Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Alexeythegreat posted:

I know there have been instances of people deleting their LPs after years because they couldn't stand them anymore.
Has there ever been a case of someone redoing an LP of the same game they LPd ages ago because they felt the quality was not up to par? Asking for a friend
I kinda feel that's why ChipCheezum is currently doing a second LP of 'Beyond Good and Evil'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

discworld is all I read posted:

I kinda feel that's why ChipCheezum is currently doing a second LP of 'Beyond Good and Evil'?

This is where I confess that I don't follow ChipCheezum :v:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Alexeythegreat posted:

I know there have been instances of people deleting their LPs after years because they couldn't stand them anymore.
Has there ever been a case of someone redoing an LP of the same game they LPd ages ago because they felt the quality was not up to par? Asking for a friend

Multiple times, Chip being the latest (and highest profile one). OFS's Digimon World LP is another one I can remember off the top of my head, and I'm sure you could find countless others if you really wanted to dig.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

TheMcD posted:

3) When something is happening that involves motion, figure out if I can GIF it first (applies largely only to sprite-based older games that compress really well)

I dunno really if its the best thing for stuff that isn't sprite-based, but I find that GoonCam works really well for GIFs as well. It's super simple, easy and intuitive to use but I'm sure the Tech Support Fort could give a litany of things that works for it as well. I'unno, I'm not much of a GIF person, for the most part, but it works well whenever I've used it at least.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Alexeythegreat posted:

There was an FF8 LP that was deleted, restarted, and cancelled due to a lack of gay jokes. Does that count?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

People who have done screenshot LPs: what are some good guidelines for what shots to take and use? How much dialogue should I be transcribing versus screenshotting? How many steps of doing something do people need to see to follow an action?

I don’t know if the discussion has moved on from this or not, but I’ll kick in some advice too.

The big game I did as an SSLP was a full-on modern PS3 RPG, something that might have been better suited as a VLP all told, but I wanted to take things a little slower and examine every possible detail of why it was a Bad Game overall. It helped a lot in the screenshotting process that the game wasn’t particularly creative or cinematic, and would only become interesting in short, far apart bursts.

My main philosophy when taking screenshots of “bigger” games (again PS2/3-era RPGs are somewhat better suited to this) is that I wanted to make sure that if a cutscene was happening, that I had at least one screenshot for every camera shot and then scaled up and down as needed. So any time the camera changed focus to something or someone else, that was by default another screenshot.

A change of expression on a character’s face warranted another screenshot. Usually related to a big shift in emotion. If they dialog was served by inserting another screenshot as a beat between lines or to emphasis a part of a sentence, then I’d add one in where appropriate.

With big action movements, I tried to keep to the “rule of threes”. People can usually infer the course of a character’s action if you show them at the beginning of their action, in the middle of it, and then at the end of it where they end up. If multiple big movements or actions are happening in a scene, then just stack them on top of each other when need be. If it’s a ridiculously complex movement, I would slate in more screenshots when needed. But by and large people can fill in the banks in their head themselves.

So those were my big guidelines when I was working on White Knight Chronicles, at least.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 14, 2018

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Alexeythegreat posted:

This is where I confess that I don't follow ChipCheezum :v:

Heretic. :commissar:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Alexeythegreat posted:

Egomaniac LP'd Siren twice, once in 2007, came back to redo it in 2012 for several reasons (mainly low resolution and muddy graphics), and [url="https://"https://lparchive.org/SIREN-Remastered/"]finished that redo in 2016[/url].

I would've loved them to similarly redo their Siren 2 LP but that was a no-go for personal reasons iirc (even if I still hold out hope for it)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Alexeythegreat posted:

Stay tuned for Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire Redux!!! 2020, baybeeeeee!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Alexeythegreat posted:

I admit I have given thought to redoing my old HAWX LPs at times. Just better recordings and maybe not use music that would make Youtube copyright protection sound like a doomsday siren.
But has never really passed the idea stage for various reasons. v:v:v

But I have deleted LPs though. Got rid of pretty much everything related to my System Shock 2 LP that I did years and years ago. (gently caress me, must've almost been a decade by now.) Hated pretty much everything about that after a while and just got rid of the videos.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Xander77 posted:

There was an FF8 LP that was deleted, restarted, and cancelled due to a lack of gay jokes. Does that count?

I thought that it was redone before it was deleted. And it was cancelled because the gay jokes continued but were not received in the same way, and then the original was deleted for the same reason.

But anyway, the original question, yes people have redone them, and that LP is a case where both conditions were true.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

People who have done screenshot LPs: what are some good guidelines for what shots to take and use? How much dialogue should I be transcribing versus screenshotting? How many steps of doing something do people need to see to follow an action?

