Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
Oh shiiiiit we're getting into deep forbidden secrets already. My reading here is that Mell and Nellie are full siblings and Dracula is a half sister, so at least it's slightly less incest?

Also notable that Nellie is placing a lot more blame on her than on Mell. It's not like she can say no to him! In fact she already has politely and impolitely put him off and also tried to kill him once, he's more mild mannered about it than Nellie but he's got some sort of yandere potential going for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Well, that certainly explains why their mom was so nice to white-haired girl.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

And maybe also why father immediately bailed to their other place.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

marshmallow creep posted:

And maybe also why father immediately bailed to their other place.

Sindai posted:

Well, that certainly explains why their mom was so nice to white-haired girl.

That along with the irony of Nellies beloved painting not featuring her, goddamn has this started on the right foot. Heck, this is a much stronger start than Umineko for sure.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

ProfessorProf posted:

If that's speculation, it doesn't need to be spoiler tagged. If it's spoilers, don't post it.

It's me speculating, I've never played this. This is me trying to make sense of the thing that was super obvious to Nell while I'm scratching my head in a corner.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I'm thinking its most likely that White Hair is a half sibling, yeah.

And Nellie probably just had a go at her with some fabric shears or something similarly crazed. White Hair says "those" rather than "that," after all, and while learning a trade has historically been looked down upon for gentry, ladies having some skill with embroidery or other similar types of handiwork is usually acceptable.

e: I'll be surprised if Nellie tried to kill her instead of disfigure her. Well, I guess we will find out soon. Ugh, Nellie.

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 16, 2018

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010
I'd been assuming that Nellie is cutting off White Haired Girl's white hair, honestly.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
Eh, given the line about how her fits were "still no worse than a playful kitten," I think this is the turning point where they stop being so.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
(Content warning: I'm sure you've already guessed, but incest.)

...Very well, then. If you insist, Master, we shall proceed with the story.

It was a stormy night, much like the one the White-Haired Girl had first arrived on. It was quiet as a crypt in the mansion, not a single light visible in the halls. The house sat in wait for the sun to peek out over the horizon. The darkness is, generally speaking, something that rushes by like a gust of wind as we sleep. The flaxen-haired young man too lay in bed, pale blue moonlight sporadically streaming through the gaps in his drawn velvet curtains as he attempted to submit to slumber. He was having difficulty drifting off, but as time trickled onward, he drew closer and closer to the arms of Morpheus.

BGM: The Maid (Effected)

Suddenly, he sensed a presence in the room — much like the one from those nights some weeks earlier.

Is someone there?
Answer m —

There was no hostility in the motion, but rather a great deal of affection.

...You’re —

The silhouette faintly visible in the dark room was the same as that night. A flash of lightning shone through the drawn curtains, illuminating her beautiful white hair. Several silky locks spilled over her shoulders and brushed against Mell’s cheeks.

A couple soft puffs of air tickled his face, as though she were silently laughing. He assumed her finger, held against his lips, was her way of telling him to stay quiet.

She began to slowly, delicately trace the outline of his mouth, moving down his cheek and along his jawline as if over porcelain.

You’re, uh, rather more forward than I remember...
Well... I suppose you always were quite daring. This isn’t the first time you’ve sneaked into my bedchamber...

The boy said in an attempt to conceal his surprise. Do you remember the night she came to exact revenge on him for her father? Indeed, she had proven herself to be a rather bold girl once already.

It’s dark; I can’t see you very well. Why don’t I light a lamp, or perhaps we could open the —

They remained that way for several minutes. Their kiss was innocent — no more than the pressing together of two pairs of lips. And at the same time, the White-Haired Girl lovingly ran her fingertips across his skin.

When their lips separated, Mell gasped for air. It seemed he had been holding his breath. Slightly embarrassed at himself, he said —

:siren:Video: Dearest Mell:siren:

BGM: Labirintia

...!

— nothing. He could not speak. The silhouette hanging above him was certainly the White-Haired Girl’s. Or was it? Because his next words were —

G-Get off me!

He reflexively shoved the girl straddling him aside. She rolled off the bed, landing on the cold floor, but slowly, gradually, she crawled her way back toward him.

Veiled in darkness, she slowly lifted her head. And then — there was another flash of lightning. The heavy fabric of the curtains rustled, bolts of light streaming between the gaps. Her flaxen irises glimmered. Though in the bluish-white light, they took on a twinge of almost golden glow.

Or did I not kiss you the same way? Tell me, how does she run her fingers across your skin? What does she do when she nuzzles up to you?
S — Stop — Stop this madness, Nellie! Wh-Why would you... Why would you do this?!
Because you like white hair, don’t you, Mell? you like white hair, which is why you fell for her, isn’t it?
Ahaha... So if I have white hair, then you’ll fall for me too. Then I can be your princess again, dearest Mell.
What... What are you even talking about?

He could not escape from her — from his sister’s piercing gaze. “Why?” “What happened?” “How could she?” Questions crashed into the young man’s mind like waves in a stormy sea. But none of them found answers; they simply caused him further perplexity.

