Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Gambits would be good if you had to change them more then like five times in the whole game, 100% of the story and 75% of the optional hunts and bosses can be done with the exact same generally useful for everything set up.

Okay but I enjoy efficiently crafting gambits for the current situation, the fact that I don’t have to doesn’t diminish that.

Frankly I don’t see how it’s any less fun than the usual “hold X during every random battle, maybe heal from the menu every once in a while” other games like this to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I love Final Fantasy XII and was excited about it coming to PlayStation 4 and now PC. I double dipped on the game and now own it all on three platforms its available on. I am disappointed though that the Zodiac edition does not let you play with the original license board. I actually like that better then what we got.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Help Im Alive posted:

You use O for a bunch of gunlance stuff like reloading/shooting gunlance shells and there are attacks that use multiple buttons like on gunlance triangle + circle is a rising slash/R1/O/triangle is wyvern fire etc

I don't remember if other weapons have triangle + circle attacks but I thought pretty much all of them did idk

I meant sheathed, obviously you use it for stuff in combat, but Digirat already corrected me that it's used for picking up stuff which is so automatic I forgot it even had a button :downs:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Help Im Alive posted:

I want to go home and play monster hunter but I'll just fall asleep when I get home rip

TFW you can't play MHW when you're hungry because the food is too appealing.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i'm going to try to play Sheep Raider which i saw on a demo disc as a child but never got around to playing

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Other options to change in MHW: remove small monsters from the target list and set the lock-on to just snap the camera to the target and then let go instead of staying locked on, so you always have full control of the camera but if o-doggo or toby or whatever jumps out of the camera, you can snap it back to them before they attack

But yeah no matter who you are, you should keep auto-sheathe off, I have no idea why it exists and then they made it the default.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

TFW you can't play MHW when you're hungry because the food is too appealing.

I'm devastated they took out the 'So tasty!' sound clip that used to play when you cooked raw meat perfectly

Sakurazuka posted:

I meant sheathed, obviously you use it for stuff in combat, but Digirat already corrected me that it's used for picking up stuff which is so automatic I forgot it even had a button :downs:

Oh OK I'm dumb sorry

oddium posted:

i'm going to try to play Sheep Raider which isaw on a demo disc as a child but never got around to playing

It's called Sheep Dog n Wolf here and I don't know why I've never seen anyone talk about it before because it owns

I rented it like 10 times when I was a kid

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

Help Im Alive posted:

It's called Sheep Dog n Wolf here and I don't know why I've never seen anyone talk about it before because it owns

I rented it like 10 times when I was a kid

Its soundtrack is superb, it's been so many years since I've played but I can remember it all so vividly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1tB33qcZNE

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Hanzo is not going to have scattershot anymore. This is a good day for gamers everywhere.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Simple Geometry
*fires randomly at the floor, gets 7 headshots somehow*

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

PantsBandit posted:

Hanzo is not going to have scattershot anymore. This is a good day for gamers everywhere.

Replaced by new ability "We all Hanjo" which transforms your entire team into Hanzo for 30 seconds.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

homeless snail posted:

most of the stuff they added to somehow make the game more approachable to new players is, at best, kind of bad

From the perspective of someone who used to hate Monster Hunter's controls and couldn't play the older ones at all:

It's amazing how many of the default options I've changed to "actually just make it like the older Monster Hunters" because they're so goddamn bad. I get it now. I get why you'd never want a real lock-on in Monster Hunter, or why you'd never want the game to sheath your weapon for you.

The one new thing that is unambiguously awesome, though, is the radial item menu, and even then the default setting (use the item when you release the right stick) is :psyduck: at best because just clicking the stick is so much more reliable.

I've really started to appreciate Monster Hunter's controls now. The game isn't behind the times or archaic--it's just a different kind of game than, say, Dark Souls. For example, doesn't have a lock-on because a true lock-on that always makes you face the monster would be actively detrimental. Hell, even having the basic attacks on triangle instead of square makes a ton of sense to me now. So often, those attacks are either vertical swings or forward thrusts, and for some reason my brain has a really easy time thinking "yes, the top face button would be the button that does the vertical swing."

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 15, 2018

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Seinfeld is really good, I should go watch a bunch of Seinfeld.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

FauxLeather posted:

Its soundtrack is superb, it's been so many years since I've played but I can remember it all so vividly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1tB33qcZNE

where you're trying to lay down some smooth jazz but your mom says you gotta let jethro tull play a little too

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I beat Diablos with 3 minutes 40 seconds left before I was going to time out lol

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I don't really have a problem with lock on as a toggle since just rotating the camera a bit will break the lock quick enough when needed anyway. But I also don't have a problem with the radial menu using the item on release, so maybe I'm just weird.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

More LABO info. They show how each of the toys has extra stuff you wouldn't expect, which is cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWjHVVDpg48

