Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Oh my god this episode. I just about had an anxiety attack on my couch with that snatch game and Shangela's speech. I felt so so bad for Trixie. I actually teared up a little when she started crying during judging.

Chi-chi was so graceful with leaving. So much respect and love for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

There's basically no way in hell Ben's not winning this whole thing, is there? 4 consecutive wins with most likely more on the way, and at this rate no one is catching up with her track record. Not that I'm complaining. Unless it's gonna be decided by a lipsync like Season 9's, I guess, but that seems unlikely. Season 9's final lipsync was as big of a deal as it was mostly due to the live audience, and since they haven't been doing a big reunion show for All Stars I don't think they're busting that out for this one either.

Shangela's playing the camera really well but god the Game of Thrones references get old really fast. Trixie's crash and burn was hard to watch.

Aja's performance has been a pleasant surprise week after week, it feels like she's really honed her performer instinct. Her Snatch Game was great. I could even see her in the top 3 with Shangie and Ben, from the way things are going.

e: i also just wanna add that throughout that lipsync shangela looked like she didnt appreciate ben making her share the spotlight at all and im like, kinda amused by that

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Feb 16, 2018

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

blizzardvizard posted:

e: i also just wanna add that throughout that lipsync shangela looked like she didnt appreciate ben making her share the spotlight at all and im like, kinda amused by that

shangela's weird paranoia about ben was her most grating moment in the episode. ben seemed pretty genuine during makeup times

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

blizzardvizard posted:

There's basically no way in hell Ben's not winning this whole thing, is there? 4 consecutive wins with most likely more on the way, and at this rate no one is catching up with her track record.

The lack of Ben's talking heads compared to say, Shangela, makes me think that she might stumble on an episode which Shangela wins, who then eliminates her, after the possibility of returning has already gone. Shangela will go on to say that Ben was playing the game all along and she just got rid of her only real competition.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I haven't really been impressed with Bebe so far, she's good but hasn't stood out in any of the challenges or runways for me. Trixie's kind of been the same, consistently middle of the pack.

Shangela and Ben are killing it, they're the queens to beat for sure.

I was disappointed in Trixie and Kennedy in Snatch Game, I was hoping for strong performances. Aja did a lot better than I thought she would, her LaBeija was great. Bebe and Chi Chi were bad imo.

It looks like from the preview, someone's gonna really drop the ball in the sewing challenge. Maybe Shangela? Definitely not Ben, her looks are always solid.

I feel like Bebe is kind of coasting on plot armor, they have to keep her around because she's the first winner. I like her, but I don't see how she's going to compete with Shangela and Ben.

Seluin
Jan 4, 2004

When Chi Chi misspelled her character’s name I died, crystallized, and teleported to Mars.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Season 10 just got announced: Thursdays starting March 22nd, all episodes are 90 minutes plus Untucked is back on TV.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

caligulamprey posted:

Season 10 just got announced: Thursdays starting March 22nd, all episodes are 90 minutes plus Untucked is back on TV.

:nyd::yeah::woop::supaburn:

And this means that the Finale will probably be Pride weekend again.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
GAH I just got majorly spoiled by an untagged spoiler on reddit
Goddamnit
I knew I was playing with fire but still
:allbuttons:

caligulamprey posted:

Hell yeah no off season!

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

More and more I'm buying into the theory that Bebe is a mole. She's just sorta coasted by without any real critiques from the judges. I find it hard to believe in AS3 that someone can really just float by.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Season 10 premieres on my birthday <3 Thanks Ru!!!

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

alf_pogs posted:

shangela's weird paranoia about ben was her most grating moment in the episode. ben seemed pretty genuine during makeup times

Just wanna point out that Darienne Lake did this exact same thing on her season. Ben awakens insecurity in some people like some kind of Self-Doubt Elemental and I do not envy her for it, because with talent like that it must be pretty isolating. :( (This also seems to affect Courtney Act. Not really a surprise that the two of them are good friends.)

On a lighter note, this season has been reality TV gold, please just put "All Stars 3" as an entity into the Drag Race hall of fame.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Jay O posted:

Just wanna point out that Darienne Lake did this exact same thing on her season. Ben awakens insecurity in some people like some kind of Self-Doubt Elemental and I do not envy her for it, because with talent like that it must be pretty isolating. :( (This also seems to affect Courtney Act. Not really a surprise that the two of them are good friends.)
In addition to being Very Very Good At Drag, Ben and Courtney are both extremely smart, in an almost academic way. They also come across like grownups, and the combination of being a super-brain, highly competent and also a grownup must be intimidating, especially in this milieu.