Y-Your hair... What happened to your hair? How did you... get it that color?

— !

But as soon as the words left her mouth, Mell was in motion, propelled by pure instinct. He clenched Nellie’s shoulders tight enough to dig his fingers into her flesh.

...Nnh. you’re hurting me, Mell.
Wh-What did you do to her?! Tell me! What did you do?!
I made her leave... It was a perfectly reasonable decision. She was obviously not nobility, and thus hardly fit to be a part of this household.
But there’s no need to worry, Mell. I’m here to take her place —
You sound like a madwoman!
I-It doesn’t matter if she was of noble blood or not... She promised she would stay by my side! So why... How could you... do that to her?!
I promised you that long before she ever did! And I... I love you far more than she did, Mell!
Have you lost your mind?
You’re not making any sense! Where is she now?! What is she doing?!
It’s always her with you! What more could you want from me?! Tell me, what does she have that I don’t?!
What do I have to do to get you to focus on me, and only me?!
We’re siblings! Don’t you understand what you’re doing?!
Oh, I understand it quite well. Far better than you do, dearest Mell. I even know that a former queen was executed for it. But...

Nellie... you — ! Are you saying you’ve always felt this way about me?!
Oh my, you didn’t notice, dearest Mell? you truly are a dense one. I guess romance just isn’t your strong suit.
But you’ve noticed now, haven’t you? you know exaaaactly how I feel about you, right?
Quit it... Enough! Don’t say anything else! Stop... Stop having these insane feelings for me!
It’s disgusting!
Heh, hehe. Aha... ahahaha...
Wh-What are you laughing about?
Poor, poor Mell! Content in your complete ignorance! All right, I’ll tell you everything.
Mell, you...

...Huh?

His cackling sister appeared to him like some kind of inhuman life form. Her actions and incomprehensible exclamations slowly drained him of his strength.

What kind... of deranged nonsense is that? I love her. She’s —

...Hah, haha. Very funny... How far out of your mind have you gone, Nellie?
Poor, poor, poor Mell... Do you honestly know nothing?
Say, that her father was a painter?

He painted pictures for a living.

Wh-What of it?
For a time, her father painted for our family. you’ve seen the picture before, dearest Mell.
The one hanging in my room of the two of us.
That was painted by her father. Hehehe, he did a good job, didn’t he?
I kept asking and asking until you finally agreed to hold my hand. And how did you feel about that? you were rather embarrassed, weren’t you?
Do you remember that day... dearest Mell?
Heh, hehe... you couldn’t possibly remember it.
But there’s a chance you might remember this: before we moved to this mansion... we had a painter with white hair.
I — I don’t... remember... any such thing...

He was, long ago, a painter in service of the Rhodes family.

But that painter did something very, very bad, and because of that, he couldn’t remain a part of our household.

My father was chased from your house!

If the child had been born with flaxen hair, then the painter would not have been thrown out. The baby would have been accepted as part of the family.
But that wasn’t how it turned out. The child had white hair! She didn’t look at all like she carried the Rhodes family blood!
But see, Mother had me, heh, hehe... That I’m here is all the proof you need!
The girl born sixteen years ago didn’t have flaxen hair!

Up until his last breath, he was only ever concerned about me... He held me in his arms and ran his hands through my hair, an apologetic look on his face.

Y-You’re talking total nonsense... What... What proof do you have?
If you want to see it, I’ll gladly show you... The artist left a message in the painting in my room...
Tell me, am I truly wrong? What did that girl tell you?
Y-You’re lying...
What part of it is a lie, Mell? Everything I’m telling you is the truth! Why don’t you go ask Mother?! Ahaha! I’m sure she would throw quite the fit!
M-Mother wouldn’t...

The mistress did not send me away when she saw me. Quite the opposite - she took me in as a servant.

It never made sense to me! Why would she hire a maid she knew nothing about, someone who just showed up at the door one day?
And when I asked Mother to make her my maid, she stubbornly refused!
From a good house? Don’t make me laugh. If she were really nobility, she would have given us her name.
But Mother was so desperate to cover up her mistake... Aha, hahaha!
Th-That doesn’t make any sense... I don’t believe a word you’re saying. It couldn’t possibly be true...
Wouldn’t it be nice if you could bury your head in the sand? But Mell, feigning ignorance is a sin.
No! I refuse to believe it! Not a chance in hell!
You... just don’t understand anything... How I feel, how much I’ve suffered!
Do you have any idea how long I’ve loved you?! Knowing that you would never accept my affection!

Then I should qualify for your love too! Shouldn’t I, Mell?! Ahahahahahahahaha!
Stop it! Enough! Shut your mouth! Not another word!
I — I don’t — I don’t believe any of this!

Ahah... ha, ha...
I know you’ll never love me... I know there’s nowhere for me to run...
Say, when we were kids, was that really me?
Was I really by your side, Mell?
If that painting tells the whole truth, I was never — Never once... did I get to be your princess.
Not even once...

everyone just loves to dote on me.

