Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

It is a pretty average JRPG plot line the main thing that differentiates it is Yuri's morality but they drop that plotpoint pretty hard in the climax so it's kind of just an RPG where the protagonist murders a couple of people.

I don't think they ever drop the morality plotpoint; it just shifts from Yuri to Flynn during Act 2, and then Duke picks it up in Act 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
In retrospect, after sleeping my biggest issue with Symphonia is how it sets up a whole array of potentially interesting characters and then makes their only arc about what a nice guy Lloyd is.

The dungeons are up there though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
When Symphonia came out I stubbornly held it aloft for a good while almost purely as an irrational reaction to having a RPG on the Gamecube and that it went back to having a world map which I really wanted after FFX. I'm quite certain it's a game that is not possible to go back to outside of that time&place context.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

10/10 best game in the series.

Only mostly kidding, it is still my favourite even after countless replays over the years. So it is definitely possible to go back to it but you probably need to be a pretty specific type of person.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
symphonia isn't, like, totally atrocious, for all its janky chunkiness its combat even gets pretty fun, it's just holy poo poo, its script is barely there after the first act because they rewrote a bunch of poo poo so heavily and then ended up just scrapping a lot of it so on top of presea and regal just kind of ceasing to exist, zelos exists as an endless tease of character writing that existed at one point but now only gets brought up for like ten minutes total

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Wait, seriously? Is it known that the script was rewritten?

The Zestiria comparisons keep piling on.

e: and yeah a lot of Sylvarant was better written than the entire rest of the game even though it wasn't great, Sheena and Colette were both actually interesting and I've even sort of come to feel like the Kratos/Lloyd dynamic was okay back then. The exception is Palmacosta which I think they were trying to do something with but it's just kind of a mess.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 16, 2018

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Caphi posted:

Wait, seriously? Is it known that the script was rewritten?

The Zestiria comparisons keep piling on.

i'm not sure about everything else, but afaik the stuff around zelos was rewritten and is like, the most obvious stuff that could have taken up that entire chunk of the game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think colonel's slightly misinterpreting stuff, the writer for symphonia only said the 'original plan' for zelos was to give him a much more involved subplot and to have him have a sliding scale of loyalty using the affection system where he'd leave sooner or later based on your actions towards him, with the 'best' outcome being him heroically sacrificing himself for you, but then they decided to give you the option to have kratos come back and zelos's subplot got axed in favor of the choice between zelos and kratos at the end of the game.

this might have been something written into the game and nearly fully implemented (it wouldn't surprise me), but it might have only ever existed as bullet points on a design doc. the writer just said it was the original plan.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I really liked Symphonia up until partway through my LP of it.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

wdarkk posted:

I really liked Symphonia up until partway through my LP of it.

Same.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I hated Symphonia's story from the get-go and still don't really see any part of it that strikes me as being unfinished. I see the gaps in storytelling less that they intended for there to be more and more that it was just bad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Momomo posted:

I hated Symphonia's story from the get-go and still don't really see any part of it that strikes me as being unfinished. I see the gaps in storytelling less that they intended for there to be more and more that it was just bad.
This is about my stance too. Like if they'd had infinite time I'm sure they would have worked in a bit more for Regal and Presea but it's also just a function of having eleven 'party members' if you count Mithos and Noishe who pop up in skits about as much as Repede does in Vesperia.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I always felt like Noishe was something they couldn't work out for other games, since they hint that he's something that just changes form over time.

Or we get a game with fish Noishe in the future.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Im dying every time someone asks Yuri: even adults can't do certain things? Hes 21 and idek what I would do at my advanced age. Also, feeling old :gbsmith:

https://twitter.com/es_series/status/965024704619663360

https://twitter.com/amiami_amie/status/965028098126196736

Alder fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 18, 2018

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I enjoyed Tales of Berseria but I can't help but feel that I expected to enjoy it more based on the word of mouth. There's nothing that specifically stands out as being bad but somehow it just never came together 100% for me. I guess if I were to put it one way it's that virtually everything in the game played out exactly the way I expected it would; not necessarily that I knew what twists would come my way, but rather that when I would hit such moments I'd constantly just go "...yeah, that's about the only way that could've gone." I guess I really didn't care for futzing around with equipment constantly at shops, pretty much everything about that system was tedious. Also, god drat Bienfu might be the most annoying Tales mascot.

