Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Punished "Venom" Snake is one of the most aesthetically-pleasing names in all of video game history.

Punished as both a strange descriptor and vaguely sounding like a given name, and "Venom" always in quotation marks, also descriptive but doubles as a nickname as opposed to the more formal title-like Punished

And it's portable enough that you can add "Punished" to anyone with an eyepatch and/or a horn and it works as a reference

my fav video game name is Stylish Alastor, the Midnight Thunderboy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Edge Maverick

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Real hurthling! posted:

Im like one colossus away from beating sotc and i have mixed feelings about the optional hints being both condescending and not helpful enough on a first play through and the puzzles relying on extremely slow enemies doing a finicky thing when they feel like it.
Apart possibly from the fourth one (or at least I never got the trick to making that one behave the way I wanted), all the colossi behaviors are deterministic. They don't do stuff because they feel like it, they do it because you did the thing that'd make them do it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

tap my mountain posted:

The best backflip is when he jumps off of a missile from the Hind D and shoots it down with the Nikita while still midair

What about the time they replaced "quickly runs past a doorway" with "does a flip over the doorway"

or "sees giant bipedal mech, tries to backflip into it, nothing happens because duh"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Chev posted:

Apart possibly from the fourth one (or at least I never got the trick to making that one behave the way I wanted), all the colossi behaviors are deterministic. They don't do stuff because they feel like it, they do it because you did the thing that'd make them do it.

the "trick" to colossus 4 is aggro it and make sure it sees you disappear into one of the barrows so it peeks in

the problem is that its pathfinding is quite bad and it may become distracted by agro or a pretty butterfly on the way to the entrance, and even if it doesn't, its windup to actually looking inside (it repeatedly stomps the ground around the entrance first and only looks inside to see if you died in the cave-in) takes so long that you might be tempted to go out and check where it is, and if it sees you then the whole process resets

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Poor colossus 4, thought of stomping wander and died

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Help Im Alive posted:

I think there's also a theory that it's a VR mission because there's a little VR diamond thingy hidden as an easter egg in the Rex hangar
Specifically the VR mission Raiden did his training in.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Accordion Man posted:

Specifically the VR mission Raiden did his training in.

Pretty sure that’s actually Ghost Babel though

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

codenameFANGIO posted:

Pretty sure that’s actually Ghost Babel though
Ghost Babel isn't Shadow Moses though which Raiden is said to have done, the theory is he did both.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Chev posted:

Pardon my phrasing thats not what i meant i meant it takes forever for them to do the thing you need cause they slow

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mega Man X has some good-rear end sound design.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mega Man X is a perfect game.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Looper posted:

The only mechanic I was really not a fan of was the bumpers in chapter six. Those just felt so much more finicky than everything else up to that point

Conversely I loooove the dream blocks from chapter two, pump that mechanic into my veins

It's not so much that I didn't like mechanics, it's just that some of them were just finicky enough that the thought of doing them perfectly over and over in a row just makes me shudder. Like the reason I think I keep feeling bad about not 100%ing the game is because I feel I could do it but there's also some mechanics that would make that hell when pushed to extremes (like the bumpers, the clouds, the dust mites, the angry block and even the feathers) and I know once I start a level, my brain is gonna force me through it no matter how miserable a room is making me and how much my hand is not cooperating, so I'm just gonna play other stuff instead.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i want a game like ftl but is inspired by the book railsea get to it devs

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Doorknob Slobber posted:

i want a game like ftl but is inspired by the book railsea get to it devs

Mortal Engines: The Game

(Faster Than London)

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

chumbler posted:

Mega Man X is a perfect game.

Every time I say this some jackass says it's only nearly perfect because the game forces you to backtrack to Flame Mammoth's stage to collect a power up. Big deal, one extra romp through a kick rear end level.

This is me getting in front of that dumb argument. As it stands, MMX is the most perfect video game.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Eh, Sigma's final form kinda sucks

Other than that, yeah, MMX is pretty much perfect.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Wildtortilla posted:

Every time I say this some jackass says it's only nearly perfect because the game forces you to backtrack to Flame Mammoth's stage to collect a power up. Big deal, one extra romp through a kick rear end level.