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

I think their strict professionalism can be intimidating since it makes them look impenetrable. They're friendly, but not vulnerable or motherly so it's hard to relate.

I think it puts people's insecurities on overdrive, especially in an environment where they're being directly compared to others.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
So happy to hear Season 10 starts this March!

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I thought Shangela had a point with Ben's "I took Trixie's win" act. Ben's personality comes off as mostly genuine, but she does seem to downplay how well she's doing. Shangela's an expert gameplayer and has only gotten better and more refined since S3. I don't see her actions as paranoia, she knows what she's doing.

It's really entertaining to watch the two of them square off, because they're both polished veterans with a sense of the metagame.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Finally catching up right now.

Aphra Bane posted:

God dammit Chi Chi, you didn't even prepare an answer for the caged bird question?!
Ugh. I love her, but it's like she just walked straight off season 8. Better outfits but like, zero refinement.
There was a real moment in Season 8 during the Book Ball when Chi Chi came out in that loving paper dress and I thought, holy poo poo, Chi Chi might dark horse this entire thing and I was all for it. When she didn't my immediate thought was "Take a couple years, earn a bit of cash, refine what you're doing, come back and destroy All Stars." Whelp. :shrug:

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Overall that was probably the worst Snatch Game I've seen, especially compared to All-Stars 2 where Alyssa slayed me and she was only safe.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It was both the best (because Cheno w her pre written answers) and worst (b/c lol like 3 people performed well) of Snatch Games.

The first ever was pretty rough, too, tbf.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I want a losers of drag race season. First one out in every season competes. Complete rudemption.

Judges are Santino, Toddrick and Merle.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
If anybody other than Dela wins . . . (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)

THS
Sep 15, 2017

caligulamprey posted:

oh hell ya

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

http://www.vh1.com/video-clips/bz9ieb/rupauls-drag-race-all-stars-aja-the-perfect-snatch?fb_ref=share_web

More Aja Snatch

I’m really proud of her, her acting skills were AWFULLLLLLL before and while it’s not necessarily top tier, it’s REALLY good.

Edit:

Oh god Chi Chi’s :cry::magical:

http://www.vh1.com/video-clips/fghleq/rupauls-drag-race-all-stars-chi-chi-devayne-the-perfect-snatch

somnambulist fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 17, 2018

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I didn't notice she had used eyeliner to expand her nostrils.

That's... unfortunate.

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

What on earth would compel Chi Chi to play a poet? I don't think I've ever seen Maya on video. She should have picked literally any other person on the planet.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Angelou has a really distinct way of talking that she clearly tried to emulate but holy poo poo if you can not be clever and play with words don't do her! Chichi did the same mistake that most non comedy queens do. She didn't stick to someone she normally would imitate when your having fun with your friends. She didn't chose someone who she felt comfortable with because she thought that you had to be super fancy and referential. What pop culture icon do you joke about and act out as with your friends? That's who you do.
I have to say that I'm surprised that so many people are surprised that Ben is doing this well? She knew who she was and was way more polished than any of the other queen of her season. If any queen should be mad about their season it should be her. Michelle had a total hate boner for her and it's super weird to see her all of a sudden be so down with what she does when that has always been what Ben does. Ben has always been polished but she's just a teeny bit more so now.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Sarcopenia posted:

I have to say that I'm surprised that so many people are surprised that Ben is doing this well? She knew who she was and was way more polished than any of the other queen of her season. If any queen should be mad about their season it should be her. Michelle had a total hate boner for her and it's super weird to see her all of a sudden be so down with what she does when that has always been what Ben does. Ben has always been polished but she's just a teeny bit more so now.

I've always said that the critiques on season 6 were...weird. They criticized Ben, Courtney, and Joslyn for doing the same things, wearing the same looks, and having the same characters throughout the entire season, meanwhile Bianca and Darienne did exactly that and were never once called out for it. Now that Ben's become a fan favorite and worked more with Michelle during the tours and such, Michelle is more...accepting? Of Ben's shtick that she used to be.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

It was probably also that Bianca was the designated winner of the season, with Adore as the "underdog" and Courtney as the "villain" to round up the top 3, so the producers had no space for Ben. So they make Ben get all these weird-rear end critiques to justify her going home earlier than she should.

