Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
The Straight Pipes did a pre-production review of the Veloster N, looks pretty spicy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBRdWNKxj_Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
engine sounds cool

lol at the blue color accent inside on seatbelts and steering wheel

also lol cause it's still uggo as gently caress

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
actually those blue seatbelts are sweet

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
It looks a lot like a Juke.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The front reminds me of an RS with a more lexus-esq grille.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Saw a new DB11 today. This is the third one I've seen but the first one I was close to. It's quite sexy.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

cool startup feel posted:

Saw a new DB11 today. This is the third one I've seen but the first one I was close to. It's quite sexy.

gently caress that looks good.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
https://jalopnik.com/this-might-be-the-new-toyota-supra-in-racing-concept-fo-1823075843
I would love for the new Toyota Supra to rock my socks off but that front end styling is absolutely hideous. Way too busy. There's too much going on in it. They need to clean it up some & give it a little bit of a more iconic profile. Heck, they could have re-sold the original '93 Supra & I probably would have bought it, as that thing looked excellent.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

A3th3r posted:

I would love for the new Toyota Supra to rock my socks off but that front end styling is absolutely hideous. Way too busy. There's too much going on in it. They need to clean it up some & give it a little bit of a more iconic profile. Heck, they could have re-sold the original '93 Supra & I probably would have bought it, as that thing looked excellent.

You could replace the words "Toyota Supra" with literally any car model and the statement is still true.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
nuclear hot take:

mk4 supras are boring looking

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

BraveUlysses posted:

nuclear hot take:

MK4 Supras had about the same power as the equivilant 4th gen F-body (NA/TT vs V6/LS1) , same number of gears, same basic design, T-tops, etc. They are basically the same car and there is no reason why one should be worth more than the other. :clint:

donut
Feb 4, 2001

BraveUlysses posted:

nuclear hot take:

You're not wrong. They always looked kind of bulbous and jellybean to me. Compared to it's competition (high-end Japanese sports cars: 3000GT VR-4, FD RX-7, NSX, R32/33/34 GT-R) it's probably the least interesting design, except maybe the GT-Rs, but those work anyway because they're the monster version of a vanilla sedan. Even the two other Toyota sports cars from the era are more interesting IMO.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Throatwarbler posted:

MK4 Supras had about the same power as the equivilant 4th gen F-body (NA/TT vs V6/LS1) , same number of gears, same basic design, T-tops, etc. They are basically the same car and there is no reason why one should be worth more than the other. :clint:

One says 'Toyota' on it though?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

A3th3r posted:

That front end styling is absolutely hideous. Way too busy. There's too much going on in it. They need to clean it up some & give it a little bit of a more iconic profile.

I don't think it's a forgone conclusion that the road version will look like that below the headlights.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Throatwarbler posted:

My boss had a '97 turbo Supra and I've still got my '98 Corvette. Comparing the two his definitely had a nicer interior and never modifying it he was able to sell it for more than he paid, but I'll take the extra 30hp and that V8 sound over that massive turbo whine.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

davebo posted:

My boss had a '97 turbo Supra and I've still got my '98 Corvette. Comparing the two his definitely had a nicer interior and never modifying it he was able to sell it for more than he paid, but I'll take the extra 30hp and that V8 sound over that massive turbo whine.

pretty sure the corvette is faster and better handling around a track too

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
But you can mod the Supra to 1,000 hp without sacrificing the stock 0-60 time.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BraveUlysses posted:

And isn’t a $40k 25 year old Toyota.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

Faster? Maybe. But I think not. Better handling? Hahahahahahahaha

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

eyebeem posted:

But you can mod the Supra to 1,000 hp without sacrificing the stock 0-60 time.

:thurman: :perfect:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

JazzmasterCurious posted:

Faster? Maybe. But I think not. Better handling? Hahahahahahahaha

I know a stock C5 has a faster 0-60, 0-100 and quarter mile, but you got me interested to find any similar track times from that era. Unfortunately googling corvette vs supra just results in thousands of results from Supra forums of people bragging how a 700+hp modded Supra could TOTALLY rape a stock Corvette. Like, it wouldn't even be funny, bro!

Edit: Found a Motor Trend article from 1997 where they had a short road course, SupraTT 41.3 sec, C5 41.7 sec, F355 39.5 sec

davebo fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 17, 2018

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I played around with a few new Camaros at the dealership today and they have impossibly bad ergonomics. Maybe I'm used to my truck but it's astonishing how little usable space there is in a car that big. I guess it at least looks cool from the outside and is fast around a track if you manage to see out of it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You also can't see it out of them, like at all. They are completely undrivable because of that.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

The Camaro and the ATS its based on are basically pure distilled GM: Absolutely brilliant, world-beating engineering on the few aspects the team had carte blanche on developing, wrapped up in a borderline unusable piece of poo poo overall package.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Wheeee posted:

The Camaro and the ATS its based on are basically pure distilled GM: Absolutely brilliant, world-beating engineering on the few aspects the team had carte blanche on developing, wrapped up in a borderline unusable piece of poo poo overall package.

I'm still traumatized about it. I considered picking up a used ZL1 in a few years to scratch my urge for insane power, but will likely just get back into a used AMG or something.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the climate controls are genius

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
https://nyti.ms/2ByHsS6

quote:

More Luxury Buyers Ditch the Imports and Pick Up a Truck

General Motors’ GMC brand — which sells only trucks and S.U.V.s — accounted for 11.3 percent of domestic sales of models with an average price of $60,000 or more in 2017, according to data from Edmunds.com. Five years earlier, the brand made up a mere 0.1 percent of those sales.

Ford and Chevrolet saw similar but smaller jumps, driven by increasing high-end truck and S.U.V. sales. At the same time, the portion of over-$60,000 sales for luxury brands including Porsche, Mercedes-Benz, Lexus, Jaguar and Cadillac shrank.

