Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don't care too much who wins the ROY but I'm looking at the stats and Simmons has better numbers except in TS% where they are tied. I've barely seen Mitchell play but the games I saw he was an undisciplined chucker who didn't add anything to defense.

If you want to do narrative instead just do narrative though that doesn't make sense to me either. It's a narrative award based on a small cabal of basketball reporters talking to themselves on podcasts.

Edit

Mitchell has a better obpm too

euphronius fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Feb 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Toronto has increased their 3pa by 33% over last year. That's really impressive considering the roster is somewhat stable.

Assists are up 26.8%.

FTA are down 10.5% which makes sense.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

They're taking an allstar vacation together!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

G-Hawk posted:

lovable fan favorites chris paul

:thunk:

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

ROY is actually Cedi, you fools

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

AggressivelyStupid posted:

ROY is actually Cedi, you fools

in Jeff Van Gundy's heart, he is.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

MelancholyMark posted:

Um his efg% on the season is 51% on 19.5 ppg after starting off the season slow. Jimmy Butler is averaging 22.4 on an efg% of 52%, is he also overhyped?

I mean if you wanna look at PER or WS Simmons is better but Donovan's USG is also 29% compared to his 23%.

USG% is a dumb stat to compare when Ben Simmons literally LEADS THE LEAGUE in touches per game. And he's behind only Westbrook, Harden, Wall, Walker, and Lillard in time of possession.

https://twitter.com/MWhittington13/status/963828509604016128

Also, we learned last year how important triple doubles are, and Ben has the most of any rookie since Magic and Oscar, therefore,

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Stevie Lee posted:

Also, we learned last year how important triple doubles are, and Ben has the most of any rookie since Magic and Oscar, therefore,

Last night hardly counts unless this wasn't credited as an assist

https://youtu.be/uxSWUlm29CA?t=2m3

go to 2:03 if the timestamp didn't work.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Stevie Lee posted:

, we learned last year how important triple doubles are,

we certainly did :eng99:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kyrie doesn't even own a TV, thank's.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Kyrie owns I wish he was on my team.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

zoux posted:

Kyrie doesn't even own a TV, thank's.
Speaking of Kyrie,
https://twitter.com/kindekuma/status/964018186449387520

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

G-Hawk posted:

your houston rockets are top of the league

get on the board the bandwagon, we have lovable fan favorites chris paul and james harden to root for against the great evil

Congrats on being in position to lose to okc in the second round

EvanTH posted:

have you guys noticed that when KD was on OKC they would win every time he scored 50+ but with GSW (against whom he has his highest ever single game score) he loses every time he scores more than 40? pretty weird right

It's because instead of having one of the most clutch players in the league as a teammate he has a bunch of weak minded chuckers who melt down when things don't go their way

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
i want to rewatch blazers warriors just to hear bill. i fell asleep too soon

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/taniaganguli/status/963983498007793666

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I wish there was a 24/7 stream of Bill Walton color commentary

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Wait what?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

RCarr posted:

Wait what?

lmao Rondo made fun of him for not getting a celtics tribute video

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
This is all just collateral damage from the Starbury Shakespearean sabotage operation.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Brolander posted:

I made edit of the first quarter. I would have done the whole game, but then it wouldn't be an "edit" in any meaningful sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMhJ9zg5cd0

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GABBZ8MJ_zc

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Brolander posted:

Here’s a highlight reel of Bill I saw on reddit this morning:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=g94JDEu-STA

I don’t know if it leaves anything good out, I didn’t watch the game. It definitely brightened my morning up.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

dokmo posted:

I made edit of the first quarter. I would have done the whole game, but then it wouldn't be an "edit" in any meaningful sense.

lmao

Bill Walton: Jusuf Nurkic! That's a big dude out there! That's the best I've ever seen him play!
Dave Pasch: This is the first time you've ever seen him play.
Bill Walton: Both of those things are correct.

e: "Defensive three seconds? They still have that rule?"

Stevie Lee fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 15, 2018

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

lol at rondo clearly getting caught up in his feelings about IT for this long

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Salvor_Hardin posted:

This is all just collateral damage from the Starbury Shakespearean sabotage operation.

