Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

kloa posted:

If I have a mobo with Intel vPro, can I update the BIOS without a CPU present?

I ordered a ASUS Q87M-E motherboard and don't know what BIOS version it has installed, but I may need to flash it before the CPU I have will work with it :sigh:

No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

DizzyBum posted:

Yeah, I don't think the panel is dead either. All the diagnostics are coming back normal from this thing. Literally everything is acting normal except for the fact that the panel is a black screen. Even the backlight still works.

The other thread suggested the monitor might be stuck in some sort of "deep sleep" mode which is apparently an issue with some Dell monitors, so I'll try to look into that, too.

Man, I feel like I should start a blog with all the weird poo poo I come across that I can't find on Google.

Try a new cable before anything else. It does sound like the capacitors could be going, though, especially with the progressive decline of the panel.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Naan Bread posted:

I'm shipping my gaming PC from home that has been sat in a garage for over two years. What are some things I should be wary of before powering it on for the first time?

I've thought about taking it all apart and clearing out dust/reseating the GPU and RAM, maybe reapplying some thermal paste. Will I need to replace the CMOS battery? It has been in a garage in England so the lowest and highest temps it would have experienced shouldn't have been more than -5C to 30C at the extreme so condensation shouldn't be an issue at this point. No mice or anything got to it as far as I can tell from a blurry picture my brother sent me.

After shipping it's good to re-seat everything (honestly it would be best to ship the graphics card disconnected, but I'm guessing it's too late for that). The bumps and vibrations while shipping can loosen cables and connectors. I doubt you'll have to do anything special besides that. If it boots up with the incorrect time or fails to keep the time you could replace the CMOS battery, but I'd wait to replace it until you know it's bad (they're usually a CR2032 button battery but check the battery type in it before purchasing anything). I boot up old PCs fairly regularly and usually they don't need much. Any dust inside will likely be from when it was last running and not new.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Rexxed posted:

Try a new cable before anything else. It does sound like the capacitors could be going, though, especially with the progressive decline of the panel.

That was one of the first things I tried. Actually, all the cables I used *seem* to be working fine (again, diagnostics looking good no matter what I try).

I will likely try to open it up later to see what might be happening.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Yeah bad caps is a good bet. There are very few few ways that electronics can gradually fail and that's surely the most common one.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I opened up the monitor last night and tried to get a good look at some of the caps, but I didn't see anything that stood out to me. Nothing bulging or looking weird. And as far as I could see, all of the connectors looked good and snug. If I wanted to look at everything, I would have had to take a lot of extra time to disassemble it, so I gave up after a certain point.

I'll go back to my 1920x1080 dual-monitor setup for now, and when I've got some more free time, I'll really open it up and look at all the boards. I don't know how test the components, though. Guess it's time to learn!

I just wish I could find someone else that's had the exact same problem and wrote about it. The only thing I've been able to find has been Dell's general advice - "If you turn on the monitor and you don't see the self-test, the monitor is faulty. But we don't fix/repair our own monitors, we just replace them while they're still in warranty. :byewhore:"

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 14, 2018

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Recently built a PC for somebody (i5-8400, Macho Rev. B, and Asrock Z370M Pro4). It's the perfect combination of performance and quiet efficiency as far as I'm concerned but mostly due to the mainboard's "silent" profile for the fan. If I need to I can create my own custom profile too. I haven't seen any other modern mainboard's options, so my question is: Is this exclusively for the overclockable boards or do even the cheaper boards provide these options nowadays? I plan to buy another board when the cheaper coffe lake boards are out, but if this is exclusive to the 3xx boards I'll stick with them. Thanks.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Recently built a PC for somebody (i5-8400, Macho Rev. B, and Asrock Z370M Pro4). It's the perfect combination of performance and quiet efficiency as far as I'm concerned but mostly due to the mainboard's "silent" profile for the fan. If I need to I can create my own custom profile too. I haven't seen any other modern mainboard's options, so my question is: Is this exclusively for the overclockable boards or do even the cheaper boards provide these options nowadays? I plan to buy another board when the cheaper coffe lake boards are out, but if this is exclusive to the 3xx boards I'll stick with them. Thanks.
Pretty much any motherboard can tell the CPU fan to adjust its speed based on temperature. Where they differ is in whether additional fan headers are controllable, and if they can actually control the amount of power supplied for fans that don't support their own speed control. Good fan speed control is considered a premium feature.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

Alereon posted:

Pretty much any motherboard can tell the CPU fan to adjust its speed based on temperature. Where they differ is in whether additional fan headers are controllable, and if they can actually control the amount of power supplied for fans that don't support their own speed control. Good fan speed control is considered a premium feature.

