Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

aniviron posted:

One of the sadder things I have seen is two stalkers trying to get into a shed to take cover from an emission, but they got to the door at the same time and blocked each other, so they both died.

F

I had a similar experience with some dudes in zaton who have a quest to bring them a bunch of food, as soon as I finished it an emission started, I took cover in their little supply room, they promptly locked out their boss and about 4-5 other guys, who just stood at the door but for whatever reason they didn't actually die.

I actually thought maybe NPC's can't die from emissions due to this but the posts here suggest otherwise. It wasn't the first time I've seen it happen either, but maybe it depends on the type of emission as to the lethality.

I've finished CoP now, not going to say anything specifically spoilery, but I will tag it anyway. The last mission was buggy as gently caress. Old mate Strelok would run off on his own, get to some checkpoint realise he'd hosed up then come back, the military guys would just sit around doing nothing even when Strelok came back when this happened. It took 4 or 5 restarts to finally get them all to the designated area. The military guy who came with me through the underground seemed to have a very hard time leaving the laundromat, and would often stay there till we were halfway to the objective, and man do they love shooting at downed zombies inaccurately for minutes at a time. And if I did too much running around and murdering everything before the NPCs could see the zombies that seemed to break things even more

Great game though. gently caress X-8. Those 3 Buegles or whatever are the most hosed thing in the whole series. I had no grenades and if I even tried to run in with a knife or to get down underneath them I'd get instantly exploded on master.

Rock Puncher fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Mordja posted:

From that trailer alone, it just looks kind of bad.

go watch stalkers first trailer, it was hideous before release

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

SocketWrench posted:

It's along the lines of a Pyrogeist, it just doesn't have any attack except swarming you and hate loving you. I just avoid them or huck a few grenades

I managed to kill one, I found out exactly where to shoot them after cheesing one by standing on the train depot roof in Wild Territory.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

aniviron posted:

One of the sadder things I have seen is two stalkers trying to get into a shed to take cover from an emission, but they got to the door at the same time and blocked each other, so they both died.

The ones I saw get zombified stopped to fight some boars in Dark Valley. Then they made a break for the factory complex above lab X-18 where I'd been watching them with binocs. One made it to the bridge over the ditch before he turned. One of his buddies stopped to off him and turned. The rest made it to the gate and turned. I didn't shoot, I thought maybe it was like with controllers, when the blowout ends they come back. No dice, just shambling drones.
The ones that died in the psy storm were on the rooftop across from the merc stronghold in Dead City. They scrambled around, both meeting at the stairway each time till both just collapsed dead.

But boy did I have fun dropping a shitload of mines just to watch scrambling bandits get a surprise when they ran for cover. Almost crashed the game from the explosions

This all reminds me of playing SoC with Oblivion Lost. Instead of shutting down the brain scorcher I'd snipe the Monolith guys on the road to Pripyat and spring through the gates, this glitches the brain scorcher off. Then returned to loot the bodies. Both Duty and Freedom were having their standoff down the road, but the event trigger to get them fighting is on the road back from the brain scorcher, so they're just staring each other down. A blowout hit and I hid in the small checkpoint booth next to the Pripyat entrance which is where all the Duty and Freedom guys went too. So I'm doping medkits as needed and then all of a sudden everyone just dies crammed inside this small outpost.
i want to feel bad for them, but it's like loot central on them as a good portion had artifacts, a few even had multiple. Plus the ammo, meds, and some weapons worth keeping

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 17, 2018

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Rock Puncher posted:

Great game though. gently caress X-8. Those 3 Buegles or whatever are the most hosed thing in the whole series. I had no grenades and if I even tried to run in with a knife or to get down underneath them I'd get instantly exploded on master.

