Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

unknown posted:

- The UAP-AC-IW isn't as good an AP as you'd think by specs. It's not 1-to-1 replaceable with the standard ceiling APs. Ie: you're installing an AP in a suboptimal spot (low down near floor), and then surrounding it with a building materials (ie: the wall you're installing it in and maybe even the metal gang box). Look at doing the ceiling mounts. Life will be much better.

Still considering this for my shop (with the power injector at the point of the device, rather than transmitting power out to the shop). The installation point would be a corner about 9' off the ground, open view of the whole area, which is only 26x32. If I go with an AC lite, I'll have to put in a switch there to support the one hard-wired computer. With this, I get wifi and a hard port or two (I assume the PoE out can be disabled? If not, just one port is fine), for just $10 more than an AC lite. Thoughts? I feel like even a poo poo quality AP here would be fine, given the circumstances. But if it won't, I really don't want to waste my time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Feenix posted:

Wait... hang on. I was considering mesh. We do a lot of Netflix, Plex from my Mac to Apple TV and online poo poo with PS4 and Nintendo switch.

I haven’t done a ton of Mesh research but I’d never heard this was a drawback...

I've never really been satisfied with online gaming over Wifi. It will work like 99% of the time, but still gives me occasional hiccups. Same issue with in-home streaming. This all depends on a lot of variables in your set up though. I've had more luck if only one end of the chain is wireless. For example, I have a steam link so I can play PC games on my 55" tv. If both the steam link and my PC are wired, it works great. If the PC is wired, but the steam link is on wifi, it's fine most of the time. If both are on WiFi, it's like 95% acceptable.

Netflix, etc, probably won't be an issue because it usually uses a decent buffer because it's not in real time.

I've mentioned this a few times before, but if you can't run ethernet, and your wiring supports it, I would recommend powerline networking in conjuction with some strategically placed WAPs. Almost all of my "important" devices are linked with powerline adapters. Wifi is basically just for phones, smart thermostat, video doorbell, solar panel inverter, and laptops if they are being used away from my desk.

I may be going overboard, but I have just been too frustrated by Wifi since it was first invented.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I use MoCa but my philosophy is the same. If it has an Ethernet jack and it spends its time sitting in one place, it gets a wired connection. Wifi is only for things that move or things that don't have Ethernet jacks.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Okay, I think I have a final draft of my network plans. I know I talked about still going with the UAP-AC-IW for the shop yesterday, but as I thought about it, I realized there's a high likelihood of wanting to put some cameras and such in there, for security, safety, and fun, so it'd be nice to have more ports, and have them be PoE at that, so I decided to just get a second US-8-60W for the shop. Room for growth. And this way I'll just mount the AP lite dead center on the ceiling, about as optimal placement as it could possibly have. And I threw in a cloud key because to hell with it, if I'm going nuts, I might as well go nuts.

The exterior AP is still up in the air, but that's okay, I don't need that until it stops being cold as hell around here. And besides, the one I was looking at it legacy, so it might get phased out soon anyhow. Bummer though: the only other unifi options that have the operating temperature range I need are the mesh APs.

So anyhow, if someone who knows ubiquiti kit could just take a final glance at that, mostly looking for one final sanity check, and whether the PoE expectations are all correct.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Bad Munki posted:

The exterior AP is still up in the air, but that's okay, I don't need that until it stops being cold as hell around here. And besides, the one I was looking at it legacy, so it might get phased out soon anyhow. Bummer though: the only other unifi options that have the operating temperature range I need are the mesh APs.

UAP-AC-Pro is indoor/outdoor

You can also use the "mesh" UniFi access points without actually taking advantage of the "mesh" functionality.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 8, 2018

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Armacham posted:

I've never really been satisfied with online gaming over Wifi. It will work like 99% of the time, but still gives me occasional hiccups. Same issue with in-home streaming. This all depends on a lot of variables in your set up though. I've had more luck if only one end of the chain is wireless. For example, I have a steam link so I can play PC games on my 55" tv. If both the steam link and my PC are wired, it works great. If the PC is wired, but the steam link is on wifi, it's fine most of the time. If both are on WiFi, it's like 95% acceptable.

Netflix, etc, probably won't be an issue because it usually uses a decent buffer because it's not in real time.

I've mentioned this a few times before, but if you can't run ethernet, and your wiring supports it, I would recommend powerline networking in conjuction with some strategically placed WAPs. Almost all of my "important" devices are linked with powerline adapters. Wifi is basically just for phones, smart thermostat, video doorbell, solar panel inverter, and laptops if they are being used away from my desk.

I may be going overboard, but I have just been too frustrated by Wifi since it was first invented.

Thanks for the info... I think the way I have my WiFi set up it hasn’t hosed me over gaming, so if I can get a mesh network that isn’t “worse” in that department, I’d be ok.

So in my old house, Powerline Ethernet tripped my circuits. In my new house, no trips, but the umm, throughput lights (red, yellow, green) are nearly never ever better than yellow. So I’m not sure if something is poo poo there...