They’re always telling me how pretty I am. Mother does, Father does... and all the maids do too. I can do anything I want. So for me... acting like a spoiled child is the only form of rebellion I have.

I don’t have the kind of freedom you do, Mell. I’m just a doll for the family to play with. When I have visitors, it’s only ever for show. So it’s not my fault that I don’t have friends.

Dearest Mell,
you’re the only one who’s ever cared about me more than anything in the world.

Dearest Mell...
I always knew how I would react if you fell in love. I would cry my eyes out. I would envy her to death. I would get angry as a bull. But eventually, I would have given up. I knew I could never have it my way, after all. My feelings would never bear fruit.

So why... did she have to be your sister? Tell me... why?

BGM: Ephemera

I’ll be fine, Nellie. It’s not like I’m reading twenty-four hours a day.
No, that’s not good enough! If your eyes go bad, dearest Mell, you won’t be able to see me anymore.
Ahaha. you worry too much. I can see you fine and well, my princess.
Your hair, glimmering like the sun, and your beautiful smile. I can see you clear as day, and that’ll never change.

Plus, the skies are clear today, so you’re even more radiant than usual.
Hehe. you know, this is my favorite season.
Winter’s cold, and there’s so much rain. I can’t stand it.
But as it gets closer to my birthday, the clouds go away! And I just adore the sun.
Ah yes, it’s almost your birthday, isn’t it? Have you decided what you’re going to ask Father for?
Not yet. I want pretty dolls, and shoes with sparkling gems.
And I also want a pretty dress, like the ones Mother wears!
Haha... A list that long is asking a bit much, even for Father.
But... But dearest Mell.
Hmm?
I already have what I want the most. So the truth is, as long as I have that, I don’t need anything else.
Oh? And what would that be? The hairpin they bought for you the other day? Or maybe... the song they had written for you last year?
None of that, dearest Mell.
Huh, then what could it be? Now I’m really curious. What is it that’s so valuable to you?
That’s... a secret!
Girls have so many secrets, I just don’t know what to do.
Hehehe.

What’s gotten into you, Nellie? Why are you so hungry for attention all of a sudden?
Please, dearest Mell.
Oh, Nellie... what am I going to do with you? Come over here.

Yes, yes, as you wish, my beautiful, beautiful little princess.
Say, um, dearest Mell?
What is it this time, Nellie?
Right now... I’m so incredibly —

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Well gently caress. Will there be any survivors?

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
:magical:

This is either gonna end with a dagger through her own neck, or the sun rising on a mansion of corpses. Oh patriarchy, how many corpses must you claim before your end?

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Well gently caress. Will there be any survivors?
I am sure that maid with the black hair is just fine.
Well poo poo.

resurgam40 posted:

Oh patriarchy, how many corpses must you claim before your end?
Let's not waste a perfectly good thread. Please.

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Feb 16, 2018

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Do you think she just cut off the hair, or did she include the scalp too?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Does WHG know?

Run away Mell, run away!

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
I mean, given the Romeo and Juliet vibes I'm pretty sure it's gonna end with the death of both kids, the end of the house, etc.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Does WHG know?

Run away Mell, run away!

Somehow I don't think she knows, or least not before Nellie attacked her.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

OutofSight posted:

Let's not waste a perfectly good thread. Please.

Eh, I don't think that's wasting anything; quite the contrary, these forums are one of the few remaining places on the internet where there can be an actual dialogue about interpretations like this, without risking a frog-themed shitstorm.
That said, the overtones of patriarchical violence seem a bit shallow here, particularly as a cause for Nellie's actions. More of a classic villain's origin story than anything else. Of course, it's quite possible that there will be further elaboration on this theme.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
I wouldn't say it's shallow. For her entire life she's been treated as someone to marry off to cement alliances and not as an actual person. Then her life got changed in an instant by her father who didn't even ask her (and considering the time this story takes place in, who she marries is quite possibly the most important decision that she could make.) Yes she's acting childishly, but she's fourteen! Compared to Mell, who is also childishly gallivanting around town with a servant whose antecedents he doesn't even know, and doesn't know what direction he wants to take in his life, but is given space to think about it and decide for himself because he's a guy. (Not to mention that if she were a boy, they would have probably disciplined her better like they did Mell...)

None of this excuses the incest and whatever she did to the Nameless girl, but the patriarchy is pretty clearly integral to this story.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Carpator Diei posted:

Eh, I don't think that's wasting anything; quite the contrary, these forums are one of the few remaining places on the internet where there can be an actual dialogue about interpretations like this, without risking a frog-themed shitstorm.
That said, the overtones of patriarchical violence seem a bit shallow here, particularly as a cause for Nellie's actions. More of a classic villain's origin story than anything else. Of course, it's quite possible that there will be further elaboration on this theme.

