Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
you goons are gonna make me play Victoria 2 again and I'll spend hours on my little worker's paradise before the global economy collapses from a complete lack of machine tools or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Just a heads up that vicky 2 is 5 bucks on steam right now. The two expansions are 50% off as well so it's 20 for the game and both expansions.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Simplex posted:

Yeah as the US there's really only two bad things that can happen. You can do something incredibly silly like start a war with Britain for Canada. Or occasionally Great Britain will sphere Mexico, which is a serious issue for the US. Otherwise, Mexico is like a level one boss. Yeah at game start they are relatively equal. But even if you do everything wrong at game start, within about 20 years the massive power disparity between the two countries becomes really evident.

Yeah. You will almost certainly have the Mexican-American war near the game start and it's really hard to lose it. Typically I'm able to grab more than what America got in our timeline (Sonora + Chihuahua in addition to the West Coast)

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
Tbf didnt we only get what we did OTL because the person sent to negotiate the treaty was a huge anti war person and only took the minimum what they thought congress would accept?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

axeil posted:

Yeah. You will almost certainly have the Mexican-American war near the game start and it's really hard to lose it. Typically I'm able to grab more than what America got in our timeline (Sonora + Chihuahua in addition to the West Coast)

In a single war? Do you piggyback some wargoals onto the Texan war of Independence? My recollection is that the war score for California, New Mexico/Arizona, Utah, Colorado adds up to more than 100

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Yeah, that seems odd. When you intervene in the Texan war you can only go for the Status Quo goal so I don't see how you could grab any more that early. I've always had to grab the western states piecemeal as well since grabbing them all at once put you beyond capacity, even when they are cored and have a valid causus belli.

Then after that's done I keep marching down the peninsula for more. Then it's Canada's turn...

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
I've seen the AI US mess up somehow and end up chain declared on by GB, which is always interesting.

So try not to be as bad as the AI.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

VostokProgram posted:

In a single war? Do you piggyback some wargoals onto the Texan war of Independence? My recollection is that the war score for California, New Mexico/Arizona, Utah, Colorado adds up to more than 100

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Yeah, that seems odd. When you intervene in the Texan war you can only go for the Status Quo goal so I don't see how you could grab any more that early. I've always had to grab the western states piecemeal as well since grabbing them all at once put you beyond capacity, even when they are cored and have a valid causus belli.

Then after that's done I keep marching down the peninsula for more. Then it's Canada's turn...

Oh hm. Yeah maybe I do a follow-up war then? I'm not sure I've just done it a few times but my last Vicky 2 game was something like 3-4 years ago.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

axeil posted:

Oh hm. Yeah maybe I do a follow-up war then? I'm not sure I've just done it a few times but my last Vicky 2 game was something like 3-4 years ago.

That definitely used to be possible. I think the key was if you enacted manifest destiny before the Texas independence war ended. Then you could declare war on Mexico and claim all sorts of stuff. I think they changed the mechanics with AHD so that it's very difficult and dependent on luck to gain all of the cores in one war now.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

My favorite vicky 2 country is Czechoslovakia. good "ive played a game or 2 but im still new" game. Your a small, densly populated country with great powers on 3 sides and no navy to worry about. Good resources, and what your missing can be fixed by hitting gp status and sphering dudes.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Agean90 posted:

My favorite vicky 2 country is Czechoslovakia. good "ive played a game or 2 but im still new" game. Your a small, densly populated country with great powers on 3 sides and no navy to worry about. Good resources, and what your missing can be fixed by hitting gp status and sphering dudes.

Same, they've been a long time favourite. If you're careful and opportunistic you can carve out quite a central/baltic empire. It's always fun to build the Czech Navy.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Best nation is to play as whatever is roaming around in Nepal and do a world conquest.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Best first-timer nation to play?

Texas.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

I can't remember. Is there a decision for Texas to accept annexation after the war for independence if the us intervenes, or is it automatic?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

BgRdMchne posted:

I can't remember. Is there a decision for Texas to accept annexation after the war for independence if the us intervenes, or is it automatic?

It's a decision

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

It's a decision and you should always choose "NO."

:texas:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
why the gently caress is the Paradox store refusing to accept money from ICELAND of all places???

So much for Nordic Love!!!!1

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I usually declare a separate war on Mexico rather than intervening with Texas directly. From what I recall, it still works out well and ends up allowing you to grab some good territory, especially the territory that makes dyes (which are otherwise really hard to get outside of India).

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Deceitful Penguin posted:

why the gently caress is the Paradox store refusing to accept money from ICELAND of all places???

Maybe they keep thinking you're trying to pay them in EVE Online money.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

ExtraNoise posted:

Best first-timer nation to play?

Texas.

Texas is really fun.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I think their website is being weird. It won't take the card of mine it happily took last week for the stellaris pre-order.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Agean90 posted:

How do you play as Czechoslovakia in 1836?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

How do you play as Czechoslovakia in 1836?

start as austria, release them, click on play as with the dialogue box that opens up.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Doesnt one of the commonly used mods make Mexico cede territory if you occupy Mexico City?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Westminster System posted:

Doesnt one of the commonly used mods make Mexico cede territory if you occupy Mexico City?

Yeah I think it's Pop Demand Mod/Pops of Darkness where it fires a special event to Mexico if MC is occupied that forces them to unconditionally surrender all the US cores.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

hey im playing crusader kings 2, i marked a special event character (the talking to god female warrior) as special interest, she died and now i cant unmark her. right clicking her portrait doesnt do anything. is there a way to force remove her from my special interest list?

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

The Civil War in V2 is a pitiful wet fart that you'll resolve in months, not years.

Funny story about that...

