Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
stop taking the position of peeking people in face to face shootouts so we can stop discussing arbitrary differences in dps

memorizing damage falloff at various intervals of distance is about as interesting useful it'll ever gets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Ok, what do I do as a shield guy, now that my shield has been knocked away by an op4 melee?

What's the best counter there?

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?

The Bananana posted:

Ok, what do I do as a shield guy, now that my shield has been knocked away by an op4 melee?

Shoot them, imo.

I don't play as shield guys.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

The Bananana posted:

Melee them before they melee you
Failing that turn about 45 degres to the right and your knocked out shield will be facing op4

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

if you like playing shield operators its good to have a vague idea of where your shield is during various animations.

there is certainly a PUBG frying pan element of randomization to this but it can occasionally save your life.

one of the funniest things i've seen in this game is a downed monte turn their mouse sensitivity up and spin around so fast that he was just a blur of pixels and when we shot at him the bullets sparked off his shield. haven't seen this happen in a while and idk if thy fixed this by limiting movement speed when downed but i hope they didn't because its hilarious

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

The Bananana posted:

Turn to the right and hug a wall so your shield keeps facing them and they can't quickly go around you. The window for murdering you is like 2 seconds and part of that they still have the animation of the knife attack and possibly aiming down sights, so you have a reasonable chance of only taking a bit of damage from stray bullets rather than getting executed like a dog. Then prepare to melee them back or back off depending on the risk of another defender covering them.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Sdoots posted:

I'm loving trash and I've always liked Ying. :/

Same

I'm deffo not the greatest but I just like flashbang lady

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I like Ying on paper and I have seen her used effectively. I am super garbage with her gun though. Maybe ill try the shotgun sometime.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Yeah, DPS assumes accuracy too, which makes it misleading. As others have noted, Valk's SMG is bad in DPS terms, but fires like a laser, so, y'know...

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

https://rainbow6.ubisoft.com/siege/en-US/game-info/operators/finka/story.aspx

quote:

She pushes herself to the point of throwing up after workouts with IQ and Valkyrie, though only Valkyrie understands that punishing limit of physical fitness.

quote:

She is trying to find a new treatment while keeping it a secret, but Doc knows and is closely monitoring her CMT in case it begins to affect her performance. She has not shared this with anyone else, not Kapkan who is her no-nonsense mentor, and not Tachanka with whom she drinks and flirts.

Lera has recently taken to creating a wall of letters and photos in her workspace, a reminder that her treatments are more than just about helping herself. But she’s still afraid that this might get ahead of her.

🦁 https://rainbow6.ubisoft.com/siege/en-US/game-info/operators/lion/story.aspx 🦁

quote:

Doc thinks he lacks the empathy necessary to help in medical crises while Lion thinks Doc’s humanitarianism is a liability. Twitch is not happy about being caught in the middle of that fight. Lion’s closest friend in GIGN is Montagne, but when Thatcher punched Olivier after he said the wrong thing during a training exercise, Lion almost brought the GIGN and SAS to blows.

Olivier spends most of his social time at Church volunteering when he can, or at his apartment reading and staying out of trouble while listening to the angry albums of his teenage years.

lmfao this game owns

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I didn't know the lore was basically a sitcom

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Why do all the shootmans have backstories in this game where characterization is limited to "Barricading wall"?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

SpazmasterX posted:

Why do all the shootmans have backstories in this game where characterization is limited to "Barricading wall"?

You can barricade a wall but you can't barricade the hole in your heart.

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
Finka is like a cut MGS character.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Year 3 OP that knows CQC and can Hip Toss any OP4 within range.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Year 3 OP that knows CQC and can Hip Toss any OP4 within range.

The other side has one that can disassemble opponents' guns in a single second

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So coming back from a very long break of not playing, apparently there are 10,000 new operators to unlock.

From Year 1 I do not have Frost + Bope & S.A.T unlocked, and I have nothing from Year 2 unlocked.

I have enough to unlock one operator, who should it be????

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

iSheep posted:

So coming back from a very long break of not playing, apparently there are 10,000 new operators to unlock.

From Year 1 I do not have Frost + Bope & S.A.T unlocked, and I have nothing from Year 2 unlocked.

I have enough to unlock one operator, who should it be????

Assuming you have all the base operators already...