There are absolutely some things that merit mentioning though; the relationships between the characters were in general very strong. Everyone obviously goes with the shades of gray, "actually, we are the JRPG villains!" shtick to a certain extent but I think it works for what it is and obviously we are still meant to cheer for them as with any protagonist. I want to call particular attention to Eleanor, who I felt was one of the most natural examples of a character very much outside of the group working their way slowly but surely into the group's dynamic. Her relationship with Velvet starts out so cold obviously and by the end how they warmed up to each other felt genuinely moving in its own way. Not overwrought in any fashion and probably the interactions I looked forward to the most. Finally, Eizen is secretly (or not so secretly?) one of the funniest Tales characters I've seen and was fun to have around.

I'm not sure how to feel about Zaveid; throughout most of the story I couldn't help but feel he felt completely out of place, and sure enough he's apparently in Zestiria. In a vacuum he's fine, but something about all of his storyline felt incongruous.

The battle system was solid. Can't say I felt it revolutionized the way I look at Tales games (in fact if anything else I got to a point where I pretty much turned my brain off to play it), but there was nothing inherently off about it either. I do think I connected with it more than something like Graces in terms of non-TP Tales systems.

For better or worse, the actual singular moment I liked the most was the sidequest involving Jude and Milla.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
When people praise Berseria, it's mainly about the reasons you gave there. The game is good fun, but it's not particularly fantastic when compared to some of the other titles. It's the cast that really shines through as being one of the best in the series.

Also, a lot of the positivity toward it is because Zestiria was.. well, it was something alright, and no one is quite sure what it was supposed to be.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

At the very least I am looking forward to Tales 2019, a game they probably know how to make now and for all we can hope is not still about Desolation

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Bienfu is a self-loating mascot and that makes him the best mascot.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Bienfu is pretty much dragged down by his voice direction which is a shame since it’s not even like Monica Rial is a mediocre VA, but apparently he’s not super fun to listen to in Japanese either?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Bienfu's casting is perfectly faithful to the Japanese and this is, frankly, a flaw.

(Especially after Teepo.)

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Nate RFB posted:

For better or worse, the actual singular moment I liked the most was the sidequest involving Jude and Milla.

lol I just got that to that quest tonight, in the middle of rounding up and finishing off all the sidequests before heading to the final dungeon.

From my playthrough, I'd say about the same things you do, the story is more competent than amazing, the battle system is fine though I still find it wonky, the music is good but not outstanding and the environments look okay but not breathtaking. A lot of the game levels out to just being okay.

But drat, I really, really enjoy hanging out with these dorks. It's a small cast but they're tight and well thought out and develop in interesting ways and they all want to corrupt Laphicet and it's great. Heck there's even a lot going on with background characters, too. That girl who's swooning over a guitarist eventually starts a band with him. The bandit you beat up really early on eventually moves to the big city to start a restaurant. And I don't know why, but at least three different people proposed to Eleanor while I was walking around the city.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Other stream of consciousness thoughts, after sleeping on it a bit...

(Ending Stuff)I'm kind of whatever about how the story actually wraps up, but the more I think about it the more I REALLY like how Velvet's arc ultimately played out. She was more or less doomed to not have a generic happily ever after but the whole sealing herself with her brother and the Brazil-esque dream sequence in the credits just really felt very emotionally affecting. It's bittersweet but it's a very satisfying in the end.

I've felt this for a while but I feel like Tales games have simplified the strategy setups and options you could program in for the party, ultimately to the detriment of the overall experience. I really liked for example messing with various "when your HP is at this level, do this" behavioral modifiers, or going even further back how you could go ahead and set up macros that you could swap to and from very easily for boss fights. I went most of Berseria completely forgetting about mystic artes because I didn't want them to use them on anything but boss fights but then proceeded to forget to set them for boss fights. I don't know, it just felt like in general Berseria was a game that I felt the least compelled to engage with its systems, either because I found them unnecessary, tedious, or because indeed they were just simplified/distilled down.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I haven't played a Tales game in about 5 years, but I've been working my way through Berseria since it was on sale.

