Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
My enameled Dutch oven is from Aldi. I have a pretty hard time justifying spending a ton on cast iron products, personally, but even at $30, it’s a decent piece of cookware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Go to Homegoods, TJMAXX, Marshalls, Ross. They often have enameled cast iron in the $50-100 range

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I just cook my shakshuka in a stainless steel saute pan. :shrug:

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Recipe I use calls for tossing it in the oven. Can the stainless pan go in the oven or do you not put it in the oven?

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Recipe I use calls for tossing it in the oven. Can the stainless pan go in the oven or do you not put it in the oven?

Stainless is oven safe.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
... if it doesn't have plastic handles

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Thanks, I'll check for a suitable stainless pan at TJ Maxx

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
I would still recommend a non-stick pan or an enameled cast iron pan for Shakshuka. I think it should be possible to find a nonstick pan suitable for the oven, at least up to 350 or so.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

That's my favorite thing about the calphalon contemporary non stick pans that I was recommended here:

http://www.calphalon.com/en-US/calphalon-contemporary-nonstick-10-in---12-in-fry-pan-set-ca-1876838--1

Oven safe up to 450.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

extravadanza posted:

I would still recommend a non-stick pan or an enameled cast iron pan for Shakshuka.
Why?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I'd imagine the stuff you're browning would stick to stainless steel.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I use all-clad for Shakshuka. I mean sure, stainless steel would be fine too, it's basically the same thing for reactive foods but I always recommend all-clad. Gotta love a pan that'll last a lifetime.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
You can make shakshuka pretty easily by dumping some prego, cheddar, and eggs in a glass bowl and microwaving it for five minutes so not sure why you all are messing around with cast iron.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

My cast iron is pretty well seasoned (or, I thought it was...) and it still made my shakshuka taste metallic.

I just use stainless for it now.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Seriously, there's no reason not to use stainless for shakshuka. It's made for poo poo like that.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

What do yall use for holding your knives? Are those universal knife blocks where you just stick your knives in a mass of foam (?) worth it?

I used the Koosh block for a few years. It's fine? Eventually the little strands break apart and come out and etc...

Doom Rooster posted:

Wall-mounted magnetic strips all the way.

This is what I did after the Koosh block fell apart. It's much better. The knives are now out of the way freeing up much more counter space while being ready to hand. I would never go back.

I mounted the magnetic strips to the tiles in my kitchen wall with liquid nails. Took 30 minutes to get them nice and level, walk away and let it set and it was done.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Instant Pot question. If I am making a dish that takes pasta noodles, and it calls for 2 cups of liquid... for 10 oz of pasta, should I assume it's going to absorb it all?

Reason being, I am going to do 12 oz of pasta, and wondering if I need to add exactly 1/5th more liquid, too.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

I got a Bodum French press. I noticed that the screen wrinkles a little on one side, which might leak some grounds up. Is this normal among Bodums?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

I got a Bodum French press. I noticed that the screen wrinkles a little on one side, which might leak some grounds up. Is this normal among Bodums?

Mine does the same thing.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Sometimes you get a few grounds in the coffee. Isn't really bad imo

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

extravadanza posted:

Stainless is oven safe.

Steve Yun posted:

... if it doesn't have plastic handles

The Farberware I bought as Babby's First Pot Set back in 1993 has oven-safe plastic handles (to 425). Not sure if they make 'em that way still.

Also, holy poo poo my Farberware is 25 years old?! Plus I have one I got from my mom, lord knows how old that one is. What I'm getting at is, if you want no frills stainless on the cheap, I heartily endorse them. Maybe once a year I have to tighten the screw that holds the handle on, but that's it. Though again, could be like Pyrex, Converse, and my favorite style of boots, where They Don't Make Them Like They Used To.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Is there anything a deep fryer does that a regular pot filled with oil can't do or is it all just convenience?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Mainly it keeps grease and smell from getting into the air

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Designs with a lid and basket make it a lot easier to fry without getting spattered. Designs with the heating element in the oil can control the oil temp more finely than a burner heating a vessel heating the oil.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Probably slightly less of fire vs gas stove top

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...medium=facebook

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
:wtc:

$600 for a smart rear end slowcooker with an optional meal subscription.

I'm just reminded of the old Tex Avery house of the future cartoon.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 21, 2018

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

I'm not buying an all-in-one kitchen replacement device until it's dispensing Jetsons-style food pills :colbert:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'd just like to say, I had my mini-rear end little food processor for at least 6 years, no problem. Tried one recipe today that made a semi-firm dough. Mega smoke.