You also reminded me I think my PS4, VOIP is jibbed off that Powerline Ethernet; so maybe all this gaming worry is moot and I just get the best Mesh for regular use as long as it has Ethernet ports?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

CrazyLittle posted:

UAP-AC-Pro is indoor/outdoor

You can also use the "mesh" UniFi access points without actually taking advantage of the "mesh" functionality.

Operating temp isn’t good enough on the pro, it’s only specced down to +14F. The unit I was looking at, the legacy UAP-Outdoor-5, is specced to -22F, but even that can be marginal here, we’ve hit that a few times. Same for the UAP-AC-M. The UAP-AC-M-PRO is good to -40. But I was thinking you didn’t get both bands on the mesh hardware, you’d only get 2.4 for the AP and then 5 was used for the mesh itself, but maybe that’s not the case?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Bad Munki posted:

But I was thinking you didn’t get both bands on the mesh hardware, you’d only get 2.4 for the AP and then 5 was used for the mesh itself, but maybe that’s not the case?

It'll be fine.

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/UAP-AC-M-as-a-wired-outdoor-AP-No-Mesh/td-p/1906237

Both UAP-AC-M and UAP-AC-M-Pro have two radios in them, one 2g and one 5g. If you use wireless backhaul, it will use one of the two radios in client mode to connect to another access point

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Feb 8, 2018

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Okay, well, I'd probably go with the UAP-AC-M-Pro then, as the operating temperature is much better suited to my location. But I'll wait until spring, I don't really feel like climbing 20' up a ladder on uneven ground in the snow. :haw:

I guess I'm gonna start pulling triggers on this stuff then.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So, more Mesh Chat. In preparing to get a mesh network I am testing my existing Airport Extreme Base Stations dbm throughout my house.

Best result was about 6 feet (unobstructed) from the router at 30

Average results mid house are about 50-60.

Worst spots were mid-70's.

I don't know a ton about what to expect with Mesh but I am indeed hoping for an improvement.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
I've got the Asus Dark Knight, is it still good? Do I need an upgrade?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Are you Batman?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

So what kind of router would give full gigabit throughput with pfsense? I assume something like a QOTOM fanless PC with an i7-4500U & 4 I211-AT should be OK?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Odette posted:

So what kind of router would give full gigabit throughput with pfsense? I assume something like a QOTOM fanless PC with an i7-4500U & 4 I211-AT should be OK?

Do you mean just simple NAT routing, or do you mean deep packet inspection and IPSEC and other CPU-heavy things? Any modern core-based x86 CPU can handle full gigabit routing in most situations. pfsense routers are massively overpowered for home usage.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

El Generico posted:

I've got the Asus Dark Knight, is it still good? Do I need an upgrade?

I'm still happy with mine. It's continuing to get regular updates through Merlin's firmware, and I haven't felt any pressing need for 802.11ac in my apartment yet.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

Do you mean just simple NAT routing, or do you mean deep packet inspection and IPSEC and other CPU-heavy things? Any modern core-based x86 CPU can handle full gigabit routing in most situations. pfsense routers are massively overpowered for home usage.

Pretty much always-on VPN, filtering (using squid), adblocking, and a couple of other things.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004
Edit: never mind I found a solution that works

Big Nubbins fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 14, 2018

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I have the Archer C7 router (its...fine) in an old chicago apartment. Urban density, not much opportunity to wire stuff up, etc. I am soon cutting the cord and (probably) trying out youtube tv. I am a bit worried about all the extra streaming, even if the main tv is a wired connection. As a technically adept but network newbie, would considering a setup overhaul to the recommended Ubiquiti stuff be worth it? My main concern is stability obvious bonus points if it'll help the wireless network hold up to more streaming.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Odette posted:

I haven't done performance testing with pfsense, but when I tried iptables as a home router running on an (Atom) Celeron N3150 it was mostly idling even with a gigabit uplink. I suspect any 'real' processor should have no problem, and the guide I used as a reference on Ars had a U-series Celeron much weaker than that i7 in its test machine.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I recently switched from a netgear n600 to an edgerouter x. My PS4 is wired, but the upload test speed is way lower now on the ER-X than it was on the Netgear. I’ve got Fios 100/100 but I’m only seeing 95/25 when I was seeing around 100/100 before. I didn’t have any special DNS or port forwarding selected on either router. I’ve set up the ER-X with the LAN+2WAN2 wizard. Any suggestions?

I’ve also got an AC Lite that is seeing 100full instead of the open 1000 but I haven’t checked the cables or anything yet so that’s not a problem yet.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

El Jebus posted:

I recently switched from a netgear n600 to an edgerouter x. My PS4 is wired, but the upload test speed is way lower now on the ER-X than it was on the Netgear. I’ve got Fios 100/100 but I’m only seeing 95/25 when I was seeing around 100/100 before. I didn’t have any special DNS or port forwarding selected on either router. I’ve set up the ER-X with the LAN+2WAN2 wizard. Any suggestions?