Maybe. I just have experiences in other threads, where the tone just boils down to some petty "lol patriarchy (heterosexual men are the worst and unredeemable and all be killed)"
Other favurites are "lol racists (white people are the worst and should all be killed)" and "lol #nazis ("conservative people/people not supporting 100% my political agenda are the worst...)".
It is not about having an opinion. It is about both ends of the spectrum pretending everyone not on their side is an evil idiot and then quietly loving off if somebody questions their way of arguments.
I guess i have issues and do not believe in any idea about "honest discussion on the internet". At least when it comes to these subjects.

Back to the game.

It is strange that Lady Rhodes seem such a non-entity and -authority in her kids' lives. She is the one present at the Rhodes Estate while the father seems mostly away on business trips.
It is quite obvious, that Nellie was not happy about marriage. Still she does not have anything to say to her daughter.
She was was having an affair in the past and then then sent just WHG off with her father into a precarious situation. After more a decade she hires WHG as maid out of guilt and hopes nobody finds out?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

OutofSight posted:

It is strange that Lady Rhodes seem such a non-entity and -authority in her kids' lives. She is the one present at the Rhodes Estate while the father seems mostly away on business trips.
It is quite obvious, that Nellie was not happy about marriage. Still she does not have anything to say to her daughter.
She was was having an affair in the past and then then sent just WHG off with her father into a precarious situation. After more a decade she hires WHG as maid out of guilt and hopes nobody finds out?

She isnt directly relevant. This is the tragedy of these siblings - she's as important as, for example, Lady
or Lord Montague in Romeo and Juliet. As to why she takes her in, having heard of the fate of her lover and seeing her daughter return, of course she'd do her utmost for her. The father hardly comes to the manor anyhow, so he wouldn't have much opportunity to learn her identity.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Well holy gently caress.
I mean, it wasn't as if I didn't see this coming, but the execution of the reveal/twist/whatever that was was done so well that it was still shocking. I actually am considering buying the game, because I want to know what happens next, despite not really having the money to excuse game buying at the moment. I think I will check Steam after writing this.

About the mother, I very much doubt that she had any choice about sending her lover and child away. My impression was that either her husband was the one doing that,or that she sent them away to save them from a possibly worse fate.

Edit:
Welp. For your information, The House in Fata Morgana is half off on Steam until the 19th. In other news, I have a new game.

Thesaya fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Feb 17, 2018

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

In a fevered frenzy, Mell fled from the mansion. Even in early summer, the night was cold. And to make matters worse, raindrops pelted him from head to toe. But that caused him little discomfort, for a far greater maelstrom of pain rampaged within his breast.

At night, the town took on a different appearance. Not simply for lack of illumination, but the people active within it as well. It was not a suitable place for a young aristocratic man to go wandering unattended. The darkness is not only the abode of devils, but of beggars, thieves, criminals, and all manner of things undesirable.

But despite that, he continued to run, knowing not where he was to head. He simply went where his feet took him. And where he arrived was the church.

Father!
(God... God should be able to offer me counsel.)
(To answer all my questions.)
(About that painting, about her, and about Nellie’s feelings.)
(Not her lies, but the truth!)
Please, open the door!
...!
Open the door!

But as you might expect, the door was locked, and the priest showed no sign of responding to his calls. The sound of the pouring rain drowned out everything else.

Nnh...

His head drooped feebly. He looked like a helpless little calf who had wandered, alone, onto a dark, precarious mountain path with no end in sight.

Why...

Have I sinned?! No, I didn’t know anything! I didn’t know —
No... No... None of it’s true... So I... I haven’t done anything wrong...
I am not at fault! Am I?!

Nevertheless, his sister’s claims, and her laughs, continued to echo within his head. If he truly believed it to be false, he would have gone to look at the painting. That he could not was an indication that uncertainty had a stronger grip on him.

Fragmented images of a white-haired painter fluttered through the back of his mind, but he desperately shoved them aside.

(What good is the Church? What good is theology? What good is God?!)
I...
Wha —

Something moved near the boy. It stood immediately behind him and grasped his light dressing gown. He had been so consumed in his own world that he had not noticed the person’s presence until they were close enough to touch him.

What — Who... are you...?

(He’s still begging at the church?)

The hooded beggar tentatively extended his hand toward Mell, pleading for relief with sad, slender fingers. Were he a generous young man, Mell would have given the beggar something. Were he generous, of course.

...L-Lord...
...Get your filthy hands off me!
I don’t have a damned thing to give you right now! Don’t you dare touch me!

Suddenly —

(Suddenly — )

— the beggar’s head turned upward.

( — my eyes catch the beggar’s.)

Her hood fell back, revealing a hairless head —

Wh...y...

BGM: Acherontia Styx

(Red eyes...)

She immediately covered her face and turned to run.

I-It can’t be... The beggar that’s always been here was a...

But you said yourself that they would not survive much longer. How could you be certain she was that same beggar?

A-Ahh! W-Wait! Wait for me!

