Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The frequent nonsensical criticism 'aerial ping pong' is p much true of AFLX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Normally at this time of year I can’t get enough footy, last year I had a Saturday to myself and watched 2 AFLW games and 3 JLT games back to back.

This was just boring as poo poo and without any passion from the players or fans.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Solemn Sloth posted:

Normally at this time of year I can’t get enough footy, last year I had a Saturday to myself and watched 2 AFLW games and 3 JLT games back to back.

This was just boring as poo poo and without any passion from the players or fans.

Seriously this. If the players and coaches don't care, why should I? I've been all over the AFLW, that poo poo's fierce and I love footy. Apart from reminding me to stock up on zooper doopers I got nothing from tonight.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
It seems like the field is just too small for footy where you can kick towards the goal at any time. There was no real urgency or fighting moments because as soon as you got possession it wasn’t much to go for goal. This is my Opinion.

In my opinion they should put the focus on hell massive torpy’s by making it so you can’t be inside the 50 meter line if the ball isn’t in there or you don’t have the ball. Also put a metal hoop between the goalposts right at the top and if you get it through that it’s a Wagon Wheel and it’s worth 150 points and immediately ends the game

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Periphery nailed it with saying that the attacking footy just doesn't feel earned. It feels like an NBA all star game where its just all scoring and no defense. For similar reasons too, All Star game has players not wanting to get injured, not wanting to put real pressure on because the result doesn't matter. You get ridiculous scores you'd never get in a regular NBA game and its not in a "wow that is so cool they managed to score so much!" kind of way because the scoring doesn't feel earned when there is no real defense being offered. Here its that, but also because the result doesn't matter. So how can you really buy into it?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Periphery posted:

Except Gil was on before talking about how the lack of suitable grounds overseas is a key impediment to sending AFL overseas. The fact that it may be a fun little game to play with your mates on the weekend is not the key aim of this. The AFL clearly wants a game it can use to market footy overseas and thinks it needs to radically change to the game to do that.

However, I think most people have pretty quickly recognised that attacking footy is only exciting if you have to work for it. AFLX shifts the atk/def dial way too far in one direction and as such comes out as pretty one dimensional and bland. OF course I turned it off half way through so I'm not going off the biggest sample size, but I'll watch the Saints tomorrow night and reassess.

But thats my point, it isnt meant to be a spectacular battle, its meant to get people involved in actually playing which will translate to viewership of the actual game.

Watching it played on an actual soccer sized pitch does make me think it has a chance pulling people in. Its an immediate familiarity other countries will have and the general lack of congestion is much more akin to soccer then actual aussie rules games.

I have no idea if its actually going to work but the AFL will have to have put SOME money into research into the validity of it all.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Put a small 1m diameter hoop in the middle of the goal and a ball through it is a 'Wowzah' and is worth 20 points.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

A Monster Energy goal

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

If you kick a goal from a small arc where the corner post would be, that's a 'BLIMEY!' and is worth 40 points.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

NTRabbit posted:

A Monster Energy maximum

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
In other :catdrugs: AFL news, AFL Evolution is actually on sale on Steam.

As in 25% off, so it's still nearly AUD50, but anyway.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The Deadly Hume posted:

In other :catdrugs: AFL news, AFL Evolution is actually on sale on Steam.

As in 25% off, so it's still nearly AUD50, but anyway.

It’s not worth $50 imo

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Nutsngum posted:

But thats my point, it isnt meant to be a spectacular battle, its meant to get people involved in actually playing which will translate to viewership of the actual game.

Watching it played on an actual soccer sized pitch does make me think it has a chance pulling people in. Its an immediate familiarity other countries will have and the general lack of congestion is much more akin to soccer then actual aussie rules games.

I have no idea if its actually going to work but the AFL will have to have put SOME money into research into the validity of it all.

I just don't think that using a game that is so different from AFL, especially when it removes a side of the game that is so integral to the quality of the game, is a good idea when selling the game overseas. Not only could it make attracting people to the game harder (by selling a clearly inferior product), but it also means is that you have to convince someone that they like a sport two times (once for AFLX and once for AFL) instead of just selling them the great product we already have.

Clearly the AFL thinks the lack of grounds overseas is an issue, but there are other ways to sell the game internationally. I mean there are already small leagues in a lot of countries that have been established with very little AFL support. Why not help those out more or try and get AFL on in better TV spots overseas? Personally, I've always had the idea (although it's probably a stupid one) that the AFL should run a super bowl ad. I'd probably do a compare and contrast with NFL type thing without being obviously adversarial (more along the lines of your game is great but ours is also great). Bonus points if the AFL also played a game (with one of those awesome explain the rules to foreigner things before it) in the slot directly after the super bowl. Anyway that's my stupid idea.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

cmndstab posted:

So much for the Crows "playing to win" I guess.

Huh. How about that.