Burers? They're easy enough if you can confront one at a time. It's in groups they suck rear end. Extra bonus when you toss a boomy and they toss it back

Jesus Christ. Came from Yantar to Garbage and decided to clear the bandits out of the hangar. I watched the counter go from 5 to 12 and was like poo poo. Came out of it low on ammo and my exo was almost beat to poo poo. Time to get my rear end to rostok. There's three bandits there and one in the ruined building nearby. No problem. Get down to the last one hiding in the trailer with the cots and five more bandits wander into the area and whee, three bloodsuckers come in from Rostok so I'm pinned, what ammo I have is in my guns. Got down to two bandits mostly by letting them try to charge into the trailer and head shot them and six come in from the other direction. Fortunately they decide to flank around the Rostok side of the trailer and get involved with the bloodsuckers. poo poo was spawning and dying so fast most of the bodies had despawned by the time the last was dead. Just ended up running past the surviving bloodsucker. That was some intense poo poo.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Feb 17, 2018

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

The Jumpoff posted:

Yeah i can't go to the Army warehouses from the Bar because there's a Chimera right at the point you spawn in, and given that killing a Pesudogiant took me 50 sniper rounds and then a solid 5 minutes of plinking at it from a distance with an AKS74U, i'm not gonna go toe to toe with a Chimera just yet.

I actually like having so few rounds. Everything is so tense and i know i have to maximize my shots as much as possible so it makes every looting opportunity super exciting.

Get a SPAS-12, don't miss. I had a mid-range Duty armor and survived getting jumped by 2 of them. You can also go Bar -> Truck Cemetery ->Army Warehouses. That level entry will bring you in east of the farmstead instead of southwest of it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I was looking up some things for my Lost Alpha DC run and I ran into this :stare:

Using a wiki to bitch about mod drama comes off as really embarrassing

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Vorenus posted:

Get a SPAS-12, don't miss. I had a mid-range Duty armor and survived getting jumped by 2 of them. You can also go Bar -> Truck Cemetery ->Army Warehouses. That level entry will bring you in east of the farmstead instead of southwest of it.

Any of the repeating shotguns really. Not the two shot hunters, but the rest. They;ll tear that fucker a new one. I take one with me ad go night hunting for chimeras just because they make a decent profit from the ecologist traders

V That's one thing I like about the later games. Controllers aren't bullet sponges

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 18, 2018

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011

Vorenus posted:

Yeah i need to pick up a spas, or a saiga, or a vepr-12. But running around with my fully tactilol Ak-12 (Acog, Suppressor, and Grenade Launcher) and glock is super fun to me.

Also i beat Lab X-16 (the one with the Miracle Machine in CoC story mode) and i totally forgot about the surprise mutant at the end of it. Luckily a coupke headshots with an SVD put it down and Sakharov paid me well for the mutant bits. And then i went and did X-18 and remembered how much i need a shotgun.

GuyonthecoucH
Apr 10, 2004

Inside Out Mom posted:

So I don't know if I need to spoiler or not but I will just in case, can remove them if needed.

So I just finished freeing the mole, when he tells me I should look for Strelock in the tunnels below. I went ahead and jumped in because why not. I was slowly making my way through fighting bandits and some military. Not bad. When all of a sudden there's this loud rear end yell. Next thing you know there's this predator shimmer and some glowing eyes charging at me. Just starting firing as fast as I could at the eyes. Took some damage and it's some weird squidface. Moved along a bit and cleared out some more military, now a bit more on edge. Found the stash and worked my way up the spiral stairs, when some weird thing kept throwing I guess my brain up and down a hallway. Had to reload after death that time, and I countered his brain blasts by firing wildly while sprinting down the tunnel. Got topside and immediately had like 10 military blasting me.

I did not realize this was that kinda game. Wow.

Whenever I tell someone about why stalker is this amazing game, this is the series of events that I gush over. Thanks for reminding me how great this game is.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

"underground tunnels" is usually a fast way of saying "the worst kind of videogame level ever" except in STALKER it's the best part of the game and scarier than most actual horror games.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

It's disappointing that Stalker's approach to survival horror isn't really carried on by anything besides maybe Metro. The mutants in Stalker aren't really supposed to be scary. You can see them outside on bright sunny days running around like the morons that they are. I've dumped hundreds of hours into the games and run into its mutants countless times and it doesn't matter at all because the game's horror elements are all about tension between encounters instead of the actual encounters.