It’s a competitive — and crucial — segment. With demand for cars shriveling, the Detroit three and even some foreign manufacturers acknowledge they are now losing money on many of the cars they sell. But a $60,000 truck can generate tens of thousands of dollars in operating profit.

At a recent investor conference, G.M. outlined a plan to produce more of the pricey Denali versions of GMC S.U.V.s and trucks. The company showed data indicating that the Denali line had an average sale price of $56,000 — more than the average price of a BMW, a Mercedes-Benz or an Audi.

“This thing,” G.M.’s president, Dan Ammann, said of the Denali line, “is a money machine.”

The other Detroit carmakers are heading in the same direction.

In October, Ford began making new versions of its eight-passenger Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator full-size S.U.V.s, and already has decided to make 25 percent more this year than it originally planned. In January, Navigators sold for an average of $77,000, thanks to strong sales of the top-of-the-line Black Label edition.

Fiat Chrysler is preparing to add more Jeep models, including a pickup and a full-size Grand Wagoneer.

In 2017, S.U.V.s and crossovers made up 41 percent of the market in the United States, up from 30 percent in 2013, according to Autodata. Luxury cars have gone in the opposite direction: They made up 5.4 percent of the market last year, down from 7.5 percent four years earlier.

And the priciest S.U.V.s and trucks are selling fastest. The high-end Lariat, King Ranch and Raptor models make up more than half of all F-150 sales, up from one-third a few years ago. Denali editions account for 29 percent of GMC’s sales, up from 21 percent.

Low gasoline prices are one reason that sales of high-end trucks are rising. Years ago, pickups and big S.U.V.s often traveled only 11 or 12 miles on a gallon of gas. Today, their fuel economy is often double that.

“The complaint that S.U.V.s are horrible on gas is not such a roadblock anymore,” said Mark Scarpelli, owner of two Chevrolet dealerships and a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep franchise in Illinois.

I think people also realized that owning a rapidly depreciating and insanely overcomplicated German car is just not that appealing

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

cool startup feel posted:

https://nyti.ms/2ByHsS6

I think people also realized that owning a rapidly depreciating and insanely overcomplicated German car is just not that appealing

Yeah, at least if you get a rapidly depreciating and insanely overcomplicated Ford you can see over traffic.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Because gas is never going to go up in price ever again, and gently caress the environment anyway.

:sigh:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

KozmoNaut posted:

Because gas is never going to go up in price ever again, and gently caress the environment anyway.

:sigh:

If it's luxury buyers making the move, it's not like those cars are all that fuel efficient either. Going from the A6 3.0T Quattro to the F150 EB 4WD is 8.7% difference in fuel economy.

Edit: if you're looking at it from a pure cost perspective, the Audi takes premium fuel as well...

Choco Zulu
Oct 10, 2007

A critical mass of chocolate confectionary
So a few pages back people were excited at the prospect of the Ranger Raptor coming to these shores, and I get the appeal. But what about an Edge Raptor? I was out for a walk yesterday and saw a white Edge with the now-familiar Raptor grille and 3 led's across the top, just under the front lip of the hood. However, it went by so fast that I couldn't get a photo. Has anybody else seen or heard of one?

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If it's luxury buyers making the move, it's not like those cars are all that fuel efficient either. Going from the A6 3.0T Quattro to the F150 EB 4WD is 8.7% difference in fuel economy.

Mid-high teens for the F150 vs 20-25 combined for the A6? That's a lot more than 8.7%, these buyers will be upset if gas prices rise close to $4 again.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Choco Zulu posted:

So a few pages back people were excited at the prospect of the Ranger Raptor coming to these shores, and I get the appeal. But what about an Edge Raptor? I was out for a walk yesterday and saw a white Edge with the now-familiar Raptor grille and 3 led's across the top, just under the front lip of the hood. However, it went by so fast that I couldn't get a photo. Has anybody else seen or heard of one?

Looks like its aftermarket

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-2017-...=p2047675.l2557

opengl fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 20, 2018

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

Choco Zulu posted:

Someone in the neighborhood where I work has a white edge with a blacked-out grille and rims and these translucent green/blue headlight covers and it looks baller as gently caress.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

Yeah, at least if you get a rapidly depreciating and insanely overcomplicated Ford you can see over traffic.

And if you have a small business, you can write off the entire purchase price of your luxury truck in its first year.

sanchez posted:

Mid-high teens for the F150 vs 20-25 combined for the A6? That's a lot more than 8.7%, these buyers will be upset if gas prices rise close to $4 again.

If you're spending $60K on a vehicle, you're likely not too sensitive to fuel costs.

I've made my peace with luxury trucks. They're the de facto American luxury vehicles. For many people, the luxury experience is close enough (and the size of the truck makes up for the interior not being as nice as a true luxury car), they're cheaper to own over the German marques, and they offer perceived utility that a sedan just doesn't have.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

It's not just perceived.

If I buy a 5 year old F-150 Lariat, I'm getting a 5 year old heavily built utility vehicle that happens to have a pretty fancy interior in it. If I buy a 5 year old German luxury car, I'm getting an unreliable shitbox car with outdated technology that's going to cost me a pile of money to keep on the road.

Just lol at the idea that trucks depreciate at anywhere near the rate of luxury cats

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Wheeee posted:

Just lol at the idea that trucks depreciate at anywhere near the rate of luxury cats

Meow

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I legitimately wonder what holds its value better... a 4 year old Purebred rag doll or e450.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

eyebeem posted:

I legitimately wonder what holds its value better... a 4 year old Purebred rag doll or e450.

Rag doll pisses less fluid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

eyebeem posted:

Mercedes owners value anything pure-bred more than a four year old car.