Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
After shooting 25 enemies in the head in the battle quest I only had one ordinary arrow left for the duel at the end of it, and then the boss doesn't even have a helmet on. Quite an easy fight

Vastakaiun posted:

Oops I accidentally shagged Sir Divish's wife. I've lost control of my "righteous knight" playthrough, might as well lean into it now.

Oh nice I've been aiming for that, glad you can actually do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Because my FPS counter is semi off the edge of the screen I just noticed I'm not magically running the game better than everyone it's actually 30fps my game is capped at. It seems like this only happens at fullscreen, changing to a window and it jumps up to the mid 40s in raatay. Does anyone know anything about this issue?

I also just discovered after 8 or so hours of play that I am actually supposed to be able to jump and all my controller jank was a bug with the dualshock and steam (this might have been why I couldn't lockpick before but I haven't tested it... I was frequently jumping two selections in menus before though). If you're having computer control tooltips randomly and a different controller layout then what's shown (i.e. X sheathes your weapon instead of jumping) it can be solved by going back to using a xbox controller emulator and disabling controller support in steam.

SA_Avenger
Oct 22, 2012

Neurosis posted:

Wondering this myself. Currently investigating the murders out at the stud farm. Hasn't felt like there's been any point since I was at the miller's where there isn't some urgency.

Doing whatever I want and haven't done the hunt with hans yet. I can play dice, I can buy horses so not sure what's holding you back

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Where i can find lockpicks on the starting town?

Woohoo
Apr 1, 2008

Infinity Gaia posted:

My own question is when can I take a break from the plot after hunting with Hans? Will people get mad at me if I go do sidequests right now? I really wanted to get around to learning to read...

For some main quests, game doesn't let you go. When you get the Neuhof mission, better get to it or you'll fail a ton of quest stages. Although it will be still solvable.
There'll be a lot of time later.

Failing a quest isn't that horrible in this game, story-wise, but I get feels every now and then. I got to the point where I'm supposed to chase German Knight and to my surprise, found that I forgot to tend the dying Mercenary. So I felt quite lovely about this.
Also I was too lazy to do the plague investigation, made lovely choices and a prisoner died. Perhaps entire village, I haven't checked back.
At least game lets you save the bathmaid from Camp Raep even after you solve the rest of the minting quest.

Woohoo fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 16, 2018

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Sir Hans appears to have matured from 16 year old petulant prick to 19 year old university drinking buddy very quickly. I'm okay with that

Also I read if you don't save Theresa she manages to kill all three of those dudes in addition to saving you from Runt. Cool

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I want a DLC where you play as Hans and harass the little people

Also been trying the gallant knight approach, but context from other games and stuff has led me astray. It's real hard not to be a straight up dick in this game even when picking dialogue choices that seem ok.
Spoiler for the COPS section:
I was nice to the beggar, and only afterwards he tells me that beggars aren't allowed anywhere but the church. Hell, if I had known that, I would've told the beggar to gently caress off and not piss off the armorsmith she was fighting with.
Question for the intro:
Is there anyone to save after you run from town? I just beeline straight for the next town, but I think I saw someone said you can stop some guys from raping a woman? Is it Theresa?

I also can't do the dodge in a real fight. The parry I can do quite easily, but the little dodge escapes me.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 16, 2018

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Also, anyone find mounted combat to be worth a poo poo? I'm unhorsed very easily. Is there M&B type physics where I can ride by and slash and it'll do more damage or something? I'd really like some lances and to meet knights in an open field. drat when is Bannerlord coming out

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Early in my playthrough I knocked out the Rattay Bailiff and stole all his clothes. Now he just hangs out in his underwear, giving me quests and having little chats.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
A dabbing skeleton, found in some unmarked grave in the middle of some woods

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The writing in this is good in a weird way. Like there's real depth of character and characters even have arcs and change, but it's also melodramatic also to the point of camp (*cries over parents*). Choices are meaningful and have impact. It's not flashy-good like, say, Planescape:Torment or something but it's solid and it gets the job done.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
This game is definitely way better than it should be given that it's been years since the kickstarter and it's the developer's only game.

10 hours in and I'm feeling this game now. I've taken out a few bandit camps by sneaking up and ganking guys one at a time.

My skills are all around level 5 except lockpicking and stealth, but I'm confident enough in my sword abilities to actually fight bandits now. Bow is drat annoyingly hard to level but it's coming along and I picked it up fairly quickly, the only thing that really throws me off now is when I change arrows.

Regarding taking out guards, I've taken out at least a dozen in the town itself, nobody gets angry unless they see you do it or you leave the guard alive. However everyone in the town still hates me so I think you do have a town reputation even if your crimes aren't reported.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
How well does using archery targets work for leveling?

If I just stand right in front of a target can I speed-level it?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

PaybackJack posted:

This game is definitely way better than it should be given that it's been years since the kickstarter and it's the developer's only game.

It's made by the guy who wrote and designed Mafia and Mafia 2 and people from that team.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

PaybackJack posted:

Megazver posted:

It's made by the guy who wrote and designed Mafia and Mafia 2 and people from that team.

