Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bamco needs to do Sonic Mania but for Klonoa. I'm really tempted to just toss all these 2017 games in the garbage and play the Wii remake plus the sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

New Sonic All Stars Racing?

gently caress yeah

In sad news,
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/2115044

quote:

In March of 2016, Nightdive Studios released our video of our vision of System Shock Remastered. Done in Unity it was an immediate hit with almost a half million views on YouTube. In June of 2016 we launched a Kickstarter campaign to make the vision into a reality. It was tremendously successful with over 21,000 backers contributing over $1.3 million to the campaign. We put together a development team and began working on the game. But along the way something happened.

Maybe we were too successful. Maybe we lost our focus. The vision began to change. We moved from a Remaster to a completely new game. We shifted engines from Unity to Unreal, a choice that we don’t regret and one that has worked out for us. With the switch we began envisioning doing more, but straying from the core concepts of the original title.

As our concept grew and as our team changed, so did the scope of what we were doing and with that the budget for the game. As the budget grew, we began a long series of conversations with potential publishing partners. The more that we worked on the game, the more that we wanted to do, and the further we got from the original concepts that made System Shock so great.

Ultimately the responsibility for the decisions rests with me. As the CEO and founder of Nightdive Studios, a company that was built on the restoration of the System Shock franchise, I let things get out of control. I can tell you that I did it for all the right reasons, that I was totally committed to making a great game, but it has become clear to me that we took the wrong path, that we turned our backs on the very people who made this possible, our Kickstarter backers.

I have put the team on a hiatus while we reassess our path so that we can return to our vision. We are taking a break, but NOT ending the project. Please accept my personal assurance that we will be back and stronger than ever. System Shock is going to be completed and all of our promises fulfilled.

Stephen Kick
SS remake is dead. I know it says hiatus but I'm not holding my breath for a video game hiatus ever returning.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think the main dilemma Sega have as a company these days is the internet loudly says that Sonic is bad, they should stop putting him in the forefront and they should stick to their other properties but Sonic still sells really well for them even when the game sucks and even the very best of their other properties don't sell well at all and certainly not as well as some lovely Sonic game.

Like it's a miracle we're getting a new proper VC game and even if it's even better than the original, it'll sell far worse than Sonic Forces. The stuff people like us want them to do just don't make them very much money.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

kan re nao vr?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

A PC release of Anarchy Reigns will totally sell well, Sega. Trust me.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

glam rock hamhock posted:

I think the main dilemma Sega have as a company these days is the internet loudly says that Sonic is bad, they should stop putting him in the forefront and they should stick to their other properties but Sonic still sells really well for them even when the game sucks and even the very best of their other properties don't sell well at all and certainly not as well as some lovely Sonic game.

Like it's a miracle we're getting a new proper VC game and even if it's even better than the original, it'll sell far worse than Sonic Forces. The stuff people like us want them to do just don't make them very much money.

Does the internet say Sonic is bad? I thought people loved Mania

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

Eww, why would just want Sonic and his friends and not all the superior non-Sonic Sega characters?

Just put Vyse in who cares about the rest

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

The internet says any Sonic game made after the Genesis era is bad, Mania was a specific target towards them. (And also extremely good.) However the 3D Sonic stuff does sell and apparently Sonic has uncommonly strong recognition among younger kids and thus is actually an extremely strong mascot character despite having a pretty lackluster run of games. Part of the reason Sega keeps chasing that horse is that Sonic is an extremely strong IP that they can't figure out how to market properly. Stuff like Sonic Mania appeals to the nostalgia of the old-school sonic fans but apparently doesn't get a lot of headway in with younger crowds.

Mario has a similar situation actually, Nintendo's just better at it than Sega is, but even they've admitted that they're trying to find ways to bridge the 2D and 3D fanbases. (Super Mario 3D Land/World was an attempt at that for example.)

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Ometeotl posted:

https://twitter.com/BandaiNamcoUS/status/964611715240378368

A day after the rumors about the Sonic kart racing game...

it's the mobile game lol

https://twitter.com/SEGAHARDlight/status/964545717397225472

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

Mania reminded people that Sonic could be really good but the narrative among the not weird Sonic fan parts of the gaming community since SA and especially since 2006 has been people saying that Sonic was never actually all that good, all of his games are bad and he will never be good again. Hell, I've seen people complain that they pull Sonic's name in front of the All Star games and of that really good Genesis collection from last gen because they thought putting the Sonic name on those things made them seem worse.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

Sonic Mania is one good Sonic game about of 20 years of mediocre-at-best Sonic games. Some people swear by a few like Generations but the mainline 3D Sonic games are embarrassingly bad.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

al-azad posted:

Sonic Mania is one good Sonic game about of 20 years of mediocre-at-best Sonic games. Some people swear by a few like Generations but the mainline 3D Sonic games are embarrassingly bad.

Advance 1 and 2, Rush, Generations, and Colors were all good. I also really like Sonic Rush Adventure but people seem to put that on the really bad pile I think because they hate the travel aspect which I thought was fine.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Grapplejack posted:

gently caress yeah

In sad news,

SS remake is dead. I know it says hiatus but I'm not holding my breath for a video game hiatus ever returning.