Howy poo poo I forgot about this. Didnt starbury sign with the Celts then fuckoff to China?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

This is the funniest thing I've ever read

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Metapod posted:

It's because instead of having one of the most clutch players in the league as a teammate he has a bunch of weak minded chuckers who melt down when things don't go their way

haha thank you for throwing down the oop

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
https://twitter.com/sixers/status/964158587667996673

Dario is the best

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Wow, they're right, I sure would like to be that GIF for the rest of my life. The internet has made everyone's brains soft and useless

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The way that Doc reached the Celtics was an application of "us vs the world, this is an extreme brotherhood, there is no tomorrow, this game is what matters" which worked well and got a lot out of a team of vets known to have bad attitudes who were at the end of their run. Unfortunately for Rondo that was the beginning of his run and he's never been able to shift to having a somewhat neutral mentality and he is still basically in 2008 Celtics mode constantly, which you can't totally blame him for since he doesn't have anything else. But it's still extremely funny he's fighting Isaiah Thomas on the Lakers because of comments he made on the Cavs about a tribute video.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Howy poo poo I forgot about this. Didnt starbury sign with the Celts then fuckoff to China?

I mean he's basically Chinese basketball Paul Bunyan in terms of cultural stature so "loving off" isn't really accurate.

But yeah.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Cool Buff Man posted:

Wow, they're right, I sure would like to be that GIF for the rest of my life. The internet has made everyone's brains soft and useless

TV did that decades ago, the internet is just a chewing of the cud

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

dokmo posted:

This is everything I hoped it would be.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The Celtics winning that one championship in the 2000s really fueled a lot of insufferable personalities, careers, and the sort of "I only won one but ima act like I won four" type of grandstanding.
Might as well have just made that one another for the Chauncey Pistons or even Adam Morrison. They keep it low key. Would've saved the Clippers, IT, every team that has subsequently ever signed Rondo, and the league a lot of grief.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Rick posted:

The way that Doc reached the Celtics was an application of "us vs the world, this is an extreme brotherhood, there is no tomorrow, this game is what matters" which worked well and got a lot out of a team of vets known to have bad attitudes who were at the end of their run. Unfortunately for Rondo that was the beginning of his run and he's never been able to shift to having a somewhat neutral mentality and he is still basically in 2008 Celtics mode constantly, which you can't totally blame him for since he doesn't have anything else. But it's still extremely funny he's fighting Isaiah Thomas on the Lakers because of comments he made on the Cavs about a tribute video.

Was Doc Rivers just a luckier Mark Jackson all along.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Punkin Spunkin posted:

The Celtics winning that one championship in the 2000s really fueled a lot of insufferable personalities, careers, and the sort of "I only won one but ima act like I won four" type of grandstanding.
Might as well have just made that one another for the Chauncey Pistons or even Adam Morrison. They keep it low key. Would've saved the Clippers, IT, every team that has subsequently ever signed Rondo, and the league a lot of grief.

So is it a lot or is it one person or is this just a way to make yourself feel great about the Spurs winning a lot of titles in recent NBA history. Your message is a little muddy

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

cisneros posted:

Was Doc Rivers just a luckier Mark Jackson all along.

Maybe, although the common denominator for this Clippers team that is somehow 500 is Doc. It's hard to tell what coaching does and if Dokmo posts insider info about him playing Minesweeper on a Windows 98 laptop every second a camera isn't him I wouldn't be shocked but I feel like if coaching is a thing, getting a team of misfits to play 500 ball is probably something.

Rick fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 15, 2018

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
Really loving lame:

https://twitter.com/WillGuillory/status/964184232154357762

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Brolander posted:

At the end of the game when the Warriors were intentionally fouling, at least twice Dave Pasch called out the shooter's FT percentage ("Aminu is an 80% FT shooter"), followed a second later by Walton, completely serious, asking how well this guy shoots free throws. It was beautiful.

Also Bill incorrectly called out Sean Elliott's Memorial Day Miracle as beating the Lakers. C'mon Bill, the team he beat is right there in front of you!

(His heel was down, by the way. Wrong call.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

They better sit AD for at least one of those games or he's going to explode

• Locked thread