Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Ginette Reno posted:

I was sifting through old NHL videos out of boredom and I found this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcEGZALLUpU

How many games suspension you wager that is today? Gotta be at least 20.

e: 1990 fuckin owned. Here is Don Koharski just writing some notes calmly while a brawl happens behind him:

I was just thinking the other day how I don't even know the names of any of the refs anymore since they all started wearing helmets and announcing penalties NFL style. I used to loving hate Kerry Fraser, Mick McGeough, Koharski and Paul Devorski. gently caress Kerry Fraser and his stupid hair and Mick McGeough flailing his short stubby little arms to make dumbass wrong calls. ARGH IT STILL MAKES ME MAD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I bet you know Chris Lee.

We always remember the bad ones.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

So the Flyers aren't getting themselves into the E.Kane/Nash sweepstakes, which I'm totally fine with. The tricky part now is in goal with Elliott basically being out until the playoffs.

Charlie O'Connor posted:

One point that does need to be made here — Hextall is right to refer to Neuvirth as a “good goalie.” The Czech netminder has become something of a punching bag this season for fans, and his poor performance in 2016-17 certainly contributed to that. But Neuvirth actually has a better save percentage (0.915) this season than Elliott (0.908). To be sure, part of the reason for that is Elliott's far more demanding workload, but Neuvirth isn't a scrub. When he plays, he's perfectly capable of backstopping the Flyers to a playoff berth.

But therein lies the rub, of course — when he plays. If Hextall could be reasonably confident in Neuvirth's ability to start 20 of Philadelphia's final 25 games without issue, then the Elliott injury would not require any roster moves. Unfortunately, Neuvirth's injury history calls that assumption into serious question.

Here's a staggering stat: over the 18 full months of regular-season hockey that Neuvirth has spent with the Flyers organization, he has made it through only eight without succumbing to some sort of injury or illness causing him to miss time. Preparing for inevitable absences is simply part of the Michal Neuvirth experience, the hidden cost of keeping him under contract.

Odds are Hextall at least looks at a goalie rental because it's hard to buy Neuvirth staying healthy for the length.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Zodijackylite posted:

3) Rangers took 50 shots tonight and got shutout. That was Halak's first shutout of the year. Surprisingly, he has 42 career shutouts.

That's at least three games in the last couple weeks where the Isles have given up 45+ shots, which is nuts.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/964496977315684352

oh man this would be fun

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

So the Flyers aren't getting themselves into the E.Kane/Nash sweepstakes, which I'm totally fine with. The tricky part now is in goal with Elliott basically being out until the playoffs.

Odds are Hextall at least looks at a goalie rental because it's hard to buy Neuvirth staying healthy for the length.

What happened to Stolarz anyway, Is he still injured? I’m not saying he could handle starting, but he seemed good enough last year to be able to take a few games.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

What happened to Stolarz anyway, Is he still injured? I’m not saying he could handle starting, but he seemed good enough last year to be able to take a few games.

His meniscus got hosed up EDIT: torn, ouch :stare: like right before the season and basically ended his entire year. Hard not to feel bad for the guy because this was meant to be the year he finally came up to the big team and got some games.

He's RFA after this season and it's really hard to say what they're going to do with him in the big picture.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Feb 16, 2018

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

His meniscus got hosed up like right before the season and basically ended his entire year. Hard not to feel bad for the guy because this was meant to be the year he finally came up to the big team and got some games.

drat, I knew he had an injury, but losing the whole year like that loving sucks.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Thufir posted:

Are any of those players good?

I think Pokka was a prospect that never developed but was supposed to be good?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Ummagumma posted:

Pokka was what the Hawks got in return for Nick Leddy (who they dealt because of cap issues) in 2014. He never dressed a game for the Blackhawks, not even this year, when they've called up a bunch of players to try and fix a leaky defense.

So yea Pokka is probably really bad. And uh, needless to say that the Leddy trade was not one of Bowman's finest hours.

Never forgive Leddy for 2014.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

DJExile posted:

His meniscus got hosed up EDIT: torn, ouch :stare: like right before the season and basically ended his entire year. Hard not to feel bad for the guy because this was meant to be the year he finally came up to the big team and got some games.

He's RFA after this season and it's really hard to say what they're going to do with him in the big picture.

It all started from a fluke injury in a game at WBS last year that I'm not sure fully healed before that injury. I watched him get helped off the ice in that game and it didn't look good, then after he started practicing again the tear happened.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mage_Boy posted:

It all started from a fluke injury in a game at WBS last year that I'm not sure fully healed before that injury. I watched him get helped off the ice in that game and it didn't look good, then after he started practicing again the tear happened.

Thaaaat's right. I knew something had preceded it but couldn't remember what.

