Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

TinTower posted:

Surely Ypres, Christmas Day 1914?

Oh, you're probably right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

Ghost Light is a very good story, the downside is that it can take a couple of viewings to piece everything together. It’s very densely packed, and there’s not a wasted moment (indeed, it could honestly use a little more room to breathe).

I always say this when Ghost Light comes up: read the Target novelization. Its by the guy whowrote the episode, and fleshes everything out far more with stuff that got cut. I read it first and had no problem following the episode.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CommonShore posted:

I like Battlefield. It's just a gigantic disorganized pile of gobbledycook, but the Brig is amazing, and so are the scenes in which the doctor is getting pissed off at his future self.

It's also got Jean Marsh as Morgaine, who rules. I like the symmetry of her turning up in Nicholas Courtney's last (classic series) story, given the two of them played siblings in his first appearance.

If you think about it, Morgaine's kind of a proto-River -- a future character who has a long history with the Doctor, only the Doctor doesn't really know her yet. I also appreciate her being explicitly magical, wielding abilities that make her anathema to Who's pseudo-science heritage.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

marktheando posted:

Battlefield is great. The only bad McCoys are Silver Nemesis and Time and the Rani.

I thought people didn't care for Delta and the Bannermen?

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Time And The Rani is the only McCoy story I'd hesitate to call "good" and even that at least hits the entertaining note of being the last desperate gasps of the Colin Baker years.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I like every McCoy TV story in one way or another. Even "Time and the Rani." There's just something weird and great about that era of "Doctor Who."

The problem is, I don't really like many of his Big Finish stories. I don't know what it is, but they almost never work for me. I'm listening to "UNIT: Dominion" right now after hearing great things, and it's just boring me to tears.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of Big Finish, they're running a $5 sale on Main Range stores 101-150 til the 22nd

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

thrawn527 posted:

Those two Tom Baker calls were brilliant, and exactly what my cold, dead heart needed after the last few days. Thank you.

My favourite.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Sorry folks, the bad McCoys are embarrassingly cringingly bad and if you can't see why the Controller of BBC One would look at Silver Nemesis or Delta and the Bannermen and think "you know, this show needs a few years off so people can forget that we put this badly-acted cheap embarrassing absolute toss on our main channel and invited them to watch it", you need your head looking at

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Those serials are weird, stupid messes and I love them. I don't care what some stuffy old dude from the 80s thought about them

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Edward Mass posted:

Still waiting for the English-speaking world to catch up with the Germans on season box sets of the classic series!

:shittypop: do they have English audio

I really don't like new Who but I am a whore for the classic series

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Trin Tragula posted:

Sorry folks, the bad McCoys are embarrassingly cringingly bad and if you can't see why the Controller of BBC One would look at Silver Nemesis or Delta and the Bannermen and think "you know, this show needs a few years off so people can forget that we put this badly-acted cheap embarrassing absolute toss on our main channel and invited them to watch it", you need your head looking at

Counterpoint:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Dang, I hit all the Jerusalem reviews for the 12th Doctor. Those were good and I hope you do the rest of season 10.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

They do! This is what I want to get an international release (in English, obviously)

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

https://twitter.com/io9/status/964517444483198976

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I didn’t know Twitter existed in the 1980’s.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Are the modern comics any good?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The art is pretty bad in my experience.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 42 days!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

:hfive: I recently started watching a bunch of classic DW and it brings back warm childhood memories. :3:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Interesting that they have Cartmel and Aaronovitch back for it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

marktheando posted:

Battlefield is great. The only bad McCoys are Silver Nemesis and Time and the Rani.

I really like Silver Nemesis.

Don't ask me to justify it, I can't, it's objectively awful, but for some reason I liked it when it first aired, taped it on VHS and rewatched it over and over and over again v:shobon:v

CobiWann posted:

I thought people didn't care for Delta and the Bannermen?

When most people see it airing, they depart... WITH A SCREAM! but some people can bring themselves to almost only think it's kinda awful.

Rirse posted:

Dang, I hit all the Jerusalem reviews for the 12th Doctor. Those were good and I hope you do the rest of season 10.

I absolutely will, it looks like Lick is wrapped up in his (very fun) Every Story Ever roulette over in BSS, so I'll probably just start up again by myself from the Monk Trilogy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Are the modern comics any good?

They try but overall they've been bad.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Dabir posted:

Rhyno posted:

They try but overall they've been bad.