It's hard for movies to do that because movies always play out in the same way, but games don't really have that problem. With some level of randomization and unpredictability you can keep things constantly unnerving. Pitch black abandoned buildings that look and sound like real buildings will never stop being creepy.1

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I'm playing Lost Alpha DC with the Extended Pack...and I'm surprised its not discussed more here. It's actually incredibly fun. Anyone else play it recently?

Now that I got a setup that has fixed gun damage values, I can say that maybe the maps are too large? Fast travel NPCs are nice, but I'm getting some minor Farcry 2 vibes with how much running around I'm doing. Havent bought a vehicle yet. I get the impression keeping track of it in a game like this would be more trouble than its worth?

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

It's disappointing that Stalker's approach to survival horror isn't really carried on by anything besides maybe Metro. The mutants in Stalker aren't really supposed to be scary. You can see them outside on bright sunny days running around like the morons that they are. I've dumped hundreds of hours into the games and run into its mutants countless times and it doesn't matter at all because the game's horror elements are all about tension between encounters instead of the actual encounters.

It's hard for movies to do that because movies always play out in the same way, but games don't really have that problem. With some level of randomization and unpredictability you can keep things constantly unnerving. Pitch black abandoned buildings that look and sound like real buildings will never stop being creepy.1

The perfect example of this, to me, is lab X-18 (or whatever the one in the Dark Valley is), because even though I have curb-stomped that lab 10+ times, in multiple build types, across original SoC, Complete, ZRP, and CoC, I dread it every single time because I KNOW what's going to happen and I never think I'm prepared enough. All the mutants, all the anomaly dodging, the surprise after you get the documents, getting back out, it's 100% tension and I usually have to devote an entire session to just that one part because afterwards I'm mentally drained from focusing on everything. And that's why it's my favorite part of the entirety of SoC.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Reinstalled MISERY now that 2.2 is out and I'm making a effort to actually beat this game, as I've never made it out of Yanov/Jupiter even in vanilla. I remember playing MISERY before and thinking everything was way too hard but still enjoyed it. However, on this playthrough, I've realized inventory restriction isn't too bad as long as you get suit slot items that increase your weight limit, and you can even go way above your limit if you're well fed. Also learning that anomalies are no big deal as long as you've got a decent helmet. Even the costs to repair are not that bad, you just need to do the work yourself and try keeping everything above 80% so you don't need to use expensive materials. Controllers + heavy fog are the only thing that I think is harder/more unfair than it should be - they have incredible range (like sniper range) but you can't see them in the fog. Also enemies with under barrel grenade launchers are way too accurate at long range, but that's nothing a few reloads can't handle.

All in all, I'm hoping to finish this game for the first time, and do it while playing MISERY, and finally see what happens at the end.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

turn off the TV posted:

X-18 is still my hell. While I know I have the ability to gently caress everything up down there, the mutants combined with the overall vibe just....ugh...I don't go there unless I absolutely have to

Even X-8 in Pripyat can't hold a candle to it. While yeah it's gonna be a dark, run down maze of mutants, it doesn't give off the creep value X-18 does.
I still remember my first play through X-16 in Yantar though. I was stuck on that forever and after I finally beat it was like "That was it?". I expected this long unending run based on the amount of times I died just getting down the ladders and through the first room

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 20, 2018

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
If you all are feeling real adventurous and have a lot of patience, downgrade your ShoC to 1.0004 and try out LEGENDARY. The only mod Ive finished and despite the frequent crashes, it was the most fun STALKER mod I have ever played. Not sure where the source files are but you might try that Mega repository.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Monolith. posted:

If you all are feeling real adventurous and have a lot of patience, downgrade your ShoC to 1.0004 and try out LEGENDARY. The only mod Ive finished and despite the frequent crashes, it was the most fun STALKER mod I have ever played. Not sure where the source files are but you might try that Mega repository.

Is it this one? http://www.moddb.com/mods/legendary-20
Had a quick google after reading your post. Good lord that's a lot of weapons!

e: looks promising gonna give it a bash, thanks for the recommendation.

