Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

I have the DVD box set. The memories stood the test of time a lot better.

Absolutely. Unless you like watching a car drive up and down the Docklands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

duz posted:

That would suppose anyone believed him in the first place.

The network did.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Mr Robot season 2 was amazing, full stop. Just have to stick with it.

Season 3 was awesome as well (all the feels), and I can't wait for 4.

The fact that they keep things grounded in reality is a huge part of what makes it so watchable.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Jaded Burnout posted:

Absolutely. Unless you like watching a car drive up and down the Docklands.

I do have a nagging desire to watch them all again though.

Edit: ^^ I appreciated the Bill & Ted reference in one of the later episodes of season 3.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I had a lot of trouble with that show because they did a really good job of getting the patter right, but all that does is get you up to the same level as someone talking about tables or decorating. They failed to then deliver on a compelling story, at least IMO.

Thanks Ants posted:

I do have a nagging desire to watch them all again though.

The problem is it'll never be 11am on a Saturday in 1996 ever again.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Season 2 gets hilariously terrible, because you can always see the exact moment in each episode they write themselves into a corner and contrive bullshit for a solution.

Writing themselves into a corner with technology and contriving bullshit solutions is why I stopped watching NCIS. I don't remember the exact episode but it was egregiously bad.

E: gently caress everything ever about Big Bang Theory and its stupid goddamn spinoff. Sheldon is a loving prick and his "friends" are all shitheads.

Mr. Robot is goddamn amazing though and actually has real hacking aka Elliot being a sneaky fucker and socially engineering his way into Iron Mountain to hook up a RAT.

dragonshardz fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 16, 2018

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

dragonshardz posted:

Writing themselves into a corner with technology and contriving bullshit solutions is why I stopped watching NCIS. I don't remember the exact episode but it was egregiously bad.

E: gently caress everything ever about Big Bang Theory and its stupid goddamn spinoff. Sheldon is a loving prick and his "friends" are all shitheads.

Mr. Robot is goddamn amazing though and actually has real hacking aka Elliot being a sneaky fucker and socially engineering his way into Iron Mountain to hook up a RAT.

Hey, now, that totally was not the trademarked brand of Iron Mountain, or even a reference to them, I'm sure. Bronze Hill or whatever it was definitely wasn't an analogue to any real institution.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah I appreciated the social engineering and breaching the network via an unsecured third party system over just getting in because it was somehow just connected to the internet.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah I appreciated the social engineering and breaching the network via an unsecured third party system over just getting in because it was somehow just connected to the internet.

My favourite was the prison break in season 1; scatter a bunch of malwared USB's outside and wait for a sucker.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Mr. Robot isn't on Netflix. :( And yeah the guy Scorpion is based on lied about everything of course, and Paige's role of 'translating for the awkward super geniuses' is dumb - but it seems to be less and less like that in S2. She mostly seems a normal member of the team except that all the others come up with the actual ideas (mostly). I have to admit that her relationship with Walter seems extremely forced.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Mr Robot is on Amazon Prime if you have that.

One of my favorite things about it is that, in S1 at least, each episode title had a different file extension, all of which were for standard video formats (.avi, .mp4, etc.)

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

guppy posted:

Mr Robot is on Amazon Prime if you have that.

One of my favorite things about it is that, in S1 at least, each episode title had a different file extension, all of which were for standard video formats (.avi, .mp4, etc.)

Oh, Sweet. Thank you. Didn't cross my mind to check amazon prime. It's not region blocked :)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

guppy posted:

In Season 2 the episode names are various encrypted files. Season 3 doesn't have a similar theme, but the season finale is called "shutdown -r".

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Fool posted:

<loving obvious "clue" spoiling the poo poo out of S1>

E: That was too harsh of me. But that was still a lovely thing to do, dude.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Feb 16, 2018

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
To be fair, it was really obvious from about half an hour in.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

What we're saying is that everyone who hasn't seen it should go binge watch Mr Robot right now because it's really good.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yeah, if you're a nerd.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Collateral Damage posted:

In Season 2 the episode names are various encrypted files. Season 3 doesn't have a similar theme, but the season finale is called "shutdown -r".

Well, that's a poo poo title. 'shutdown: time expected' :colbert:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pretty confident of getting renewed for another season, that -r

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Even bolder would be shutdown -r -t ($days until 1st episode of next season)

But i'm still on season 2, so i'm not sure what the implications is.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Proteus Jones posted:

E: That was too harsh of me. But that was still a lovely thing to do, dude.
Eh, on the one hand I know sort of how you feel because I had only watched a few episodes and have been meaning to get around to finishing at least the first season so that spoiled it for me too.