Ahhhhhhhh that makes more sense then

I'd basically written off this game two years ago as a wasted pledge, so it's really been one of the most pleasant surprises I've gotten from KS.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Seems like the source of arrows would be an issue.

I'm *really* bad at archery so far for some reason, it hasn't clicked yet. When I had to do the hunting rabbits quest in the main storyline I ran out of arrows and ran around sprinting after rabbits to stab them with the Seax and got more kills that way than I had with the bow.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Seems like the source of arrows would be an issue.

I'm *really* bad at archery so far for some reason, it hasn't clicked yet. When I had to do the hunting rabbits quest in the main storyline I ran out of arrows and ran around sprinting after rabbits to stab them with the Seax and got more kills that way than I had with the bow.

You can grab the ones you shoot.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

They don't work at all. I tried.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You can grab the ones you shoot.

I tried? They go poof or they aren't grabbable for me for some reason.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I tried? They go poof or they aren't grabbable for me for some reason.

That's really weird. I can recover every arrow I shoot unless they break or I lose it.

Also protip; don't just make a pile of poo poo to grab later. ALWAYS put it inside a container that's part of the environment. Otherwise it might disappear.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
So, everybody level up your Maintenance skill. At level 6 you get a perk called Stuffing and it is absurd. Stuffing makes the noise rating drop on equipment you have personally repaired. And by drop it means sets to 0.

Buy one of every type of small maintenance kits, put on your full 100% condition equipment, and practice sword training for a few minutes in Rattay with a wooden sword. After that, all your equipment should have a couple points of damage to it. Repair all of it and watch your Noise stat drop from 100 to 0.

Become the silent dude in plate armor.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Nalin posted:

So, everybody level up your Maintenance skill. At level 6 you get a perk called Stuffing and it is absurd. Stuffing makes the noise rating drop on equipment you have personally repaired. And by drop it means sets to 0.

Buy one of every type of small maintenance kits, put on your full 100% condition equipment, and practice sword training for a few minutes in Rattay with a wooden sword. After that, all your equipment should have a couple points of damage to it. Repair all of it and watch your Noise stat drop from 100 to 0.

Become the silent dude in plate armor.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That's really weird. I can recover every arrow I shoot unless they break or I lose it.

Also protip; don't just make a pile of poo poo to grab later. ALWAYS put it inside a container that's part of the environment. Otherwise it might disappear.

I need to start collecting these tips into some form of guide, all the online ones I've found so far have been crappy.

I'd also add "collect a shitload of herbs at the start" because there are two good perks from doing so, one for +2 Chr and one for +2 Vitality.

What else?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here's my dude so far:

Tier 5 horse with some basic gear, I'm rocking full plate with a jacket over it and chainmail under it is a fun look, you're also basically invincible. I was fighting 3 bandits at a camp just now, and the archer managed to kill the bandit leader by shooting him in the back of the head. Which did him a lot of good, as I immediately ran up and smashed his head in with my 1.4k gold handled legendary sword. I'm also loving the mace, be sure to get a mercy kill with it in some time. Oh! And do the riposte training with the fight training guy who hangs out at the combat arena and gives you the raid missions. It's apparently automatic if you time it right.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Hmm. Here are some:

Books are completely readable if you are good at word jumble. It literally just scrambles the letters in the words if you don't have the reading skill. utnrs -> turns, hte -> the, wto -> two. I was able to read the alchemy book with no issues and learn how to make Saviour Schnapps right at the start of the game.

The huntsman in Rattay gives you a quest to capture some birds. Well, that area where you capture birds is also COVERED in Belladonna, the key ingredient to making Saviour Schnapps. They can be difficult to see during the day, and have an annoying "hitbox" for picking, so you may have just passed them up. Use your torch at night and go crazy. By the time I finished that mission, I had 80 of them, which is enough for 40 Saviour Schnapps.

If you are getting yourself wrecked by dudes in full armor, buy yourself a big hammer. Don't neglect that blunt damage. Whack the dude in the head a few times and make him regret life. I now always carry a longsword and a big hammer to cover all of my bases.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
After reading about someone in this thread raving about the Piercer sword, I saved up, and grabbed it. It's very effective at the stabbing attack, and helped me breeze through the bandit raids which were a blast. But now I'm reading that blunt/maces might be more effective against heavily armored dudes? I do find when I encounter the Cuman ambushes, they are effective at blocking many of my stabbing attacks.
^^^Edit - whoops, the guy above me basically answered my question. I'll give that a try tonight^^^

On another note, I have an apparently common bug with the Nightengale quest. When I return with the birds, and hand them over, the game bugs out, and I'm stuck in the dialog screen with nothing happening. Anyone else get this bug?

Edit: Oh crap - I might be hosed:
Once you've gotten all three birds, return straight to the Huntsman and turn into the quest. Do not, DO NOT, save and load a game after you get the last bird. There's a bug that can happen that makes the quest incompletable.
Once you turn in A Bird in the Hand to Berthold, then you can save and rest easy since this is the buggiest quest I've run into so far.

Hopefully they patch that.

