Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Kazinsal posted:

This show is off the god damned rails and I love it.

Some really good shot framing in this episode. Big fan of the shallow focus in a couple of the interactions between Archie and Trenchcoat McNot-a-fed.

I loved the shot of Betty falling to sleep on her bed, where the camera rotated with her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Apparently Julie Plec (creator of The Vampire Diaries, as well as a lot of other CW brand shows, she's good at what she does) directed. Tempted to look up some of her other directorial stuff.

I was impressed they got Gregg Araki a few weeks back, he's a bit of a get.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Archie’s former-Pussycat girlfriend is in Altered Carbon. This would normally bug me except I can totally see Riverdale’s wealthy elite resurrecting into new sleeves.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ville Valo posted:

Archie’s former-Pussycat girlfriend is in Altered Carbon. This would normally bug me except I can totally see Riverdale’s wealthy elite resurrecting into new sleeves.

Would watch this crossover.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Unrelated, FP+Alice is my new favorite "couple" on the show. :3:

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Kazinsal posted:

Some really good shot framing in this episode. Big fan of the shallow focus in a couple of the interactions between Archie and Trenchcoat McNot-a-fed.

The horror movie framing and music cues during and right after blood clean-up duty.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

With how good the Capo Archie plot is, the Betty stuff is really losing me with how messy and plot-necessitated it is. Betty goes from finally getting suspicious of Chick to siding with him because Hal sucks. Which is fine, we're building up all the reasons to realize he is shady as gently caress and likely the Black Hood, but we still have 6 episodes to go before the finale.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Kazinsal posted:

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
This show is just insane, I honestly laugh out loud several times an episode out of incredulity.

Now Cheryl has a longbow?!?!

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
That last scene had me flashing back to Captain Oveur and Joey in Airplane!

"Archie, do you know what an Omerta is?"

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

rapeface posted:

This show is just insane, I honestly laugh out loud several times an episode out of incredulity.

Now Cheryl has a longbow?!?!

Of course she does, right?

Why was Hiram so pissed off at Veronica for getting the Mayor to resign? I get that it wasn't part of the plan, but it was a House of Cards level political move and those sorts of skills are going to be very useful to the family.

Also, lol at Archie being made.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Solkanar512 posted:

Of course she does, right?

Why was Hiram so pissed off at Veronica for getting the Mayor to resign? I get that it wasn't part of the plan, but it was a House of Cards level political move and those sorts of skills are going to be very useful to the family.

Also, lol at Archie being made.
I guess maybe they'd be worried that in the role of an attorney she might be more likely to go after them in court rather than just being a pawn to their plan in the role of the mayor? Or it could just be that he didn't like her going around him; I mean it's very likely that Veronica isn't used to the whole mobster game and she might slip up leading to the family getting into even more poo poo cause she wanted to be less devious.

Also I feel like we saw Cheryl use a long bow before for some reason; possibly to look sinister and dangerous (though she's definitely been waffling everywhere this season; first she burns her mom alive and seems like she's going to be torturing her, then she goes 'Single White Female' on Josie and starts to stalk/manipulate her, and now she just kinda whines a bit cause her mom is a prostitute.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

discworld is all I read posted:

Also I feel like we saw Cheryl use a long bow before for some reason; possibly to look sinister and dangerous (though she's definitely been waffling everywhere this season; first she burns her mom alive and seems like she's going to be torturing her, then she goes 'Single White Female' on Josie and starts to stalk/manipulate her, and now she just kinda whines a bit cause her mom is a prostitute.

I have to believe they are building up to a nuclear explosion with Cheryl.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Cheryl didn't burn her mom, though? The hospital situation at the beginning of the season confused me since we got a shot of Mama Blossom standing outside, looking pristine, and observing the fire. Didn't she run back in to try and save that one family photograph?

Cheryl's nuts, don't get me wrong, but she didn't exactly tie her mom to a chair and douse her with gasoline.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
I guess I'm not remembering it correctly; I know she set the fire and I feel like the mom was in the house when she set the fire and Cheryl didn't seem to care if she was in there or not. I mean Cheryl at least seemed pretty vindictive as she was standing over her mom wrapped in bandages in the hospital, right?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Mama Blossom healed so quickly because when you're so goddamned smoking hot a little fire isn't that big of a deal.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Rhyno posted:

Mama Blossom healed so quickly because when you're so goddamned smoking hot a little fire isn't that big of a deal.

