Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
"Excellence through adversity" but that suuuuuuuucks :smith:

Demar and Wiggins differ also in that Demar is part of the one-two punch that Toronto has whereas Wigs is playing 3rd fiddle. I still believe that if he were the number one or two scoring option for a team he'd do much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
they're both ISO scorers in a pick and roll league, born 20 years too late, living fossils struggling to make sense of a modern world

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Punkin Spunkin posted:

🤷‍♀️
maybe I've just never forgiven KG for being cruel about tim Duncan's dead mom and not being as cool/fun as Sheed

The great moms tell their body, not today.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

dokmo posted:

they're both ISO scorers in a pick and roll league, born 20 years too late, living fossils struggling to make sense of a modern world

Except Demar is real, real good at it.

And he's averaging 5 assists per game this year.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

dokmo posted:

Thibs is riding a 3pt avoiding ISO team to the 3rd best Offense in the league, so suck it. they do use Screen and Roll and screen and pop's a lot, but to generate switches so they are the modern equivalent of a 90s team

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I haven't checked up on it in a while, but I remember a few months ago people were talking a lot about the Warriors not doing very many PnRs anymore too, but during this period of time it looked like they were bored and just loving around.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

my face when someone says I have to carry a gun and be prepared to shoot one of my current or former students because it’s constitutional that people retain the right to bust fat nuts in their guns

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
If the draft happens again with full knowledge of Fultz's yips, does he still make it into the 1st round because of college success?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

If the draft happens again with full knowledge of Fultz's yips, does he still make it into the 1st round because of college success?

Yeah like ... 8-12 range.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Rick posted:

If the Lakers aren't backed into the corner of having to pay KCP, Philadelphia seems like his next likely scam target.

Philly is signing LeBron, sorry

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

ESPN just put out a pretty good piece on Demar's upbringing, good read. I knew he had afucked up childhood. I didn't quite realize how hosed up.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22454605/the-virtue-demar-derozan

Wiggins on the other hand grew up in one of the most boring, quaint suburbs of Toronto

im fetishizing it!!!! im freakin jerkin off here to the bad stories!!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
oh my god this player didn't have a lovely past to overcome, he clearly doesn't have the will to win.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

My inside sources have provided me with this image from a Chinese airplane.

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

Play

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Dexo posted:

oh my god this player didn't have a lovely past to overcome, he clearly doesn't have the will to win.

It's not a necessary condition but it definitely helps to have some sort of adversity when developing a work ethic

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Right, like Kobe

Eratik
Jun 23, 2004

I like your style.

Brolander posted:

im fetishizing it!!!! im freakin jerkin off here to the bad stories!!

what a dumb fucken story tell me what embiid liked on Instagram already as I am at the perfect level of detachment and irony

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Michael Jordan proved that you dont need actual adversity to succeed. Inventing and imagining it works just fine.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

BWV posted:

Michael Jordan proved that you dont need actual adversity to succeed. Inventing and imagining it works just fine.

he succeeded after tragically having his father killed by his debtors that's worth something right

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

BWV posted:

This is what white people do.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Are the same teams in play? Do we have perfect knowledge of the other rookies too? I'd actually still draft him ahead of Ball at least.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Rick posted:

Are the same teams in play? Do we have perfect knowledge of the other rookies too? I'd actually still draft him ahead of Ball at least.

Lonzo's been pretty good though? His shooting is rough, but 10/7/7 with ++ defense is pretty good for a rookie, and the Lakers lineups are generally better with him on the floor than without. He's basically taking a risk that you get a 19 year old Ricky Rubio that you get to try to train how to finish or score from the outside, which would equate to an all-star down the line. Maybe not what you'd like to get at #2, but Fultz might not even be an NBA player right now.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

It's not a necessary condition but it definitely helps to have some sort of adversity when developing a work ethic
I mean it's gotta be half of the stars had an NBA (or at least high level pro) dad

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Eratik posted:

what a dumb fucken story tell me what embiid liked on Instagram already as I am at the perfect level of detachment and irony

Big. Tity. Chearleaders.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Cool Buff Man posted:

Lockback is going to defend Andrew Wiggins's contract until he's dead and gone, at which point a hologram of Lockback will defend Andrew Wiggins's contract until the end of time

Bill Simmons will start reading NBA N/V and will compare it to various classic action and adventure movie scenes

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bill Simmons being all in on Kyrie is so so wrong

It's continental dissonance

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

ESPN just put out a pretty good piece on Demar's upbringing, good read. I knew he had afucked up childhood. I didn't quite realize how hosed up.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22454605/the-virtue-demar-derozan

Wiggins on the other hand grew up in one of the most boring, quaint suburbs of Toronto

Demar had a lot of good people around him, and I know a few of them, my tiny link to real NBA player, despite the implications of the story. Especially at Compton High, he had a lot of good people.

