Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Expect My Mom posted:

Radiant Historia owns

So much so that I don't remember a single loving thing about the story, which is usually why I play jrpgs. The battle system is that good
Radiant Historia actually has a good story, its really helped by the fact that the cast aren't a bunch of bumbling morons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i dunno, i thought the two recruits who work under stocke were tremendously moronic

maybe that's just because their in-battle skills sucked compared to your alternatives though

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I will always speak highly of Radiata Stories. It's a dumb anime fantasy game where the protagonist is a huge dork that everyone dumps on but he wrecks everyone because he's the protagonist of a video game.

PLOT DEVICE: If the apocalypse dragon awakens then the world will be doomed!

Jack Russell: He's dead. I just killed him.

There's also a dedicated kick button and every NPC has a reaction.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Update: my MHW got here safe and sound. The post office just forgot to scan it as delivered and because I have to pick stuff up from the office, I sort of need that confirmation to know it got here

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Jay Rust posted:

Discussion prompt: what’s the worst game you kinda like?

Fallout 4

Definitely Folklore

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Jay Rust posted:

Fallout 4

probably captain rainbow tbh

game's soured me on a lot the further i've played because it only becomes more apparent how limited it is and how much of it is padded out because of that, but i still wanna see it through to the end cause the writing is so bizarre and sometimes results in something amazing

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 15, 2018

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Jay Rust posted:

Fallout 4

Love me some SNES Anamaniacs

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

but authority is bad to me because of the way it marginalizes oppressed people, and the game also marginalizes oppressed people or ignores them, and by being a triple A game with a ton of money poured into it persona 5 is itself a symbol of 'authority' in the way that it muscles out of a lot of smaller titles and dominates discussion, which might be an unfair point but i dont think a million dollar game made by a billion dollar company is ever going to be 'full anarchy now'

more than that the game constantly spends time making excuses for authority or ignoring reasons why authority is bad (see: all the time spent whitewashing haru's dad)

Persona 5 dislikes authority for a different reason than you do which is a valid complaint but I think, outside of the ending, it communicates and stands by its intended message well, even if that's not the message you would like it to have

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Colonel posted:

probably captain rainbow tbh

game's soured me on a lot the further i've played because it only becomes more apparent how limited it is and how much of it is padded out because of that, but i still wanna see it through to the end cause the writing is so bizarre and sometimes results in something amazing

This 2 star Amazon Japan review is the most "customers felt helpful" and basically hits every point you mentioned.

quote:

I like chill games. I started having fun at the beginning as I felt I could do whatever I like at my own pace without being bound by time. But as the game progresses, there are less things to do. Eventually it took only 14 hours to clear everything. But the mini games are the real thrill and I thought I could play them even after finishing but you can't (;_;). Very sad.

Not a Children posted:

Love me some SNES Anamaniacs

Masochist detected.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

I played 15 minutes of the radiant historia demo, skipping all the dialogue so I could get a sense for the battle system. I see a 9x9 battle network style set up and then they show off a delay/push system for enemy combos and I turned it off and bought it :cheers:

Radiant Historia's battle system is extremely good. Unfortunately some late-game bosses are really big and you can't move them around, so the battle system doesn't get to shine on them, but for 95% of the game's fights it's a total blast. It also has a lot of turn order manipulation, which is a feature of almost all of my favorite turn-based systems.

Sakurazuka posted:

Man the SoM remake is so cheap looking, I guess they had to take the Vita version into account but that still no excuse for making it look like an upscaled PS1 game

I'm not usually a fan of Polygon's reviews but this part from their review of the Secret of Mana remake is so hilariously scathing I can't not love it:

Jeremy Parish posted:

Remakes should ideally strip away a game’s outdated or broken elements while enshrining its strengths. Secret of Mana’s remake instead emphasizes the parts of the original that didn’t quite work while leeching all joy from the parts that did. What few things it changes, it alters for the worse. This is a remarkable remake, but not in a good way: the kind of update that leaves you scratching your head wondering how they could hew so closely to the original and yet manage to get everything about it so catastrophically wrong.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
There are too many games I like that can be considered terrible games. I can't think off the top of my head what the worst one that I like would be.