No, no, you fools! It's whatever was in the Miskatonic crate.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
wow that’s a really bad continuity error re actor blocking

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Escobarbarian posted:

wow that’s a really bad continuity error re actor blocking

I dunno, Cheryl and the house look more in focus than her mom and that tree, it might just be a depth perception thing

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Whoever decided to add these extra weeks off can go right to hell

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

The Duggler posted:

Whoever decided to add these extra weeks off can go right to hell

Thank you The Olympics

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

GobiasIndustries posted:

I dunno, Cheryl and the house look more in focus than her mom and that tree, it might just be a depth perception thing

Cheryl's hair, though. Maybe the shots weren't contiguous in the episode? He's right, the blocking there is too egregious even for the CW.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Propaganda Machine posted:

Cheryl's hair, though. Maybe the shots weren't contiguous in the episode? He's right, the blocking there is too egregious even for the CW.

Yeah I just watched the scene and at the time it's not something you'd notice but it definitely would have worked better if they'd flipped the order of those shots.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Either way, that whole Imagine Dragons sequence is probably a top 5 moment in the show for me. It encapsulates the absurdity of Riverdale so perfectly.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Finally caught up on the last 2 episodes. "Bittersweet Symphony from the Cruel Intentions soundtrack" was one of the most ridiculous things ever. Like really, would people not recognize just "Bittersweet Symphony"?

This show reminds me a bit of Gossip Girl, though I'm not sure why since I never watched GG.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
haha that was especially ridiculous as a Brit where The Verve are still fairly well known even now

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

Finally caught up on the last 2 episodes. "Bittersweet Symphony from the Cruel Intentions soundtrack" was one of the most ridiculous things ever. Like really, would people not recognize just "Bittersweet Symphony"?

Well, Josie didn't really seem to know the song either way.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I totally forgot that Bettys dad and Cheryls mom are 1st cousins

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Shoehead posted:

I totally forgot that Bettys dad and Cheryls mom are 1st cousins

They are? I thought their respective dads were. Is both true?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Josh Lyman posted:

This show reminds me a bit of Gossip Girl, though I'm not sure why since I never watched GG.

I loved that line from Veronica, though it was still a bit dated b/c lol which teenager in tyool 2018 knows the original Cruel Intentions movie well enough to namedrop a song off the soundtrack. But it was cute and ridiculous.

And yeah the show has mad GG vibes but cranked to 11. Cheryl is like a crazier Blair Waldorf and Veronica is like a better adaptation of book Serena than show Serena was, it's a big part of why I latched onto Riverdale when it started.

e: like idk it's like someone reached into my brain and put together a bunch of things I love about GG and Twin Peaks and made some melodramatic Archie show

esperterra fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 4, 2018

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
I’m a GG fan and got into the show because it had that kind of vibe. Just a poorer, small town version. I think it’s kinda moved away from teen drama to more of a mystery show, which I’ve not loved. But I am addicted at this point.

The creators of GG made the new Dynasty reboot and that’s worth a watch when you need seriously trashy TV. Lots of name drops for designer brands, catfights, and kidnappings.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah Dynasty seems pretty fun. They also did Runaways which I thought was a good fit for Schwartz/Savage, though lol at the action scenes.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

esperterra posted:

e: like idk it's like someone reached into my brain and put together a bunch of things I love about GG and Twin Peaks and made some melodramatic Archie show

This's how I see it except I also include Veronica Mars thanks to Jughead and, to a lesser extent, Betty. The investigating, the writing. It's all there.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

cant cook creole bream posted:

They are? I thought their respective dads were. Is both true?

Oh yeah that's right. It's still gross though, I don't care how much of a fox Mrs Blossom is!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Cliff was Hal's second cousin iirc.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Yes but I think it's safer to assume the Blossoms were siblings than to assume they weren't.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I don’t know why you guys think this would stop anyone, nothing’s more pure than Blossom blood

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

esperterra posted:

Cliff was Hal's second cousin iirc.

Oh I'm sorry, you're right. She's his (second) cousin's widow! It's only inappropriate not abhorrent haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yer Burnt
Feb 26, 2007

Shoehead posted:

Oh I'm sorry, you're right. She's his (second) cousin's widow...
... who also share grandchildren.

• Locked thread