I’ve also got an AC Lite that is seeing 100full instead of the open 1000 but I haven’t checked the cables or anything yet so that’s not a problem yet.

I think you gotta turn on hardware offload.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ubiquiti/comments/4t09l2/edgerouter_x_wan_to_lan_throughput/

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

You used to need a Xeon to drive wirespeed gigabit on pfSense, these days you can get 200GbE NICs, because 100GbE is too slow.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

There is an excellent official article, so lets link to that and not reddit:
https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115006567467-EdgeRouter-Hardware-Offloading-Explained

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

New apartment, new networking setup! Oh boy!

I'll have to draw up a diagram later, but I already resigned to the fact that I'll be running a flat CAT5e under our living room area rug.

I am so glad I decided to buy switches a couple years ago that Just Work(tm).

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

DizzyBum posted:

New apartment, new networking setup! Oh boy!

I'll have to draw up a diagram later, but I already resigned to the fact that I'll be running a flat CAT5e under our living room area rug.

I am so glad I decided to buy switches a couple years ago that Just Work(tm).

Flat, white CAT6 that comes with clear wall hangers is fairly cheap these days. It becomes invisible if you're running it along a baseboard or close to the ceiling. Presuming your walls are white.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

At work we got bought out by a large company and they came in and are trying to make the office wireless. Not sure what any of this is:

Will post with blurred out stuff

Piggy Smalls fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 16, 2018

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

bobfather posted:

Flat, white CAT6 that comes with clear wall hangers is fairly cheap these days. It becomes invisible if you're running it along a baseboard or close to the ceiling. Presuming your walls are white.

The walls are white, yeah. But honestly, I think it's going to be way easier to just run it straight across the floor and hide it under the rug. The cable modem and router combo box are on one side of the living room and my computer desk is directly across on the other side. If I ran a cable around the room, it would need to be at least 50ft and I would have to traverse the front door and a sliding glass door.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 16, 2018

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Piggy Smalls posted:

At work we got bought out by a large company and they came in and are trying to make the office wireless. Not sure what any of this is:

You should probably blur out some of the info on those images. You've got serial #s and other info plainly visible.

Inept fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 16, 2018

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Man, this unifi stuff is amazing. What a world we live in.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Piggy Smalls posted:

Will post with blurred out stuff

Your home got bought out? That's harsh

Bad Munki posted:

Man, this unifi stuff is amazing. What a world we live in.

They're not reinventing the wheel. They just made it affordable.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

CrazyLittle posted:

Your home got bought out? That's harsh

lmao, nice

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

CrazyLittle posted:

They're not reinventing the wheel.
Oh, I know, but

quote:

They just made it affordable.
What a world we live in. :)

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Here is a stupid question, I have a house with no Ethernet ports, I have Powerline Adapters that I usually run to get Ethernet where wireless won't do; however these things suck in this house. I have FiOS running through coax and I've turned the ISP provided router into a bridge so I can use my own router.

If I run a lan cable from my router to the bridged FiOS router and stick a MoCA adapter on the other side (elsewhere in the house), would that work?

My gut says no but I'm not really sure... I would expect I'd have to have an adapter on both sides for them to pair? If a throw an adapter in between the wall and the bridge, would that work? If yes how badly would it affect the bandwidth?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

My SB6141 keeps shutting down daily and I don't know if its the modem or the apartments fault. The wiring is old though i've had several people check the lines and they said it was fine. Is there any way I can test it out? I read a couple of the SBs had this problem.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

RBX posted:

My SB6141 keeps shutting down daily and I don't know if its the modem or the apartments fault. The wiring is old though i've had several people check the lines and they said it was fine. Is there any way I can test it out? I read a couple of the SBs had this problem.

Define shutting down. Does it power off? If not, can you get to it from 192.168.100.1 when it's misbehaving?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

It drops connection and I cant do anything until I reset it.

FlyWhiteBoy
Jul 13, 2004
I've been using a Netgear R6700 but I just upgraded to a Gigabit WAN connection and I use a VPN. The router cant handle it anymore I'm guessing I need something with a more powerful CPU. I'm thinking of going with Ubiquiti but I don't know which model, or a Linksys WRT AC3200. Someone pick for me!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Get a Ubiquiti router and use the R6700 for wireless.

FlyWhiteBoy
Jul 13, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Get a Ubiquiti router and use the R6700 for wireless.

Would an EdgeRouter 4 be a good choice? Does it support being OpenVPN client?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

FlyWhiteBoy posted:

Would an EdgeRouter 4 be a good choice? Does it support being OpenVPN client?

It'll support nearly any debian package recompiled for MIPS/ARM. You'll be treading far outside the GUI and CLI configuration systems. Encryption can be accelerated by the built in hardware, but routing througput will impact CPU. However the ER4 is ridiculously fast - even faster than the Edgerouter Pro.