In true Tales fashion, I love the game but I can't figure out why. The combat isn't really that fantastic and just devolves into a button masher, the dungeon and level design is repetitive and boring as gently caress, I actively want Bienfu to get hit by a truck, and the plot is "okay" at best. Really the one thing that shines is what's already been said, the main cast is really likable even though they really had to make some reaches.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bienfu wants to get hit by a truck too

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Bienfu wants to get hit by a truck, and then Magilou to lovingly feed him and nurse him back to health over months, and then when he's finally completely healed and back to his full strength, punt him into the ocean.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

Bienfu wants to get hit by a truck, and then Magilou to lovingly feed him and nurse him back to health over months, and then when he's finally completely healed and back to his full strength, punt him into the ocean.

same

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Not a joke post: Magilou and Bienfu are the most realistically written siblings in Tales history.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
http://a0t.co/2018/02/2852

Well, poo poo.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

oh it's OK it's not like I've been looking forward to playing Destiny DC for the past like ten years or anything

:rip:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

voltcatfish posted:

oh it's OK it's not like I've been looking forward to playing Destiny DC for the past like ten years or anything

Someone please tell me it’s not worth playing, even if it’s a boldfaced lie

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

honestly i was playing it recently and just got bored and dropped it i think near the end of the game. you had a string of really tedious dungeons i got fed up with and something about 2d tales combat has never clicked for me.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

voltcatfish posted:

Tbf I wouldn’t be surprised if we eventually got some kind of anthology collection like the blog was saying that did get localized, the PS2-era games are two console gens old and Symphonia/Abyss at least have ports.

The real tragedy is that Liam O’Brian won’t be voicing mullet bro from Destiny (Stahn?) even if that does happen.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Come on! There was so much activity around Destiny DC. Why get my hopes up for nothing?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I want it to be the case that that means an official something is coming.

But in reality I know they're probably just tired of working on fan translations for years.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Phantasium posted:

I want it to be the case that that means an official something is coming.

But in reality I know they're probably just tired of working on fan translations for years.

One of his paragraphs was him going "Hey bamco want this shittery" so it's definitely the latter.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lol if that guy thinks destiny dc will actually get an official pc port with a translation

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

lol if that guy thinks destiny dc will actually get an official pc port with a translation

Even if Bandai-Namco was planning it in any form, it's not like fan patches stopped them from shipping Phantasia or Hearts R at all.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

voltcatfish posted:

:same:

Give the work to a team who wants to do it.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

ROFL Octopus posted:

Someone please tell me it’s not worth playing, even if it’s a boldfaced lie

The story kind of exists but as a fun game it is, in each category (other than dungeons, those are eh), the best in Tales history.

No, sorry, the cooking system isn't the best in Tales history but it is the father of the best cooking system in Tales history, so that counts.

Here is what I would say is a highly representative boss battle, insofar as any boss battle is representative because Destiny is like Graces in that every boss has a hosed up gimmick that may or may not anger you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMFKwUQYnBM

As Tales games I would have translated if I had a genie wish or a quadrillion yen, Rebirth ranks higher, but it's not as though the field of untranslated Tales games is that wide anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I bought Berseria, it's my first Tales game, and I'm enjoying it so far (finally got Magilou as a party member). I'm not sure I understand the combat, though. I'm playing on the highest difficulty, because I like JRPG combat, but poo poo seems to sometimes completely destroy me, and sometimes get stunlocked to death by Velvet, and I don't know what I'm doing differently in those situations. I'm only lv 14, because the XP rate is pretty low on this difficulty, but I've beaten a couple level 20 bosses.

Also, the gear system. Should I attempt to master every piece on everyone who can use it (which seems to be extremely time-consuming), or just use the highest rarity poo poo I've got, upgraded as much as possible?