Perhaps, as someone of such high social standing, all beggars appeared the same to you? Or perhaps you wanted to believe your meager generosity made a difference — that you did something of value. I will not say it is wrong to think so...

Wait for me!

(Though I shout for her to stop, she continues to run.)
(The rain is so heavy I’m afraid I might lose her.)
(I’m terrified.)
(But... But I didn’t do anything wrong! Did I?!)
I’m begging you, please stop! I just want to talk!

(She comes to a stop at a corner.)
Please do not go around this corner.
...I-It’s you... isn’t it?
...I am sorry.
Why are you apologizing?! What I said back there was terrible, and for that I am truly sorry!
I didn’t realize it was you!
Please, come back to me... If you’re concerned about social status, I’ll figure something out! And Nellie’s getting married off soon enough...
Oh... yes, Nellie. Nellie did some horrible things to you... Sh-She’s lost her mind!
She was talking nonsense...
But don’t worry, she’ll be out of the picture soon enough. I’ll make sure you’re safe.
S-Say something... please... Are you... angry? you’re angry, aren’t you?
I am not... angry at you.
I am not...
...Did you... know everything? Did you come to our house... aware of everything?
Wha —

You’re the only one who will tell me it’s not true!
What are you —
Our relationship!
...I don’t understand what you’re saying...
Hah... haha. Ah... I see. you don’t know. you don’t know...

Nellie’s the only one who knows... and she’ll be gone before long... Everything will be all right...
L-Lord Mell...
It’ll all... be all right. Let’s go back... I’ll make sure you’re never put in danger again. I’m begging you, stay with me...
My appearance... is no longer suitable... to stand at your side...
You saw how unsightly I am back by the church, did you not?
H-Hair can grow back. Th-That’s not a problem.
...Now I truly look the part... of the hideous witch.
But I am to blame. It was a sin for me to find happiness in your kindness.
What are you talking about? you’re —
My sin was falling in love with you... Not what happened to my father, nor how we had to spend our days...
There’s no sin in that! W-We have our whole lives ahead of us! Don’t we?!
With enough time, this whole tragic mess will be behind us! Things will only get better from here!
I... I’ll be your prince... like the one who took the girl to see the outside world!
So please... give me — give me your hand...
Come to me!
Don’t leave me all alone!
I need you by my side!
Please!
(I extend my hand around the corner.)
(I sense her hesitating beyond the bend.)
I’m begging you...
(I can’t see what’s on the other side, but a vision of her reaching out to put her hand in mine wells up in my mind.)
(But — )

Wha —
( — she doesn’t take my hand.)
I doubt the girl ever wrote that letter.
Ah...

Why?!
How did things end up like... like this?
Where did I go wrong, O God?!

But that generosity came from your own desire to avoid pain. For your own happiness.
I... I... What should I have done...?
I can’t take this...
Everyone... Everyone was happy...
Nellie used to laugh and smile... She once meant the world to me...
How did things end up like this?!
...It’s not my fault. I didn’t do anything wrong!
If you pretend like nothing happened, then perhaps they can go on smiling in your head.
But regardless, you must follow the path you tread. It is your path alone.
The path you chose when, in that moment, you decided to run.
Make the wrong choice in those moments, and you shall find yourself on the road to ruin.
I would have been better off not knowing. Better off in the dark...
I just wanted... those tranquil days... to last... They were supposed to last forever!
At some point, your childhood must come to an end. And that ending may not be the one you anticipated.
I can’t stand... this world...
You yearned for a world that would treat you with kindness.
What should I do...? What should I have done?! Someone... please... help me!
...You should return now. If you spend too long out here, you are liable to catch a cold.

Through the shattered glass, You could see only the ruins of a garden, not a single rose growing within. You had evidently returned from the past. In the garden, weeds grew taller than people. You found it difficult to look at. A wolf howled in the distance. The children, the sea of roses, and the White-Haired Girl were nowhere to be found.

You and the Maid who called You “Master” were the only people present in the mansion.

BGM: The Maid (Piano)

My, you cannot remember? It seems this is quite serious, then.
Worry not; my loyalty lies with you, Master. The mansion has witnessed more yet. Let us make our way to the second door.

Your hand in hers, the Maid guided You back through the kitchen and into the tea room. Her palms were still cold; You felt as though You were clenching ice.

Or, if it is something you would be happier not knowing, would you rather remain in the dark?
Oh, is that so? Hehehe.
I wonder about their father. Yes, the flaxen-haired siblings’ father. Do you think he knew about the White-Haired Girl?
If he did... then perhaps he allowed her to stay because of how deeply he loved his wife.
Or maybe because he did not want people to find out about her.
I expect he too experienced many different emotions. But those pages of his story remain untold.
Their parents likely had a turbulent tale as well, but theirs is not of consequence.
To whom? I could not tell you.

You and the Maid crossed through the entrance hall, continuing Your trek. At some point, the fire in the fireplace had faded to embers, emphasizing the lack of light within the mansion. The Maid took a candlestick and lit it in the cinders. The small flame illuminated her pale face.