I thought it was fun to watch, but it's nothing more than a sideshow popcorn broadcast. Can't imagine people tuning in week after week. Three nights before the preseason comp is probably about right.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I thought it looked like it would be fun to play but it was super boring to watch

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
There's a decent number of domestic cricket grounds in sa and India, reckon we could by just whacking some goal posts in

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Congratulations on being one of the lucky members selected to enjoy an exclusive match day experience to be a part of the Guard of Honour as the girls run out onto the field on Saturday night!

:toot:

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

hiddenmovement posted:

There's a decent number of domestic cricket grounds in sa and India, reckon we could by just whacking some goal posts in

By 'international' the AFL mean China and USA. Heavens forbid they try it places where you might actually get a field to play on.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The AFL tried to claim a crowd of 10k at Hindmarsh last night, but I've seen photos of all the stands, and there were noticeably less people there than an Adelaide United game I went to see which only had a crowd of 6k

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

NTRabbit posted:

The AFL tried to claim a crowd of 10k at Hindmarsh last night, but I've seen photos of all the stands, and there were noticeably less people there than an Adelaide United game I went to see which only had a crowd of 6k

Stole Vince’s idea of the XFL, why not steal fluffing crowd numbers too

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Given that international markets, (China, India, US, wherever), will most likely not care about the sport nor will people be clamoring to play a bowdlerized version of a foreign game merely because they have a ground shaped for it , I would posit that AFLX is less about getting them to care or watch proper AFL, and more about giving cable providers in these markets product to fill their 24 hour sports channels.

Although if that truly was the intention, then why not just sell them actual AFL, or AFL highlights? I seem to remember them doing something similar to this a while back. This would get eyes on the product, is easier to sell, ("hey look at this weird game Australians play, isn't it exciting and fun?" etc.), and would translate a lot better to getting people into actually watching and playing AFL seriously.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
A lot of people in the US talk about watching the VFL on ESPN back in the day, surely the AFL could look at putting it back up on one of their sports channels for the US audience again? At a guess I'd say nostalgia alone would get a bump in viewership out the gate.

Disclaimer: I have no idea if the AFL has actually been trying to do this in the last few decades or not

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

ESPN's name was more or less made up early by broadcasting weird-as-poo poo (to yanks) sports like VFL before they started getting taken seriously and getting decent deals. It's kind of been on the outer since they got bought by Disney and and the major leagues getting more into direct streaming, though.

When the VFL did try playing exhibition games it was usually on baseball diamonds (I think when they held them in Miami and Tokyo this was the case) - it made for a really weird shaped field for footy but at least the dimensions were such that you could play it properly with three decent kicks needed to go from goal to goal.

Thing is there's also a bit of cricket propagandising happening in the US and China in fits and starts so it's possible that the AFL could piggyback on the back of that.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

snaeksikn posted:

A lot of people in the US talk about watching the VFL on ESPN back in the day, surely the AFL could look at putting it back up on one of their sports channels for the US audience again? At a guess I'd say nostalgia alone would get a bump in viewership out the gate.

Disclaimer: I have no idea if the AFL has actually been trying to do this in the last few decades or not

Fox got the rights here a while back. It was on FS2, a channel not a ton of people get but not inaccessible. Showed a good amount of matches every week. They've now moved it to a channel that basically no one has...Fox Soccer Plus I think? Not even sure thst normal people can get it, just bars. Basically proving they don't give a gently caress about anyone in the states ever seeing it on tv.

When I first started watching in 2011 ESPN still had the rights and it fuckin owned. Couple live matches every weekend plus on demand on the ESPN app.

mactheknife fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Feb 16, 2018

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Once more it's just teams pinging the goals from 40 odd out. At least it's just Melbourne because Carlton will probably still be a bit poo poo

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Boundary commentator says "who cares what Australians think, it's all about the international audiences"

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

At least the new clash strips look good

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Crying ginger lad after the Essendon v Melbourne game spotted in the crowd. Surprised he isn’t crying again because of AFLX

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yay Hawks. Early shift tomorrow though so that’s enough AFLx with the next game not til 9

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Surely if the AFL wanted to make this mean *something* they’d have an extra night of finals games next week. Rather than have 3 grand finals, the top 2 teams from each night (eg Adelaide and Geelong from last night) play the following week to a single grand final?

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Lol Norf looks like they picked about their best possible team

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Reckon they would have been better off getting a bunch of properly old retired players to do it, wouldve been a far better novelty for us viewers and it would have shown the game as it is intended to be played, aka by people that cant run hard all that hard and struggle to kick 30 meters.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Turns out north fans not only exist, they are the stupidest people alive.

https://twitter.com/fionakenndal/status/964428196484493313

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid
Shane Savage is the Zooper king.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

Turns out north fans not only exist, they are the stupidest people alive.

https://twitter.com/fionakenndal/status/964428196484493313
dafuq

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Keep Gawn in the commentary box for the season I reckon

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

I'd prefer to keep him on the field

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Hopefully he turns to commentary after he retires in 10 years time with 5 premierships as a one club player

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Jake Melksham, the greatest AFLX player of all time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

This still counts as having beaten north right?