Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The Bloop posted:

I like the implication that the old music people listen to in TNG is not entertaining

It's what dumb people think smart people listen to. Riker was the wild rebel because he liked Jazz!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cingulate posted:

I‘m not saying I dislike dadrock.

We are the dadrockers now, our parents listen to granddadrock now

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
TNG was where pretentiousness meets the cost-savings of public domain music.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

We've all had the dadrock experience. The first time I distinctly remember feeling death's approach was flipping through channels and hitting Nirvana on the oldies station.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
All other music gets qualified with Classic. Classic Rock, there will probably be Classic Hip-Hip, Classic Dance, Classic Alternative(lmao)

But for some reason "Classic" on it's own came to describe orchestra music and that always seemed sorta gun-jumpy to me.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
There is also a difference between Classic __________ and Classical. Its the Classical which jars me.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I only listen to Ur-Classic Rock

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

bring back old gbs posted:

All other music gets qualified with Classic. Classic Rock, there will probably be Classic Hip-Hip, Classic Dance, Classic Alternative(lmao)

But for some reason "Classic" on it's own came to describe orchestra music and that always seemed sorta gun-jumpy to me.

I'm honestly surprised there isn't Classic Hip-Hop yet. I would love to hear "Nothin' but a G Thing" on the radio again.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

My only problem with the "classical music" gag from Beyond is that Futurama had already done it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C52MXbkhepQ

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Grand Fromage posted:

We've all had the dadrock experience. The first time I distinctly remember feeling death's approach was flipping through channels and hitting Nirvana on the oldies station.

A little bit of me dies every time I'm in a shopping mall and RHCP's Under the Bridge comes on the Muzak. All those people waddling through K-mart thinking 'ooooh what a nice song!' not knowing it's about the singer's battle with heroin addiction.

Not to mention Donovan's Sunshine Superman :smuggo:

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gynovore posted:

A little bit of me dies every time I'm in a shopping mall and RHCP's Under the Bridge comes on the Muzak. All those people waddling through K-mart thinking 'ooooh what a nice song!' not knowing it's about the singer's battle with heroin addiction.

Not to mention Donovan's Sunshine Superman :smuggo:
That Actual Dad Anthony Kiedis (is he still loving 18-year olds?) thought about his pioneering opiate addiction while writing the words for that piece of Muzak doesn't mean it's not Muzak, which it clearly is.

My point is, I want more violins in my Trek :colbert:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Cingulate posted:

That Actual Dad Anthony Kiedis (is he still loving 18-year olds?) thought about his pioneering opiate addiction while writing the words for that piece of Muzak doesn't mean it's not Muzak, which it clearly is.

My point is, I want more violins in my Trek :colbert:

It seems perfectly appropriate to me for songs about/informed by opiate addiction are used to pacify the roiling emotions of those in the throes of their shopping addiction.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

That this pro-click got lost in the dadrock chat makes its soundtrack pretty funny.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

This whole conversation is elitism 101. Way to be Cardassians, dudes.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Grand Fromage posted:

Just today I heard Alanis Morrissete's Ironic on the local classic rock station

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

Several years ago, my wife and I had sent our son to spend the night at his grandma's house so we could go in and deep-clean his room. (He was still a little kid and autistic; him cleaning it well was out of the question, and him getting rid of anything was equally unrealistic.) He had a stereo in his room, so we put it on 105.7 The Point, the best alternative rock station that St. Louis has to offer. After they'd played about 10 great songs in a row, we both paused and commented on how great the music was that evening. They were playing some of the best music we'd heard on that station, and they were playing a lot of it. It was, quite literally, remarkable.

Right at that moment, there is a station identification bump. A low, gravely, rock-n-roll-y voice then announces some cute line making a reference to a 90s movie and the 90s decade itself; this got our attention just in time to clearly hear, "It's another WAYBACK WEEKEND on ONE OH FIVE POINT SEVEN, THE POINT!!" That's when we knew we were old for sure, and there was no going back.

On the plus side, we finally realized that we were too old to care about things like that.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Just today I heard Alanis Morrissete's Ironic on the local classic rock station

And it was... completely expected.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Hipster_Doofus posted:

And it was... completely expected.

What if it was raining while it was playing?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

hanales posted:

What if it was raining while it was playing?