So, General Order Eleven is issued and every free slave who wants a rifle can have one. The South is BTFO because in addition to facing a superior foe in the Union Army, they're also fighting a massive chain of slave rebellions hundreds of miles behind the front.

Lincoln hears this and orders the slaves disarmed, the union army to withdraw, and the slaves marched to the rebel lines in chains under a flag of peace.

Half of the slaves in America die. This is basically the Civil War in a nutshell.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

EdithUpwards posted:

So, General Order Eleven is issued and every free slave who wants a rifle can have one. The South is BTFO because in addition to facing a superior foe in the Union Army, they're also fighting a massive chain of slave rebellions hundreds of miles behind the front.

Lincoln hears this and orders the slaves disarmed, the union army to withdraw, and the slaves marched to the rebel lines in chains under a flag of peace.

Half of the slaves in America die. This is basically the Civil War in a nutshell.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Order_No._11_(1863) posted:

General Order No. 11 is the title of a Union Army directive issued during the American Civil War on August 25, 1863, forcing the evacuation of rural areas in four counties in western Missouri. The order, issued by Union General Thomas Ewing, Jr., affected all rural residents regardless of their allegiance. Those who could prove their loyalty to the Union were permitted to stay in the affected area, but had to leave their farms and move to communities near military outposts (see villagization). Those who could not do so had to vacate the area altogether.

While intended to deprive pro-Confederate guerrillas of material support from the rural countryside, the severity of the Order's provisions and the nature of its enforcement alienated vast numbers of civilians, and ultimately led to conditions in which guerrillas were given greater support and access to supplies than before. It was repealed in January 1864, as a new general took command of Union forces in the region.[1]

More than 140 years later, towns impacted by General Order No. 11 are still less developed than their neighbors.[2]

Nice story(?) bro

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

poo poo, guess I was wrong.

There were though, numerous occasions on which slaves were returned and killed. I remember that very clearly from an old book with marbled pages.
e:it just occurred to me that marbled pages do not historic accuracy make holy poo poo I think I owned myself

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Feb 19, 2018

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Man this thread has some real gold from time to time.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

EdithUpwards posted:

There were though, numerous occasions on which slaves were returned and killed. I remember that very clearly from an old book with marbled pages.
e:it just occurred to me that marbled pages do not historic accuracy make holy poo poo I think I owned myself

pretty sure your thinking of the fugitive slave act and all the crap from before the civil war. During the war slaves were kept in union territory (property confiscation you see) until the Emancipation proclamation was signed, where in the new freedmen could just do whatever.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Agean90 posted:

pretty sure your thinking of the fugitive slave act and all the crap from before the civil war. During the war slaves were kept in union territory (property confiscation you see) until the Emancipation proclamation was signed, where in the new freedmen could just do whatever.

The Emancipation Proclamation didn't extend to slaves in the union territory (the XIIIth Amendment did), including parts of Traitor States which have by then been brought under control.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

EdithUpwards posted:

Yeah, uh, there wasn't ever a "massive chain of slave rebellions" during the Civil War. Slaves running off the plantation to join the approaching Union Army? Plenty. Escaped slaves enlisting in the Union Army, sometimes in a combatant capacity (though more often non-combatant)? Absolutely. Massive organized armed slave revolt deep within the Confederacy? Absolutely not.

I mean, hell, think about the logic of what you're suggesting. Even if the Union declares that every slave who applies can get a rifle, how the hell is a slave "hundreds of miles behind the front" supposed to actually GET that rifle, or even hear about the act in the first place? The Union doesn't exactly have C-47s to airdrop supplies. And even supposing a slave managed an epic trek out past the front lines to get his rifle, why the hell would he infiltrate back with an army of his brethren to revolt in the South instead of just joining the Union Army? Hell, if they COULD infiltrate a whole army past the front lines, forget the slave revolts, they should just pop up in Richmond and decapitate the Confederacy's leadership there and then.

And even assuming that all this somehow happens and Lincoln goes completely insane and decides that a slave rebellion bringing down the Confederacy is a bad thing, how exactly is the Union Army supposed to disarm and re-enslave an army of rebellious slaves BEHIND the Confederate front? Did the Confederates just step aside to let the Union through? Where the heck did you get this story? It's basically completely nuts in every respect.

EdithUpwards posted:

Older books about the Civil War have a decent chance of being written by Lost Causers trying to convince everyone that the Confederacy was cool and good and was totally not fighting the war about slavery and also the Union sucked in every way, PS Jim Crow is awesome PPS Davis rules, Lincoln drools.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

that sounds an awful lot like a turtledove plot

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Naw, Turtledove books just copied and pasted historical events, changed the proper nouns, and added bad sex scenes. That's creatively nuts.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
How many wars have there ever even been which killed half a demographic?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I don't remember the exact figures, but the War of the Triple Alliance was insane for a 19th-century conflict.

Anyway I'm laughing at this goon who apparently had a fever dream and imagined a historical event that never happened, I thought he was talking about a Vicky 2 event chain or something

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Phlegmish posted:

I don't remember the exact figures, but the War of the Triple Alliance was insane for a 19th-century conflict.

Anyway I'm laughing at this goon who apparently had a fever dream and imagined a historical event that never happened, I thought he was talking about a Vicky 2 event chain or something

Insane for any conflict, not just the 19th century. Estimates vary, but tend around suggesting that 60-70% of all Paraguyan men died.

And yeah, for a while there I kept trying to work out if he was describing an event or a thing that happened to him in the game or what.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Arrhythmia posted:

Even the Korean War only killed 20% of North Korea's population.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Arrhythmia posted:

The thirty year war approached such levels in some places at least.