On the other hand I think in general claims of "spoilers" lose a lot of their merit after a few weeks to maybe a few months. The first season has been out on discs for over two years at this point, it's unreasonable to expect people will just not talk about it forever.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

wolrah posted:

Eh, on the one hand I know sort of how you feel because I had only watched a few episodes and have been meaning to get around to finishing at least the first season so that spoiled it for me too.

On the other hand I think in general claims of "spoilers" lose a lot of their merit after a few weeks to maybe a few months. The first season has been out on discs for over two years at this point, it's unreasonable to expect people will just not talk about it forever.

Some people take a few years to get to a series, it's just common decency to toss spoiler tags on at least the big reveals in a recently-aired show.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I loved Season 1 of Mr. Robot, but man Season 2 seemed really odd to me. Like it had just lost the plot and began this whole over the top crazy thing. I was half expecting it to go supernatural at the end. Hopefully Season 3 is better, I should check to see if it's up on Prime yet.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Antioch posted:

I loved Season 1 of Mr. Robot, but man Season 2 seemed really odd to me. Like it had just lost the plot and began this whole over the top crazy thing. I was half expecting it to go supernatural at the end. Hopefully Season 3 is better, I should check to see if it's up on Prime yet.

Considering it's a Prime exclusive it better be.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Antioch posted:

Yeah, there were some cool episodes but it just didn't really work. The twist at the end made me just stop caring too.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So an email came in...

Staples now does MSP support in Canada.. my boss is very unhappy about this

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

blackswordca posted:

So an email came in...

What the hell? This .... is terrifying.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

blackswordca posted:

So an email came in...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Oh wait, you're serious? I'mma laugh harder.

As someone who was employed by Staples for 5 years, good loving luck. That's going to be the largest shitshow to end all shitshows. They couldn't even get people to sign up for their cloud services, which sucked balls. What makes them think they can be an MSP?

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Avenging_Mikon posted:

As someone who was employed by Staples for 5 years, good loving luck. That's going to be the largest shitshow to end all shitshows. They couldn't even get people to sign up for their cloud services, which sucked balls. What makes them think they can be an MSP?

The country is filled with terrible MSPs, what's one more?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is your boss unhappy because he doesn't see how he's meant to be able to compete with the shower of poo poo that will be Staples IT Support Inc?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Did you know that Bruce Willis was dead the entire time in Sixth Sense?

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

Is your boss unhappy because he doesn't see how he's meant to be able to compete with the shower of poo poo that will be Staples IT Support Inc?

Hes worried they'll pull a Walmart. Undercut all the small MSPs and drive them out .

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

blackswordca posted:

The country is filled with terrible MSPs, what's one more?

I don't think you quite grasp that magnitude of how lovely Staples tech people are. Also, how few there are. In all of Edmonton, there were 2 competent technicians that could do on-site repairs for customers who wanted to pay for in-home services. And that was stuff that took an hour or two. Getting enough people to have multiple people capable of multiple hours at multiple clients per day is ludicrous. They're going to lose businesses the first time they say "I'm sorry, no one can be there today or tomorrow, does Thursday work for you?"

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I don't think you quite grasp that magnitude of how lovely Staples tech people are. Also, how few there are. In all of Edmonton, there were 2 competent technicians that could do on-site repairs for customers who wanted to pay for in-home services. And that was stuff that took an hour or two. Getting enough people to have multiple people capable of multiple hours at multiple clients per day is ludicrous. They're going to lose businesses the first time they say "I'm sorry, no one can be there today or tomorrow, does Thursday work for you?"

Years ago I applied at Staples to be a tech.. they told me I had to sit on a till for 1 year before I could do it.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I remember a few years ago I had to unfuck my neightbours PC after they tried to get it fixed at Staples. When they re-installed windows they somehow managed to install 2 copies of a bunch of drivers, causing those devices to not work. Staples declared that problem unfixable and gave a 50% refund. Only took me a few minutes on Google to fix, and I got $50. So I guess I should be thanking them?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

SEKCobra posted:

Considering it's a Prime exclusive it better be.

It's not on Prime yet.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I thought Mr. Robot was *only* on Prime?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Thanks Ants posted:

I thought Mr. Robot was *only* on Prime?

It's a USA show. They don't bleep any of the language on there either.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

blackswordca posted:

Years ago I applied at Staples to be a tech.. they told me I had to sit on a till for 1 year before I could do it.

When I worked at Staples, I launched our unofficial Tech Center. We were the top of non-Tech Center tech center sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

blackswordca posted:

What the gently caress? That must have been a manager angling to just get more cashiers or something. You dodged a bullet though. The longer I’m away from Staples, the more I recognize how terrible they are.