Wiggins took a route identical to the suburbs--> basketball only prep school route as 75% of the NBA.

My theory is going to a regular high school for 4 years makes you more like a normal person and less like a weirdo. On the other hand Demar has been working out with Kobe since he was 13/14 and Kobe's as weird as it gets.

What does it all mean

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

His production and measureables would leave him in the top ten, because the idea of yips for a regular jump shot would still be alien to teams. If they had a time machine, he'd still be in the top ten because of his James Hardenite game in college. It's not like he's Michael Kidd-Gilchrist with the catapult and a desire to injure himself Jackass/CKY style, he got some kind of shoulder injury and messed with his shot and entered a spiral of trouble. It can be fixed. The only way jumpers have gone for good in the past are athleticism sapping injuries that meant uncontested shots became contested and force production required more torque from random places.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 17, 2018

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dejan Bimble posted:

Bill Simmons will start reading NBA N/V and will compare it to various classic action and adventure movie scenes

It's about time someone took notice

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Lockback posted:

Lonzo's been pretty good though? His shooting is rough, but 10/7/7 with ++ defense is pretty good for a rookie, and the Lakers lineups are generally better with him on the floor than without. He's basically taking a risk that you get a 19 year old Ricky Rubio that you get to try to train how to finish or score from the outside, which would equate to an all-star down the line. Maybe not what you'd like to get at #2, but Fultz might not even be an NBA player right now.

10/7/7 in the fastest-paced offense in the league with a literal directive from the team president to heavily feature him. Ricky Rubio wasn't drafted as one of Europe's worst pick and roll players, and has always been at least an okay pro P&R player and while Rubio has had issues finishing at time, he has a first step, Lonzo doesn't have a first step. This is not a great comp.

Lonzo is okay defensively but being a world class defensive point guard and having $100 will get you a G-league tryout so that's not a reason to draft a PG over another one unless you're scared he's going to be unplayable.

Fultz was an excellent P&R player amongst all his other strengths, he was at least okay defensively, so yes, I would draft the guy with the broken shot behind the other guy with broken shot who had a game that was much more compatible with post-1994 basketball assuming he can even get to NBA minimum shooting levels.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Watching that Lenny Cooke/Safdie Brothers documentary from a few years back instead of All-Star stuff, it is real good and very depressing. Pairs well with that Demar article.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The Celebrity Allstar game felt horribly imbalanced this year https://streamable.com/og36i

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the only relevant celebrity game moment was when pippen played and started clowning on people so viciously that magic johnson got visibly upset

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

R.D. Mangles posted:

the only relevant celebrity game moment was when pippen played and started clowning on people so viciously that magic johnson got visibly upset

i guess it wasnt technically the celebrity game but i feel like its also important to mention when kevin hart derailed the warriors championship

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

lol there was some stat I read where Draymond was shooting like 37%+ from three before that 3pt contest and ever since he's been shooting 30%~

Kevin Hart destroyed Draymond's ability to shoot

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Demar always had a great FT%. Having a bad FT% as a wing is the first mark of being lazy in my mind.

Pretty sure Jaylen Brown is the refutation to this theory. I don't think anyone would suggest that he is lazy.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Dexo will like this

https://stats.nba.com/players/advanced/?sort=NET_RATING&dir=-1&CF=MIN*GE*16:GP*G*40&Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Regular%20Season

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://instagram.com/p/BfSIOu_BMHF/

The King speaks

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Sick oop from the rising stars game

https://streamable.com/dthb7

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Hey I missed the rising stars challenge?

Did Lauri cook?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElPedro
Apr 22, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2759858-game-of-zones-2018-nba-all-star-special-kyries-farewell

New Game of Zones

1: I am legitimately upset that they didn't include the Butler trade

2: :lol: the loving Wojbomb

It's pretty good. They even did Lebrons toes for the statue :dance:

• Locked thread