My Sandy Bridge board only has this simple option to set fan speed I think. If fan profiles nowadays are unique to z-boards I'll stick to those, even though I don't overclock. Thanks. :)

IratelyBlank
Dec 2, 2004
The only easy day was yesterday
What's the deal with old servers posted on ebay for what seems like extremely cheap? I am looking at Poweredge servers with dual Xeons and 64 GB of memory for $200 and I'm wondering what the catch is? I have to share a small workstation farm with several other people in my research group to run simulation software (it's all distributed and remote) and while this is on the low-end of our workstation specs, a few of these would significantly offset the computational load for me if there isn't anything weird going on and and I can just plug it in and install an OS. Power consumption isn't an issue because this won't be in my home.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

IratelyBlank posted:

What's the deal with old servers posted on ebay for what seems like extremely cheap? I am looking at Poweredge servers with dual Xeons and 64 GB of memory for $200 and I'm wondering what the catch is? I have to share a small workstation farm with several other people in my research group to run simulation software (it's all distributed and remote) and while this is on the low-end of our workstation specs, a few of these would significantly offset the computational load for me if there isn't anything weird going on and and I can just plug it in and install an OS. Power consumption isn't an issue because this won't be in my home.

Usually they're just loud rackmount servers with first or second gen i7-equivalent xeons. There's a lot of good deals to be had there if you just want a lot of cores and ram and don't care about noise. There are some even older ones with core2quad equivalent xeons that aren't such a good deal because they use DDR2 and are a bit long in the tooth. The main things to check hardware wise is to look up the Xeon on wikipedia and compare it to others in its generation and check if you're getting enough RAM for dual or triple channel (whichever is available). Also check if the board can boot off SATA disks or if you need SAS drives. The other main things to check are that the seller has good feedback and that shipping costs won't kill the deal.

You can also check natex.us for old servers. They remount old server boards in Phanteks full tower cases (great cases for $100) and sell them preconfigured, but they're a bit more expensive that way. They also have a lot of other server hardware.

You can boot pretty much any of those servers and install windows or linux on them. Most are old enough that Windows 8 or 10 will have all of the drivers.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Say you aren't gonna game or even watch HD stuff or whatever and don't care about noise. Would one of those with a nice ssd provide a shockingly lighting fast desktop experience?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Say you aren't gonna game or even watch HD stuff or whatever and don't care about noise. Would one of those with a nice ssd provide a shockingly lighting fast desktop experience?

No, they're not especially fast. They're basically the same speed as the equivalent i5 or i7 of their generation, but often they're lower clock speed although they can have more cores and more on die cache. They're fine for desktop use, but the fastest CPUs are the newest ones that have high clock speeds and the newest architecture. Xeon chips basically vary from desktop chips of the same generation in that most don't have integrated GPUs (but server boards have some on board graphics usually baked in), they support ECC Registered RAM, they have more cache, and they can come with more cores and lower speeds (more cores means more heat so you have to run slower). I think in the first gen stuff which fits LGA1366 sockets (as well as some higher pin coun sockets) the max is 6 cores, but 8+ cores showed up with second gen architectures in LGA2011.

For a fast desktop experience on a budget I think any Dell i5 with 8gb of RAM would be a good deal. I picked up a scratch and dent optiplex 990 from the dell outlet a couple of years back with an i5-2500 for about $150. With 8gb of RAM and an SSD it feels snappy for just about everything short of gaming and it's been good for some gaming when I put a video card in it for a while as a secondary machine (I had to swap the power supply for GPU power cables). Since it's a couple of years later I'd imagine you could get a 3rd or 4th gen i5 for similar prices now if you look for their frequent sales.

The main reason these older servers are a good deal is if you need a lot of CPU cores and/or RAM. If you run a lot of virtual machines or run other tasks that benefit from being paralleled or multi-threaded it's often a huge bargain to get a machine with a lot of cores and ram for a budget price. They're always on ebay because datacenters upgrade large amounts of them at once and the old units go to resellers/recyclers in bulk.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

We buy them for work, they're perfect for our voicemail and gateway servers that are going to sit in a customers closet. For home use, think more of file servers or something like Plex, that again you can stick in a back room and run reliably for years

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

IratelyBlank posted:

There's no catch, they're just loud and use a decent amount of power, but that's to be expected. Since that's of no concern to you, buy away.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

HalloKitty posted:

There's no catch, they're just loud and use a decent amount of power, but that's to be expected. Since that's of no concern to you, buy away.