That’s what I figured. IDW’s artists range from serviceable to outright awful. That’s why I stopped bothering with their Trek stuff.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Dabir posted:

Rachael Stott is one of the nicest people you could ever meet and a great artist. She did the early run of the Twelve comics and nailed that character long before the TV show did. It's pretty much the only example I can think of where a show has course corrected to be more like it's comic than the reverse.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Box of Bunnies posted:

Interesting that they have Cartmel and Aaronovitch back for it.

Time for some Looms. BITCHES! :getin:

jivjov posted:

Speaking of Big Finish, they're running a $5 sale on Main Range stores 101-150 til the 22nd

One day, I'll be so behind on Big Finish that all the sale stuff in the Main Rainge will be stuff I dont already have...

One day. :negative:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

So this got me wondering which Doctor has had the most third-party stories? It's got to be either Seven or Eight, between Big Finish and the New Adventures/BBC Doctor Who novel lines, right?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Delta and the Bannermen is too silly for me to dislike. Silver Nemesis though commits the cardinal sin of being really boring.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Delta and the Bannermen really captures the feeling of being trapped in a poo poo holiday resort and being convinced that you're going to die there

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
In 2015, Steven Moffat endorsed the fan theory that Goronwy is a future incarnation of the Doctor, and said that the idea fit well with the Doctor's line about retiring to become a beekeeper in "The Name of the Doctor".

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

At this hotel that I'm using their free WiFi I sat down and literally three feet away from me Steven Moffat was there. Next to him was peter harness.

For a split second I was worried that doctor who had found me and was executing me for my crimes

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm finally listening to some Big Finish this weekend. Apparently I was on The Demons of Red Lodge and Other Stories. It's okay so far, although it feels a bit too fast-paced for what they were going for. Good to get back to it all, though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

At this hotel that I'm using their free WiFi I sat down and literally three feet away from me Steven Moffat was there.

That's aweso-

Next to him was peter harness.

Oh no! :ohdear:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Well, the first story in the Second Doctor Boxset sure is... something. :stare: Dick Sharples must have had a chronic case of horniness while writing it, and Guerrier, unfortunately, caught it somehow before adapting it. I'm amazed that Wendy Padbury could get through half of the descriptions of skin-tight outfits without laughing out loud.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

At this hotel that I'm using their free WiFi I sat down and literally three feet away from me Steven Moffat was there. Next to him was peter harness.

Is this your subtle way of telling us you're attending the Gallifrey One convention, where they're both attending?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Watched the "Monk Trilogy", which was a pretty get set of episodes, but the finale was a bit disappointing since it felt like a mixture of the finale with Master taking over the world and Martha being the one person left (Master even in this episode!) and the Silence second parter with them going after a foe who in control of all. Probably was hoping Missy would been a wild card that the Monks didn't count on in the simulation who defeated them since they are in her way instead of "love conquerors all" ending.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Zaroff posted:

Is this your subtle way of telling us you're attending the Gallifrey One convention, where they're both attending?

No, I had no idea it was there. I literally left the bathroom and sat down and boom there was steven moffat.

Also, seeing the types of people who attend doctor who fan conventions, I now have little-to-no interest in attending a doctor who fan convention.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Rirse posted:

Watched the "Monk Trilogy", which was a pretty get set of episodes, but the finale was a bit disappointing since it felt like a mixture of the finale with Master taking over the world and Martha being the one person left (Master even in this episode!) and the Silence second parter with them going after a foe who in control of all. Probably was hoping Missy would been a wild card that the Monks didn't count on in the simulation who defeated them since they are in her way instead of "love conquerors all" ending.

This is probably the most positive review I've read of the third monk episode

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

2house2fly posted:

This is probably the most positive review I've read of the third monk episode

I never saw the thread when the episode first aired so I had no clue what opinion was. The setup for the Monks in part 1 and 2 were neat, but they felt like lesser Silence in the end. Man the Silence were pretty creepy villains which surprised they didn't get overused. They and their leader are still alive too since she only died in the alt reality too.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Astroman posted:

Time for some Looms. BITCHES! :getin:

:emo:

Bicyclops posted:

Well, the first story in the Second Doctor Boxset sure is... something. :stare: Dick Sharples must have had a chronic case of horniness while writing it, and Guerrier, unfortunately, caught it somehow before adapting it. I'm amazed that Wendy Padbury could get through half of the descriptions of skin-tight outfits without laughing out loud.

Yeeeeah, that's one i very much avoided despite being a big fan on the Companion Chronicles format and some of the other First/Second Doctor Lost Stories simply because I heard such risible things about the first story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Also, seeing the types of people who attend doctor who fan conventions, I now have little-to-no interest in attending a doctor who fan convention.

Yeah, I don't want to meet Peter Harness either

• Locked thread