Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I have just been using hangouts and google voice but that high quality pictures bit sounds v good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

ThermoPhysical posted:

Android Messages will soon get a web enterface and "enhanced chat features".

That means stickers. Bigger, dumber stickers.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I assume it will require deployment of RCS by carriers and the last I paid attention to the subject that was a shitshow, no?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

I assume it will require deployment of RCS by carriers and the last I paid attention to the subject that was a shitshow, no?

The article is kind of weird and made it seem like google could route the stuff through their servers to avoid this but I read it last night and was tired so maybe not. RCS is def a shitshow with carriers tho

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Sounded like CARRIERS could route it through Google, but customers would still depend on carriers supporting it.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Has SwiftKey just poo poo the bed for anyone else? Half of the suggestions are nonsense, choosing a predicted word slaps half of the same word at the end of it, ('suggested' becomes 'suggestedsugg') the spacebar is sticking random vowels everywhere, and all my words keep ending in periods.

...How's Swype? All the Swype reviews are about how much it sucks now.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I've had that happen on very specific websites (seemingly due to slow response as the text was filling in the field). Never system wide, or even Chrome browser wide.

Edit: I once had SwiftKey give me hosed up recommendations, but that was due to Afrikaans being added to my dictionary for some reason.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I don't know, it was a website I visit quite frequently, and now that I've checked the reviews, I'm not the only person this is happening to.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

YggiDee posted:

I don't know, it was a website I visit quite frequently, and now that I've checked the reviews, I'm not the only person this is happening to.

Yeah it just goes off the deep end for me sometimes. I just switch to Gboard or Swype or whatever for a few days/weeks until it updates again and then it usually behaves better.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think everyone is jumping to conclusions with the APK teardown. I really doubt that Google FINALLY has figured out messaging after all this time.

Watch this be tied to Fi.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

YggiDee posted:

Has SwiftKey just poo poo the bed for anyone else? Half of the suggestions are nonsense, choosing a predicted word slaps half of the same word at the end of it, ('suggested' becomes 'suggestedsugg') the spacebar is sticking random vowels everywhere, and all my words keep ending in periods.

...How's Swype? All the Swype reviews are about how much it sucks now.
Yeah, SwiftKey has been progressively getting worse for me. I've been considering just clearing all my data from it and starting over to see if that helps any. Being able to manually remove poo poo from my dictionary without waiting for it to pop up randomly would be a nice addition.

Swype is the greatest at swiping for text input, but it feels like it hasn't changed much in the past few years. I'm still not quite sure why Nuance bought them and it certainly hasn't provided any benefits to users.

Right now I'm using Gboard until it decides to gently caress up since it seems to be my least lovely option at the moment.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I think everyone is jumping to conclusions with the APK teardown. I really doubt that Google FINALLY has figured out messaging after all this time.

Watch this be tied to Fi.

I mean I agree but I'm also on Fi so I'm still excited. :v:

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it, Google DID say they would be doing something to make it up to Fi with what they did to Google Voice and how Hangouts is mostly business related now.

https://9to5google.com/2017/01/30/project-fi-integration-might-be-coming-to-voice-google-is-working-on-a-solution/

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Feb 10, 2018

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

datajosh posted:

Yeah, SwiftKey has been progressively getting worse for me. I've been considering just clearing all my data from it and starting over to see if that helps any. Being able to manually remove poo poo from my dictionary without waiting for it to pop up randomly would be a nice addition.

Swype is the greatest at swiping for text input, but it feels like it hasn't changed much in the past few years. I'm still not quite sure why Nuance bought them and it certainly hasn't provided any benefits to users.

Right now I'm using Gboard until it decides to gently caress up since it seems to be my least lovely option at the moment.

My experience that I detailed in the Android thread aside, what exactly do you want Swype to do that it doesn't? What do you want them to change besides just fixing the bugs? Do you want them to invent new letters or come up with a new layout?