I had one of the PowerEdge Xeons in my basement for a while as a personal server, and it did work great. However, you really can't overestimate the amount of noise and power draw. It always sounded like a jet engine starting up, and it drew around 400-500W (all the fans and 15K spinning rust.) It wasn't worth it to me to pay $20/month or so to keep it powered.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Is there a utility I can use to figure out how much power my PC is actually drawing?

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
There are meter sockets like https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009MDBU/ that you can use to see how much you're drawing from the wall.

Reading from the wall will give you the most accurate result; your PSU isn't 100% efficient and the efficiency will vary depending on the system load, so a software tool will probably not be able to account for that.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How can I tell exactly how many external displays (and at what resolution) a laptop will support when researching which one to buy? It's really frustrating this info isn't on the spec sheets I am finding and I suspect it's not as easy at just counting all the ports.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Chuu posted:

How can I tell exactly how many external displays (and at what resolution) a laptop will support when researching which one to buy? It's really frustrating this info isn't on the spec sheets I am finding and I suspect it's not as easy at just counting all the ports.

i have a brand new intel and a brand new nvidia card and i think the highest resolutions i can push are basically two 4k monitors worth, though I can divide that up probably about as many ways as I want

I suspect most laptops you buy these days will be able to push 2x 4k monitors- i would google the specific laptops youre looking at with that question, or ask that specific question for specific laptop models in the laptop thread and somebody will definitely help you out there

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552651

Worf fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 22, 2018

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Chuu posted:

Anything that has DisplayPort 1.2 or above should support multiple displays via either daisy-chaining (display has to be compatible) or a DP hub, allowing up to 3 devices on a single port.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Geoj posted:

Anything that has DisplayPort 1.2 or above should support multiple displays via either daisy-chaining (display has to be compatible) or a DP hub, allowing up to 3 devices on a single port.

My Lenovo Thinkcentre M900 Tiny at work freezes at the BIOS if I daisy-chain DP monitors. :(
Windows works fine (after some finagling) if I hot-plug them, but then next boot it's hosed. Not like I wanted more than 2 monitors anyway...

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I always forget how to read Crystal Disk Info. Is there a good reference for that? IIRC the current/worst numbers are meaningless and you want to see all zeros (on some stuff) in the raw values? Or is that backwards? I don’t use it often enough to remember.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

It conveniently and unmissably flags any values that are of concern.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

DizzyBum posted:

Cross-posting from the Monitor Megathread:

I've been having problems with my new(ish) monitor. It's a Dell U3014. Occasionally, the screen would suddenly go black and not display anything at all. The backlight would stay on, but everything behaved like the monitor was functioning fine, including the monitor buttons. I would usually be able to fix it by unplugging the monitor's power, waiting several seconds, and then plugging it back in. I noticed it would often start doing this when putting the PC into sleep mode.

Well, something happened overnight, and now it's stuck in this black screen state. Plugging/unplugging does nothing, and the screen never shows the "No input detected - power off in 5 minutes" blue box. Same issues as before, but now I can't revert it.

I did some searching around and downloaded a tool called SoftMCCS which does monitor diagnostics. I don't see anything unusual that really stands out to me. The monitor diagnostics all seem to come back normal. The inputs all still seem to *work* but I can never get a picture.

Has anyone had a similar issue with any Dell monitors? I really don't want to have to get rid of this thing. I've tasted 2560x1600 and I'm hooked. :(

Oh, I checked the Advanced Exchange warranty on Dell's website and it expired a year and a half ago.

Quoting myself from last week because I fixed the problem! :toot:

Someone on reddit suggested replacing the T-con board. I ordered a replacement off eBay and swapped out the board this morning, and it's working perfectly! No more black screen!

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
This is a weird one. I've got a device that writes data to an SD card, and has no networking or other remote access capability. I want to capture the device's output somewhere that I can access remotely. I have in my head something like an SD card-shaped plug on a cable that I can hook up to a computer or something, and capture the writes that would've been made to the SD card.

Is this a thing that exists?

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

fatman1683 posted:

This is a weird one. I've got a device that writes data to an SD card, and has no networking or other remote access capability. I want to capture the device's output somewhere that I can access remotely. I have in my head something like an SD card-shaped plug on a cable that I can hook up to a computer or something, and capture the writes that would've been made to the SD card.