Does it really force you? Can't you just finish the game without being a completist?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the open beta for metal gear survive is running this weekend and it sounds like a tire fire but it's free so me and my friends are probably going to give it a spin, hope it turns out to be at least mediocre

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I mean I hope you like tower defense.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Wildtortilla posted:

This is me getting in front of that dumb argument. As it stands, MMX is the most perfect video game.

The only level you have to go back through for completion is Chill Penguin, not Flame Mammoth (and i guess armored armadillo for the hadouken if you want it)

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

The only level you have to go back through for completion is Chill Penguin, not Flame Mammoth (and i guess armored armadillo for the hadouken if you want it)

is there a way to get the boomer kuwanger heart without the boomer kuwanger boomerang

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’ve never played a Mega Man game

I wasn’t baptized either. I’m a pretty unique kind of guy :cool:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cowcaster posted:

is there a way to get the boomer kuwanger heart without the boomer kuwanger boomerang

Sure, if you want to spend hours getting a pixel perfect jump

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

You charge ice shot and ride the penguin sled.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also now that i'm thinking about it was there an easier way to get the gun upgrade than dash-jumping at the side of the blocks you need to break and kicking a few apart with your feet because i always remember that giving me trouble as a kid and if you broke a couple blocks and fell off you'd have to restart the level

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

The dash upgrade should either be in the tutorial or forced into the player's path somehow. Mega Man X is much worse if you don't start with Chill Penguin

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also i always went chill penguin -> storm eagle -> flame mammoth -> spark mandrill -> armored armadillo -> launch octopus -> boomer kuwanger -> sting chameleon because that was the order they were listed in the nintendo power review

not the nintendo power "guide to boss order" mind you, just the order they were listed in the review of the game

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Looper posted:

The dash upgrade should either be in the tutorial or forced into the player's path somehow. Mega Man X is much worse if you don't start with Chill Penguin

Yeah, I have to say this is 100% true. The dash power up being not optional (it's literally in your path) but also potentially in the last stage you play is super dumb.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Chill Penguin -> Kill yourself after getting dash boots but before stage is done -> Storm Eagle -> Launch Octopus -> Boomer Kuwanger -> Sting Chameleon -> then whatever

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Cowcaster posted:

the open beta for metal gear survive is running this weekend and it sounds like a tire fire but it's free so me and my friends are probably going to give it a spin, hope it turns out to be at least mediocre

doesn't it come out this weekend

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

I will challenge your last point only because Ghost Trick exists.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oddium posted:

doesn't it come out this weekend

hm, i checked and looks like it comes out next week tuesday, so basically a pre-launch free weekend

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I haven't played MMX enough to know the stage order off the top of my head

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Sakurazuka posted:

I haven't played MMX enough to know the stage order off the top of my head

well now you have plans for this weekend then!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
mmx is good and def the best x game but mega man zero 3 and 4 have spoiled me on how much smoother the movement feels and how much cooler the boss design is. sigma is kind of annoying last boss while omega zero is like, one of the best final bosses in any video game ever made

i wish zero 1 and 2 had less issues so that more people would play them to get to 3 and 4, and also that 1 and 2 had cutscene skip so they were as easy to replay

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 16, 2018

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
It's pretty impressive how uninviting the first couple of stages in Mega Man Zero are, which is a big shame because the rest of the game is pretty cool

Grinding for weapon skills is bad tho, and grinding for energy crystals for elves is really bad tho

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I wish the X/Zero style of more speed and combat focused platformers hadn't mostly died in favor of room full of spikes or metroidvania types. Not that there's a problem with either, but they don't scratch the same itch. I guess they're not profitable enough for bigger companies and people complain they're too short.

The only upcoming one I can think of is that dragon? one by the Mega Man Zero people, but I haven't seen anything about it of late. I guess there's also Gunvolt, but that hasn't clicked for me for whatever reason.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 16, 2018

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They exist but they're all roguelikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i hear mighty no. 9 turned out great

• Locked thread