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiFI1g46kZk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cRE95J4Xb4

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

holy moly the bike course creation stuff

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I think I might buy this dumb thing just to fish.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the rainbow Fish!! from sega bass fishing would be a good gang tag

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Real hurthling! posted:

He should finish wattam hes had like 4 years since reveal to make a fun game out of his tech demo

Aren't katamaris only supposed to be composed of good things?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Kinda blowing my mind that Ralph Wolf is a distinct character from Wile E. Coyote.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Oxxidation posted:

P5 became more and more outlandish and unrelatable as its scale increased until the final act, where it segfaulted and became almost as good as the first act

a population quietly sitting and waiting for the end of civilization while resenting the audacity of people who even make a token effort to change things for the better was way more relatable than anything involving Shido, who pound for pound might have been one of the worst-written villains in 2017

I really enjoyed that bit and it confused me trying to figure out whether a work with excellent bookends but extremely middling content in the middle is good or not. I guess in the end I can only call it inconsistent with some highest highs and the blandest blands

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This radiant historia REmake is supposed to be pretty sick right.

Edit: I could correct the autocorrect but I think it's cool my phone is making me talk about resident evil still

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

I have beaten 3 tales games and the idea of one being a goty rpg is super baffling to me but i guess i am just disinterested in playing more tales games

Tales of Eternia owned really hard but yeah I haven't really liked any of the others nearly as much as that one.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

In Training posted:

This radiant historia REmake is supposed to be pretty sick right.

Edit: I could correct the autocorrect but I think it's cool my phone is making me talk about resident evil still

I've only played the demo so far but yeah it rules

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is Ralph Wolf like an alternate skin for Wile E. Coyote or what

Sakurazuka posted:

I beat Diablos with 3 minutes 40 seconds left before I was going to time out lol

:yeah:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

P5 became more and more outlandish and unrelatable as its scale increased until the final act, where it segfaulted and became almost as good as the first act

a population quietly sitting and waiting for the end of civilization while resenting the audacity of people who even make a token effort to change things for the better was way more relatable than anything involving Shido, who pound for pound might have been one of the worst-written villains in 2017

:hai:

Everything from when Akechi is revealed as a villain up to the Yalbadaoth reveal is awful and just loaded with the clunkiest, most tedious exposition dumps possible. But then as soon as the end run starts it gets loving awesome again. That's a real low dip but it really sticks the landing so I'm cool with it.

Regy Rusty posted:

I've only played the demo so far but yeah it rules

Oh poo poo, the remake is out? I loved that game. Now I know what I'm playing after Monster Hunter.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Comes out tomorrow I believe.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

an actual dog posted:

More LABO info. They show how each of the toys has extra stuff you wouldn't expect, which is cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWjHVVDpg48

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiFI1g46kZk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cRE95J4Xb4

There are a lot of comedy geniuses online who are all "hurf durf sellin cardboard" but honestly I would rather put together pieces from a cardboard sheet than have to pay an extra $30+ for some lovely proprietary peripheral I'll only ever use for one game.

The robot one makes me wish for a Switch version of Virtual-On that uses that kit.

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 15, 2018

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

literally just Wile E. with a red nose who tries to steal sheep instead of eating road runner

technically he is involved in different situations and has a different adversary but I mean that is some lazy rear end design

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

he's the luigi

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Digirat posted:

:staredog: What weapon were you using? Some weapons have it ten times harder or easier on some monsters and it helps to be able to use at least two pretty different ones to avoid getting stonewalled like that. Gunlance is perfect for diablos and probably would have given you a much easier time, every time he burrows or charges you can just put up your shield and it lets you explode his horns off

Also after playing Monster Hunter for four hours before bed I ended up dreaming about Monster Hunter and working through a fight postmortem.

I'm using the bow which seems like it should make Diablos a trivial fight. But every time I would get caught out by a moment that was "Oh, I really should just do a quick shot and run out of the way. But I think I have just enough time to charge a Dragon Piercer and do massive damage" and then I would eat a charge and things fall apart. I need to practice discipline and mindfulness.

I do think I want to pick up the Lance after reading about its guarding and riposte abilities

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

In Training posted:

Comes out tomorrow I believe.

It came out yesterday actually! I've already got my copy but I accidentally got really into Ni No Kuni over the weekend so I'm gonna finish that first...

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's a shame they never put Gear Rex in a Momster Hunter

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Why did your mom give you something on Valentine's Day?

Growing up, my mom always wanted me and my brother to think of it as a holiday celebrating love in general, not specifically romantic love

The exchange of material goods doesn't really mesh but I'm not complaining

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

replaying system shock 2 again after all these years.

gently caress. Engineering. Cargo. Bays.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Seriously if the post office lost my copy of Monster Hunter, I'mma be pissed!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I beat monhun. I am sick of it but it was fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I mean, do you really beat MonHun

• Locked thread