Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
https://www.kde.org/info/security/advisory-20180208-2.txt

nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

the problem wasn't the size of the code; gpus and display handling are really complicated and need a lot of backend driver code to work. the problem was that the original code was opened by throwing it over the fence and had a lot of dead and unused bits, multiple reimplementations of systems the kernel already provides and lots of strange stylistic things like storing initialization values for registers as strings of binary that were parsed at run time instead of just, you know, putting the constant values directly in the code.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sapozhnik posted:

i mean if you want to poo poo something proprietary with its own private SOs into a subdir of /opt nothing is stopping you? chrome and other such things install themselves there

chrome is an example of a serious offender, twice over:
  1. it fails to specify rpath despite being installed in opt.
  2. ... but then it sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH to overload runtime linker behavior anyway

major bummers.

party foul, if you will

Sapozhnik posted:

i don't get what point you are trying to make; a distribution uses a frozen slice of shared library versions, that's what a distribution is. if you want a hermetic environment for your programs that's what flatpak and (ugh) docker are for. or RPMs that install to /opt.

Suspicious Dish posted:

yeah, i'm really happy that linux solved dll he-- /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found

suspicious dish pretty much nailed the problem

even inside my "frozen slice" of shard library versions, I am very likely to have multiple versions (chronologically) or multiple ABIs (what if my binary is more than one year old?) or multiple versions (differing vendors)

those need to be stored in separate paths in order to avoid dumbassery. the runtime linker should examine only the correct paths, not just load everything in /usr/lib and cross our fingers

again: svr4 did this correctly, with full package management, natch, in nineteen eighty eight

how is it 2018 and a major software vendor is shipping shell scripts with LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
we learn nothing

solaris 2.0 did all of this poo poo perfectly 28 years ago. the necessary specifications and reference implementations were published 30 years ago.

now it is 2018 and we are arguing over several mutually-incompatible ways to do completely the wrong loving thing

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
too bad for the solaris people that scott mcnealy was running the company and his business strategy was seeing how many times he could call bill gates a poopyhead

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

rpath doesn’t help when multiple versions of the same library get loaded into a process and the second loser gets a mishmash of symbol versions because ELF lookup semantics are idiotic

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

chrome is an example of a serious offender, twice over:
  1. it fails to specify rpath despite being installed in opt.
  2. ... but then it sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH to overload runtime linker behavior anyway

major bummers.

party foul, if you will

suspicious dish pretty much nailed the problem

even inside my "frozen slice" of shard library versions, I am very likely to have multiple versions (chronologically) or multiple ABIs (what if my binary is more than one year old?) or multiple versions (differing vendors)

those need to be stored in separate paths in order to avoid dumbassery. the runtime linker should examine only the correct paths, not just load everything in /usr/lib and cross our fingers

again: svr4 did this correctly, with full package management, natch, in nineteen eighty eight

how is it 2018 and a major software vendor is shipping shell scripts with LD_LIBRARY_PATH

how the hell are you not able to solve this by having your own lib folder with your binary in /opt. i still dont see what your problem is, it seems like you are hellbent on creating them

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Tankakern posted:

how the hell are you not able to solve this by having your own lib folder with your binary in /opt. i still dont see what your problem is, it seems like you are hellbent on creating them

having your own lib folder with your binary and setting rpath is the correct solution, yes

everything on the system should be doing this, not just a handful of sane people who care whether their poo poo works

i am not, for example, going to ship my own libstdc++.so.6, for obvious reasons. but i can still run into versioning issues because the distributor just dumps a single copy in /usr/lib and calls it done

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i am not, for example, going to ship my own libstdc++.so.6, for obvious reasons. but i can still run into versioning issues because the distributor just dumps a single copy in /usr/lib and calls it done

…and doesn’t care if next year’s OS exports the same API with the same behavior from a lib in the same place with the same name

if it’s public API it needs to be binary compatible

if it’s not going to be binary compatible it needs to not be public API

this is not a hard concept to grasp but Linux has always been “just recompile, not having the sources necessary to do so is a moral failing” never mind that even if all the sources are available you also have to re-test everything

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

eschaton posted:

just recompile, not having the sources necessary to do so is a moral failing

unironically :same:

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

eschaton posted:

Linux... never mind that... you also have to test

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Gazpacho posted:

too bad for the solaris people that scott mcnealy was running the company and his business strategy was seeing how many times he could call bill gates a poopyhead

also hosting hockey games

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
i don't know why this made me laugh i'm sorry

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it wasn't that funny and indirectly lead me to https://www.reddit.com/r/freebsd/comments/7xapx2/freebsds_new_geek_feminismbased_code_of_conduct/ and now i am angry

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
the pissing and moaning about systemd is never going to go away is it

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sapozhnik posted:

the pissing and moaning about systemd is never going to go away is it

no, i meet new and new people who use gentoo at home and become 300 wpm typists when i mention systemd

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

of course, grudges about stupid poo poo are forever, people still bitch about minutiae from decades ago

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Tankakern posted:

the dll hell is still there, it's just abstracted behind winsxs, bloating the os to new extremes, making every version of every dll released ever available

how is this not a correct solution

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

winsxsaas

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I tried playing around with MSYS2 for Windows development recently. It uses Pacman instead of cygwin's weird setup.exe thing, which is nice. What isn't nice is the fact that installs separate MinGW-targeting MSYS2 environments that you have to open up as separate shells instead of just installing them as cross toolchains like every other Linux-based toolchain install.

