Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I love that terrible rasterization, it's absolutely perfect. A special brush? Special filter?
Sooooooo this involved doing the main illustration on an iPad, then doing the type and layout in InDesign. Then I exported a PDF of the full thing to Photoshop and individually ran bitmap halftoning on each of the CMYK channels. Also I nudged the channels out of alignment to suggest a registration error. I LOVE PRINT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Neon Noodle posted:

Al, would you ever consider learning a more full-featured animation program like OpenToonz?

hmmm.... thanks for the suggestion, i'll look into it. i like aseprite for its simplicity but it looks like OpenToonz does some stuff that i really wish aseprite would do, and honestly there is more sophisticated stuff i've wanted to do but that aseprite just can't handle in its current state (for example, parallax scrolling is a huge pain in the rear end to do because of the way aseprite handles wrapping).

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

d3c0y2 posted:

Your work-rate must be so drat high, you seem to post another high quality GIF in this thread every day.

I like your ectoplasm period.

I hope so. I've been focusing mainly on reading these books and doing the exercises in them (With a little modernization in the case of Ruskin. For gently caress sake Ruskin I do not have a pen knife to score out ink, stop telling me to do it)
if you're talking about the one I'm thinking of, yeah... it's pretty tough without a good quality pen and good quality paper, not to mention no penknife, so don't kill yourself on it haha... it's mostly about getting the mechanical practice of finely controlled pressure and straight, parallel lines with consistent spacing; as long as you do a lot of them and shoot to improve all of those, you'll probably be set.

e: actually the ghost of Ruskin will probably murder me if I claim to simplify what it's "about" but that's mostly what I think is good about it :sweatdrop:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I drew a pokemon picture for my brother's birthday.

Nothing special about it but it did teach me something. If I wanna put backgrounds in my pic I really need to plan them out ahead of time rather than winging it. I wanted this to have a background but couldn't come up with anything that looked right due to the angles I had the pokemon facing.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

"Zach, don't be alarmed but we appear to be trapped in a crude drawing."

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Spinster posted:

Next time a suggestion from a total ignoramus (me) is having the umbrella be almost taking water, just barely not.

Ah, yeah, you're right about that. For some reason I didn't even think about the buoyancy!

al-azad posted:

:popeye:

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Neon Noodle posted:

I realize that now! I am shame. :smith:

I have been following this fun twitter account called @conceptsbot, it tweets weird surreal ideas. I took one of them and did it as a 90's computer magazine ad:

This is so good.

I am trying to force myself to do more digital painting. I know it is a matter of consistency but I am still stubbornly holding on to my sketchbook.

Daily doodle / figure drawing

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/964220232645664769

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

really missed an opportunity for a piecorgi joke

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Al! posted:

really missed an opportunity for a piecorgi joke

I can't win them all, okay?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

my buddy Superfly posted:

I can't win them all, okay?

(its a good drawing, very moody, i like it a lot)

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Al! posted:

(its a good drawing, very moody, i like it a lot)

Thank you! I was really happy with being able to capture the mood created from the game in that area.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I call him "Bog".

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Sorry to spam the thread with the mural but...

Tried to sand down some paint on the face and used the wrong grit sandpaper. Ruined the face and smeared black sandpaper everywhere. So I had to paint over the face. Also touched up the arm with some better ref, so there is some anatomy there now.

... and something looser.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 15, 2018

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

Neon Noodle posted:

Sooooooo this involved doing the main illustration on an iPad, then doing the type and layout in InDesign. Then I exported a PDF of the full thing to Photoshop and individually ran bitmap halftoning on each of the CMYK channels. Also I nudged the channels out of alignment to suggest a registration error. I LOVE PRINT.

HAHA I should've guessed it would be more involved. Really nailed the look.

al-azad posted:

Bravely coloured lines in lineart, ten points to Gryffindor.

I loved Night in the Woods, and I loved stealing pretzels. On a quick glance I thought it was just a pic from the game and then I had to look harder.
It's unlikely anyone here happens to be looking for an adventure game to play right now but if you are, I can safely recommend Night in the Woods in this thread because the main character does daily doodles!

Blurry cat selfie

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

https://twitter.com/Shinmera/status/964286789811933184

Finding a good reference picture of someone tying/adjusting their hair knot turned out to be too much of a bother (lots of back shots or result pictures, but nothing from the front) so I just winged it.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I had contour drawings on the mind so I sat down and did some. It was... illuminating?

