Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is this game better suited to KB/M or controller?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

I found lockpicking basically impossible on a 360 controller.

dpf
Sep 17, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

I use controller apart from when lockpicking. Transition is seamless, so it's no bother.

Also, how can I level up my repair skills? Keep razzing all my cash on repair.

I have a real high rep at R-town. The armourer says "NICE TO SEE YOU, HEINRICH" every time I show up then cusses me for "what I did" every time I ask for training.

Also, is it possible to do bandit killing quests by poisoning their food?

Also tips on good stealth kit gratefully appreciated

Where is the best place to get sneaky items?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Anyone have any idea why people are asking why someone stole my fancy clothes?

are you naked or wearing broken/unwashed gear?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'm so bad at leveling my maintenance. I always forget to sharpen the lovely swords I get from bandits before selling them, and I only ever notice my armor condition when it's already too damaged to fix with my barely existent skills.

Speaking of barely existent skills, the drunk priest buddy quest was great for me because I had like 1 level in Drinking starting out and left the quest at level 5. Must've been quite a night.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Oh god grinding alchemy up is going to be a GIGANTIC pain in the rear end isn't it

Is there a mod that just lets me hit button --> brew potion once I have the ingredients

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh god grinding alchemy up is going to be a GIGANTIC pain in the rear end isn't it

Is there a mod that just lets me hit button --> brew potion once I have the ingredients

It's a perk you can get at level 10. It does take a little while to get that, though. I just put a video on while I did it.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I went by Captain Bernard randomly because I wanted to do some sparring. Turns out it's real good for actually levelling your skills! He'll also teach you how to riposte which seems pretty useful but I can never make it go off in actual combat, is there a trick to it? In the training ring I just have to hit defend once and I bash him in the face, in combat I just pull off a block.

Combo's also look super fun, the only problem I have with it is that all non-sword weapons need level 7 before you get the first skillpoint.

Edit: Alchemy is only fun the first few times but at least I'm getting 3 potions a pop because I know how to read recipes. Marigolds are nice to have in the wild.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 17, 2018

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Is there no way to change this game’s difficulty?

Doesn't seem to be, no. But there's already a few mods to help out if you're on PC (more gold, free trainers), and I assume only more will be coming.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

DangerousDan posted:

Someone mentioned something along these lines a few pages back:

quote:

So, everybody level up your Maintenance skill. At level 6 you get a perk called Stuffing and it is absurd. Stuffing makes the noise rating drop on equipment you have personally repaired. And by drop it means sets to 0.

Buy one of every type of small maintenance kits, put on your full 100% condition equipment, and practice sword training for a few minutes in Rattay with a wooden sword. After that, all your equipment should have a couple points of damage to it. Repair all of it and watch your Noise stat drop from 100 to 0.

Become the silent dude in plate armor.

And someone else mentioned:

quote:

Make sure you're looting bladed weapons off your victims and repairing them at a grindstone for free maintenance XP. They also tend to sell pretty well so are generally worth picking up anyway.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
when i lockpick the vagina of the pig woman in the playing with the devil quest nothing happens. is there something else i'm meant to do? do i have to... put things from my inventory in there? :staredog:

edit: never mind, i'm using the lockpicking mod, which isn't comaptible with this quest

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 17, 2018

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The game's combat system breaks if you're not locked on because the enemy AI doesn't know what the gently caress to do. It is, however, hard as gently caress to be in combat and not be locked onto some enemy, you basically have to swing to the side of them and then cross over onto their body.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

DangerousDan posted:

I once cleared out a bandit camp, then found a wine barrel with the prompt "Poison Wine". So yeah, you can drop some poison in their drinks.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Has anyone dug up the preorder bonus stuff yet? Worthwhile?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Neurosis posted:

when i lockpick the vagina of the pig woman in the playing with the devil quest nothing happens. is there something else i'm meant to do? do i have to... put things from my inventory in there? :staredog:

edit: never mind, i'm using the lockpicking mod, which isn't comaptible with this quest

I went for the horse personally and it worked fine :v:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

So, there's an achievement called Bastard. It says that you find out who your real father is. I'm going to presume you're an undisclosed son of the kidnapped king, hence your later importance. Or possibly a relation of Radzig. . It is a bit cliché perhaps, but it would make some sort of sense that you were kept in some place that's quite unimportant.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
So first experience with this game: 2 minutes in I'm fistfighting a fat guy to make him pay for dad's tools and some dumb peasant lady decides to walk between us and eat a punch from me, landing me in jail and an instant game over.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Gobblecoque posted:

So first experience with this game: 2 minutes in I'm fistfighting a fat guy to make him pay for dad's tools and some dumb peasant lady decides to walk between us and eat a punch from me, landing me in jail and an instant game over.

Serves you right.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

How do you add more recipes to your herb book? Also, its possible to make poisons too right, since theres a perk that says poisons last longer on your weapon?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Has anyone dug up the preorder bonus stuff yet? Worthwhile?

