Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Kaglicious posted:

I'm a rhinos season ticket holder and the general feeling I've gathered is we're all suspecting to get slaughtered tomorrow morning.

I'll just take us not getting humiliated to be honest.

Most likely outcome.

But then again Pre season nrl side with a new halves combo versus a more match fit Rhinos. Maybe just humilation then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaglicious
Mar 31, 2011
10 handling errors in the opening 20 minutes of this Hull KR vs Catalans game.

Super League :yayclod:

e: 11 in 21

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Is the pitch a potato field?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I guess there's some griping about the Rhino sponsorship of the balls this year

https://twitter.com/RLPA13/status/961704066840715266

Kaglicious
Mar 31, 2011

Rastor posted:

I guess there's some griping about the Rhino sponsorship of the balls this year

https://twitter.com/RLPA13/status/961704066840715266

There was talk about the ball being rubbish at times last season on the BBC but i'm guessing the players have decided to really kick up a stink about it early this season.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Change to the stripping rule this season - now it doesn't matter in a 1 on 1 strip of there previously was another player in contact.

I like it, sensible change.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Well that was unexpected

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Well I think that club challenge match went about how people were predicting, I do think it wasn't quite as one sided as the score would make it seem

Kaglicious
Mar 31, 2011
Well that went as expected, good to see my fears of having no kicking game is true with mcguire and burrow gone. :negative:

Honestly we haven't played at all well yet this season despite winning twice so hopefully it gives us a much needed kick up the arse, we'd have lost against any other team other than Hull KR for instance.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

well the yearly billy slater injury came early this season

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

what the gently caress did they do to the nrl website

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Puckish Rogue posted:

what the gently caress did they do to the nrl website

Takes a very expensive consultancy firm to gently caress up a site that badly.

Speaking of fuckups, decently strong looking Warriors trial team trailing early v what is an entirely reserve grade or less Storm team in the trial

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
My god a crackdown on poo poo play the balls. Will last until round 6

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

MiniSune posted:

My god a crackdown on poo poo play the balls. Will last until round 6

Round 6? You must be new, round 2 at most.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Smorgasbord posted:

Round 6? You must be new, round 2 at most.

Round 2? You must be new, game 2 at most.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Well this wasn't in the script.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Remember Etene Nanai-Seturo, the teenager caught in a tug-of-war between the New Zealand Rugby Union and the Warriors? Well, NZ Rugby has nabbed him.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Who would want to play for the worrier?

Come on Hull, don't let the Dragons win. Also lol, my phone autocorrects Dragons to Stains.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Good showing by Hull, hardly embarrassing.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Henry Perenara doing a good job cementing his reputation as the worst ref

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-2018-trials-storm-v-warriors/news-story/736405e60eb57e2691bb80d4536cb317 posted:

Josh Reynolds stars as Wests Tigers stun North Queensland Cowboys in drama-filled trial

BARLOW Park was plunged into darkness just prior to kick-off and when the lights came on it was all black and gold as Josh Reynolds made a bright start to life at the Wests Tigers in Cairns on Saturday night.

The pre-game focus centred on the returns from injury of Cowboys co-captains Johnathan Thurston and Matt Scott but was some new faces at the Tigers in 2018 who stole the show in their side’s convincing 30-16 win.

The kick-off to the match was delayed by 45 minutes after a citywide blackout raised doubts as to whether the game could even go ahead and with 10 minutes left torrential rain lashed the ground and sent fans scurrying to all corners.

But the weather anomalies couldn’t take away from an impressive Wests Tigers display driven by a powerful performance from their forward pack and finished off by Reynolds and fellow off-season recruit, former Bulldog Corey Thompson.

Thompson scored the opening try of the night after Reynolds latched onto an offload from Esan Marsters and shifted to the right and he scored a second again after good lead-up work by Reynolds midway through the second half, Thompson’s speed and brilliant footwork too much for the Cowboys defence close to the line.

Having led 10-4 at halftime the Tigers scored three quick tries through Tyson Gamble, Taane Milne and Thompson to open up a 20-point lead and effectively put the game out of the Cowboys reach, promising young half Jake Clifford and lock forward John Asiata crossing late to bolster North Queensland’s tally.

The combination of Reynolds with Luke Brooks in the halves and also Tuimoala Lolohea at fullback gave the Tigers impressive attacking potency that provided chances for the likes of Marsters, Milne and Thompson out wide.

But the most pleasing aspect for coach Ivan Cleary will have been the display of a forward pack missing Ben Matulino, Russell Packer, Chris McQueen and Elijah Taylor.

Veteran Tim Grant ripped in from the outset, JJ Felise was both industrious and impactful and towering prop Matt Eisenhuth proved a handful for the Cowboys defence. Josh Aloiai took a power of stopping and giant young prop Tom Mikaele showed why he is predicted to have a bright future in the NRL with some strong carries and clever offloads.

The only slight sour note for the Tigers was the sin-binning of Mahe Fonua 12 minutes from full-time for backchatting the referees, a display of ill-discipline that Cleary will ensure is not repeated in future.

The Cowboys were cruelled by the crackdown in the play-the-ball — conceding five penalties for ruck offences while in possession — but achieved their main objective of getting co-captains Matt Scott and Johnathan Thurston back on the field.

Scott played just the first 20 minutes in his return from an ACL injury while Thurston got through the first half before he too was rested, a couple of rusty passes — one of which led directly to a try for Tigers winger Malakai Watene-Zelezniak — and some brilliant footwork for Coen Hess’s try all he needed to prepare for next Friday’s testimonial match at Suncorp Stadium.

Wests Tigers 30 (Corey Thompson 2, Malakai Watene-Zelezniak, Tyson Gamble, Taane Milne, David Nofoaluma tries; Tuimoala Lolohea 2, Esan Marsters goals) def. North Queensland Cowboys 16 (Coen Hess, Jake Clifford, John Asiata tries; Clifford 2 goals) at Barlow Park, Cairns.

At it again, building false hope.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

MiniSune posted:

At it again, building false hope.

:unsmith:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Such sweet false hope

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
I momentarily thought it was referring to a court case involving Josh Reynolds as the defendant. Is this a normal, or am I dumb?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Stupid newbie question:

What is the difference between this style of field painting:

And this style (with some of the horizontal hashes being between the 10 meter lines instead of touching them):

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
I think its just a visual guide at the end of the day.

IIRC the outside ones are the tap restarts from a kick to touch, and the inner ones are the scrum limits.

The offset may be preferred, but some groundsmen may have trouble doing said offset so the other way might be ok too? Or its an old way / new way thing as the nrl loves to tinker.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Part of me wants to say the NRL didn't even notice that the groundskeeper was drunk and just hosed up.

There's probably some weird reason connected to the Bunker or focus groups or something.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

also i have 2 more teams to finish off and i'm done, but I have to head out to work :'(

i swear i'll finish this thing soon

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

ok i finally finished the loving thing, time to get drunk

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3849946

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Every time the Knights start a new transition period it starts with beating Manly

• Locked thread