If you want to be an Anchor, grab Mira or Lesion

If you want to counter roamers on attack, grab Jackal

Hibana is also very useful almost all the time, since she can blow up reinforced walls

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

SpazmasterX posted:

Because

A.People flip their poo poo in youtube videos analyzing every last detail given to try and figure out what ability/gadget they might have based on a paragraph or so of info.

B. Giving more info facilitates fan art, which gives the game more attention in the artsy/tumblr type spaces that might not play an FPS to begin with

C. It probably proved very popular to link Ela and Zophia together both in backstory and with in game mechanics so perhaps they are trying that bit again.

Although i do get where you're coming from. At this point Rainbow Six is turning from an elite squad of the best operators from every CTU in the world to a drat fraternity. Remember just back in Season 3 when the most info Mira got was that she's good at fixing things and she gave Tachanka the shield on his gun? Now everybody knows everybody and is a comrade/teacher/flirty work friend.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Can a nigga get some some funny dank memes from r6?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

kapkan's elite skin mvp animation is some tactical knife fighting stuff

he was training the new operator and accidentally cut her face like this

she beat the poo poo out of him breaking bones in his face and ribs or something

this is literally canon but at least we know the devs played Final Fantasy 8

it'd be funny if years from now the game is littered with sibling rivalry bonuses except its every dumb flavor text of characters getting shipped

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I didn't know the lore was basically a sitcom

It feels like something 24 writers would come up with as backstory.

Also I want Lions vector right now.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I love the lovely backstory for this lovely game. I love it to bits.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."
Ying's weapons are legit my most favorite in the game, they both reload so fast and the shotgun is a dude destroyer. I have no idea how to use her candelas but I'm certain I know how to shoot dude. Flash mom is my fav attacker second only to Bucc.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."
Also look at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJUXWcFkTdU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Although i do get where you're coming from. At this point Rainbow Six is turning from an elite squad of the best operators from every CTU in the world to a drat fraternity. Remember just back in Season 3 when the most info Mira got was that she's good at fixing things and she gave Tachanka the shield on his gun? Now everybody knows everybody and is a comrade/teacher/flirty work friend.

The original Rainbow Six was even more of a dumb fraternity, but the magic Heartbeat Sensor™ always bailed them out.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

unlawfulsoup posted:

It feels like something 24 writers would come up with as backstory.

It's Clancyverse, so yeah.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

The Bananana posted:

Can a nigga get some some funny dank memes from r6?

https://www.reddit.com/r/shittyrainbow6/

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

seems legit.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

the top posts are pretty good. hell, there's even one relevant to this free weekend

Qubee
May 31, 2013

will solely be playing on casual to enjoy this free weekend to its utmost.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

when you have a muscle spasm and it all works out https://streamable.com/oq3y6

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Basticle posted:

when you have a muscle spasm and it all works out https://streamable.com/oq3y6

Wow, your aim totally just snapped to that guy, nice aimhack you cheater.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

concrete evidence that he uses aimbot. it wasn't a muscle spasm, it was him quickly trying to press his aimbot.exe mouse button that caused the initial movement.

posting to reddit to get you banned

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

I was spectating, though the shooter posts in this thread

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

The Bananana posted:

You can do that dance where you turn 90 degrees. Like the shield goes up and to the left so you turn to the right and it blocks again.

Not that I am good enough to master this, I just seen it on the youtubes.

EDIT: I guess that was covered already. I'm tired.

I can't wait to sleep in tomorrow and then play with all the free weekend noobs and smurf accounts.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Reminder to watch the Invitationals

https://www.twitch.tv/rainbow6

https://rainbow6.ubisoft.com/siege/en-us/events/sixinvitational/schedule.aspx

Qubee
May 31, 2013

so remember Ubisoft updated their ToS that said racism was a permanent ban offense? is there a specific email I can send ingame screenshots to, to get a particularly toxic person banned?

spent the entire game spouting racism and trying to tilt us all. we won in the end 5-4, but it was trash. "lol i've been toxic for a year and ubi doesn't care". would be nice to get him permabanned, cause yikes. I'm pretty happy with the win, though. it was 2v1 and I clutched it.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

was he on the other team, because if he was on your team you should have all taken turns teamkilling him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Why the gently caress doesn't the game let everyone chat mute people, that's the real question.
This whole obnoxious-kids-spouting-slurs thing would've been easily solved if I could just mute them in text chat.

Then I wouldn't even care if they banned those kids or not. They can keep shouting into the ether as much as they want for all I care, as long as I don't have to see it.