Jarf fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 21, 2018

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
L.E.G.E.N.D.A.R.Y. 2.0 looks rediculous enough to be great fun.
another thanks for the recommendation.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I haven`t flinched IRL while playing a game in a long while but a loving dog leaping at me out of a bush finally did it

well played S.T.A.L.K.E.R

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Best moment ever watching a replay on youtube when the message pops up "We're in deep poo poo here boys. We ran into a dog"

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I recently started playing Lost Alpha for the first time with the "DLC" addons and I've mostly been enjoying it; lot of weird takes but also a lot of neat ideas like the PDA network stuff. Anyways, enemies feel bullet-spongier than ever, and I'm playing on Master difficulty -- is there something I can do to raise damage or lower health values without poking at dozens of individual weapon/creature files? Damage in these games never feels quite right, but I err on the side of quicker fights when it comes to the standard fare enemies.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Jarf posted:

Is it this one? http://www.moddb.com/mods/legendary-20
Had a quick google after reading your post. Good lord that's a lot of weapons!

e: looks promising gonna give it a bash, thanks for the recommendation.

It's been a couple years since I played it but that is probably the updated version. Hopefully it's way more stable this time around.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Appoda posted:

I recently started playing Lost Alpha for the first time with the "DLC" addons and I've mostly been enjoying it; lot of weird takes but also a lot of neat ideas like the PDA network stuff. Anyways, enemies feel bullet-spongier than ever, and I'm playing on Master difficulty -- is there something I can do to raise damage or lower health values without poking at dozens of individual weapon/creature files? Damage in these games never feels quite right, but I err on the side of quicker fights when it comes to the standard fare enemies.

Yeah it comes with the territory unfortunately. You made the right move by installing the Extended Pack (if thats what you mean), since it reduces overall bullet sponginess and eases the economic reins so you can afford (and carry) extra ammo. Unless there's a mod that complements that mod of Lost Alpha, i'm all ears too.

e: boars are probably the worst thing about that issue honestly. There's plenty of them and they have a pretty large aggression radius. And bleh, they still take a ton of ammo.

buglord fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 22, 2018

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Figured as much. Oh well; I finally got a scope so the old headshot routine should make things a bit easier.

To make up for it: You can drive a loving car. Holy poo poo. Doesn't really matter if it takes a million bullets if you can put all two dozen of your guns and bombs in the trunk and just go on Ukranian safari. Are there any mods for adding sweet babes to pick up in my beat-up two seater? Jesus.

It's great. It is terrible at taking hills, it regularly gets out of gear, the tires get stuck on railroad tracks just like a real lovely car does, and sometimes the engine just dies. It's a real gas guzzler, too.

This might be the best car in all of video game history.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Appoda posted:

Figured as much. Oh well; I finally got a scope so the old headshot routine should make things a bit easier.

To make up for it: You can drive a loving car. Holy poo poo. Doesn't really matter if it takes a million bullets if you can put all two dozen of your guns and bombs in the trunk and just go on Ukranian safari. Are there any mods for adding sweet babes to pick up in my beat-up two seater? Jesus.

It's great. It is terrible at taking hills, it regularly gets out of gear, the tires get stuck on railroad tracks just like a real lovely car does, and sometimes the engine just dies. It's a real gas guzzler, too.

This might be the best car in all of video game history.

Stalker has Spintires dlc?

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

gently caress spinning tires. Drive that poo poo into a springboard anomaly and spin your entire god drat world.

Flying around in the air for the first time in my magic zone-powered hybrid vehicle while Marked One no-sells it in the driver's seat and lands it without incident might be a top ten STALKER experiences for me. Cars in STALKER. What a world we live in.