Listen, there is a point in this game where you will start killing things in two hits through full armor, and all the dlc caches are full of cheaty bullshit. Don't do it! The most fun of this game is when you are a 99 lb. weakling getting sand kicked in your face

(or do it)

e: i mean this unironically, it just reads like the opposite.

reference easter egg spoiler: You guys probably know Roach is in the game, but there's also a bit of dialogue that says he came from some weird polish bloke, it was pretty cool. Did you also know Epona is in the game? The description mentions the horse will only respond to flute.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Feb 17, 2018

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i hope there's more to the theresa romance than when you (first?) have sex. she's so mixed up with henry's origins and how he got on the hunt for runt that it would be disappointing for that to be the end. she doesn't even acknowledge it when you talk to her. maybe henry is hung like an ant and this is the awkwardness that comes from her now wanting nothing to do with him because of how embarrassing it is.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'm going to go out on a limb and say the ending to In God's Hands is really disappointing. Did I do something wrong? I was chastised for being gone for a day so I could talk to Father Simon, and instead Johanka is apparently sweet on the dude who's been holding back supplies. That I bribed him for. What the gently caress.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

So do you poop in this game or what?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Grem posted:

So do you poop in this game or what?

The game emphasis's the drop command if you're sitting in a castle toilet/shithole, sadly the thins you drop fall in front of your instead of under you. :(

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Holy invisible walls. Escaping the castle early on was a loving nightmare because of that.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Red Mundus posted:

Holy invisible walls. Escaping the castle early on was a loving nightmare because of that.

You're supposed to go through the gate?

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Nah you can actually drop from the drawbridge. Has dialogue for it and everything.

I'm talking about after the escape. Kept running into invisible walls and waist high bushes everywhere trying to skirt around the town.

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

Red Mundus posted:

Nah you can actually drop from the drawbridge. Has dialogue for it and everything.

I'm talking about after the escape. Kept running into invisible walls and waist high bushes everywhere trying to skirt around the town.

Games have trained me a lot of bushes have 0 mass so I have done quite a bit of bush humping also.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

You know, I think lockpicking is actually pretty easy now that I understand it, it's just either insanely poorly explained or I just completely misunderstood the UI at first or something. Once it 'clicks' it's really easy, and then once you get to even just level 3 in it it becomes entirely trivial.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
both pickpocketing and lock picking go from hard to trivial over half an hour. kinda unfortunate

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

DangerousDan posted:

I use controller apart from when lockpicking. Transition is seamless, so it's no bother.

I have a real high rep at R-town. The armourer says "NICE TO SEE YOU, HEINRICH" every time I show up then cusses me for "what I did" every time I ask for training.

One of the easiest and cheapest ways to level maintenance is to sharpen every bandit sword you pick up. Other than that, just keep topping off your armor with kits, it's cheaper in the long run

Cleared out the first two towns worth of bandit hunt quests and I'm rich as hell now. All that Cuman armor selling has me up to 8k, even after I upgraded my horse.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Neurosis posted:

when i lockpick the vagina of the pig woman in the playing with the devil quest nothing happens.

It seems I am going to download this game. See you guys in a few hours!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Firstborn posted:

Listen, there is a point in this game where you will start killing things in two hits through full armor, and all the dlc caches are full of cheaty bullshit. Don't do it! The most fun of this game is when you are a 99 lb. weakling getting sand kicked in your face

(or do it)

e: i mean this unironically, it just reads like the opposite.

reference easter egg spoiler: You guys probably know Roach is in the game, but there's also a bit of dialogue that says he came from some weird polish bloke, it was pretty cool. Did you also know Epona is in the game? The description mentions the horse will only respond to flute.

I did it

I'm still pretty bad at swording so the armor balances that out, waaaaarrHOOOOORSSSEE

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I cannot for the life of me win against anyone better at swording than a bandit. Even if I perfect counter I feel like I can't get a hit in and opponents will just murder me with their parries/dodge counterattack shtick.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Aaargh! What do you do about enemies just grabbing you and throwing you if you get too close to them? It feels very unbalanced, is there nothing I can do to throw them? Also how do you actually kick? It's "F" right? I haven't landed a single kick on an enemy, they just grab me and throw me away. I like the game but it's very frustrating.
Also, do you actually gain some advantage and if so how do you use it when perfectly blocking a strike with "Q" at the moment the shield turns green?

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

I cannot for the life of me win against anyone better at swording than a bandit. Even if I perfect counter I feel like I can't get a hit in and opponents will just murder me with their parries/dodge counterattack shtick.

The trick seems to be to take your time, watch the enemy then mash block as soon as you see them attacking to get a riposte, followed by pressing in and stabbing them in the face. Get in a few hits as they stagger but pull back as soon as your stamina is getting low.

Also train, spend enough time sparring to get your physical stats and weapon skills to five or so, it makes a huge difference as does armour.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So if i didnt get the lockpicks from my friend where i can find some ones?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Anyone have any idea why people are asking why someone stole my fancy clothes?

I think its down to two things: Either you just got into a fight and lost some health, or all your clothes are dirty. The latter is very probable.

Edit: Well, this is a problem. The little expanding circle you use to find the sweet spot in lockpicking is just gone.

Edit 2: Had to restart the game, but that solved the issue.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Feb 17, 2018

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

DoctorGonzo posted:

So if i didnt get the lockpicks from my friend where i can find some ones?

The merchant in the Bailey in talmberg sells them if you're there. You can also find them in birds nests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I hope at some point you get the opportunity to start using polearms instead of just dinky little swords and axes. Halberds and the like are just plain cooler than boring ol swords and also enemies with them seem to be absolute monsters.