I don't think my attempt at an SSLP was well received because I tried to do something different from the norm, but my opinion is that each image should convey something of value to the reader. Something that portrays the tone of the game or the commentary that would follow. Something that gives a strong sense of what the game is like to play, or provides valuable information on the mechanics, or maybe just looks really nice.

When it comes to dialogue, I think the only important things to showcase are moments that you feel are important to the story or to characterization. Everything else should be summarized.

SSLPs are a style meant to offer a leaner experience and convey only the information the LPer considers valuable to the reader, whilst adding their own commentary. Just keep that in mind in order to determine what you should and should not keep.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Alexeythegreat posted:

I'm redoing the Gobliiins games right now, in fact. Quality is only one of the reasons, but it's a big one.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I don't know how, or when exactly it happened, but somehow, Tindeck appears to be allowing new uploads again. Maybe they plugged in a USB stick or something.

I really thought it had broken for good this time.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Baldurk should buy tindeck and make it for let's play only uploads :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Clyp has kind of supplanted Tindeck as the go-to audio platform for LPs on SA, hasn't it?

It's what I use for standalone audio these days.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Wake me when Tindeck stops using Flash.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

nine-gear crow posted:

Clyp has kind of supplanted Tindeck as the go-to audio platform for LPs on SA, hasn't it?

It's what I use for standalone audio these days.

Clyp rules but costs money per month for anyone who wasn't heavily using it from the beginning. I think you get six hours before you gotta cough up.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I tried to use Clyp once, but it sorta just... didn't work for me. I think it was because I needed to upload a MIDI (because old RPG Maker) and sensible things don't allow that any more. So I just threw it up on YT and have sorta been doing that ever since, for consistency. :v:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
It's probably because MIDI files don't actually contain any sound to play.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Fedule posted:

Clyp rules but costs money per month for anyone who wasn't heavily using it from the beginning. I think you get six hours before you gotta cough up.

And even some veterans were forced to pay. I was one of the unlucky ones who didn't get grandfathered in.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

FactsAreUseless posted:

i take whatever screenshots i capture and then just roll with it

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

The White Dragon posted:

i take whatever screenshots i capture and then just roll with it

Same, but mainly because I failed to figure out video capture on my last two attempts.

I'll get there eventually. Maybe even sooner thanks to the new batch of tips from this conversation.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Recording’s pretty simple now. OBS and HyperCam2 should handle most things on PC, BizHawk can emulate and record most older games, and for newer consoles you’ll need something like the Elgato.

There’s a solid plugin to let you load .mkv and .mp4 files easily to AvsPmod, and from there you can jump through frames easily and add some simple scripts to crop and resize at will. I migt write something a bit more fleshed out later once I get out of bed.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mega64 posted:

HyperCam2
Do I have to register it?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's imperative that you don't

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Only if you're a heathen who also registers WinRAR.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I don't know if this is the place for it, but the thread is up. Thanks to everyone that helped and offered advice.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Only tangentially related to LPs - is there a way to find out what a deleted / blocked youtube clip was about? Also, what's the logic that decides when you get a "Youtube title of cl- was blocked by IGN for copyright distribution" notification, and when you get a short "this content is blocked" with no hints as to what the content even was in the first place?

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Xander77 posted:

Only tangentially related to LPs - is there a way to find out what a deleted / blocked youtube clip was about? Also, what's the logic that decides when you get a "Youtube title of cl- was blocked by IGN for copyright distribution" notification, and when you get a short "this content is blocked" with no hints as to what the content even was in the first place?

There isn't any good technical way to do it I don't think, but I've had luck sometimes just googling for the url and looking at where (if anywhere) it'd been posted and what people said about it to figure it out.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Try plugging the URL into the wayback machine? It's not 100% but it can quite often pull up the title/description of the video, and if you're really unlucky you'll have the youtube comments there as well.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Idran posted:

There isn't any good technical way to do it I don't think, but I've had luck sometimes just googling for the url and looking at where (if anywhere) it'd been posted and what people said about it to figure it out.
You can just Google the unique video ID. I do this when videos disappear from one of my playlists to find out what exactly went missing. I can often then plug the title back into YouTube to find a replacement version.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
(I've never done this before, I'm nervous! I'd especially appreciate it if anyone had any very specific advice for mike levels in OBS. We messed with it forever and this was the best we could do.)

So somehow Final Fantasy is cool again? I'm down.

My husband, Randumb Thots, who refused to play JRPGs for years, played Final Fantasy XV and loved it. I ate, slept and breathed Final Fantasy growing up. I'm considering it my duty to get as much Final Fantasy in him as I can, so we're starting with VI. Or III. Whichever you prefer. This is the Super Nintendo version, because I'm an old nerd who rejects the other versions. Please enjoy an utter newbie and a Final Fantasy diehard trying to work our way through a 24 year old game.