(Accurate to the Stalker film, too)

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Yeah, OL brought back driveable stuff, from the beater Ladas to the jeep knockoffs, even the APCs and the ever popular Russian tractor (Raided the bar in one and was hilarious to watch a tractor maul Duty). Nothing quite makes a fun day like driving into Springboards. There was a glitch in Army Warehouses though where an APC spawned near to a Springboard and for hours on end you could watch it get tossed again and again

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Have there been any contenders for free roaming butt kicking since CoC? I'm kinda waiting for 1.5 but I also miss this game, so I might just go through 1.4 again

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Morter posted:

Have there been any contenders for free roaming butt kicking since CoC? I'm kinda waiting for 1.5 but I also miss this game, so I might just go through 1.4 again

Try Call of Misery if you haven't. The slower pace and lack of "I am the god of the Zone after playing for 4 hours" makes for a much better experience imo.

There's also MLR which is a big modpack that has as of today apparently been fully translated into English - http://www.moddb.com/addons/mlr

Adds quests and a bunch of other stuff.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

GuyonthecoucH posted:

Whenever I tell someone about why stalker is this amazing game, this is the series of events that I gush over. Thanks for reminding me how great this game is.

god i'd forgotten about that sequence

motherfuckers

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
So i tackled the Brain Scorcher today in CoC equipped with a VEPR-12 and an AK-12 and about 150 rounds between both guns. I wasn't expecting to have to leave the way i did but i am very glad i had a billion grenades on me, and a GP-40 for my Ak12. I also learned the disgusting power of Slugs + VEPR. A single headshot was taking out dudes in exosuits.

Overall though, the Brain Scorcher lab was kind of disappointing. Nowhere near the fun/tension i had with disabling the Miracle Machine or doing X-16.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

The Jumpoff posted:

So i tackled the Brain Scorcher today in CoC equipped with a VEPR-12 and an AK-12 and about 150 rounds between both guns. I wasn't expecting to have to leave the way i did but i am very glad i had a billion grenades on me, and a GP-40 for my Ak12. I also learned the disgusting power of Slugs + VEPR. A single headshot was taking out dudes in exosuits.

Overall though, the Brain Scorcher lab was kind of disappointing. Nowhere near the fun/tension i had with disabling the Miracle Machine or doing X-16.

I got sent up there by Freedom to "break the invasion". I left with about 150 rounds for my Saiga and 400 rounds for my M4. Along the way ran into two squads of Monolith at the Border. Another squad at the checkpoint. Two Burers and four zombies just past it. Pack of boars by the radiated APC and trucks. A Controller by the guard tower. Two more squads of monolith by the fork to Pripyat. Three bloodsuckers half way up the hill. Took out the three Monolith tower snipers, mission accomplished...BLOWOUT, great. Heading back I come across four snorks where I'd taken out the bloodsuckers. Two pseudogiants on the road back towards the guard tower. Snorks by the guard tower. another pack of snorks by the APC and trucks, two packs of boars, a pack of flesh and three zombies, no one at the checkpoint because that way I could run smack dab into another two squads of Monolith entering the map.
At this point I have no ammo, been using broken guns because my original two went dry a long time ago. my exo suit is completely broken. Dashing through the field outside the freedom base another herd of snorks springs up. This game had a hate boner for me big time.

every time I tangle with a bandit strong point I get swarmed in bandits for a while after

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

CoC's respawn timer is at 15 mins I think, very short. DesolationX bumps that up and I like the feel more when something hasn't sprung up where I recently cleared. It's used as the base for CoM's spawns where it fits nicely with the more deadly weapons. Sparse but deadly is how I like the zone.

But that trip is memorable, good job surviving it. You could lower the spawn ratios if you're running at 1.0.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
As someone who's coming from years of CoC into CoM, the sharp incline of difficulty at the start seems . . . inaccessible. I'll keep giving it a try but I don't have much free time for continuing to find the right enemies to kill with a lovely pistol/shotgun to then slowly work my way up.

Everything I'd want to buy seems way more than any rewards from killing mutants/bandits would get me :(

GuyonthecoucH
Apr 10, 2004

I can't wait for CoC 1.5, haven't played in well over a year and for some terrible reason I want to beeline it for the Red Forest and try to survive in that zone. It'll be an interesting time if it's anything like the Clear Sky version. I loved how the atmosphere and design made it harder to navigate, let alone track monsters.

The underground sequences pushed a claustrophobic, you are trapped in this place with mutants feeling. You knew, relatively speaking, where the mutants might be.