On a whim, You asked the Maid about herself.

Oh, what was that? You are interested in my name? Hehehe, you flatter me.
I truly do appreciate the question... but you are more than welcome to simply call me “the Maid.”
Also, it would make me much happier to hear you say my name after you have recalled who you are, Master.

A subtle smile rose to the Maid’s face, after which she began to lead You down a first-floor corridor.

In it reflected the warm light of the candle, which disappeared out of range shortly thereafter.
Oh my... Is something the matter? Did you come across something peculiar?
Hehe...

The Maid had not appeared in the mirror. Though she was not the only one without a reflection...

There appeared to be a doorway, but the door itself was long since gone, leaving only a hole in the wall to frame the stairs behind it.

Without hesitation, the Maid descended into the darkness.

You have more interest in this mansion, Master, than in a mere maid, do you not?
Though it pains me to say as much in your presence, Master, this house is cursed.
Yes... It is a curse that runs deep.
As you just bore witness to, the majority of those who dwell within these walls fall into misfortune.
I have served here for many years, and periods of happiness are as fleeting as a sugar cube in a cup of hot tea.
Why did such tragedies befall them? If I were to guess, Master... it was because you had not returned.
But when you remember your true self, the mansion’s curse should be broken.
The next door is before us.

It appeared to be the entrance to a cellar. The disconsolate wooden door was visibly rotten in several places, and it seemed it might crumble at a single touch. You could hear the sound of something devouring meat beyond the door. Maybe there was a beast living within.

Before You had a chance to say You thought it was dangerous, the Maid opened the door with a chilling smile on her face.

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 17, 2018

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
That brings us to the end of Chapter 1. There will be no update tomorrow.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
That last line doesn't bode well for Nellie I don't think. :ohdear:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

For all the potential flags, at the very least nobody died in Chapter 1! Who knows, White-Haired Girl might even survive a few years on the streets before dying, and Mell might live out a full life. My guess is that these two will become primary antagonists later on in their lives in the history of the Manor, and Mell will have gained somewhat of an obsession.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Well, at least White-haired Girl wasn’t scalped like I was afraid she had been... Though given everything that happened I doubt it’ll end well for any of the three.

I wonder which one is the source of the noise? Probably Nellie. :v:

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

BGM: Vulpe

The grandeur of the house was lost to the ages. It was in perpetual decline. Not a flower grew in the garden; dust and dirt blackened the plaster; cobwebs blanketed the corridors; ivy shrouded the outer walls. It was not a pleasant sight. As hard as I tried to fight it, I could not stop the mansion’s descent into disrepair. The depth of the previous owner’s grief — or perhaps despair — was far too much. After the beautiful, flaxen-haired family, people stayed away from the mansion. They had no heirs, so their bloodline simply vanished into the depths of history.

It had been about fifty years since the house last had a resident. The forlorn property appeared as though it had been abandoned for centuries, and the occasional villager who stumbled upon it did not remain there for more than a day. My time there was rather solitary. That was perhaps the loneliest time of my life. Everyone who visited the mansion feared it, and it was left without anyone to become its master. I even came to believe that my time serving as a maid would come to an end in this era.

However, one day, I noticed something out of the ordinary. As a servant of the house, I am almost immediately aware of any new presence within its walls. And there appeared to be someone downstairs. Can you imagine just how delighted I was?

So, resisting the urge to rush, I headed for the basement. The cellar was where red wine, smoked meat, and other preserved foods were kept. By that point, the wine was practically antique.

As I had expected, a man had made his way into the cellar.

Although, I am unsure if referring to him as a “man” is entirely accurate.

Oh my. This is quite something.

The very first thing I sensed was an almost unbearable stench. The odor emanated from the man, heightened by the food he had carelessly rummaged through. Blood-red liquid spilled from wine barrels, soaking the floor. His sunken eyes had a piercing, wolf-like glimmer in them. His teeth were sharp and yellowed, visible as he ripped into a chunk of meat. He grumbled in a seemingly inhuman tongue. I was looking at a beast. Or perhaps a half-beast.

There was another source of odor in the room, though. It had something of a kind of metallic tinge to it, and when I noticed this... I nearly passed out. The red liquid was not just wine, as I had assumed. The beast had, I presume, stolen a weapon from the village. A sword far too nice for him lay on the floor by his side. I could hardly imagine how many people’s lives he had taken with that blade. It was visibly wet with blood, even in the darkness of the cellar. But at the same time, it had an imposing gleam. The fine, luscious aroma of the wine could not mask the stench of blood and the beast.

Holding my breath, I took a few moments to ponder. Ponder what? Oh, Master, you know...

××××××××××
Did you come here knowing what kind of place it is?
×××××××××××××××××××××××
Hehehe... If you are in want of money, you are welcome to help yourself to some of the furniture.
And I imagine the villagers would be willing to welcome you if you dressed yourself up a bit more like a person.
Then you can trade the furniture for food and make your way to a larger town.
The wolf was able to fool the innocent little girl simply by putting on clothing, after all.
×××××××××××××××××××××
Oh dear, I was afraid you wouldn’t understand me. What am I to do?