I'm ready for that fancy rear end one that was recommended to me.
So ready.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
That is one fancy rear end Easy-Bake Oven.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I’ve been thinking about picking up a hand blender. In part because the blender I have is a hand me down from my grandpa and has seen better days.

Any reason not to get this one?

https://www.bestbuy.com//site/kitchenaid-khb2561ob-5-speed-hand-blender-onyx-black/8813007.p?skuId=8813007

Price seems right and I have a gift card. Is it overkill? Barring any major items, this should handle all of my blending needs, right?m

Also, thinking about replacing my toaster. It’s not terrible but I got it from a thrift store in 2010 for a couple bucks. I think a new one could do better but not sure what I should look for or what’s overpriced. I’m looking at a KitchenAid model that’s on sale for $40, down from $60. It’s a 2 slice, so nothing crazy.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 22, 2018

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Boywhiz88 posted:

I’ve been thinking about picking up a hand blender. In part because the blender I have is a hand me down from my grandpa and has seen better days.

Any reason not to get this one?

https://www.bestbuy.com//site/kitchenaid-khb2561ob-5-speed-hand-blender-onyx-black/8813007.p?skuId=8813007

Serious Eats was not a fan.

quote:

The KitchenAid 5-Speed Hand Blender was nearly the same price as the All-Clad, but it trailed in testing, with results similar to the much less expensive Hamilton Beach 2-Speed.
http://www.seriouseats.com/2017/11/best-immersion-blenders.html

Neither was the Wirecutter.

quote:

The KitchenAid 5-Speed Hand Blender wasn’t reviewed in any major editorials, but at the time of our 2013 testing it was the fifth-rated immersion blender on Amazon (getting 4.4 out of five stars and 85 percent positive reviews) and actually had higher user ratings than the KitchenAid 3-Speed. It comes with a big box of attachments, including interchangeable blades, a chopper, and a whisk. We didn’t find that the 5-Speed performed any better than the KitchenAid 3-Speed, and we didn’t think we’d use all of the attachments.
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-immersion-blender/

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

The Wirecutter review mentioned they liked the 2-speed Cuisinart on a budget.

https://www.bestbuy.com//site/cuisinart-smart-stick-powertrio-high-torque-hand-blender-csb-80-silver/5317984.p?skuId=5317984

Considering the price and whatnot, anything I should consider w this one? I’m cool with it not being top of the line, and giving me room to grow. I’m trying to stick w Best Buy because I have a big gift card and unfortunately the All Clad blender isn’t an option.

I’ll mention that part of why I was eyeing the KitchenAid was due to its attachments. I already have a food processor and stand mixer, Cuisinart and KitchenAid respectively, so I suspect I should consider relying on those for whipping eggs or any larger blending, right?

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 22, 2018

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Where do you all store all of your small appliances in your kitchen? I mean things like pressure cookers, rice cookers, sous-vide equipment, etc. etc. I'm taking up a ton of space in my kitchen island cupboards that I'd rather use as a dry pantry. Buy a deep sideboard or something?

I got the aforementioned Cuisinart as a gift and can attest to it being good for not a lot of money. It's an immersion blender, just buy one and use it. It's not something to really worry about.

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 23, 2018

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Thanks! I’ve pulled the trigger and am looking forwarding to immersing myself!

I am pretty rigid on where things go, but I relaxed myself and moved things where they would fit. My issue isn’t appliances so much as bakeware and mixing bowls and whatnot. A big coup was moving my round bakeware in the cupboard w my regular dishes. Much more accessible, gained a lot of space and consolidated my rectangular pans much more cleanly and easily.

Basically, give yourself a chance to switch up your cupboard and whatnot. You might be surprised with what you realize you can do!

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Do people wash their ceramic honing rods?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I don't know, op.

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Ceramics will load with steel off the knife.

You can clean them Bar Keeper's Friend, Comet, or whatever similar product you have around the house.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Scott808 posted:

Ceramics will load with steel off the knife.

You can clean them Bar Keeper's Friend, Comet, or whatever similar product you have around the house.

Thanks for the tip, nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I've decided I am going to tackle crepes. Do I need some fancy expensive crepier pan if I just plan on doing this from time to time on my glass top? (or Induction?)

Or can I just go get a 10-12 inch shallow-walled nonstick and be good to go?