Septerra Core has a lot of heart, it's not good and it is, in fact, bad, but I like it in spite of that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sadly I like lots of games that are kind of bad, most of Gust's recent output for instance.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Harrow posted:

I'm not usually a fan of Polygon's reviews but this part from their review of the Secret of Mana remake is so hilariously scathing I can't not love it:

Thungs like that and Dynasty Warriors 9 have gotten me wondering now if maybe every good video game really is just a fluke.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Harrow posted:

Radiant Historia's battle system is extremely good. Unfortunately some late-game bosses are really big and you can't move them around, so the battle system doesn't get to shine on them, but for 95% of the game's fights it's a total blast. It also has a lot of turn order manipulation, which is a feature of almost all of my favorite turn-based systems.

i wish i could say i'm surprised it turned out crummy but it really seemed like they were phoning it in for this thing the second it was announced and the $40 price tag even for a quality remake of a 25 year old game was pretty disgusting from the get go

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Looper posted:

Wait no I'm changing my answer to Jet Force Gemini

The questions wasn't: "What good games are good?"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

chumbler posted:

Thungs like that and Dynasty Warriors 9 have gotten me wondering now if maybe every good video game really is just a fluke.

Some series are so consistently good that I can believe, for now at least, that it's possible to make a good video game on purpose. Perhaps my optimism is unwarranted.

Cowcaster posted:

i wish i could say i'm surprised it turned out crummy but it really seemed like they were phoning it in for this thing the second it was announced and the $40 price tag even for a quality remake of a 25 year old game was pretty disgusting from the get go

Honestly the visuals turned me off almost immediately, and the fact that it's basically "what if Secret of Mana, but clunkier?" means I might as well just go play the original again. Here's hoping they never decide to release Seiken Densetsu 3 in the west because they'd probably gently caress it up as hard as possible.

At this point I'm pretty sure the only teams at Square-Enix who have any idea how to make video games anymore are the FFXIV team and the team that made Bravely Default (who are now making Octopath Traveler). Maybe KH3 will prove me wrong.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Persona 5 dislikes authority for a different reason than you do which is a valid complaint but I think, outside of the ending, it communicates and stands by its intended message well, even if that's not the message you would like it to have

Standing by its message except at the resolution is an odd defense tbh.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't know, I'm playing Secret of Mana right now, on my 99th try to actually finish it as a witch doctor curse ensures I stop progressing at some point since the game first came out, but Secret of Mana is already a kind of bad and janky playing game. Nobody knows how much this thing changed when the SNES CD fell through but it's just huge maps of monster filled areas where one NPC hints at a thing over there and you go do that thing and it's done. Like right now I'm chasing down Santa Claus but first I walked onto a random screen to fight a reskin of an old boss, I enter a tropical town in the middle of a snow field where a pirate told me to watch a cauldron, I waited 60 seconds for the game to prompt me to open the cauldron where the fire spirit immediately joins my party, fade to black, the town is cold and abandoned.

Any additional plot to Secret of Mana could only be a good thing, and any level of coherence to this messy combat system could only be a good thing. If Square somehow hosed both things up I am impressed because base SoM is pretty and really not much else.

chumbler posted:

*takes a bong rip*

Actually man we're all flukes. One sperm out of thousands made it to your mother's egg to create the unique you that was forged and shaped by an environment that is also a fluke. To think that a good game is the combination of the right people at the right time in the right place and you'll understand the whole universe is one giant beautiful mistake

al-azad fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 15, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chumbler posted:

why would dynasty warriors 9 get you thinking that? it's not like they accidentally made a bad video game there, its pretty clearly just the product of a bad idea being stuck to no matter the cost.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Motto posted:

Standing by its message except at the resolution is an odd defense tbh.

I mean I'm defending it from "it doesn't stand by its message ever" so

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I think the bounty that was 2017 in video gaming is probably going to cast a shadow over the next few years and make the mediocre-to-bad games look even worse

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

I mean I'm defending it from "it doesn't stand by its message ever" so
i mean every chance it has to actually take any sort of brave stand against anything it completely fumbles and it apparently hates authority because uhhhhhhhhhhh shinzo abe might summon cthulhu so we're back to 'i wish this game had the emotional and moral depth of transformers beast wars'

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I also like the graphical style of SoM remake, hi-res Dreamcast is an aesthetic I want in more games, but I just read there's no canon shot animation and that's inexcusable.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwcMBpVXzWM

the japanese beast wars opening is amazing

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

al-azad posted:

This 2 star Amazon Japan review is the most "customers felt helpful" and basically hits every point you mentioned.

yeah the minigames in captain rainbow are actually really fun and i almost think it'd be better if the game got more mileage out of them than the constant tedious overworld stuff. they'd probably get more annoying the more you do them but there's no way they'd be worse than going through the same identical shooting star night for the 11th time

honestly i have to wonder if all the padding is just because of a mandated length the game had to reach, because the same sort of stuff crops up in tingle's balloon trip of love, except instead of walking around it's an endless loop of doing the dungeon minigame to get rupees to spend on gifts for hours. and the desert chapter