It wouldn't surprise me if he rushed back somewhat from that initial injury. Hextall loaded up the pipeline with goalies in the last couple years and he may have figured this was a "now or never" situation for him.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Ginette Reno posted:

I was sifting through old NHL videos out of boredom and I found this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcEGZALLUpU

The hit doesn't look as bad from this angle...
https://youtu.be/8ypgpoP02JM

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Caps used a highlight of Hunter shoving somebody's head at speed into the glass partition at the bench in the pregame videos through like 2008. lol

e: there we go. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd8ISpShoA4

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 16, 2018

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://twitter.com/dcl29487/status/964534039033073666

:getin:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's #Ahodown, accept no substitutes.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Ginette Reno posted:

e: 1990 fuckin owned. Here is Don Koharski just writing some notes calmly while a brawl happens behind him:

"B A N A N N A S _ _ I _- Come on, Don, you got this..."

Mage_Boy posted:

Eh, a meniscal tear isn't really something that would happen as the consequence of a different injury, though. It's mostly a freak occurrence where your meniscus gets caught between the heads of the leg bones as they rotate in opposite directions.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Let’s check in on TJ Oshie:

https://twitter.com/stringhama/status/964526091472986112

Only 7 more years left on his contract.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I've got some bad (belated) news everyone

https://twitter.com/TimesNow/status/624522055392735232

EDIT: Wait do people in parts of the world that have field hockey but not ice hockey call it 'hockey'?

Mike_V fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 16, 2018

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Stretch Marx posted:

The tweek he's talking about is firing Marc. Which isn't happening.

he probably thinks the tweak is hiring bone shamans for weber

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Mind_Taker posted:

So strange how Trotz doesn't jerk him around like he does when Bura or Vrana fail to produce in 10 minutes TOI.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Mike_V posted:

EDIT: Wait do people in parts of the world that have field hockey but not ice hockey call it 'hockey'?
They do! I was super confused when I got a Guinness Book of Records as a kid, because 'hockey' had a bunch of pictures of pasty Irish men on a green field. And oddly a much longer entry than 'Ice Hockey.'

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Actually in some parts of the world Joseph Benedict Hockey is the Ambassador of Australia to the United States. He is a former Australian politician, the Member of Parliament for North Sydney from 1996 until 2015.

Children: Xavier Hockey, Adelaide Hockey, Ignatius Hockey

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Albino Squirrel posted:

They do! I was super confused when I got a Guinness Book of Records as a kid, because 'hockey' had a bunch of pictures of pasty Irish men on a green field. And oddly a much longer entry than 'Ice Hockey.'

The only part of the world that means "ice hockey" when they say "hockey" is North America.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
India does have an ice hockey team too.

http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/101east/2016/03/thin-ice-india-national-ice-hockey-team-160302074917460.html

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Mind_Taker posted:

GMs
Stop signing smallish-grinder right-wings to absurdly long 30+ contracts, you stupid fucks.

(Even Hornqvist)

Anyway, into the pile with you Oshie.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

There's a whole movie about it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zphaWmq8WSg

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

GMs
Stop signing smallish-grinder right-wings to absurdly long 30+ contracts, you stupid fucks.

(Even Hornqvist)

they're going to send him to robidas island over the summer for a new training regimen

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My wife is a librarian, and today is her going through old magazines to get rid of.

Here are some choice pictures of Sports Illustrated for kids:

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

GMs

(Even Hornqvist)

this pertains to all grindy wingers (see: zach parise)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Here’s one that is essential:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

Post the whole page and make it the forum background forever.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Duckman2008 posted:

That fro. :tviv:

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Mike_V posted:

Yes, and as someone from one of those countries I can cofirm that. Ice hockey's a lot more excting though

Albino Squirrel posted:

Well, in terms of player numbers field hockey is a lot more popular worldwide since you don't need cold/ice, you don't need to be able to skate and you don't need all the equipment. Professional field hockey barely exists though.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Georgiev was scheduled to make his NHL debut against Ottawa tomorrow, but he got the flu. Rangers recalled Brandon Halverson from Hartford. We're going to find out how deep the Wolf Pack are.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Halverson sucks

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Zach Sanford was activated off IR the other day and I hope he's back in the next week or two after conditioning stint. I think he could still be an effective second line player, if the stars align.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
https://twitter.com/NHLFlames/status/964660652898885633

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Legitimately confused how "Chewie, we're home. And by that I mean we're going to win this home game," made it into the magazine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
5.35m per for Backlund.

A glance at his age (29) and point totals (100 in the last two years, but never broke 40 before that) is a bit questionable, but his possession stats are great, and he seems to produce fairly consistently at even strength. Stats don't tell the whole story, but I seem to recall commentators calling him a very complete player with a good defensive game last year.

• Locked thread