There are wifi enabled SD cards. The idea is that you would stick it in the camera and when you got within range of your home network, it would suck the pics off of it. No idea if they are still an active development or how they truly work, but that would prob be your best avenue if SD is your only connectivity

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

There are wifi enabled SD cards. The idea is that you would stick it in the camera and when you got within range of your home network, it would suck the pics off of it. No idea if they are still an active development or how they truly work, but that would prob be your best avenue if SD is your only connectivity

Thanks, this might be an option. Looks like there's a lot of variety in implementation so I'll have to do some digging.

edit: Ok these are pretty lovely. Seems like the only one still actively manufactured is the Toshiba one, which creates its own (extremely short-range) wireless network and only runs for a few minutes at a time.

There was a competitor called EyeFi, that could connect to any wireless network and even automatically upload to their cloud storage service, but apparently Toshiba 'licensed the technology', i.e. bought them out at some point.

So that one was a non-starter. Any other suggestions?

fatman1683 fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 27, 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

fatman1683 posted:

This short PDF describes the construction of one, it relies on having a microcontroller system that presents a FAT16 file system to the device the SD edge is plugged into to capture the information written to it:
http://www.thinkmind.org/download.php?articleid=icds_2011_4_30_10048

This PDF of a powerpoint presentation describes a student's project to display near-real time images on a device with no network access but with an SD card reader, by using a microcontroller and connection to a computer to generate images and place them on a virtual file system for the devices to use (eg with digital picture frames, old cellphones, etc)
https://webpages.uncc.edu/~jmconrad/ECGR6185-2008-01/notes/SD_CARD_DISPLAY_MICROCONTROLLER.pdf

You will of course need a board like this to work from, since they properly run lines to an SD card-shaped connector with the proper pinout to interface with real devices: https://hackaday.io/project/6946-sd-card-emulator-lattice-xp

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

fishmech posted:

This short PDF describes the construction of one, it relies on having a microcontroller system that presents a FAT16 file system to the device the SD edge is plugged into to capture the information written to it:
http://www.thinkmind.org/download.php?articleid=icds_2011_4_30_10048

This PDF of a powerpoint presentation describes a student's project to display near-real time images on a device with no network access but with an SD card reader, by using a microcontroller and connection to a computer to generate images and place them on a virtual file system for the devices to use (eg with digital picture frames, old cellphones, etc)
https://webpages.uncc.edu/~jmconrad/ECGR6185-2008-01/notes/SD_CARD_DISPLAY_MICROCONTROLLER.pdf

You will of course need a board like this to work from, since they properly run lines to an SD card-shaped connector with the proper pinout to interface with real devices: https://hackaday.io/project/6946-sd-card-emulator-lattice-xp

Thanks! This is pretty awesome. I'm not sure I have the board-level chops to build this, but it's definitely interesting.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its pretty dry these days and im carrying a static charge more often than not. Every time I shock my metal case or metal keyboard I hear the device being plugged/unplugged sound. Everything is staying connected. Am I causing damage to my system? I assume everything is shielded or grounded.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I'm not sure if this is better suited towards the printer thread or here, but I have a Brother MFC-7860DW that I need to scan some documents. I remember that I was previously able to duplex scan from the feeder tray, but now it seems like that option is gone. I'm pretty lost, because its like 20 pages front and back that need to get scanned, and the options in the Brother utility just arent there.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

KKKLIP ART posted:

I'm not sure if this is better suited towards the printer thread or here, but I have a Brother MFC-7860DW that I need to scan some documents. I remember that I was previously able to duplex scan from the feeder tray, but now it seems like that option is gone. I'm pretty lost, because its like 20 pages front and back that need to get scanned, and the options in the Brother utility just arent there.

If you can't get the printer itself to duplex feed, you can scan one side with the feeder, then plop them back in the feeder facing the other way and scan the other side. That will be in reverse order but software like NAPS2 can stitch it back together.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Is there a "software short questions that dont deserve their own thread" anywhere? I have a dumb excel question but I'm not seeing where to ask.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Is there a "software short questions that dont deserve their own thread" anywhere? I have a dumb excel question but I'm not seeing where to ask.

YOSPOS Cavern of COBOL

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2779598

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Perfect, thanks.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

I'm going to be shopping for a used laptop soon. Does anyone besides Dell do the "genuine" bullshit with batteries and power supplies?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I'm going to be shopping for a used laptop soon. Does anyone besides Dell do the "genuine" bullshit with batteries and power supplies?

What do you mean exactly? Also, you might want to ask in the Laptop Megathread

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hipster_Doofus posted:

hp definitely does but most of that stuff can be turned off by uninstalling the bloatware which you should be removing anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Hipster_Doofus posted:

There's usually a good reason not to use ebay special batteries and chargers anyway

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 4, 2018