Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I mean, do you really beat MonHun

This one has a story and credits but i guess you could play forever if you dont have othr stuff to play. Ive neglected every game to finish it so im ready to be done for a while and just maybe hop into some late night parties here or there as the free dlc comes out
Gotta play more dbz and get amped for bayo 2

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

Why did your mom give you something on Valentine's Day?

I do not think that this is so uncommon as you think.. Most people give little things to family and friends on Valentine's Day, it's just we keep the sex toys and fancy underwear limited to a much more specific subset of these groups.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I got chocolate from my mom and theres no subset of her im buying that stuff for tho

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Sojiro gives chocolate to Joker on Valentine's

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

a shame the thread didn't hit page 69 on valentines

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

[sojiroishly] lemme explain ...

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I beat Subnautica! So good. Early GotY contender

Though now that I know its tricks and secrets I imagine a replay won’t be as enjoyable as the first time (going in blind is 100% the way to do it), but regardless I’m going to consider doing an ironman run with even lower brightness this weekend

Games... are good!!

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
What time does the Nintendo Electronic Shop release things? I don't think I've ever bought a digital title on launch from them.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

oddium posted:

[sojiroishly] lemme explain ...

:eng101: Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee undergoes a rigorous inspection process and is harvested in small quantities. This produces a rich coffee with a full aroma.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

p5 is so good

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm have a lot of trouble with a new mechanic you have to do in the second level's B-side of Celeste. You have to like... jump out of the air after dashing through the space...water. But I can't consistently do it. Sometimes it seems I can do it over and over and sometimes I can't get it to work at all. How does this move work?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Endorph I think a lot of your unhappiness with P5 comes from misreading the thesis (though not all of it this is entirely separate from the gay jokes). The game's thesis isn't "social justice is good", a message which you correctly point out it flubs constantly. The thesis is "authority is bad", a message which it only flubs at the very end (which did piss me off). Authority figures making things worse is the running theme through the palaces and most of the S links.

The game goes out of its way to show us that accepting authority even with the best of intentions will corrupt you and make you hurt people (Sae). The only way to avoid this is to completely abdicate your authority and choose not to exercise it (Sojiro, Kawakami, Makoto). Ultimately the final boss is God because there's no higher authority than that.

It's a big game with lots of moving parts so not literally everything is about this (many Mementos requests are about random poo poo iirc) but that's my read of the game. It's a full endorsement of anarchism, the characters just never make that leap themselves to say it out loud.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 15, 2018

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Macaluso posted:

I'm have a lot of trouble with a new mechanic you have to do in the second level's B-side of Celeste. You have to like... jump out of the air after dashing through the space...water. But I can't consistently do it. Sometimes it seems I can do it over and over and sometimes I can't get it to work at all. How does this move work?

I think you need to be holding to the side + the jump button as you exit the goop. maybe? You have to do it so quickly that i was never really sure on the timing, you might be able to get away with just tapping them at the same time as you exit.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Discussion prompt: what’s the worst game you kinda like?

Fallout 4

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

Fallout 4

Hyperdimension Neptunia. The original one for PS3. That game is awful and I still played the entire thing for some reason and enjoyed it more than some actually good games

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I played 15 minutes of the radiant historia demo, skipping all the dialogue so I could get a sense for the battle system. I see a 9x9 battle network style set up and then they show off a delay/push system for enemy combos and I turned it off and bought it :cheers:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Jay Rust posted:

Fallout 4

If I hit the Powerball we're getting a WET 2.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

Fallout 4

Michigan: Report From Hell. It's in that history of primordial walking sims and it has a hilariously underused morality mechanic but drat if it isn't a rad game.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Either Fallout 3 or Xenobalde X. Both games have a bunch of stupid poo poo surrounding them, but there's something I enjoy just exploring their worlds.

XBX probably has the edge since it doesn't have the subway tunnels.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I finished the 4th stage in Celeste last night and thought the thing that happened at the end in the gondola was really cool. For something so difficult it's very endearing. It just wish playing it didn't make my hands hurt.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Man the SoM remake is so cheap looking, I guess they had to take the Vita version into account but that still no excuse for making it look like an upscaled PS1 game

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

Fallout 4

Drakengard 3 though I actually love that game

If we're only going as far as kinda like, probably Gravity Rush 2

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Macaluso posted:

You've got the right idea, jumping out of the dream blocks as you jet through. The timing is pretty tight but you'll feel like a huge badass once you start nailing it consistently