Spoilers?

I know this game is about 600 years old, but there's still a nonzero chance Randumb will wander into the thread, so if you could tag everything that would be great. ... except for the opera. He's seen the opera.

Episode 1

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bean posted:

(I've never done this before, I'm nervous! I'd especially appreciate it if anyone had any very specific advice for mike levels in OBS. We messed with it forever and this was the best we could do.)

So somehow Final Fantasy is cool again? I'm down.

My husband, Randumb Thots, who refused to play JRPGs for years, played Final Fantasy XV and loved it. I ate, slept and breathed Final Fantasy growing up. I'm considering it my duty to get as much Final Fantasy in him as I can, so we're starting with VI. Or III. Whichever you prefer. This is the Super Nintendo version, because I'm an old nerd who rejects the other versions. Please enjoy an utter newbie and a Final Fantasy diehard trying to work our way through a 24 year old game.

Spoilers?

I know this game is about 600 years old, but there's still a nonzero chance Randumb will wander into the thread, so if you could tag everything that would be great. ... except for the opera. He's seen the opera.

Episode 1

I'm assuming this is live commentary right? I'd turn the mic volume down a little bit. Your voices are nice and clear and crisp, but there's a LOT of background hiss and hum from your computer fan, to the point where it distracts from the game audio and your commentary. The good news is you have a nice moment of silence at the start that you can use as a noise sample for noise removal in Audacity or another program.

Just going any kind of noise removal will help improve your presentation immensely. And I say that as someone who can't even look at their old videos anymore because of the background hiss in them before I figured out how to noise gate and noise remove.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm assuming this is live commentary right? I'd turn the mic volume down a little bit. Your voices are nice and clear and crisp, but there's a LOT of background hiss and hum from your computer fan, to the point where it distracts from the game audio and your commentary. The good news is you have a nice moment of silence at the start that you can use as a noise sample for noise removal in Audacity or another program.

Just going any kind of noise removal will help improve your presentation immensely. And I say that as someone who can't even look at their old videos anymore because of the background hiss in them before I figured out how to noise gate and noise remove.

I've done noise reduction in audacity before, so I'm good there, but how do I extract the audio out of the video? I assume I have to get it out into a sound file, run it through Audacity, and then edit it back in in Windows Movie Maker.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bean posted:

I've done noise reduction in audacity before, so I'm good there, but how do I extract the audio out of the video? I assume I have to get it out into a sound file, run it through Audacity, and then edit it back in in Windows Movie Maker.

That would be roughly the way to do it. Honestly, I don’t have much experience with doing that because I do all my commentary as post comm so I have individual files I can play with before I edit everything together.

For what it’s worth, you can tinker with OBS’s settings to have it encode videos with multiple tracks for separate inputs. So you can have a version that’s fully mixed, one with just the game audio, and one with your mic input audio so that you can do post processing on it even though it was done live.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Okay, hot drat, I hosed with it for hours, but I figured it out. Here's the new video file: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgXY0kZhxXo

Here's what I did, in case anyone ever has the same problem:

1. Load the video file into Windows Movie Maker

2. Under save movie, scroll allllll the way down to audio only and save the audio

3. Download the ffmpeg library for Audacity. Proceed to monkey with Audacity for hours because it won't recognize the dll file like it should. Hopefully you have better luck than I do.

4. Noise reduce in audacity, export to wav

5. Mute the video in Windows Movie Maker and add in your new slick audacity audio

I totally hear what you're hearing with the mike now, I'm not sure why I didn't hear it earlier. Maybe my computer was just too low? Either way I'm on a better track and I know what to play with for next time.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
So was a bit curious overall what your recording setup was like cause something seems a bit off with your actual game audio. Just for comparison sake I did a bit of talking over a small snippet of footage I recorded for you to tell the difference hopefully: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6rAtvq1vZw

And as far as I could tell that issue was there even before you did the noise removal.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I typed up the first part for a Dragon Slayer Jr. Famicom SSLP. It's a bit long because the game is short enough that I want to get it done in around three or four parts and this covers roughly the first 1/3, around what I felt was the best stopping point, but I'd like to know if it would be better to cut it into smaller updates to cover it in, say, six or seven parts instead based on this first update, and if I should change anything with how I'm formatting it.

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=150370

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

You're doing something very wrong in your image gathering/processing.

This is messy as all heck. (Also, NES pngs should not be >500kb.) Disable your emulator filters and/or ensure you're resizing using nearest neighbour. If you're screencapping from video footage, make sure you capture lossless video to begin with.

I also recommend putting a blank line between screenshots and text.

Since the update is only like 60 images, I don't think it's too long. It's going to be a very short thread, though. More but smaller updates might give more people a chance to discover/be active in it before it's over.