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 16, 2018

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
The piercer is good up until people start getting full faced helmets, but that just means you have to stab them four to five times instead of once in the face.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

The huntsman in Talmberg has an easy chest in his attic containing 200 gold and a skinning skill book and a bunch of other poo poo. This is his supply as a merchant, meaning it resets after some number of days. Stop in every time you're moving through the area for some easy money.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Clanpot Shake posted:

The huntsman in Talmberg has an easy chest in his attic containing 200 gold and a skinning skill book and a bunch of other poo poo. This is his supply as a merchant, meaning it resets after some number of days. Stop in every time you're moving through the area for some easy money.

Others:

-- getting lockpicks from Fritz in the beginning as discussed above

-- "stolen goods" laundering by selling them to a merchant and buying them back

edit: Where the gently caress is the best place to get a shovel?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 16, 2018

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Kragger99 posted:

On another note, I have an apparently common bug with the Nightengale quest. When I return with the birds, and hand them over, the game bugs out, and I'm stuck in the dialog screen with nothing happening. Anyone else get this bug?

Yup. I have 6 kg of birdcages stuck in my inventory, eating up weight, because I can't turn the quest in or stash them in my trunk / horse.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Pwnstar posted:

Early in my playthrough I knocked out the Rattay Bailiff and stole all his clothes. Now he just hangs out in his underwear, giving me quests and having little chats.

Hah, I did the same thing. His fancy clothes and nice mace are still in service as I slowly scrounge up coin to get some decent stuff of my own. It's really funny how he doesn't bother getting any other clothes. Wonder what happens if you kill him before the quest where he's necessary, though?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

SA_Avenger
Oct 22, 2012

Jusupov posted:

A dabbing skeleton, found in some unmarked grave in the middle of some woods

carrying the shovel around or was the grave opened?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

SA_Avenger posted:

carrying the shovel around or was the grave opened?

Always keep your spade on your horse.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Make sure you're looting bladed weapons off your victims and repairing them at a grindstone for free maintenance XP. They also tend to sell pretty well so are generally worth picking up anyway.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I'm wanted in Uzhitz for reasons I don't understand. I finished the witch quest and I think I got in trouble for looting the women after they're killed by loggers before turning it in. I was not wanted on my way out of town so it's the only thing I can figure. The icon is money falling out of a purse - I'm guessing this means stealing?

I'm also wanted in Sassau because I dropped a stolen pair of pants on the ground trying to free up weight and then picked them back up. Witness saw me drop some pants and pick them back up and knew they didn't belong to me :rolleyes:

To make matters worse I left my horse in the middle of town and now I'm stuck on foot because gently caress taking responsibility for that.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Clanpot Shake posted:

I'm wanted in Uzhitz for reasons I don't understand. I finished the witch quest and I think I got in trouble for looting the women after they're killed by loggers before turning it in. I was not wanted on my way out of town so it's the only thing I can figure. The icon is money falling out of a purse - I'm guessing this means stealing?

I'm also wanted in Sassau because I dropped a stolen pair of pants on the ground trying to free up weight and then picked them back up. Witness saw me drop some pants and pick them back up and knew they didn't belong to me :rolleyes:

To make matters worse I left my horse in the middle of town and now I'm stuck on foot because gently caress taking responsibility for that.

If it's actually 'your' horse can't you just whistle him back? Just hit X.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Futuresight posted:

Make sure you're looting bladed weapons off your victims and repairing them at a grindstone for free maintenance XP. They also tend to sell pretty well so are generally worth picking up anyway.

See this is the good poo poo I'm talking about right here.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Nalin posted:

Always keep your spade on your horse.

I've lost a few grave robbing opportunities by not having a spade with me at all times :(

Tips for getting 50 headshots:
Wear good armor
Let enemies come close
Shoot in the eye

Half my kills were from the main quest mission. I said earlier that it was 25 or so and 16 of them were from the "scouting" that I did there. I presume they respawn infinitely there before you clear the camp.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

So, I've only just gotten started, still in what appears to be the prologue. I've just arrived in Talmberg, and I'm wondering: is there a way to get out of that place on good terms? Everybody there seems like pretty chill people, so I'd rather not sneak out under their noses against their specific wishes just to go cuddle some corpses.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Infinity Gaia posted:

If it's actually 'your' horse can't you just whistle him back? Just hit X.

Uhh I'm not sure? I took it from Talmberg when I was dressed as a guard. It wasn't marked as stealing and looked like the one I arrived on so I figured he was mine. It never did respond to whistling though. Is this game supposed to be like the witcher where the horse just magically appears behind you when you call?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Clanpot Shake posted:

Uhh I'm not sure? I took it from Talmberg when I was dressed as a guard. It wasn't marked as stealing and looked like the one I arrived on so I figured he was mine. It never did respond to whistling though. Is this game supposed to be like the witcher where the horse just magically appears behind you when you call?

Yeah you don't actually 'have' a horse yet. Once you do actually own a horse it gets its own inventory tab and saddlebags to store stuff in and suchforth and you can summon it by whistling. Do more main story.