Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I assume its more that you're a moron if you decide to spend your money by starting a wrestling promotion.

Like, do most new bars fail because bars make their owners stupid or because their owners were too stupid to recognize that most new bars fail? If you're making major financial decisions based on your personal hobbies its probably not going to end well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I wonder if there is like a gypsy curse on wrestling where if you ever start a promotion your intelligence is halved

considering all the poo poo you have to go through just to get the talent, date and building aligned for the first show, and knowing you're losing money, its not magic.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

STAC Goat posted:

I assume its more that you're a moron if you decide to spend your money by starting a wrestling promotion.

Like, do most new bars fail because bars make their owners stupid or because their owners were too stupid to recognize that most new bars fail? If you're making major financial decisions based on your personal hobbies its probably not going to end well.

Well yeah, but there are so many obviously terrible things they do along the line

It would be like someone starting a bar where everything is Milwaukee's Best or stale old Yuengling and being like "this is the future of taverns"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just doubt there's very many fledgeling wrestling promotors who go into it with a well thought out business plan or a mind of smart business moves. And that's before they meet all the conmen and scumbags in the industry.

Deciding to get into wrestling doesn't cause you to make poor decisions. Its just one of the poor decisions you've been making all along.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 13, 2018

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Starting a wrestling company is just one of those things that doesn’t happen to non wrestling fans.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

the ultimate path of nearly every wrestling company is that its management is either replaced with uncaring assholes or they become uncaring assholes that kill their own good works. Both ROH, TNA and WWE have skirted around the ultimate demise by applying varying degrees of immense wealth to keep the doors open.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

One eventually gets the idea that the very notion of professional wrestling is a toxic shithole that should be burned to the ground.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

The Ellsworth stuff was the first stuff to really get me interested in Billy NWA since I'd literally never heard of any other wrestler involved.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

OLD SCHOOL Jim Cornette boner wrestling.

This is basically what I like, and Ellsworth fighting from underneath, selling his rear end off, overcoming the odds, and most importantly having matches that are based on that sort of psychology instead of on work rate, is exactly what I'd like to see, and all things he is able to do.

Way more interesting to me than new NWA champ #2 you've never heard of going on a tour of matches that are pretending the NWA title being on a show will pop a local house like in the territory days. Even though there is no drama at all because you know regional promotion homer #6 is never going to win the title.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Sub Rosa posted:

The Ellsworth stuff was the first stuff to really get me interested in Billy NWA since I'd literally never heard of any other wrestler involved.

If you aren't a Stormer, you can :frogout:

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
I hope Tommy Dreamer becomes the new NWA Champ

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

it is time for another amusing Billy Corgan story

https://twitter.com/Steven_Hyden/status/963487055354396672

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Remember that time when Billy Corgan got Pavement kicked out of Lollapalooza in 1994 because he got mad about one of their songs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VVj1zqbWpU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

RZApublican posted:

Remember that time when Billy Corgan got Pavement kicked out of Lollapalooza in 1994 because he got mad about one of their songs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VVj1zqbWpU

yes and I'm still upset about it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
lol

https://www.stereogum.com/1128662/billy-corgan-says-soundgarden-pavement-came-back-only-to-make-money/wheres-the-beef/

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Is the NWA doing anything during Wrestlemania weekend? Not that they'd be able to do much with a roster of three regulars, but are they leaching onto some other show to do a title match? It'd be very much in line with the rest of the run so far to just forget to plan anything for it.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Phenix Rising posted:

Is the NWA doing anything during Wrestlemania weekend? Not that they'd be able to do much with a roster of three regulars, but are they leaching onto some other show to do a title match? It'd be very much in line with the rest of the run so far to just forget to plan anything for it.

the "Aldis Crusade" has no announced dates between Philadelphia on March 24th and Wenzhou on April 14th so I'm assuming they've kept those dates open for Wrestlemania weekend.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/nwa/status/963980987184037888

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Magnus isn't all that big a guy himself. How loving small is this Ellsworth guy?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Jocephus vs NWA World's Heavyweight Champion James Elsworth in a Triple Cage Match Mania weekend plz

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

that announcer's loving face

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

DJExile posted:

Magnus isn't all that big a guy himself. How loving small is this Ellsworth guy?

Magnus is billed at 6'3 240 so he's a pretty big dude even if his stats are inflated.

While looking up that info I discovered that he is married to Mickie James, which I didn't know. Now I am all aboard the Magnus Train.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Bigass Moth posted:

Now I am all aboard the Magnus Train.

My dude you gotta get off that train

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bigass Moth posted:

Magnus is billed at 6'3 240 so he's a pretty big dude even if his stats are inflated.

While looking up that info I discovered that he is married to Mickie James, which I didn't know. Now I am all aboard the Magnus Train.

huh, well then. I remember him being smaller but he was in british invasion with Rob FREEEEEEEEEAK Terry for so long and everyone looked small next to him.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

What is Doug Williams up to because he was way better than Magnus imho

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Oh tons. He carried a LOT of matches.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Still does good work, mostly in London indies now including Progress

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ2qW4tMGQs

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Tim Storm was putting on five star matches relative to that Ellsworth match.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Give Doug Williams the belt

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Match would be right at home on Monday Night Raw.

That's not a compliment.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Baron Corbyn posted:

Wenzhou on April 14th

wait, what?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
what the merciful gently caress is Billy doing taking his promotion to loving CHINA

no, seriously, does he even have the money for that? is this gonna be his guys or is he just mailing a NWA banner to some Chinese indie for them to put up in the hopes of making another Ho Ho Lun meme

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
"China is an untapped market! Endless opportunity!"
- 1000's of lovely businessmen

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

what the merciful gently caress is Billy doing taking his promotion to loving CHINA

no, seriously, does he even have the money for that? is this gonna be his guys or is he just mailing a NWA banner to some Chinese indie for them to put up in the hopes of making another Ho Ho Lun meme

His promotion is 1 guy and a belt.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

if billy puts the belt on a chinese wrestler in hopes of getting that market i will forgive him for taking the belt off tim storm

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Aphrodite posted:

His promotion is 1 guy and a belt.

no, seriously, does he even have the money to fly himself and that guy to China

transcontinental flights are Not Cheap

e: also, does he like, have the connections to even promote a loving event in China? i'm pretty sure you need to grease the government's palms to do anything there

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Haven't all his matches been on someone else's card?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
does China even loving have wrestling other than Ho Ho Lun and his dudes

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
like, seriously, what in the actual hell is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

wwn ran a tour of china like four years ago it was cool