Ben going home on the ball episode in particular was total bullshit when she had the best outfit of the bunch.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Ben was one of my favorites in season 6, and I was so heartbroken/pissed when she didn't make the top 4. Especially over Darrienne Lake. :cripes:

I'm so happy she's doing incredibly well this season.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Trixie is posting some hilarious stuff on Instagram about this week's episode. For example, https://www.instagram.com/p/BfQ5-Tlha3p/

Which is 100% what it felt like when I watched the episode

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

So glad Ben is finally getting the attention she deserves. I loved her in season 6, saw her live a few times in NYC and she's just so polished and funny.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The shade from Shangela this ep was so good. Even moreso after the challenge when she was serving Tyra realness after her Beyonce look.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

curiousTerminal posted:

I've always said that the critiques on season 6 were...weird.

I blame Santino. No reason, I just blame him. My shoe came untied, drat YOU SANTINO :argh:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Pinwiz11 posted:

I blame Santino. No reason, I just blame him. My shoe came untied, drat YOU SANTINO :argh:

Santino and Todrick are both bad as judges. Santino is a weird douchebag with bad opinions, Todrick never contributes anything other than "you look great!"

tbf Todrick seems pretty good as a dance challenge coach, the divas lipsynch was great. he's just a boring non-entity on the judge panel

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Behind the scenes with the 4th eliminated queen (featuring SLM)

Chi Chi is just so precious. I wish they did Miss C for All Stars so she could win.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

https://twitter.com/goopery/status/964184663853019137

I got to watch the untranslated episode. It was still followable in terms of format (workroom intro, mini and maxi challenges, LSFYL) although I hope someone is kind enough to translate for subtitles, or at least do episode reviews (if anyone has recommendations please share them). One of the queens (JAJA) does all her talking head segments in English.

The mini challenge was (spoiler tags just in case anyone is following this to fill/supplement the gap from AS3 to S10 in March) a photoshoot where their Pit Crew guys dumped buckets of water over them while the queens used a makeup remover cloth. The main challenge runway was incorporating cheap/weird/hard-to-use fabric/materials into their fashion, which by the way had to present three different looks! Sewing/craft challenge right out of the gate. Both challenges were excellent for a first episode, we’ve seen similar on previous seasons although I’d love to see S10 do some of the same. During the judging a vast majority of the queens were safe, and it was clear to me hostess Art Arya was giving them the “safe is not where you want to be in this competition” speech.

Random stuff:
- from the workroom to the runway the sets look uh...very season 1. Well, maybe season 3 to be fair. Nyx is one of the major sponsors.
- the runway winner’s prize was for a place that included “medical” in the logo, I’m guessing it’s probably a spa-type place?
- the queens on average seem a little older than US Drag Race casting, with several being around 30. The oldest is 37 and the youngest 18!
- during the runway a queen simulating smoking had her mouth censored, which is how I learned showing smoking on TV is censored in Thailand.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
Fun fact: Benben's elimination on season 6 was the exact moment I lost my infatuation with this show. It felt like the overproduced garbageness of it all has crossed a line and I've been mostly "meh" about it since. AS2 was enjoyable but being spoiled about it really ruined the fun.

I am enjoying the hell out of AS3 :allears:

I disliked Shangie while watching S3 originally but now she is so friggin entertaining I LIVE
Ham it up mawma! Original Edwards represent! Gay adjective!

Willam dropped some hints about what to expect from this season and that combined with next week's preview makes me super hyped for it

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Pellisworth posted:

Santino and Todrick are both bad as judges. Santino is a weird douchebag with bad opinions, Todrick never contributes anything other than "you look great!"

tbf Todrick seems pretty good as a dance challenge coach, the divas lipsynch was great. he's just a boring non-entity on the judge panel

Santino was such an annoying dick on Project Runway, Red Lobster dates aside, that I still go "booooooooo" when he comes onscreen in Drag Race.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Santino went kind of insane, not quite Lucian Piane insane, but

https://twitter.com/SANTINORICE/status/961135233419632641

Mostly he just makes wishes at 11:11 on twitter.

Also, I know a lot of people don't like reddit or spoilers, but there's a new subreddit which is ALL spoilers: https://www.reddit.com/r/SpoiledDragRace/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

angerbeet posted:

Santino went kind of insane, not quite Lucian Piane insane, but

https://twitter.com/SANTINORICE/status/961135233419632641

Mostly he just makes wishes at 11:11 on twitter.

Also, I know a lot of people don't like reddit or spoilers, but there's a new subreddit which is ALL spoilers: https://www.reddit.com/r/SpoiledDragRace/

Does that mean the regular subreddit is safe to look at?

• Locked thread