric" RPG there's no monsters and it's focused more on realism.

Need help with :
Anyone figured out how to pick up bandit/cuman ears? I have a dagger in inventory but i never get ears from any kills. I wonder what's wrong.

Atari teenager fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 15, 2018

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Atari teenager posted:

Goon opinion :
To me this is the best game I played since Witcher 3! It's right up my alley. I appreciate that for once in a story heavy "atmospheric" RPG there's no monsters and it's focused more on realism.

Need help with :
Anyone figured out how to pick up bandit/cuman ears? I have a dagger in inventory but i never get ears from any kills. I wonder what's wrong.

Not all bandits seem to have those ears from what I've seen so far.

Woohoo
Apr 1, 2008
I don't think you need dagger at all. I've gotten few with no dagger. I guess some just don't drop them.

Save anywhere mod caused "Game Saved" text to stay on my screen forever. I probably mounted horse or went to sleep before it faded away so it never went away, even after cutscenes or sleeping.
Restarting the game fixed it though.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Admittedly I haven't played much, 3 hours or so. Just got out of the prologue. But I kind of understand the save system being punishing and things like not being able to hold a bow straight at first. It does add an element of consequence to your actions that is vital to really selling this world of being a lovely peasant shoved into the harsh world. In elder scrolls games, I would usually go stealth assassin dude and quicksave every time there was a chance I might be spotted. I would only ever be losing a minute or two at worst.

In this game, I know that I need to make loving sure there isn't somebody in the second floor of this guard tower I'm stealing poo poo from before I pick that lock, because I'm hosed if he hears me. Likewise, I better make sure I have time to pull my sword out if I'm shooting at this guy with a bow, because I'm not guaranteed a headshot every time. I'm more just happy if I hit him at all with my wobbly shots.

I totally get why it isn't for everybody though, and the game is still pretty buggy and clunky in a lot of areas, but it's got a lot of charm to it too. It's trying to do something interesting.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Jeez I know the writing/story in this game isn't spectacular in general but (early game) no video game has ever elicited a level of emotional reaction on the level of the guilt I felt when Theresa saved my life after I ran without helping her.

Jolarix
Feb 28, 2004
Your reading skill has increased by +1 point(s).
I asked Pashek to help me practice Pickpocketing, but I somehow I actually pickpocketed him while training, causing him and Theresa to run and scream "thief!"

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I had to do unholy things to make this run on my rig without freezing for a second or 2 every few minutes. I still got one freeze in an hour of playing since, but that's acceptable to me. Everything is on low, every distance is turned to 0, motion blur off, resolution is 1280x720, and I capped the FPS to 30. It looks like rear end but I was brought up on old PCs so I'm not picky.

My machine is:

Windows 7
i5-4590 CPU @ 3.30GHz
8GB DDR3 RAM
GeForce GTX 760

If you're running something like that and are at all about graphics then maybe wait for some optimisation fixes before buying.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Good god drat the AI cheats. I got fed up with dying in the Runt duel and downloaded Cheat Engine, then set my health and stamina to be permanently 100.

This means I can just keep wailing on him non-stop and the motherfucker never, ever runs out of stamina. There's no point where you can just overwhelm him because he'll just keep blocking and unleashing ripostes and loving 7 hit combos until the cows come home.

Seriously, who play tested this piece of poo poo fight?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
It runs great with an amd card :smug:

Atari teenager
May 29, 2008
The mechanics in this game are innovative and phenomenal.
You are bad at everything when you start and gradually learn to do things by practicing them. Sure it's Skyrim style, but they pushed it one level higher as you can really feel a physical difference when you improve in a domain.
I don't believe the save anywhere mod is necessary. It makes you be more careful about what you do in the game and once you know how to read you can start doing alchemy and the first recipe you get is to make the save potion. Which are cheap to make and sell for a lot more than the ingredients so it's also a nice way to make money early.
It's absolutely amazing to me that you actually have to go learn how to read first then you can study books to get better at stuff. Love how far they pushed it!

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

the great thing about having a lovely rig is that when you turn everything down to get it running it ends up looking like the Stalker / Mount & Blade hybrid it really is.

I mean Witcher vibes are there too, but more the first two Witcher games than Witcher 3 imo.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Atari teenager posted:

You are bad at everything when you start and gradually learn to do things by practicing them. Sure it's Skyrim style, but they pushed it one level higher as you can really feel a physical difference when you improve in a domain.
Aka the Gothic route.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
You know what? This game is actually most similar to STALKER, even more than TES.

It reminds me so much of the freedom and detail and also jank and roguelike difficulty of STALKER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

corn in the bible posted:

It runs great with an amd card :smug:

Runs great on my nvidia card too