Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

i hear mighty no. 9 turned out great

From the hour I played the movement in that game actually feels pretty fun but everything else...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

In Training posted:

They exist but they're all roguelikes

20xx loving suuuuuuucks for how it captures the controls of zero really well and then just slaughters everything that was good about it with garbage procgen

Help Im Alive posted:

From the hour I played the movement in that game actually feels pretty fun but everything else...

there are individual things in mn9 that feel decent, the problem is they're all things that are done better in other games

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Did anyone play Battle Chasers: Nightwar? I'm considering grabbing it because it seems like a pretty OK turn-based RPG but I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's played it as to whether it's any good.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

The Colonel posted:

there are individual things in mn9 that feel decent, the problem is they're all things that are done better in other games

yeah someone went through and made a whole list of these games

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

oddium posted:

yeah someone went through and made a whole list of these games

mega man x7 does not feel better than mighty number 9

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

X7's music is way better at least.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

The Colonel posted:

mega man x7 does not feel better than mighty number 9

m-my joke......

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Maybe if Mega Man 11 and the X collections sell well enough we'll finally get a new X game.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I don't want a new X game. They didn't even know how to make them for half the drat series, I'd hate to see how bad a new one could be.

Just do Maverick Hunter X2.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

chumbler posted:

I wish the X/Zero style of more speed and combat focused platformers hadn't mostly died in favor of room full of spikes or metroidvania types. Not that there's a problem with either, but they don't scratch the same itch. I guess they're not profitable enough for bigger companies and people complain they're too short.

The only upcoming one I can think of is that dragon? one by the Mega Man Zero people, but I haven't seen anything about it of late. I guess there's also Gunvolt, but that hasn't clicked for me for whatever reason.

If you haven't played Bleed, do that. The sequel also just came out and is supposed to be good but I haven't played it.

Also Mega Man 11 is coming at some point.

In general i don't think linear 2D run and gun platformers are that rate these days, it's just they aren't done well that often.

Hell if you're including swordplay in with combat, the genre of fast linear combat oriented 2D platformers is even less uncommon

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 16, 2018

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Isn't Cuphead supposed to be pretty good

When's Contra 5

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I've been doing a programming bootcamp for the last few weeks and am finally at the point where I can do some stuff on my own. I just started a side-project that will let you input what kind of game you want (genre, length, difficulty and such) and then will return a list of games you own that fit. Well, at the moment you have to manually enter your games since I don't know how to mess with the Steam API just yet, but I'll get there. It's exciting!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

cuphead is outstanding but it's 90% just boss fights and the smattering of stages it has are extremely short and pretty simple

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah I love cup head but it ain’t a platformer type game. I did play Mighty no 9 and boy that was a clusterfuck of a mess. The level designs were very inconsistent. Some levels were good and some were just spikes all over. Worst is the sniper level. Die? Gotta start all over in the most linear level that sucks.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

Isn't Cuphead supposed to be pretty good

When's Contra 5

I'm playing Contra 5 just now. Cost me 10,000 yen but I finally got a jackpot.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Cursed images...

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

I've been doing a programming bootcamp for the last few weeks and am finally at the point where I can do some stuff on my own. I just started a side-project that will let you input what kind of game you want (genre, length, difficulty and such) and then will return a list of games you own that fit. Well, at the moment you have to manually enter your games since I don't know how to mess with the Steam API just yet, but I'll get there. It's exciting!

hey thats cool, i did one too. what kind of bootcamp is it?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Kirby manatee power looking good

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Stexils posted:

hey thats cool, i did one too. what kind of bootcamp is it?

It's .Net Framework. We're still just focused on C# at the moment, though I suspect we're getting to the point where things are going to get more complicated.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

al-azad posted:

I'm playing Contra 5 just now. Cost me 10,000 yen but I finally got a jackpot.

I hate this post.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Just bought Prey, Evil Within 2, and Little Nightmares. On top of finishing these last few chapters for Deadly Prem, the last couple of bosses in Demon's Souls, the last dungeon in Persona 5, and maybe 9S' chapter I've got a full and pleasant dead white guys' weekend.

GUI posted:

I hate this post.

Life is suffering.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Final Fantasy 12 is my jam this month. I used to hate this game back on PS2 but the remaster adding auto save, two classes per person, and fast forward is really making it shine. drat impressive looking for a PS2 game, too. I’m having tons of fun doing all the hunts and optional bosses and stuff. Plus I found some awesome equipment deep in the luhsu mines and now everyone is even more OP.

Making numbers go up is fun.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If I have the grave hoard mission open about how much longer is left in Horizon? I feel like I've had my fill with open world stuff and just want to beeline to the end.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

al-azad posted:

If I have the grave hoard mission open about how much longer is left in Horizon? I feel like I've had my fill with open world stuff and just want to beeline to the end.

About 10-12 hours if you just rushed the story.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

man nurse posted:

Final Fantasy 12 is my jam this month. I used to hate this game back on PS2 but the remaster adding auto save, two classes per person, and fast forward is really making it shine. drat impressive looking for a PS2 game, too. I’m having tons of fun doing all the hunts and optional bosses and stuff. Plus I found some awesome equipment deep in the luhsu mines and now everyone is even more OP.

Making numbers go up is fun.

:yeah: FF12 is good as hell

al-azad
May 28, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

About 10-12 hours if you just rushed the story.

Uhhh 10-12 hours from where I'm at or total???

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

From where you are at.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I know I'm many pages behind but I owned Sheep Dog n Wolf when I was a kid and loving loved it

al-azad
May 28, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

From where you are at.

drat, and here I thought I was reaching the end.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I know I'm many pages behind but I owned Sheep Dog n Wolf when I was a kid and loving loved it

:yeah:

https://twitter.com/oleivarrudi/status/963775851186872320

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I never got that far because I was a kid and very bad at games

I should honestly give it another shot

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

https://twitter.com/BandaiNamcoUS/status/964611715240378368

A day after the rumors about the Sonic kart racing game...

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
New Sonic All Stars Racing?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think it's supposed to just be a more direct Sonic Kart game but it's still being made by Sumo so it should still own

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Put Noodle in a kart, imo.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

glam rock hamhock posted:

I think it's supposed to just be a more direct Sonic Kart game but it's still being made by Sumo so it should still own
Eww, why would just want Sonic and his friends and not all the superior non-Sonic Sega characters?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

if sonic calls, let it go to voicemail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Every day Sonic calls Mario and leaves 6 messages on his phone asking for money to feed his chili dog habit.

• Locked thread