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 15, 2018

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

al-azad posted:

I don't know, I'm playing Secret of Mana right now, on my 99th try to actually finish it as a witch doctor curse ensures I stop progressing at some point since the game first came out, but Secret of Mana is already a kind of bad and janky playing game. Nobody knows how much this thing changed when the SNES CD fell through but it's just huge maps of monster filled areas where one NPC hints at a thing over there and you go do that thing and it's done. Like right now I'm chasing down Santa Claus but first I walked onto a random screen to fight a reskin of an old boss, I enter a tropical town in the middle of a snow field where a pirate told me to watch a cauldron, I waited 60 seconds for the game to prompt me to open the cauldron where the fire spirit immediately joins my party, fade to black, the town is cold and abandoned.

Any additional plot to Secret of Mana could only be a good thing, and any level of coherence to this messy combat system could only be a good thing. If Square somehow hosed both things up I am impressed because base SoM is pretty and really not much else.

*takes a bong rip*

Actually man we're all flukes. One sperm out of thousands made it to your mother's egg to create the unique you that was forged and shaped by an environment that is also a fluke. To think that a good game is the combination of the right people at the right time in the right place and you'll understand the whole universe is one giant beautiful mistake

i mean i ran through the original for the first time since 1994 when the remake was announced and yeah the game has aged like a dog turd on a hot road, but i don’t follow the logic how that’s supposed to be a point in the remake’s favor. if you slap a coat of paint on that dried out dog turd i guess technically it’s better?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Endorph posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwcMBpVXzWM

the japanese beast wars opening is amazing
Imagine if this song kicked in during that one episode where Dinobot died.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

al-azad posted:

Going by that Polygon review: yes, they did gently caress those things up. Especially the combat.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

although i will admit his comments about rubbing up against enemies and stuff seem weird as hell

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

i mean i ran through the original for the first time since 1994 when the remake was announced and yeah the game has aged like a dog turd on a hot road, but i don’t follow the logic how that’s supposed to be a point in the remake’s favor. if you slap a coat of paint on that dried out dog turd i guess technically it’s better?

What I was arguing is that any improvements to the very Spartan script or barely there combat would be a good thing but somehow Square hosed it up so I'll just complete this SNES version and be on my way.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

although i will admit his comments about rubbing up against enemies and stuff seem weird as hell

If anything you should be staying away from enemies so they can't immediately attack you when they get a turn, assuming they're not stuck in a hit cycle.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Whoah poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc6msd1HAOQ

Studio Killers are back

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

al-azad posted:

What I was arguing is that any improvements to the very Spartan script or barely there combat would be a good thing but somehow Square hosed it up so I'll just complete this SNES version and be on my way.

They added hit indicators so you can tell wether you actually hit something and two shortcut buttons, that's it for combat changes.

It's a game that improved nothing that needed improving and removed everything that made the original SoM likable.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

you’d think how the secret of mana translation was infamous for the massive hatchet job it had to be because square wanted to use a big font or whatever would mean them going back and adding crummy voice over to the whole mess would’ve been a no brainer to work on a new translation but from what it sounds like that would’ve taken too much time and effort for a lovely overpriced nostalgia cash grab project so why bother

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I mean it's not like it's the most transcendent script in the first place, the games were always just chill little fairy tales for the most part.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cowcaster posted:

you’d think how the secret of mana translation was infamous for the massive hatchet job it had to be because square wanted to use a big font or whatever would mean them going back and adding crummy voice over to the whole mess would’ve been a no brainer to work on a new translation but from what it sounds like that would’ve taken too much time and effort for a lovely overpriced nostalgia cash grab project so why bother

It's a new translation that still uses some old lines like SE tends to do with these things, I've really no idea what you're talking about

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Phantasium posted:

I mean it's not like it's the most transcendent script in the first place, the games were always just chill little fairy tales for the most part.

ffa isn't so much a chill fairy tale as a story about people being inexplicably miserable except for the science doctor who turns a chocobo into a robot

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Sakurazuka posted:

It's a new translation that still uses some old lines like SE tends to do with these things, I've really no idea what you're talking about

ah based on that article it sounded like they didn’t bother doing anything to the script

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Phantasium posted:

apparently i was thinking of final fantasy 3/6 http://www.playeronepodcast.com/forum/index.php?/topic/145-transcript-of-ted-woolsey-interview/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The Colonel posted:

ffa isn't so much a chill fairy tale as a story about people being inexplicably miserable except for the science doctor who turns a chocobo into a robot

The earliest form of Chocolina.

• Locked thread