I was in quite the predicament. Nevertheless, it meant a great deal to me then that I had found someone who did not fear the mansion — be they human or beast. So I decided I should give him my assistance, while doing my best not to agitate him.

BGM: Huaina

To say it was perched upon a cliff might make it sound rather intimidating... but you could see the beautifully clear sea through the windows — a glittering expanse of emerald and turquoise. If the mansion had been in proper condition, it would have been breathtaking against that backdrop. I even wanted to plant orange trees in the garden. Though it was a tumultuous era, the sun still shone bright upon the land, which only served to emphasize the house’s unsightliness.

Oh yes, perhaps I should give you some more background information. At that period in time, a war had just drawn to a close.

The people wanted nothing more than for the curtain to draw on that deeply political contest. And when it finally did, the kingdom, with its richly fertile shores, was stripped of its independence, beginning a new era under new rule. The people were exhausted, their spirits wasted away. And the splendor of the ocean and sky did nothing to help. In my mind, the beast was emblematic of the times — emaciated and enveloped in the scent of blood. But the war came to an end. Thus the beast did not have to remain a beast, I thought.

Did he?

First, I needed to do something about his appearance. I would draw a bath, scrub away all the filth, and dress him in clothing left in the mansion. However, having sat unused for fifty years, the majority of garments had been devoured by insects and were of little use. So I searched the mansion top to bottom for anything the beast could wear, heated up some coals, and set to work ironing what I found. At the time, steam irons had not yet been invented. We used plates of iron heated with coals. They somewhat resembled kettles.

I even prepared meals for the beast, in order to teach him proper table manners. Although, with the mansion in a nearly uninhabitable state of disarray, there was only so much I could do in the kitchen. And the only supplies I had to work with were what was left in the cellar. As such, I was not able to put to use the cooking skills I had learned in the flaxen-haired family’s time.

×××××××××××××××××
You eat using a knife and fork. See, like this. Hehe... I feel like I am teaching a young child.
×××××××××××××××
Oh my. What are you holding your head for?
××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××
...Oh dear. Perhaps I should be teaching you to speak before table manners.
×××××××××××××××××××××
Worry not, we have plenty of time. You needn’t act so frightened.
×××××××××××××××××××××××
Or perhaps you do not want to be understood at all?
×××××××××××××××××××××××
Would you be so kind as to tell me your name? You are, for now, still a guest; it is too soon for me to call you “Master.”
Or am I mistaken?
×××××××
Your name... That is, what people call you.
How about I start by telling you my name? I am called —
××××B××××E××××

Bestia.
Your name... is Bestia?
Hehe... I see. Then that is what I shall call you, Bestia.

He had, in fact, attempted to cause me harm. However... I am a servant of the house. Hehehe.

The beast called himself Bestia. It is a curious thing — when I learned his name, he seemed to take on new importance in my mind. He was not a mere beast, but the thing called Bestia.

Master. Should I ever have the chance to hear your name, I am certain you too shall become more substantial a presence. But you must always remember, Master... that even if you do not remember your name, and even if you never know mine... you have always held a special place in my heart.

Slowly, he began to learn the human tongue. And I was, to be quite honest, rather thrilled. To be certain, I was afraid of the beast... but my fear was not so strong as my elation that there was someone else in the mansion, someone to whom I could speak... and someone that might become my master.

This is a task that requires perseverance. You do it like this, see? There you go.
×××××××××××××× ×××××G×××××R××××A××××S×××S××××
Oh, did you not expect that? Hehehe... What appears to be many plants on the surface is actually all connected within the soil.
×××××××
This is a task that requires a man’s strength.
If there were other servants, they could do it... So I apologize for making you tend to the garden, future Master.
Or perhaps, now that you are all dressed up, do you wish to leave the mansion and find someone to fool, as the wolf did the sweet little girl?
Have you no interest in remaining in such a disheveled house?
×××××NT××××××××××
...Go on.
N×××××OT××WANT××××××LEAVE××××
Oh my... is that so? Hehehe.
If you wish to stay, then I shall not stop you.
On the contrary — I will gladly attend to you.
I am waiting for the person who is to become my master.
Forever waiting...
I should be able to watch over you until the day you depart this world, old and wrinkled.
Do you not believe me? Hehe...

××××W××××WILL××××××BE
I have to wonder if you know what you are saying.
Although it matters little whether you do or not...
Oh my, look at that...
Now this brings back memories. This is called a “rose.” Do you know what a rose is? It is a type of flower.
××××N-NOT××KN×××O×W××××
××DO××NOT××××KN×××××××KNOW××
I see. Then allow me to teach you.
What you have here is not a real rose. The real roses wilted and are sleeping in the soil.
This is called an “accessory”... It is something women wear.

Curiously, the white rose was just as stunning as it had been the day it was made, despite being buried in the earth for so many years.