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

https://twitter.com/Shinmera/status/964637327954935808

Hair is quite enjoyable to draw. Something about how it flows, I guess.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

dupersaurus posted:

I had contour drawings on the mind so I sat down and did some. It was... illuminating?

Did it illuminate a deep-buried dark corner of your mind where you found out you only wanna draw cats forever? Or did it just illuminate the same corner from my mind, where I only want to see you draw cats forever? :iiam:

On the subject of flowy hair; I concur.

I can only hope someone is expressing a desire to see me draw this vampire poo poo forever, 'cause it doesn't look like I'm growing out of it anytime soon.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Did it illuminate a deep-buried dark corner of your mind where you found out you only wanna draw cats forever? Or did it just illuminate the same corner from my mind, where I only want to see you draw cats forever? :iiam:

Drawing my cats is something that has been lurking in my brain...

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I HATE hair. Did this today, one eye great the other I just can't fix. She has messy makeup, not beat up. I'm going to try adding color so that's clear.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Spinster posted:

I HATE hair. Did this today, one eye great the other I just can't fix. She has messy makeup, not beat up. I'm going to try adding color so that's clear.

I dunno, looks good to me Spins!

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I'm going to start to color them. Goofus and Gallant were in pencil but color will hide a lot of sins. Forgot to add eyelights oops. Will do it later of course.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

that looks great

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Al! posted:

that looks great

Thank you SO much I'm pretty tickled. Took 2 hrs though.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

I practiced for a eventual painting I want to make for a present.

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/964699238423760896

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

dupersaurus posted:

Drawing my cats is something that has been lurking in my brain...

That didn’t take long

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Spinster posted:

Thank you SO much I'm pretty tickled. Took 2 hrs though.

i like how textured all your stuff is, you're really good at working with the grain of the paper

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

I wanted to get a drawing done for the lunar new year as well so here's a very happy dog.

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/964761511053942784

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

my buddy Superfly posted:

I practiced for a eventual painting I want to make for a present.

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/964699238423760896

A few notes: you've used a pretty nearby vanishing point for the light poles but divided the length between them equally and made them equally thick, which makes them look slightly off. It would be ok to move the nearest light pole straight to the foreground, on the curve of the road or adjusting the two further ones to be closer together, though it still feels like you're trying to cover a further distance than what "fits" in the space. Does that make sense?
Also, since the branches are such a strong, solid part of the foreground, I would not obscure where they start so much. It stops the flow that the branches form, and makes them look like they're floating. If you want to add several types of foliage, make sure the branches still read behind them, or move the branches to the left and add the bushy leaves to the right corner. If you were worried about adding too much solid dark branch, don't be afraid to keep even long branches thin. They are rarely as solidly built as the trunk and as long as they get just a bit thicker, they'll read correctly.

dupersaurus posted:

That didn’t take long

Yessss did you use the same catface as reference as on the last page of the contour drawings?

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Struggling to paint lately.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

smallmouth posted:

Struggling to paint lately.

That eye seems a touch too forward but the mouth looks PERFECT.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Thanks for the observation. I think the whole thing is kind of a mess. :smith:

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Spinster posted:

I don't know what ref you are using but hair which goes in every direction is the hardest to draw.

This might sound a little bonkers but I am thinking about making a 3d model in the pose of the girl in the mural because my reference is from 5 sources - all with different lighting! Lesson learned in why poor photobashing makes poor reference. Also why master painters often hire their own models and take their own photos!!

Case in point.

Daily doodle.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 17, 2018

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Yessss did you use the same catface as reference as on the last page of the contour drawings?

The contour mlep was his sister

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

sigma 6 posted:

Case in point.

I JUST NOW realized what has been bugging me about the hair, it's originally been hanging down, hasn't it?
And I think right there above the shoulder is where someone was, right?
Since you're still working on this, please consider making this minor addition to improve the flow of the hair:

I gave it a highlight to better show the connection. It doesn't take a lot of adjusting from the original.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Today's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Bah, should've drawn something earlier in the day instead of waiting until midnight. Too tired to do something further with this.

https://twitter.com/Shinmera/status/965015620411641856