Swear to god nobody can get this poo poo right ever. I'd use WSL but that involves Windows 10 and at this point I'm only going to do that if I can somehow pirate the Enterprise Edition.

I'm not going to use MSVC because it still doesn't loving support C99, a standard that's almost old enough to drink

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Nobody even explains this crap either:

Cygwin, the library: A fake libc that provides fake POSIX syscalls under Windows. Also redirect filesystem syscalls to be rooted under a UNIXy filesystem in C:\cygwin64 or whatever, though you can access the entire win32 filesystem under /cygwin/c/ or whatever.

Cygwin, the distribution: A UNIX software distribution compiled against Cygwin, the DLL, using a GCC tool chain targetting the Cygwin library.

MinGW: A GCC target that targets native the Win32 API without the Cygwin library being involved. Also includes w32headers, which is a set of permissively-licensed header files for the Win32 API. This toolchain can be installed under Cygwin (the distribution), MSYS2 (see below), or on Linux or macOS. If installed on a Windows host it does require Cygwin the library for the compiler to function, but its outputs do not require the Cygwin library.

MinGW-w64: A fork of MinGW and w32headers that isn't moribund. Despite the name this supports both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows, it was merely created to facilitate 64-bit Windows support since the original project never got around to it.

MSYS2: An alternative to Cygwin, the distribution. But it also uses Cygwin, the library, which may or may not also be forked idk. Main difference is that it uses Arch's pacman package manager instead of having to go through a lovely native win32 wizard every time you want to install a package. Also the aforementioned separate-installs-for-each-toolchain BS. And symlinks being implemented as deep copies by default unless you edit this weird semi-undocumented flag somewhere.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

tech_poisonous_environment.epub

some jackass posted:

RAPE after timeout

:whitewater:

as above posted:

Linux is much worse for this sort of thing. The Kernel is safe and so are old guard distros. But giant swathes of the software has been compromised. Not that I would use it anyway, but Gnome is one of the worst offenders.

didn't know that anti-harassment policies could "compromise" a desktop environment

but the best for last:

wat posted:

I was on the committee which wrote this. Yes, we took bits from Geek Feminism -- but I excised the bits which I thought were nutty (like the rant about how sexism against men doesn't exist).

Reply:
This is like saying we took the good bits from the Nazi manifesto without all the stuff about the Aryan race being the best race. The old code of conduct was fine. The new one fixes nothing and, based on this thread, is universally hated.

Best Bi Geek Squid fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 15, 2018

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sapozhnik posted:

I tried playing around with MSYS2 for Windows development recently. It uses Pacman instead of cygwin's weird setup.exe thing, which is nice. What isn't nice is the fact that installs separate MinGW-targeting MSYS2 environments that you have to open up as separate shells instead of just installing them as cross toolchains like every other Linux-based toolchain install.

Swear to god nobody can get this poo poo right ever. I'd use WSL but that involves Windows 10 and at this point I'm only going to do that if I can somehow pirate the Enterprise Edition.

I'm not going to use MSVC because it still doesn't loving support C99, a standard that's almost old enough to drink

you deffo can pirate windows 10 enterprise, but it may involve using russian cracks

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

i thought they actually implemented a fair amount of c99 as of the 2013 version, at least enough to compile ffmpeg

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

you deffo can pirate windows 10 enterprise, but it may involve using russian cracks

isn't there a reverse engineered kms server out there?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
dealing with windows 10 makes me want to kms

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SamDabbers posted:

isn't there a reverse engineered kms server out there?

not sure, i just know that some of my acquaintances use enterprise lts skus at home, and most of them are unemployed

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sapozhnik posted:

its the best os ive used

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

cinci zoo sniper posted:

its the best os ive used

i'm sorry

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Sapozhnik posted:

msvc supports C99 to the letter, but for maximum comedy value it only applies if you're writing actual c in a file named .c

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
oh. well maybe i should take a look at it then

does it have stdatomic.h cuz that's the only c11 feature i care about at this time

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Sapozhnik posted:

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Sapozhnik posted:

oh. well maybe i should take a look at it then

does it have stdatomic.h cuz that's the only c11 feature i care about at this time

nah, they only pulled C99 in because most of it is required for C++11

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

no, i meet new and new people who use gentoo at home and become 300 wpm typists when i mention systemd

said this before many times, but i hate the fact that gentoo is so closely associated with anti-systemd retards.

gentoo with systemd is the best distro there is, they just so happen to also support a not-systemd init system

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

out.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Tankakern posted:

gentoo with systemd is the best distro there is

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Tankakern posted:

said this before many times, but i hate the fact that gentoo is so closely associated with anti-systemd retards.

gentoo with systemd is the best distro there is, they just so happen to also support a not-systemd init system

gentoo is associated with every kind of mouth-breather there is. fedoras, beards, systemd weirdos, cranks you name it

it's almost like an ill-conceived bundle of idiot patchsets only attracts morons

--

"what if we had an os that was literally impossible to patch faster than it became exploitable?"
-- the creed of gentoo, 1999

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Chrome OS is a Gentoo fork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Most successful Linux Desktop distro.