I mean I like change for change's sake but Swype introduces so many bugs with every fix that I'm not sure I trust their wheel reinvention department enough to say they need to iterate faster.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

LastInLine posted:

My experience that I detailed in the Android thread aside, what exactly do you want Swype to do that it doesn't? What do you want them to change besides just fixing the bugs? Do you want them to invent new letters or come up with a new layout?

I mean I like change for change's sake but Swype introduces so many bugs with every fix that I'm not sure I trust their wheel reinvention department enough to say they need to iterate faster.
I'm going to give it another go but I wish there were some better themes, better emoji support, that it wouldn't sometimes think I'm trying to swipe while tap typing, and that I wouldn't hit the period instead of the space bar so often. But that last one is definitely more on me than them. It's been long enough that I don't remember more than those but I used to love Swype and it was my primary keyboard for years.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

datajosh posted:

I'm going to give it another go but I wish there were some better themes, better emoji support, that it wouldn't sometimes think I'm trying to swipe while tap typing, and that I wouldn't hit the period instead of the space bar so often. But that last one is definitely more on me than them. It's been long enough that I don't remember more than those but I used to love Swype and it was my primary keyboard for years.

Same. I've switched to Gboard recently and haven't looked back.

The only gripe I've had with Gboard is it doesn't do suggestion on web browsers or chrome at least

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

datajosh posted:

Now that they just have a stock theme and reworked the themes to I'm happy with the appearance, especially since they reworked the themes (at least the ones I've tried) so that the secondary characters are overlaid rather than a function of the theme. I could see where if looking like Gboard isn't your bag you might be disappointed in the themes though (they are so bad).

I've never had the swipe/tapping confusion but I'll admit I very seldom tap so that could be on me.

The emoji problems are bizarre and longstanding and if there's room for improvement it would be there that I'd focus if I were Nuance. I also miss the swipe-above-to-capitalize gesture but I can imagine there's a good reason to have dropped that and if you didn't use it from the beginning you'd never miss it.

vyst posted:

Same. I've switched to Gboard recently and haven't looked back.

The only gripe I've had with Gboard is it doesn't do suggestion on web browsers or chrome at least

That was it! I was trying to remember the biggest annoyance with Gboard and that was it. Thanks!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I've been using SwiftKey since it was in Beta, and I've not had any real issues with it. :shrug:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
If you're having issues with SwiftKey's suggestions, try having it import your data from connected accounts again to remind it of how you type. Microsoft seems to have done a good job of keeping it accurate for me.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

That was it! I was trying to remember the biggest annoyance with Gboard and that was it. Thanks!
This stopped being true for Chrome a while ago. Though it's still true for the Google launcher/widget search thing.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

This stopped being true for Chrome a while ago. Though it's still true for the Google launcher/widget search thing.

It was the search that would kill me. The fact that its swiping guesses weren't good combined with the fact that you couldn't even correct them meant every search was swipe, back, swipe, back, tap tap tap tap tap... gently caress it it's not worth it. Every. Single. Time.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
SwiftKey has a burp every now and then but at least I don't spend half my time retyping words input correctly because gboard randomly decided it should be something else, 3 sentences later. I don't like gboard but it is better for swiping. Luckily I can thumb type way faster than swype.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Gboard also doesn't suggest email addresses which is kind of annoying for form fields

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Interesting app from MS.

Makes it easy to transfer photos from your device to your Windows 10 PC.

Of course, Google Photos is even better, but if you're dumb and don't use Google Photos or you have bandwidth caps of some sort this might be a good solution.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Or just copy the folder to My Pictures over wLan?

Microsoft 5 years late to developing the already irrelevant SuperBeam

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

IDGI. Can't you just use OneDrive?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

....or Google Photos......

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
If you read Microsoft talking about it in other articles, the usage they made it for was students needing to put photos on a shared computer or otherwise get photos easily/instantly on to a computer that's potentially shared and not yours. And have multiple people doing it at once without having to sign in to anything.

It not meant for personal backups.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

....or Google Photos......