Another kickstarter game dead through feature creep? What a surprise.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tbh i think the really bad sonic games were mainly around the early 2000s with heroes, shadow and 06. i think adventure 1 and 2 actually have their own charm even if they're really broken in some hilarious ways and the later ones are just kind of mediocre until generations and colors, sonic heroes and shadow the hedgehog though are like games i would actively regret putting more time into they are so atrociously awful

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Dream ruined

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
pac-man's already had his own kart racing game. what makes you think he needs to star in someone else's

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Pac-Man 2 the new adventures is one of the most bizarre things I have ever seen

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

The Colonel posted:

pac-man's already had his own kart racing game. what makes you think he needs to star in someone else's

He was in the mediocre arcade Mario Kart that Namco made

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

did... did they take out dive to prone in metal gear survive or am i just forgetting how to do it...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Naughty dog needs to make UnKarted with special guest Aloy

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

The Colonel posted:

tbh i think the really bad sonic games were mainly around the early 2000s with heroes, shadow and 06. i think adventure 1 and 2 actually have their own charm even if they're really broken in some hilarious ways and the later ones are just kind of mediocre until generations and colors, sonic heroes and shadow the hedgehog though are like games i would actively regret putting more time into they are so atrociously awful

On the other hand, I'm glad that shadow the hedgehog happened since we cannot have yin without yang.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Naughty dog needs to make UnKarted with special guest Aloy

Horizon: Zero Charts

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

haveblue posted:

Horizon: Zero Charts

The Fast of Us

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Twisted Metal: Knack

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Infamous: Second Gear

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Grapplejack posted:

gently caress yeah

In sad news,

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The world is hungry for more kart games, yes

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm hungry for more fart games

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

homeless snail posted:

I was gonna post a screen cap of tattoo assassins's fart attack but the only screen caps of it seem to be when one of the female characters is farting and that makes me uncomfortable but entirely unsurprised.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

homeless snail posted:

Try The Witness

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Try The Witness

Piss games is a different category

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Piss games is a different category

Ah, true.

How about Braid?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Poops Mcgoots posted:

On the other hand, I'm glad that shadow the hedgehog happened since we cannot have yin without yang.

actually sonic the hedgehog's yin is supreme coolness. it's silver who is the yang, totally uncool

StrixNebulosa posted:

How about Braid?

no that's a poo poo game

terraria is a fart game

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I finished Final Fantasy XIII yesterday on PC. This is my 2nd time playing through the game, but my first playthrough was back when the game originally released on PS3, so its been awhile. Now I am playing Tyranny, i've had this RPG since launch but never got around to playing it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
It's so satisfying when you finally beat the B-sides goddamn

This probably has the record for "most deaths within the first 2 seconds of a room" in this game so far for me

edit: Also I've put about 10 hours into this game so far, I haven't even done world 5 at all yet, and I haven't finished the Pico... thing. The 8bit computer version of the main game. Is that a separate thing from the rest of the game or do you need to beat that to unlock other stuff too.

Anyway, 10 hours and counting into this little indie game is a drat good investment

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 17, 2018

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Macaluso posted:

edit: Also I've put about 10 hours into this game so far, I haven't even done world 5 at all yet, and I haven't finished the Pico... thing. The 8bit computer version of the main game. Is that a separate thing from the rest of the game or do you need to beat that to unlock other stuff too.

it's just the freeware game the dev made before deciding to make a full game packed in as a secret

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

:wow:

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I just started the Secret of Mana remake tonight. My daughter is really into the game - I got her a raspberry pi that I loaded with snes games and that and Link to the Past are her favorite games so when she saw the remake she lost her poo poo from excitement.

Seeing the reviews is funny. “It stinks, it’s just like the original except with new graphics!” seems to be the main line. Yes the sprites own but honestly if you like a dumb game that aged...ok then it is definitely still Secret of Mana! The music is cool to hear modernized although some of the tracks sound weird. Which is another complaint except since you can turn on the old music then you can’t really complain about it. Oh also the mouths don’t move which is apparently game breaking.

Anyway, in all seriousness, as someone who isn’t just remembering the game win rose colored glasses and has been replaying the snes version since December this version seems just as fun because it is the same game. I know people are attached to their rose tinted snes classics but many are not the best games ever, they were simply good enough to make our 90’s child brains overloaded with how cool they were then that we thought they would be the apex of gaming for all time. Except for being butthurt that there aren’t sprites all of the criticisms about the game itself are criticisms of the old game so if you did like the old game then you’ll like this one. Even if it was poo poo I would like it as an opportunity to play a game coop with my daughter (she is just turning 6) and as the first real game we are playing together she’s going to remember this game how I remember it from when I was a kid except that her dad is actually playing it with her (I played it solo) so I’m happy with the remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I think the biggest issue with the remake is the pricetag. It's different, it isn't the SNES edition, it's expensive, of course it's terrible.

• Locked thread