In the red forest you are in a state of constantly trying to figure out where things are, and the thick forest gets in the way.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Morter posted:

As someone who's coming from years of CoC into CoM, the sharp incline of difficulty at the start seems . . . inaccessible. I'll keep giving it a try but I don't have much free time for continuing to find the right enemies to kill with a lovely pistol/shotgun to then slowly work my way up.

Everything I'd want to buy seems way more than any rewards from killing mutants/bandits would get me :(

The start is very slow, for sure. That's a feature, I believe. 😬

I suggest starting in either Cordon at the Rookie Village as a Loner or the Swamp base as Clear Sky. Do the missions available there, they pay quite well. Picked up rusty weapons can be quite effective, guns do not jam as frequently as in other mods. Hang onto any weapons you want to use later if they have mods on them, repair them once you've earned money. Old favorites like the bandits at the Cordon car park or the bandits in the upper left of the swamp map are still good early sources of kills. Spending some time in those two maps doing missions for the locals will get you enough money to repair a weapon soon enough.

The repair system is from Misery and in my opinion unnecessarily detailed. But I found it cheaper to buy the repair items and do it myself when repairing items that are completely broken. You have to dig through trader inventories to find the right repair items, but it pays off. Keeping stuff repaired is better done at the mechanics, it's not expensive to touch up gear.

Don't buy stuff from Sid, especially anything other than food. His prices are very high.

The best food item is the Old Meat near the bottom of most trader inventories. It gives you the most cals/ru. Carrying a couple of these with you is enough for a breakfast snack, found food will get you through the day.

The mod is quite slow and almost deliberate, encounters are few and deadly. You may not like that feel though, it's much slower than CoC.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
I'm gonna keep giving it a shot. Was surprised I hit 14k Ru after an encounter with a dozen bandits and some rats. The big time!!

What addons are recommended, to go along with STCoP? I wanna try fieldcraft (because I'd like to disassemble lovely weapons) but I doubt it works with that weapon mod

Edit: Tried Fieldcraft: It doesn't work. Textures are too goofy

Morter fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 24, 2018

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

The Jumpoff posted:

The perfect example of this, to me, is lab X-18 (or whatever the one in the Dark Valley is), because even though I have curb-stomped that lab 10+ times, in multiple build types, across original SoC, Complete, ZRP, and CoC, I dread it every single time because I KNOW what's going to happen and I never think I'm prepared enough. All the mutants, all the anomaly dodging, the surprise after you get the documents, getting back out, it's 100% tension and I usually have to devote an entire session to just that one part because afterwards I'm mentally drained from focusing on everything. And that's why it's my favorite part of the entirety of SoC.

emptyquoting this because goddamn, its true. i've gone through that lab SO many times and i still crouch walk my way through pretty much all of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

v1ld posted:

CoC's respawn timer is at 15 mins I think, very short. DesolationX bumps that up and I like the feel more when something hasn't sprung up where I recently cleared. It's used as the base for CoM's spawns where it fits nicely with the more deadly weapons. Sparse but deadly is how I like the zone.

But that trip is memorable, good job surviving it. You could lower the spawn ratios if you're running at 1.0.

Well see, it only does it when I actively engage in missions. If it was just a random shits and giggles run to Pripyat I wouldn't run into half the poo poo I did. A few dogs, some rodents, maybe a controller and some Monolith at most.

Morter posted:

This is the way SoC was set up, except you didn't run into an assload of high level mutants right out of the gate. A few boars and flesh and the five bandits at the car park were normally the first you went to gently caress with which your lovely pistol could somewhat do the job, and you'd get a shotgun or two and possibly grenades out of the bandits and that was pretty much it till you went to see Fox unless you actively went looking for trouble. Plus there were some hidden upgrades if you knew where to look.

Something I really like about CoC is that you can find things in stashes without having it marked. I mean I get the reasons why that's not the case in the other games, but it was still lovely to find a stash point with nothing in it and five minutes later when the coordinates were given it was magically full

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Feb 25, 2018