I hear... roses make wonderful gifts. Hehehe...

He stared intently at the decorative rose. I had presumed the beast would either discard it disinterestedly or destroy it... but much to my surprise, Bestia held it gently in his hands, as though it were something precious to him.

Are you, perchance... considering giving it to me?
So you are not. Very well.
Is there someone else you would like to give it to?

In that moment, a thought floated through my mind. The thing I had found in a pool of blood in the cellar was a monstrous creature indeed, but perhaps that was not — at his core — what he truly was. So I asked him a question:

What is it that you desire, Bestia?
This mansion fulfills people’s desires. If you yearn for something —
××W-××××ANT××××××××

BGM: None

A beast! It’s a beast!
It’s eating goddamned sand... You really that hungry?
Beast! You foul creature!
Stay the hell back!
Get any closer —
Filthy beast!

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Hmm.. so judging from the date, "Bestia," and the vague contextual clues, the mansion is no longer in Great Britain. Now, I think, it's in what was formerly known as the Kingdom of Valencia, an eastern coastal region of Spain.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

witchcore ricepunk posted:

Hmm.. so judging from the date, "Bestia," and the vague contextual clues, the mansion is no longer in Great Britain. Now, I think, it's in what was formerly known as the Kingdom of Valencia, an eastern coastal region of Spain.

I was about to write that it's probably a fictional country since the new information does not fit England, but it's an interesting thought that it might not remain in the same place.

On a related note: 'Beauty and the Beast, but Beauty is a Vampire' sounds like a very, very good premise.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
No heirs, I guess Mell went to the priesthood after all.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Is the Maid actually a personification of the mansion? That's the sense I've been getting, and this update made it much stronger...

A house must be occupied, it must have a master, or else it becomes a strange thing and decays.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Hmm, so we’re going through a multitude of places as well as people (although I will admit to having missed that it was going to be many groups of people at first)? The description “now” doesn’t seem to match the description of the area during the “flaxen family”’s time, unless I missed a passing mention of the ocean then.

I wonder if anywhere The Maid stays eventually becomes the house, if that’s the case. Probably not. E: POOL IS CLOSED’s idea is probably most accurate. She seems to be part and parcel with the house itself.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
So a sort of denpire, then.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Is the Maid actually a personification of the mansion? That's the sense I've been getting, and this update made it much stronger...

A house must be occupied, it must have a master, or else it becomes a strange thing and decays.

Would or could "The Maid" be the same old consistent figure during the timestream or is some reincarnation involved?
Might be some massive karma debt involved with the mansion. There would always be a maid, a lord and a lady (and maybe some unhealthy relationship).

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Aaaaah, I didn't realize Prof started another LP! Hello, old crew, I've never even heard of this game before.

Chapter 1 went about the way I expected... although actually less dark, considering. The focus seems to be on the emotional pain there, rather than the physical it could have gone for. I actually feel quite bad for Nellie, since it seems like she felt extremely isolated. Although... all the maids are from good families, and it seems other highborn children were invited over to play when they were younger, and combine that with the birthday party and it feels like her parents were TRYING to throw socialization at her, although with an ulterior motive of marriage.

It's not like she didn't know her feelings for Mell were twisted and could never bear fruit. She even seemed to have researched incest and the punishments for it. Probably she would have grown out of it, as much as possible, but by deliberately playing up her immaturity to try and keep Mell close in a socially acceptable way, she drove him away and isolated herself further so that the only person she had was the person she was driving away. It's just messed up.

evergate
Jan 15, 2010
I won't throw out the possibility that The Maid is a, if not the original of Rose Manor, vampire, but I'm more in line with Clockwork and POOL: She has to be some kind of manifestation of the house, or at least the events that transpired there.

This really has been a fun, wild, and crazy ride so far. Can't wait to see how Bestia plays in everything.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

So are beast hunters going to ruin this guy, or something new?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I wonder what happened to Bestia. I was thinking he might be non-native and speaking another language...? But I don't think the Maid would have trouble interpreting what he's saying if he was speaking lucidly in another language, so maybe he was just mumbling and grunting. The fact that it's the tail end of a war might point to him having been a soldier that's seriously messed up by his experiences in the war.

I looked up the word bestia and despite the feminine ending, when used to mean a violent or stupid person it can refer to any gender, it's specifically gendered feminine only when talking about a literal animal.

EDIT: I don't think he's supposed to be literally nonhuman, since despite the obfuscated and monstrous portrait I interpreted the maid's description as him being a very messed up looking human. It'd also fit the theme in chapter one of the white-haired girl being perfectly human and normal, but because of a condition outside her control being interpreted as a monster or a witch by other people. So 'beast hunters' wouldn't work, but a mob coming for a 'dangerous lunatic' (who is, to be sure, actually dangerous given that bloody knife) would.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 20, 2018

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Bestia's character art is one of my favorite pieces, apropos of nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Whatever Bestia's deal is, they've clearly suffered.