That's coincidence not irony!

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm honestly surprised there isn't Classic Hip-Hop yet. I would love to hear "Nothin' but a G Thing" on the radio again.

At least in Chicagoland, they absolutely have this. In fact I know I was listening to that exact song on the drive home on the radio just last month.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

tarlibone posted:

Several years ago, my wife and I had sent our son to spend the night at his grandma's house so we could go in and deep-clean his room. (He was still a little kid and autistic; him cleaning it well was out of the question, and him getting rid of anything was equally unrealistic.) He had a stereo in his room, so we put it on 105.7 The Point, the best alternative rock station that St. Louis has to offer. After they'd played about 10 great songs in a row, we both paused and commented on how great the music was that evening. They were playing some of the best music we'd heard on that station, and they were playing a lot of it. It was, quite literally, remarkable.

Right at that moment, there is a station identification bump. A low, gravely, rock-n-roll-y voice then announces some cute line making a reference to a 90s movie and the 90s decade itself; this got our attention just in time to clearly hear, "It's another WAYBACK WEEKEND on ONE OH FIVE POINT SEVEN, THE POINT!!" That's when we knew we were old for sure, and there was no going back.

On the plus side, we finally realized that we were too old to care about things like that.

I would argue that 93.3 KNSX was a better station back in the late 90s and early 2000s because they didn't get into the screamo and nü-metal fad that the Point did. It was nearly unlistenable ten years ago, though last time I was in Missouri it sounded like they had went back to more "traditional" alternative rock.

Those last three words were typed with tears streaming down my greying beard.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Oh god I just realized that The Orville is dadrock Star Trek.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

mycomancy posted:

:getin:

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

mycomancy posted:

Goddamn, it totally is.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
The Orville: Dad Trek generation

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Well, Disco is literally Star Trek: The Previous Generation.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

STD is actually Star Trek: :catdrugs:

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Peachfart posted:

Star Trek: :shroom:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Peachfart posted:

The show would have been a lot better if they leaned into "weird drug poo poo happening" instead of "90s comic book grade drama"

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Cingulate posted:

Well, Disco is literally Star Trek: The Previous Generation.

Star Trek: gently caress you Dad!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Mooseontheloose posted:

Star Trek: gently caress you Dad!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

It's closer to gently caress Everything, the nihilism trek, aside from the bits where everyone cheers for the main cast.

Edit: Hey, this actually IS our Dad's/Granddad's Trek.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Tilly was a bright light in the darkness that was Star Trek Disco.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Tilly was a bright light in the darkness that was Star Trek Disco.

Saru is cool as long as no one says the word ganglia again.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

socialsecurity posted:

Saru is cool as long as no one says the word ganglia again.

Yeah, the idea of a sapient species that evolved from a non-predatory species is interesting. Danger sense tingling like a wormy spiderman was just bad though.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, the idea of a sapient species that evolved from a non-predatory species is interesting. Danger sense tingling like a wormy spiderman was just bad though.

Why? He’s got a slightly stronger version of “I’ve got a bad feeling about this” and instead of “the hair on his neck rose” it’s “his ganglia protruded.”

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

TheCenturion posted:

Why? He’s got a slightly stronger version of “I’ve got a bad feeling about this” and instead of “the hair on his neck rose” it’s “his ganglia protruded.”

Because it's uneven. Sometimes it happens because he's worried and sometimes it's because he "senses danger" and other times it just doesn't happen at all.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Where the threat ganglia the part that the Terran Emperor liked to eat so much, I forgot

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I absolutely loathed Tilly for most of the episodes I saw, but people say she got better later. Saru was always good except when they ruined him for a bit. Shame about the rest of the cast though.

As for Orville characters, there are none I really hated. Some were a bit flat sometimes but they never got me to pause the video and develop a migraine from how awful or stupid they were or how badly they were introduced. That may be a low bar but STDs first episodes are like the definition of smacking into that bar over and over again.

Bortus, Isaac, Alara are great. Dr Finn, Kelly and Yaphit are good mostly, aside from the weirder arcs with them. The rest are ok, and sometimes swing wildly into being great depending on if the episode focuses on them or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Why's the Orville thread discussing Discovery, while the Discovery thread is discussing the Orville? It's like I'm in some kind of mirror universe.