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Jay Rust posted:

Fallout 4

probably killer is dead

kind of a weird mashup of no more heroes and killer7 that fails to reach the level of either and has a sex pervert minigame you have to play to get new guns

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

glam rock hamhock posted:

Drakengard 3 though I actually love that game

If we're only going as far as kinda like, probably Gravity Rush 2

Oh man I forgot about Gravity Rush, that's another "fun to explore, despite a lot of other problems" game.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Jay Rust posted:

Crusader Kings 2. It's "waiting for RNG events to trigger, the game" which is an absolutely garbage mechanic to build a game around, and yet, there's nothing like it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'd say Xenoblade Chronicles X, but only because other people think it's bad (and are wrong). It certainly has flaws like a cool setting that is totally underserved by a weak story and mech combat being kinda lame, but that doesn't outweigh everything I liked about it.

For actual trash game I'm ashamed to like, Onechanbara Z2 Chaos. It's pure schlock, has not even an inch of depth, and the bosses are awful, but it has an earnest goofiness to it, the voice acting and localization are exactly what they should be, and the basic mowing down dudes combat has a satisfying crunchiness that makes it fun to just do an occasional kill 600 guys mission and turn your brain off for a bit.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 15, 2018

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Jay Rust posted:

Fallout 4

There was this Eye of the Beholder-like game that Westwood made called Lands of Lore. It was pretty well regarded, but they made a sequel called Guardians of Destiny that is pretty much nothing like the first game and is a weird first person rpg/adventure game hybrid with a whole lot of bad green screened actors. Its not well regarded and is objectively pretty terrible but its one of my all time faves.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Fallout 4

They're very janky but I have a huge soft spot for the Lost Kingdoms games, From's entry into the deckbuilding genre

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It seems strange to me to consider CKII a bad game, especially now that you can selectively remove mechanics that you don't like.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Fallout 4

Probably Knack.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Oblivion is the my favorite "bad" game though i maintain that for its time its not a bad game at all.

It sure does have a lot of problems though.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Naming Bethesda games is almost cheating here

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

Fallout 4

Dragon's dogma
E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Jay Rust posted:

Fallout 4
Dragon Ball Z: Legend of the Super Saiyan for the SNES. It's not a great JRPG and it has a weird card based system, but as a DBZ fan I like some of the weird things you can do in it to change the story, and I like how they're mostly tied to the gameplay.

Like if you want characters to survive battles that killed them in the show, instead of doing some annoying convoluted sidequest to save them you just play smart in the battles that killed them in the show so you win.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jay Rust posted:

Fallout 4

Destiny 2. The shooter aspect of it is still second to none despite all its other problems.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Endorph I think a lot of your unhappiness with P5 comes from misreading the thesis (though not all of it this is entirely separate from the gay jokes). The game's thesis isn't "social justice is good", a message which you correctly point out it flubs constantly. The thesis is "authority is bad", a message which it only flubs at the very end (which did piss me off). Authority figures making things worse is the running theme through the palaces and most of the S links.

The game goes out of its way to show us that accepting authority even with the best of intentions will corrupt you and make you hurt people (Sae). The only way to avoid this is to completely abdicate your authority and choose not to exercise it (Sojiro, Kawakami, Makoto). Ultimately the final boss is God because there's no higher authority than that.

It's a big game with lots of moving parts so not literally everything is about this (many Mementos requests are about random poo poo iirc) but that's my read of the game. It's a full endorsement of anarchism, the characters just never make that leap themselves to say it out loud.
but authority is bad to me because of the way it marginalizes oppressed people, and the game also marginalizes oppressed people or ignores them, and by being a triple A game with a ton of money poured into it persona 5 is itself a symbol of 'authority' in the way that it muscles out of a lot of smaller titles and dominates discussion, which might be an unfair point but i dont think a million dollar game made by a billion dollar company is ever going to be 'full anarchy now'

more than that the game constantly spends time making excuses for authority or ignoring reasons why authority is bad (see: all the time spent whitewashing haru's dad)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Fallout 4
persona 5

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Wait no I'm changing my answer to Jet Force Gemini

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

In Training posted:

I played 15 minutes of the radiant historia demo, skipping all the dialogue so I could get a sense for the battle system. I see a 9x9 battle network style set up and then they show off a delay/push system for enemy combos and I turned it off and bought it :cheers:
Radiant Historia owns

So much so that I don't remember a single loving thing about the story, which is usually why I play jrpgs. The battle system is that good

• Locked thread