Uthor posted:

IDGI. Can't you just use OneDrive?

[

Thermopyle posted:

Interesting app from MS.

Makes it easy to transfer photos from your device to your Windows 10 PC.

Of course, Google Photos is even better, but if you're dumb and don't use Google Photos or you have bandwidth caps of some sort this might be a good solution.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Is there an app or way to determine what is actually consuming battery life? I swear it was better in the past versions of Android. I'm running a Nexus 6p on 8.1. When I go to Settings > Battery it shows me two apps (Chrome and Awful) that have consumed 15% of battery between them. When I tap the big Battery on top of that screen to get to "Advanced Battery Usage" it tells me Apps have consumed 59% of the battery and System 22% but then... there's nothing. No way to access that list of Apps that consumed the 59%. I've then went into Settings > Apps & Notifications and laboriously individually clicked on 50 or so Apps there, and not a single one other than Chrome or Awful shows a battery utilization of greater than 0%, 1%, or "none". (Chrome and Awful show 9% and 6% respectively) So where's that other 44% or so of App battery drain coming from? Suggestions on getting to that in Settings or if that's not possible an App that'll show the information appreciated!

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

You can install accubattery and enable usage stats to show app usage. If that doesn't tell you what you want to know you would need root and betterbatterystats

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Are there any Tumblr apps that don't suuuuuuuck like the official one does?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Blue Train posted:

You can install accubattery and enable usage stats to show app usage. If that doesn't tell you what you want to know you would need root and betterbatterystats

Thanks, I grabbed that guy and installed it. Still waiting for enough usage data to build up, but I assume it's a bad thing the battery "health" is at 57% of the approximate total from when the battery is new?

For everyone else, is there any substance to the app saying "only charge up to 80% and extend battery life 200%!!" I'm familiar with how the battery cycle/drain thing works with lith-ion but is the magic 80% number accurate?

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

MikeJF posted:

Are there any Tumblr apps that don't suuuuuuuck like the official one does?

Twitter is technically better but only because the user base can't cram as much garbage into one post

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Scaramouche posted:

For everyone else, is there any substance to the app saying "only charge up to 80% and extend battery life 200%!!" I'm familiar with how the battery cycle/drain thing works with lith-ion but is the magic 80% number accurate?

It's certainly the usual number that laptop manufacturers and even Tesla use for their "extend battery life" settings. Typically, they recommend keeping the battery in the 20-80% range.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

You don't need to worry about that on phones at all. The software very actively manages how the battery can be charged and discharged to extend battery life. The UI can and does lie to you very often about the actual battery percentage to make you feel better (saying it's 100% when it's actually not). You never need to think about this as a user, just make sure your phone isn't constantly getting to the point of auto-shutoff from low battery and you'll be fine.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
A lithium-ion battery will in fact last the longest time if it never gets much below 35% or much above 80%, and if it's meant to be stored unused for a very long time it should be discharged down to about 50% and then put in a freezer or other very low temperature place (of course making sure that no condensation forms on it, because you'll have to dry that out later on).

The thing is that sticking to those procedures usually isn't practical if you also want to use the device the battery goes to that often.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

fishmech posted:

A lithium-ion battery will in fact last the longest time if it never gets much below 35% or much above 80%, and if it's meant to be stored unused for a very long time it should be discharged down to about 50% and then put in a freezer or other very low temperature place (of course making sure that no condensation forms on it, because you'll have to dry that out later on).

The thing is that sticking to those procedures usually isn't practical if you also want to use the device the battery goes to that often.

Yes that is the problem. According to the battery app at 80% I'll get just under three hours of on-screen use. The odd thing is I swear this happened at the same time I did the 7->8 upgrade, so I thought something in there was hogging all the battery. Turns out it's looking more like battery fatigue after all.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Swype Keyboard is dead. Long live SwiftKey!

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Came to post this. Glad I use SwiftKey, but I've got a few friends that are gonna be pretty bummed by this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

This but Gboard.